Author Topic: Fast-Five Diet: Updates, Encouragement & General Chat  (Read 31479 times)

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
Re: Fast-Five Diet: Updates, Encouragement & General Chat
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2010, 03:12:07 PM »
Day one was pretty good for me.  :D  I didn't even feel hungry.  The only time I though about food was in the morning when I was making kids' breakfast, and I always ate breakfast before.  I just hope it continues to be easy.  ::)

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »

This could be me.  I've been contemplating this because exercising alone (which usually works for me) is not working at all.  I love Fit for Life but am having a hard time sticking to it this time around.  I feel so much better when I'm fasting that I may give this a try.  Since I'm feeling so yucky sick today might be the day to start (since I'm not eating anyway).  And I so will not give up my coffee and cream!

patti

I'm just the opposite - I'm doing this and not exercising.  I keep telling myself I should.  I can imagine if you are consistent with exercising while doing fast 5, it should work really well.  I'm a little worried about starting to exercise again.  I'm afraid that if I exercise in the morning that I will be starving all day.  Do you want to be the guinea pig and let me know if that is the case?  ;D ;D  Morning really is my only option.  As much as I would love to say I could just exercise later in the day or evening, I know it will never happen. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 08:18:32 AM »

This could be me.  I've been contemplating this because exercising alone (which usually works for me) is not working at all.  I love Fit for Life but am having a hard time sticking to it this time around.  I feel so much better when I'm fasting that I may give this a try.  Since I'm feeling so yucky sick today might be the day to start (since I'm not eating anyway).  And I so will not give up my coffee and cream!

patti

I'm just the opposite - I'm doing this and not exercising.  I keep telling myself I should.  I can imagine if you are consistent with exercising while doing fast 5, it should work really well.  I'm a little worried about starting to exercise again.  I'm afraid that if I exercise in the morning that I will be starving all day.  Do you want to be the guinea pig and let me know if that is the case?  ;D ;D  Morning really is my only option.  As much as I would love to say I could just exercise later in the day or evening, I know it will never happen. 

Unfortunately (for you), I'm a nighttime exerciser.  I usually work out from 10:00-11:00pm.  And my window would be from 5:00-10:00.  I've been sick this past few days and yesterday I didn't feel like eating until 7:00pm or so.  I did fine eating what little I did before bed, but I was sick.  Usually, I cannot go to bed without food in my stomach or my blood sugar wakes me at 2:00am.  I'll see what happens if I decide to do this.  This morning I felt better and ate breakfast.  That will be my sticking point.  I usually NEED breakfast and then I'm fine until dinner around 6:00.  Not sure if I'll do this yet or just cut back my calories in general.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2010, 10:08:33 AM »
i got scales yesterday and we were playing with the storage settings on them all day long.

if the scales can be trusted to be accurate, then i gained 2.4 lbs while i was sleeping.

anyway, after some review of my version of this diet, i'm not very hopeful anymore.  i've gotten used to eating this way.  it only bothers me occasionally to smell or see others eat; however, i see no additional weight loss other than what i saw in the first week and it's even quite probably that i've gained a couple of those pounds back (my wedding ring is stuck on).  i feel drained and not energetic as others seem to be.  i'm tired and if i take cod liver oil at night to help i'm awake all night which just makes me more tired and drained.  i almost feel sick after eating my evening meals.  my digestion has slowed.  it increased for a bit when i started because i began eating alot of fresh fibrous veggies i presume, but even upon continuing with the same assortment and other additions (more cabbage), my digestion has slowed again to the point of constipation.  i could (probably) have some other issues that i have yet to diagnose, but i've cleansed, i've supplemented and i've covered all the obvious bases. 

in summary:  i don't intend to stop eating this way immediately, i guess because i'm used to it and i may yet make some progress.  we will be getting new bicycles soon (i hope) and i intend to ride mine.  i've tried other forms of exercise (rebounder, ttaps, cardio, etc.) and they never work and i hate them all so won't be consistent anyway.

sorry to be a poopoo.  glad to hear others are having success.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »
I started on Saturday, just like I said I would.  So today is Day #3, and I'm doing okay.  For me, it wasn't that hard to transition to once a day eating.  I'll give it a week and see how it goes.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2010, 03:57:22 AM »
i gave up cream (and or milk) in my coffee four days ago.  i've gained four lbs since my last post.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »
Oh HB!

I'm sorry.

I think you should go no carb (less than 15-20/day).  Since I've been doing this along with fast five, others in my extended family who had been stalling on their LC diets started this with good results. 

Doesn't low carb and fasting sound like a lot of fun?   :P

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »

Yeah - not really.  :P   :D 

Well, I've kind of fallen off the bandwagon, sad to say.  Shortly after my last post, I gained a pound and a half.  I was kind of bummed.  Then this weekend, I didn't do so great.  I also started feeling more constipated all of a sudden.  I had been detoxing when I started this and it has been about 2 weeks since I stopped detoxing.  So I don't know if that had anything to do with it.  I hope I didn't just ruin the detox.  Well, hubby and I were talking and he wants to start Body for Life.  I told him I would do it with him if we actually do it.  He said we would start yesterday.  So I ate during the day and we didn't do the exercise.  Today is half over and nothing.  So I might be back here if we don't end up doing Body for Life very soon! ;D 

I will say that I think this is a good way to keep eating in check.  I do notice even now that it has been very easy just in the last couple of days to go back to mindless eating.  For me, it boils down to self-control.  Whether it is self-control to not eat until 5:00 or self-control to stop eating when I start or say no when I should, etc.  It is just easier for me to say no if I just don't start in the first place.  As of this point, I'm still down 5 pounds!  Let's hope I don't ruin that!  ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 05:24:40 PM »

um...NO
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Amos

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2010, 04:39:12 AM »
Yesterday ended my 7th week and I have lost 6.5 pounds. So just shy of the 1 pound a week. I would have to say that the hardest part of this diet for me is that it works sooo S-L-O-W! After my first week, I basically stalled.

