Author Topic: Wanted: E-coli information and cures.  (Read 8533 times)

Offline Becks

• Adept
Wanted: E-coli information and cures.
« on: May 21, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »
I've used the search engine and can't seem to find anything addressing this problem.  My connection is slow tonight... so maybe that has something to do with it.  I find it hard to believe this hasn't been discussed. 

I got e-coli along with 40 of my lady friends who attended a women's retreat.  We are in Mexico, so this is not unheard of.  I have a few questions.  It has been observed that the initial diarrhea goes away , but then cycles back again after a few days and then again after a few more days...How long will this cycle go on?   How can we get rid of this thing once and for all?  In my research I found mention of a blood disorder that can pop up after a few weeks from the initial beakout of e-coli.  What signs do we look for concerning this blood condition?  From the books I read this condition  didn't seem especially common, but it is the main concern with e-coli and the thing that makes it so dangerous.  My books didn't have much infomation about it and I can't remember the name of the blood condition.
Thanks for helping.

Offline MrsUkraineBible

• Learning
  • traditional Ukrainian cottage
Re: Wanted: E-coli information and cures.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »
I also have a question regarding e coli. Does anyone know how it can be safely (and effectively) treated without antibiotics during the first trimester of pregnancy?

Thanks for any suggestions or links.
MrsUkraineBible
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:59:52 PM by MrsUkraineBible »
Check out our blog to learn more about us and our ministry: www.bibleua.com

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:51:55 AM »
I wish I had more information for you.  I started this thread because I had e-coli.   My story is a sad one... I'm sorry to say.  At the time I didn't know I was in my first trimester of pregnancy.  I later found out.  In the end we miscarried the baby.  I don't know if it was the e-coli or not.  I had  other health problems too at the same time... so who knows.  Praying you find information and have a healthy happy pregnancy. 

Do you have the book "Herbal Antibiotics?  It recommends various herbal cures and it would be a good place to start.  We didn't have access to these herbs here where we work, or at least I didn't know the words for them in Spanish.  I'm thinking of stocking up on them and bringing them back from the states next time we go.  I'm not at my home right now where my book is at or I'd type a list of what they reccommend.  Maybe The Pearl's herbal website will list some of the cures from "The Herbal Antibiotic."
The nurse we know here says it's best not to treat it with antibiotics, so that's good that you are going that route and staying away from those.  I read an article that said the bleeding condition that complicates e-coli is more common after treating it with antibiotics.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:13:43 AM »
Becks, I'm sorry for your loss.  :'(

As far as treating E-coli during pregnancy as far as I know, Colloidal Silver is safe during pregnancy.

Also, Super Tonic would probably work great & would be safe during pregnancy- assuming your stomach can handle it.

Immune Awake, Master [Power] Tonic

As far as treatment for symptoms, ginger or mint for vomiting, blackberries, blueberries or slippery elm for diarrhea, etc. Activated charcoal can also help, esp since it also adsorbs the toxins.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:27:07 PM »
I would think you could use d-mannose also.  It attracts e-coli and even though it's used for UTI's it still has to go through the digestive tract to get to the kidneys and bladder.  I would expect it would attract any e-coli bugs along that route.  It would be very safe during pregnancy.  I would expect using 1 tsp. 4 times a day for several days would fix it. 

just a thought.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 06:26:18 AM »
Strong (many organisms and many strains) probiotic supplements and fermented foods kimchi, sauerkraut, and especially kefir and kombucha.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline MrsUkraineBible

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Sour milk products and probiotics are a regular part of my diet and I'll be looking making into the "super tonic". I looked up d-mannose but have no idea where I could get it over here. I should say that the e coli is not intestinal, but vaginal. Therefore there is no vomiting, diarrhea, or other such symptoms. My dr recommended local treatment with antibiotics after the 12th week of gestation. I'm looking for a more conservative treatment, but am feeling cautious about doing too much "down there" this early in pregnancy. Perhaps collodial silver could be applied topically?  Any more suggestions or experiences? I'll post if I get any positive results from natural treatments.

