Author Topic: Fast-Five Diet: Updates, Encouragement & General Chat  (Read 32281 times)

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
  • Our 'Babies', Summer and Sarah Rose
    • Anna Fogg
Re: Fast-Five Diet: Updates, Encouragement & General Chat
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »
Atkins made me crazy.  I had plateaued too low carbing it and when that happens, one has to work out for a week like a fiend.  With Atkins I tried and did a good job for 2 weeks, and then I found Suzanne Somers method of Somersizing and I really loved that method. If it wasn't for  learning about Fast 5, that would really be the only choice for me.  This method is just superior, even more than Somersizing, because for me the best part is not having to think so much about food.  What a great pressure that was.  And then you plan each thing you eat, in my house, with 10 other people, hiding the food that you need all the time, and just trying hard not to cheat.  With Fast 5 I just wake up and start my day and I don't even contemplate food. 

Today was  day 8 for me, lost another pound, but today my energy level has increased exponentially.  That was a saw a woman on Youtube say.  She's been doing this for 4 yrs.  I had a Pilates class for 1 hr and 15 mins then I rode a stationary bike for 6 miles, and I could have gone longer.  I then went and worked with my son alongside his music theater instructor and then spent 3 hrs with my girls grocery shopping. I went an hour over my eating start time and I was just super, even in the grocery store.  I am hopeful and optimistic that this energy will stay and my willpower will only increase.  Has anyone else had more energy than they were used to?

I actually felt like a superhero walking through both grocery stores being able to resist  everything.  I was mostly craving vegetables and came home and made a stir-fry with peppers, onions, snap peas, brocolli, cabbage and more....that's what I  have been craving all along and was missing getting enough of those in my diet after these 8 days. 

~anna
I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 03:51:34 PM »
I was mostly craving vegetables and came home and made a stir-fry with peppers, onions, snap peas, brocolli, cabbage and more....that's what I  have been craving all along and was missing getting enough of those in my diet after these 8 days.  

~anna
i've been having strong cravings myself.  the first couple of weeks it was green beans.  now i'm onto onions upon onions.  i can't seem to get enough onions and i never even liked onions before - weird.   ;D

oh, and although i was very free with the sweets, chocolate, candy, etc the first couple of weeks, i'm finding now, that i will begin to think i want something sweet and then i eat it and really wished i hadn't.  after a couple of evenings like that, the sweets are sounding less and less appealing.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
Paging herbsgirl!  Are you still doing this?  I would love to read an update!  HB - any chance you've bought a scale yet?  Or weighed yourself recently at your MIL?  It sounds like you're doing well!

I just started this today.  My goal was to go 4-9.  Right now, it is 3:30 and I really want to eat.  I might cave and do 3:30 to 8:30 instead and gradually work to a later time.  :)  I just know that the later I go, the better I would do before bedtime.  :) I think this might be doable, though.  Today really wasn't bad at all.  But then again, I read the book this afternoon and it says that usually days 4-6 are harder to get through.  Anyone have experience with this? 

It does help to be able to come on here and proclaim that I am starting this.  I do find that it always helps keep me on track a little better.  ;D

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
Well, good for you for treating the issue!! 

I was amazed.  I made it to 3:45 today.  I ate a little bit and then waited for dinner.  At dinner, I felt like I got stuffed so easily!!  I was kind of surprised.  My hubby wants me to make a smoothie later tonight, so that should be just about perfect.  I am a little surprised by how "easy" today was.  We'll see how the next few days go. 

The only thing that was a little "difficult" was retraining myself not to eat when I normally do.  When I am at work, it is natural to reach for something for a snack at a certain time.  I would catch myself reaching for something and when I stopped to think about it, I realized that I wasn't actually hungry - it was just out of habit.  Then I would start thinking about food and kind of "feel hungry".  But as soon as I would get to doing something else, I wouldn't be hungry anymore.  I was surprised that I wasn't "suffering all day long!"  ;D  I thought I would be!

Offline Amos

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »
Today was day 16 for me. I am a little frustrated, though. I lost about 3.5 pounds the first week (may have been due to my cycle) and only a half pound since.  I am going to give it some more time, maybe a month and see if I am at least losing a pound a week. I have a good 15 to lose and I guess I am a little impatient. :)  A half pound in 9 days is a little disappointing when I was expecting more. I keep wondering if I am doing something wrong  ??? My window is from 2-7 and I have NEVER cheated.  ::)  I only drink tea and occasionally black coffee during my fast time. I only binged during my first week until I adjusted. Any ideas why I may be at a standstill so soon??

