Author Topic: Do I have Type II diabetes?  (Read 5348 times)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
Do I have Type II diabetes?
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:38:48 AM »
I wasnt sure where to put this. Did a search. My fasting blood sugar this morning was 129 and 119!!!  I have had gestational diabetes 3 times in the last 6 yrs or so. My A1C 3 months ago or so was 5.9 I think.   Should I ask my doctor for a Glucose Tolerence Test?  I am not pregnant that I know of.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Do I have Type II diabetes?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »
I wasnt sure where to put this. Did a search. My fasting blood sugar this morning was 129 and 119!!!  I have had gestational diabetes 3 times in the last 6 yrs or so. My A1C 3 months ago or so was 5.9 I think.   Should I ask my doctor for a Glucose Tolerence Test?  I am not pregnant that I know of.

I would not describe yourself as diabetic at this point.  They keep lowering the numbers for what is considered diabetes without really having justification for doing so.  I think you can safely say you are very insulin resistant and you need to be on top of that as you can end up diabetic.  I just wouldn't put yourself there right now.  Obviously, making diet changes is important but I have found internal inflammation to be as big a factor as diet.  I would just encourage you to watch your sugar intake (all types), lose weight if you need to, avoid starchy foods like carrots, potatoes and corn.  You might try some of the supplements available for insulin resistance.  Cinnamon comes to mind and a few others.  If you've got food allergies/sensitivities, take care of those as they will also reduce inflammation.  And avoid doctors at all cost, which means getting your blood sugar normal. 

I was a gestational diabetic with my last baby as I had severe pancreas damage from pancreatitis.  I was on insulin my last few months of pregnancy.   It took me some time, but my fasting BS is now 82.  I have reduced the amount of inflammation I was having as a result of allergies, diet, etc. and I'm still 35 pounds overweight.  So weight really has less to do with it then inflammation, I believe. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:19 AM »
Thanks Patti for all the suggestions...

! I know weight loss helps, I am in the process of doing that.  (Trying with Gods help) :) 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:53:41 AM »
According the the link below, I am close to Impaired Glucose Tolerence, and I have increased risk for heart attack.  My fasting this morning was 122  My one hour post meal last night was around 140

Ok someone gave me a good link that tells if you have diabetes, with monitering your own blood sugar and A1C levels tell if your heart attack risk is up.   Very good site....for  anyone to check and see where you are

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046889.php

A1C levels Predict Heart Attack

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15945839.php

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:51:22 PM »
I was able to get another 1 hour post meal the next day 139   So I decided to do an experiment and try PGX fiber before supper. They say it lowers blood sugar a whopping 20% - 40%!!

I just proved it to be true... PGX lowered my blood  sugar 33% down to  the nice low number of 94 and that was 1 hour post meal after a huge carb loaded supper!!!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:48:31 AM »
Just  updating this thread. Went to doctor today, and she said I DO have Type II diabetes.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »
Herbs girl, just as another potential thing to look into, you might get your ferritin (iron) levels checked.  I have been reading Down Sizing Your Body, by Bill Sardi.  So far I have been dumbstruck by the links between excess iron and insulin resistance.  They make perfect sense from everything that I have seen in my husband's family (overweight) and in my own (underweight).  I have no idea what your history is but I would guess from your first post that your have not gone through menopause yet.  If you are pre-menopausal and overweight you might still have too much iron (even if tests show otherwise).  There is a ton of iron added to processed foods, especially breads and cereals.  I think you are on the right track with fiber, bran specifically can help.  I never knew before about the link between iron and insulin, but there are also some references on Mercola's website that I found yesterday.  I am not far into Sardi's book, but I definitely recommend it so far!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »
Born-an-okie thanks for the suggestions!  I will definatly look into the iron level thing.

I am 27, not quite in menopause yet! :D   I am curious though, you said I could have too much iron, even though tests show otherwise?  Does that mean the iron test are not accurate?

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:05:23 AM »
There are a variety of tests for iron, iron saturation % and iron storage protein (ferritin) are just two types.  There are others.  It appears that the problem with results showing a normal iron level is that obese individuals often have low-grade inflammation or infection with causes the body to store iron away from those areas.  Blood serum iron level tests can be inaccurate or confusing because of this.  Usually most iron is in our blood, as it should be, but with inflammation or infection the body stores it in other places.  For this reason it can be difficult to just use test results to know if you have excess iron.  I would think you would need a couple different tests to tell, particularly ferritin to know if you have excess iron.

Hemochromatosis is a genetic trait that causes excess iron storage.  According to Mercola's website, this genetic trait affects 1 out of 400 people of North European descent.  Individuals with this trait are much more likely to have diabetes.  Iron can damage the beta cells in the pancreas that produce insulin.

All of this comes from Sardi's book.  The studies he sites are really interesting.  Even individuals with a "normal" iron level benefited from donating blood to reduce their iron levels and experienced greater insulin sensitivity.

It would think it unusual for you to have iron overload given your age, etc, but being overweight makes a difference.  You blood supply will naturally be greater for instance, and you might have inflammation which would cause you body to store iron. 

There also seems to be a big difference in what food sources your iron comes from and iron storage.  Red meats have very bio-available iron and someone who consumes the same amount of iron from plant sources (beans, etc) will not absorb it nearly so well.  At the very least cutting out supplements with iron might be a good idea for a while.

That's all I have time for right now,  I'll have to read more of the book!!!