Author Topic: Broken Collarbone  (Read 1653 times)

Offline merrymaiden

• Learning
    • Windfallings of Grace
Broken Collarbone
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:28:46 AM »
A week ago, my fifteen year old brother tripped and hit the pavement hard. His shoulder received the worst damage; he also got a bad scrape next to his eye where his glasses scratched him (the glasses also received some injuries). His pain in his shoulder was bearable throughout the week and he seemed to improve.

Then yesterday, he went to open a door and suddenly his shoulder hurt just as bad, if not worse, as at first. We decided then it was time to take him to the doctor. We found out when he opened the door that his collarbone actually finished breaking. Evidently when he fell, he received a green break to his collarbone. Putting pressure on it completed the break.

The bones are aligned. He is wearing a shoulder "harness" to keep his back straight. If he isn't too active, the doctor says it should heal properly. He's going to a different doctor today to determine whether it needs a metal brace. We pray that won't be necessary.

I read the thread on here about broken bones and comfrey, vitamins, and other supplements. We'll definitely use those. Does anyone have any other advice to help a collarbone heal more quickly and effectively? I would be grateful for any information.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:51:10 AM by merrymaiden »
Glad in the LORD,

Miss Naomi ~ II Corinthians 3:5 & 9:8
Windfallings of Grace

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Re: Broken Collarbone
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:21:28 AM »
Hey merrymaiden!
We have been down that road! My DS at age 9 or 10 flipped head over his bike (we still don't know exactly how he managed that one) and came in the house with the wind knocked out of him. Turns out he had also broken his collarbone!

Of course, we went to the ER, and they didn't even give him a sling or anything! The (old) doctor on duty said the great thing about broken collarbones is that if the two ends are in the same room with each other, they will find each other and heal just fine. Sure enough, they did. And the bone ends were overlapping each other, too. J had a big knot there for about 2 years, but now the bone is smooth, and you can't even tell it was ever broken.

We didn't know about great stuff like comfrey at the time, but we did give him extra vit. C, and Bone Ami, both of which seemed to help. We also made a homemade sling which helped him a lot. And a little extra TLC, which he didn't seem to mind at all.  ;) Ahhh, the joy of boys!!!   ;D ;D
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline merrymaiden

• Learning
    • Windfallings of Grace
Re: Broken Collarbone
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »
Thanks, Mama Sita! My brother ended up getting surgery to have a steel plate put in. :o We didn't want to risk having it heal improperly and affect him for the rest of his life. Due to the incision, I was unable to do a comfrey poultice as I had planned. I basically left the bone alone and treated the incision. Ha, ha! ;D Aloe vera and vitamin E did a great job of healing him up. After he recovered from the surgery, he didn't complain once about his collarbone. He had full range of motion within a month. We were glad he had the surgery. His bone healed much more quickly and with less fuss.
Glad in the LORD,

Miss Naomi ~ II Corinthians 3:5 & 9:8
Windfallings of Grace