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 04:52:20 AM »
FWIW, I found that I have been losing in spurts.  Like nothing for 2 weeks, then 5 pounds.  Then nothing again for a week or so.  Then 1.5 pounds.  It has NOT been consistent from week to week, even though my diet (unfortunately) and activity levels are very similar day-to-day.  But the BIG picture is that I'm losing weight - which is the goal!  It can be discouraging during the weeks that nothing seems to be happening, but I think that hormones and other factors are playing a role that we cannot predict.

I'm hoping that all this spring outdoor work will give an added boost to the whole process.  I've got lots more than 15 pounds to lose . . .

Maybe you would continue to find that to be true with you, also?

Offline Amos

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »
Thanks, Gigi! That is what I am hoping! I will do it long enough to give me a look at the big picture - a month or two - and see how it is working. For now, I am going to stop weighing myself so often and maybe do it weekly.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 03:56:30 AM »
Well I am back on the bandwagon! This was  easier for me than  restricting my eating drasticly it almost seemed.  I think if I am flexible and be patient, my wieght can come off this way.

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »
Good for you herbs girl! 

I have been on it since Monday now and have lost 4 pounds.  I'm pretty excited.  The last couple of days, though have been standstill days like the booklet said would probably happen.  So I am hoping that I will start losing a little again here pretty soon.  This has been by far the easiest thing I have tried!  I really love it so far!! 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »
How often are you all wieghing with fast five?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »
Check out a new News Interview with Dr Herring and two women who followed fast- five here...http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/video#global  

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
  • Our 'Babies', Summer and Sarah Rose
    • Anna Fogg
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 06:58:40 PM »
I think I'm past day 20...oh, now it's day 21....and I've lost about 10lbs.  That's not bad at all for 21 days!  It was easier at first, harder now.  I drink a lot of tea during the day to get me through.  Some days fly by, and some days I just watch the clock, like the last 4 days or so, my stomach will just grind and growl, begging me to eat!  I find that at 5 I must have something that will take the edge off, a granola bar, half a cup of Go Lean Crunch, the current favorite cereal in my house, or a banana.  Then I'm cool for an hour or so. 

HB, weighed yourself yet? I'd love to know how much in what amount of time.

I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2010, 02:57:10 AM »
I think I'm past day 20...oh, now it's day 21....and I've lost about 10lbs.  That's not bad at all for 21 days!  It was easier at first, harder now.  I drink a lot of tea during the day to get me through.  Some days fly by, and some days I just watch the clock, like the last 4 days or so, my stomach will just grind and growl, begging me to eat!  I find that at 5 I must have something that will take the edge off, a granola bar, half a cup of Go Lean Crunch, the current favorite cereal in my house, or a banana.  Then I'm cool for an hour or so.  

HB, weighed yourself yet? I'd love to know how much in what amount of time.

Good for you Annafogg! Keep it up!
tea helps me get through it too!  Greean Tea OR Black tea with Stevia.   I really feel like my adipose tissue on my belly is shrinking, the puffiness in my face is going down. So amazing how I feel!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:04:46 AM by herbs girl »

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:09 AM »
Well, since I last posted, I'm still at four pounds.  But actually, that evening, ate horribly and so was up a couple pounds for a couple days and now am back down to 4.  I am on day 11 right now (wow!  it's been that long?).  I did notice that for some reason, yesterday was harder than it has been.  I was really watching the clock.  Today is already getting hard and it is only lunch time here. 

I do the same thing - a lot of tea.  Usually green tea with something else (like Chai Green, or Ginger Peach Green, etc.).  I always put a little cream in and stevia.  I couldn't do it without the cream and it doesn't seem to be hurting. 

I'm happy with 4 pounds in 11 days.  Let's hope it continues.  I do weigh every day, which I should probably not do, and I don't do the diet on Sundays.  Everyone gets together for a big meal after church at my mom's every Sunday.  So that really won't work.  I'm just planning on a little slower progress since I'm eating on Sunday.

I am debating moving my window up from 5 to 4.  I think that has been my problem the last couple of days.  I've been trying to get to bed earlier (like by 9:30) and then getting up earlier and I think that is why I've been hungry earlier these last couple of days. We'll see how it goes. 

