Author Topic: horse and dog roundwormer for human worms  (Read 5043 times)

Offline sickmomgirl

• Adept
horse and dog roundwormer for human worms
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:35:01 AM »
I found this info from an ND on a website. you only have to take one dose and it is supposed to kill all the worms. Does anyone know if this is safe and effective?

n my opinion, the safest, cheapest, easiest, most effective way to worm yourself and your pets of the most common worms (roundworms--also called strongyles, thread worms, pinworms, ascarids) is to go to the local feed store and get a bottle of horse or dog roundwormer--Equi-Phar, ProTal, Strongid-T, and Nemex are all trade names of Pyrantel Pamoate. I say this because when you ask your doctor for a wormer, they usually tell you there is no need for you to be wormed. Make sure it says Pyrantel Pamoate on the label and nothing else added. Combination wormers are not always needed and not always safe.

Dosage: Use the dose of 5-10 mg/kilogram bodyweight (about 1 ml/5 pounds) of bodyweight for dogs and humans and 1 ½ ml/5 pounds for cats. In layman's terms that is 1 teaspoon per 25 pounds. If you are not good at math, you'll want to double-check that you are taking the correct dosage. Although this wormer is so safe that you can take 40 times the amount with no harmful side effects, you don't want to under dose. And, "If a little is good, a LOT is not necessary better."

One dose is all it takes if you are worming twice a year, but you may have to give a second dose 7-10 days after the first dose for the initial worming. I use this twice a year for myself as I have had a history of heart palpitations (another symptom associated with parasites.) The worms will be dead within 20 minutes. You won't feel anything and should have no side-effects. Occasionally I see a pet get nauseated with an overdose, but in 30 years, I have never seen any other side-effect. No, you won't likely see them pass in your stool.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: horse and dog roundwormer for human worms
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:58:10 AM »
wow, interesting! some for the owner, some for the dog! anyone used this before?? 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."