Well, a few weeks ago I went with a group to Amish Country and we went out for our "package" breakfast at a nice restaurant. I decided to eat since it was a one time thing. How bad could that be? I was stalled anyway.  Well, throwing my system off seemed to work in my favor - I had dropped another pound when I got home. And it was not hard on me the next day getting back into it.  And it has been a consistent pound/week except this last week it was only .5.  I have been sick and taking extra herbs at all times, so maybe that was it.

I just wondered if eating breakfast once every 3 weeks would keep my system from becoming too comfy with the routine of 2-7. I have not tried it again, but I am toying with the idea.

Does this make any sense? Maybe it was just a fluke. Any thoughts?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2010, 07:16:46 AM »
overall, i'd rate this diet trial a complete failure.  i ate lunch yesterday because we had out-of-town company and today i ate lunch as well, cuz..well why not?  not sure what i'll do tomorrow, but i see no reason to make myself crazy when it's not doing any good.  i've been on it a total of 13 weeks and have lost approx 5 lbs and gained 6.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Amos

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »
So sorry, HB. That would be frustrating to go that long with not much to show for it.

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
Ok, I finally got some time to post.
I've been cheating.  :o  :-[  The first few days were ok and then the weekend came.  We went to Seattle and I couldn't do the diet there.  We went out 2 times and had some really good food.  :-\  I think I should have ate less.  :(
This whole week I couldn't wait till 4pm so I would start snacking at 3:00 or 3:30 and I would have some tea at 10:00. (I usually have something with my tea)  It's so hard not to have something since it's my time to unplug after a long and stressful day.  I just recently figured out that I eat when I'm stressed out, so some days are extremely hard for me.  :-\

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2010, 04:19:40 AM »
I've completed 2 weeks, and lost 5 lbs.  :)

There was one day I cheated, day 14 I woke up with a head cold and the first day of my period.  I ate homemade whole wheat bread with peanut butter for breakfast.

Other than that, it hasn't been that difficult for me.  I'll likely continue for another couple of weeks, but I likely won't be as strict.  I've discovered that I don't need food as much as I thought.  With the beautiful weather, I'll be doing more yard work, so hopefully the increased exercise will help with the weight loss.

I started on Saturday, just like I said I would.  So today is Day #3, and I'm doing okay.  For me, it wasn't that hard to transition to once a day eating.  I'll give it a week and see how it goes.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2010, 12:35:38 PM »
Did I post this book recommendation to this thread already?  ;)

Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Micheals. A must read, IMO.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2010, 08:31:20 AM »
There was a perk to doing this diet.  Still no weight loss, but it did reduce my appetite by leaps and bounds.  Even when I started eating lunch again.  I find I eat about 1/3 of what I used to.  I snack much less and much smaller and my supper plates are about 1/2 what I used to eat.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2010, 04:14:10 AM »
There was a perk to doing this diet.  Still no weight loss, but it did reduce my appetite by leaps and bounds.  Even when I started eating lunch again.  I find I eat about 1/3 of what I used to.  I snack much less and much smaller and my supper plates are about 1/2 what I used to eat.

What a good side effect from doing the diet!  HB, I have been chaning things up. I think that calorie shifting is a good way to get the metabolism going.  I did Fast-5 for a few times, but My DH and I are getting ready to do a new way of intermittent fasting, its the Dr. Johnson's up day down day diet.... website is here

http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

I am hoping to comitt to this up day down day diet for 2 weeks with my DH, then I may shift to something else.  I may come back to Fast-5 occasionally to shake things up.

Dr JOhnson did a study on this diet for poeple with asthma, and in 8 weeks they lost 8% of their body wieght and a drastic improvment in thier asthma, with increased energy.  My DH has asthma, and low energy sometimes, so I think this will help him probably help him.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:20:29 AM by herbs girl »

Offline goingforten

• Learning
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2012, 05:24:01 AM »
HB I know this is a really old thread but i had to reply. Right now I'm learning about the metabolism and one of the things I've learned  is that when you restrict your carbs,  your metabolism slows down. You're okay for a while (lose weight, feel better, allergies disappear) because its still running on normal, but after a while it will slow down. Carbs (as in bread, potatoes, ect) and sugar are foods that keep it running on high. If you restrict its food supply it will go into starvation mode, slowing weight loss and digestion in order to eek out every little bit of energy out that's possible. That's why you become constipated even though you are eating less. Other symptoms are feeling cold, lack of energy, hair and nails suffering, ect... It's tied in with the thyroid and there's so much more to it that I'm learning. This all just to say restricting carbs for a couple weeks might be okay but it is detrimental to your health over a long period of time.I don't know how GAPS ties in with this, I did it for a couple of months but had to quit because of above symptoms. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can comment ?

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2012, 06:21:23 AM »
Here is an article on glucose and how lowering glucose too much can have negative health consequences:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/07/dr-paul-jaminet-interview.aspx

In general, restricting grains and sugars is still a very good idea, but in practice it is very individual, and what works for one person may not be suitable for someone else.  My mom feels much better when she adds in white potatoes to her diet.