HB - I'm with annafogg1 - want to give a report?  :)

I love to hear other people's progress.  It helps keep me motivated.  ;)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »
orcuttranch- hopefully   the loss  continues.    I lost another 1.2# yesterday!! ;D

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
orcuttranch- hopefully   the loss  continues.    I lost another 1.2# yesterday!! ;D

Good for you!  I figured out why I am so hungry now.  I was doing detox+ for a week before I started fast-five.  So I was still doing the detox when I first started.  That is a lot of fiber and it still helped me feel full.  So I finished the detox about 3 days ago and that is when I started having a hard time with hunger.  So I'm sure my body will get used to it.  Today was hard.  I finally ate two hard-boiled eggs about 1:30.  That has helped me get through the rest of the afternoon.  I feel like I can make it the rest of today now. 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 09:58:43 AM »
Tea w/ Stevia helps me get through the day alot better.  I think I am noticing more  inches before as many pounds!!   Does anybody else notice that?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 04:04:03 AM »
Im blogging about Fast-5 now
http://fast-5mystory.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 06:19:28 AM »
i weighed again yesterday.  according to the scales at MILs house, i haven't lost a pound in 7 weeks.

here's what i do see.  i lost some, ring fits better, pants falling off, jowel lines around mouth lessened, bra is too big in cup area.

i really have nothing else to go on.  i feel like i haven't made any progress since the first 3 weeks, but hubby swears there's progress and MIL has said that her scales aren't really up to par, so hubby thinks they are broken.  since i didn't weigh on any other scales except hers, i can't really give a # report.  don't have any scales of my own and the scales at the chiro's office said i weighed 8 pounds MORE than what i was the first time i weighed at MIL.  no help there.

sorry.  feeling like i've been wasting my time, but hubby thinks i should keep going and thinks maybe i've not been drinking enough water and i've lost more than i think, but am holding water.

i don't really know.

those who are following the diet, don't be discouraged by my report because i've been cheating all along.  i drink whole cream (no carbs) in my coffee every day and at this point, don't think i'm willing to give that up until it starts getting hot.

will be getting new bikes in a month or so (maybe sooner) and hopefully that will help speed things up because our life is for the most part sedentary.

sorry to be a party pooper. ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »
HB,  I think you are making progress, sometimes there are “non-scale” victories. If your pants are loose on you, that is a good sign.
 This Fast-5  lifestyle is  doin things weird for me too. I look and feel like I am 5-10 lbs thinner than the scales says I am.  I mean my dresses are loosening up, my belly is melting off of me, and I have only lost a few pounds scince starting Fast-5. 

Personally, I think there is more at play than  the scales.  Fat redistribution (improving Insulin Resistance) is something that I read about on the Yahoo Fast-5 group.  Several others on that group have noticed inches before pounds too I think.

There is threads on the Yahoo group and  Dr. Herring’s website has answers on how to break plateaus. He has several ideas there.

Have you considered taking measurements of your body, recording them, and comparing them with future measurements?  I think that this is an accurate way of telling  if  your body is getting smaller! 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2010, 04:12:20 AM »
Here is an article that may help explain why one loses inches before pounds with Fast-5...

http://www.doittennis.com/knowledge-center/pounds-vs-inches.php

"when you lose body fat, you lose inches, but not nessecarily pounds"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:14:10 AM by herbs girl »

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2010, 03:31:23 AM »
I was getting along really good with this method until I started having really bad stomach pains. I decided to take a break from fasting. I've been looking at the foods I eat trying to figure out what is bothering me. Anyway, I'm feeling better and am back to Fast-Five today!

I'm so encouraged and motivated to keep at this from this group. Thanks for posting your progress!
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Pr 3:6

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2010, 04:37:26 AM »
I agree!  The more the merrier!  I enjoy reading other people's progress, too.  It definitely helps. 

Well, as of this morning, I have lost exactly 5.4 pounds.  ;D  Not the 20 I was hoping for in less than three weeks, but hey, it's better than gaining 5.4 pounds over those three weeks, right?  Monday will actually be three weeks.  I have noticed that the last couple of days I've seen 1/2 a pound or so each time.  That is encouraging because I was at a standstill for about the last week.  The book said it takes 2-3 weeks for your body to adjust, so I'm hoping that my body has officially adjusted and I'll start seeing results a little more often?   ;)  I guess, though, since it took me about 8 years to get to where I am, then I can't expect it all to come off in 8 weeks, right?  :D  Gotta run!  Happy fasting!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »
I have lost 20 pounds since starting this diet on Feb 1 (not quite 10 weeks).  Keep in mind that I also am strictly low carbing. 

It has not been systematic - a "pound a week" type loss.  Instead it comes off in spurts.  I won't lose anything for 2 weeks and then at the end of the third week I'll lose 4 pounds.  It's very odd.   For me, I just keep plugging along and it resolves itself to a happy average.

