Remedies & Therapies > Cancers

Mouth Sores from Cancer treatment

(1/2) > >>

mamaofangels:
I'm looking for things to help with mouth sores.  My dad is fighting lung cancer that has spread to his brain with radiation and Chemo.  A side effect is really dry mouth and mouth sores.  Any suggestions on things that could help with this?  We need to keep these under control so he doesn't lose his appetite.  Thanks for the help.
Jenny

mykidsmom:
This is not natural, but it works.  You can take 1 tbls of cherry flavored liquid maalox and 1 tsp. of liquid benadryl.  Mix the two together and have him swish with it as long as he can (a minute or so).  The maalox softens the tisses, covers the taste, and coats the mouth, and the benadryl numbs the mouth sores.  Then he can spit out the mixture.  I would not recommend swallowing it because then he'll get benadryl in his system and you don't want that over and over. 

In the natural realm the only thing I can think of would be to drink teas that are mucilage.  Slippery Elm and marshmallow root come to mind.  I don't know that they'll give him what he needs immediately, but over the long haul they would help to heal the membranes that are being dried out. 

hth

patti

WellTellMommy:
The cause of the mouth sores (IMO) would be the toxicity that the chemo is releasing, so if that's the case any way you could flush the toxins out faster would help prevent them, I suggest warm lemon water every morning before 10AM, epsom salt baths, lots of water, keep his system flowing!
  Other than that I know that when I was younger & would get a cold sore zinc, potassium, magnesium, greatly helped.

mykidsmom:

--- Quote from: WellTellMommy on May 01, 2010, 01:26:23 AM ---The cause of the mouth sores (IMO) would be the toxicity that the chemo is releasing, so if that's the case any way you could flush the toxins out faster would help prevent them, I suggest warm lemon water every morning before 10AM, epsom salt baths, lots of water, keep his system flowing!
  Other than that I know that when I was younger & would get a cold sore zinc, potassium, magnesium, greatly helped.

--- End quote ---

Actually, the mouth sores are because chemo kills ALL cells, including soft tissue cells, quickly and they cannot regenerate fast enough.  Areas that are particularly sensitive to this are the mouth, throat, esophagus, stomach lining, intestinal lining, etc.  Anything that has a mucilage lining is susceptible.  Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid this except maybe to make sure one is drinking LOTS of marshmallow root and slippery elm root tea throughout chemo. 

patti

healthybratt:
Adding plantain to any herbal teas might help speed healing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version