Author Topic: Using duck eggs when allergic to chicken eggs  (Read 5848 times)

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
Using duck eggs when allergic to chicken eggs
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
We have used duck eggs for several years with no apparent problems.  Hubby doesn't like taste, rest of us are fine - minimal difference to us.

Current compromise is he gets to eat chicken eggs but i use duck eggs in all cooking/baking where he isn't eating eggs straight.

I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Using duck eggs when allergic to chicken eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:21 AM »
We also use duck eggs with great results whenever we can get them.  My ND recommended that, because of how highly sensitive I tested for chicken eggs (white and yolk) that I use duck eggs in cooking but not as my main course.  That has worked well for us.  My kids eat them for b-fast on occasion and love them. We have found them hard to find though.......

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
One question: I am planning to try duck eggs for our daughter.   Has anyone had any experience of these working/not working after testing allergic to chicken eggs?   

Offline sickmomgirl

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »
yes i'm wondering the same thing. i tested 4 to eggs on ELISA, and would like to try duck eggs as a substitute for my main course at breakfast. think there is a place i can buy some. if i get it, i'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »
Have any of you tried eggs from other fowl, besides chicken and duck? I'm thinking, specifically, of eggs from guinea fowl.

From looking at a few "family trees", it looks, to my untrained eye, that chickens are more closely related to peacocks and turkeys, than to guinea fowl. Chickens are grouped with pheasant, peafowl, turkeys, grouse, and several others, whereas guinea fowl are in a group of their own.

From personal experience, I can say that guinea eggs taste similar to chicken eggs, only richer. They are smaller, but the conversion of recipes shouldn't be hard since two guinea eggs are roughly equivalent to one large chicken egg.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!