I think for anyone who was stalling on low carb diets, this is the way to kick it into high gear - I especially hope that diabetics out there who have trouble with not being able to lose weight will seriously consider this diet.  The small eating window drastically reduces overall insulin requirement and has made blood sugars much more stable.

HTH

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
Gigi, you said it helps diabetics?  I just got diagnosed with diabetes andMy doctor really wants me on Metformin. I just started it. I am also on Antibiotics that have to be taken 12 hours apart so I am off fast-5 for now.

I am just not sure how Fast-5 fits with Diabetes, I mean will my blood sugar get too low and stuff during the fasting stage?

Congrats on the weight loss! yay!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2010, 04:21:58 AM »
i'm fairly certain the cream in my coffee has caused a stall for me...what i don't understand is how i could reduce my calorie and carb intake so much and lose no more than 5 or 6 pounds.

i've lost more weight on slim fast and that's more calories and more carbs.  doesn't make any sense to me.

i've eaten some carbs, but not so much that it should matter.  the cream in my coffee is whole.  the first week, i went a bit nuts on chocolate, but that passed.  i don't eat pasta, very seldom eat bread, eat only a handful of rice now and again (maybe once a week) and potatoes maybe twice a month.  normally, just meat and veggies and sometimes only veggies because lately the meat just doesn't taste good.

this is informational only...just to let you know that it's not working for me.  draw your own conclusions as to why.  i'll be getting scales on Monday, but honestly, i don't think it matters.  my ring was loose and now it's not again.  i can't even get the dumb thing off.  i don't think i'm going to give up just yet, just because i don't really feel like eating most of the time--even supper, but i don't see any more weight loss-spurts or otherwise--in the near future.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 08:58:48 PM »
OK, after reading all your "success" stories and comments, I am going to try this as well.  I've been trying to loose my last 15lbs or so ever since my kids (3 of them) were born. .  I did the master cleanse 2 times, lost about 12lbs with each one and gained all of it (except 5lbs) back.  The 3rd master cleanse I lost 7lbs and gained all of it back. Arrr!  >:( Hopefully this diet can help.
I'm starting tomorrow!!!

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2010, 02:42:37 AM »
At the risk of breaking every trend in dieting.  I'm not starting tomorrow, and I'm not starting on Monday.

I'm starting on Saturday!

(Now that I've typed this, I better keep my word. Or HB may hunt me down.)  :D
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »
The more the merrier!!  I am still loving this whole way of eating.  As of this morning (day 23), I have lost 7 pounds. 

I do still have cream in my tea and actually it is more like 2 tbsp each cup and I drink 3 cups during the day.  I also still eat on Sunday starting at lunch time and I don't do the 5 hour window on Sunday. 

So for those of you that are more stringent, you might see better results than me even!! 

I will say that for me, this is great.  My biggest temptation to eat is at night, so I can eat when I actually want to.  It is interesting, though.  When I know that I am allowed to eat, it doesn't seem to be such a big temptation any more.  :D  I also have tried other diets that didn't work and didn't even try some that I knew I could never stick to.  This is so easy for me.  I don't have to plan ahead for anything special, don't have to buy anything extra, etc. 

I would say the only time I really get hungry is around lunch time.  But then I just make myself another cup of tea and I'm usually good to go.

Maybe one of the reasons this works for me is because of my body type?  Who knows?  But so far, so good.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44:49 AM »

I do still have cream in my tea and actually it is more like 2 tbsp each cup and I drink 3 cups during the day.  I also still eat on Sunday starting at lunch time and I don't do the 5 hour window on Sunday. 

I will say that for me, this is great.  My biggest temptation to eat is at night, so I can eat when I actually want to.  It is interesting, though.  When I know that I am allowed to eat, it doesn't seem to be such a big temptation any more.  :D  I also have tried other diets that didn't work and didn't even try some that I knew I could never stick to.  This is so easy for me.  I don't have to plan ahead for anything special, don't have to buy anything extra, etc. 

I would say the only time I really get hungry is around lunch time.  But then I just make myself another cup of tea and I'm usually good to go.

Maybe one of the reasons this works for me is because of my body type?  Who knows?  But so far, so good.

This could be me.  I've been contemplating this because exercising alone (which usually works for me) is not working at all.  I love Fit for Life but am having a hard time sticking to it this time around.  I feel so much better when I'm fasting that I may give this a try.  Since I'm feeling so yucky sick today might be the day to start (since I'm not eating anyway).  And I so will not give up my coffee and cream!

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.