Thanks everybody!
MrsUkraineBible
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:28:54 PM by MrsUkraineBible »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:55:23 PM »
Even though it's E-coli & not the other usual causes of vag infections these threads should help:

Bacterial Vaginosis: Causes & Cures

Fungal-Bacterial Infections

As far as col. silver, I think I would take it internally as long as it's safe for pregnancy. Extra insurance that you actually got it all & I doubt it's actually only present vaginally at this point so might as well treat the whole body.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »
Here is how d-mannose works to wash e.coli away:

D-mannose is a naturally occurring sugar similar in structure to but metabolized differently from, glucose (a component of table sugar). Because the body metabolizes only small amounts of D-mannose and excretes the rest in the urine, it doesn’t interfere with blood-sugar regulation even in diabetics.

The cell wall of the UTI-causing E. coli bacteria has tiny finger-like projections that contain complex molecules called lectins on their surfaces. These lectins are cellular glue that binds the bacteria to the bladder wall so they cannot be readily rinsed out by urination.  However, because D-manose molecules will glom on to these lectins and fill up all of the bacterial anchoring sites, the bacteria can no longer attach to the bladder wall and are, therefore, flushed away. In other words, unlike antibiotics, D-mannose does not kill any bacteria, whether they are good or bad, but simply helps to displace them.

Visualize the bacteria as burrs sticking to the lining of your clothes unless they are so covered with lint that they fall away. Essentially, D-mannose represents the molecular lint that makes the bacterial burrs fall away from your urinary-tract lining.

~~~

You may want to consider d-mannose to prevent a UTI since the e.coli could easily be passed to the bladder.

I am wondering if vaginal application of d-mannose would be sensible??

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 08:21:34 AM »
To get d-mannose in your diet:

Mannose is found in cranberries, blueberries, black and red currants, gooseberries, green beans, fenugreek, capsicum, cabbage, aubergine, tomatoes, turnips, shiitake mushrooms, kelp, and aloe vera. It is vital in preventing and curing urinary tract infections and stomach ulcers. Mannose is antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and antiparasitic. Mannose also stimulates collagen production and therefore plays a role in preventing arthritis and heart disease.

~~~

Select the low sugar foods!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 08:32:29 AM »
Robert J. Rowen recommends

* natural antibacterials and immune stimulants like Carnivora, vitamin A, echinacea, olive leaf extract, aloe vera, pau d’arco, propilis, citrus seed extract, and oil of oregano.

* to fight infection and detoxify, Rowen recommends oxidation and high-dose intravenous vitamin C.

* following an infection be sure to detox to purge dead germs and toxins.

* support the liver and kidneys with herbs and appropriate foods to enhance detox and elimination.
~~~
Pregnant women need to check for the safety of any treatment protocol.

Offline MrsUkraineBible

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »
Ok, I'm ready to order some d-mannose but the warnings to "consult with your dr if you're pregnant, planning to become pregnant or lactating" kind of bother me. Everything else that I've read seems to say that d-mannose is super safe for preggos.... What do you all know about its safety during early pregnancy?

Thanks.
MrsUkraineBible

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Ok, I'm ready to order some d-mannose but the warnings to "consult with your dr if you're pregnant, planning to become pregnant or lactating" kind of bother me. Everything else that I've read seems to say that d-mannose is super safe for preggos.... What do you all know about its safety during early pregnancy?

Thanks.
MrsUkraineBible

I don't think it would be any problem at all preggo or nursing. Since d-mannose is used over the counter medicinally to treat bladder infections the warning is to try to get you to go see a Dr instead of treating yourself. It's just to cover their legal liability. Everything I've seen about d-mannose it seems safe for pregnancy & nursing. Personally, I would go ahead & use it preggo or nursing. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom