Author Topic: [Steam] Sauna: Uses, Benefits & Risks  (Read 3882 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
[Steam] Sauna: Uses, Benefits & Risks
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:08:51 PM »
Here's a thread. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon with some info to post.

Induced sweating is common in some cultures. Sweat lodges, hot springs, baths, and saunas are all familiar terms, but many people have never experienced the benefits of induced sweating under moist heat.

We are distrustful of the new infrared technology and prefer the older style of steam saunas.

Sweating has many detoxing and cleansing benefits. We've been using a cheap portable sauna for 3+ years. Dh uses it several times a week during the cooler months when his work doesn't make him sweat naturally. I do not use while pregnant or nursing.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: [Steam] Sauna: Uses, Benefits & Risks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
Please tell me where you got your portable!  Our ND wants my husband to install a sauna heater in our shower.  Like that’s really gonna happen!!  :o Good grief.   :-\  Would love to figure out how he can do this on our own.  Supposedly, the only way to rid the body of barium is sweating.  Thanks!
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

YoopreMama

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:46:09 AM »
Saunas are very common in Upper MI...very Finnish.   8)  We even have a public one.    ;D

"The Finns use the sauna for bathing. They used it for rheumatism. They used it for doctoring. That's where they kept clean, and it was always busy. They used the sweatbath for the flu or anything. And they didn't use that sweatbath for anything else. It was only a bath house." (http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/troufs/Buffalo/PB38.html)

One practice is to use cedar boughs for, um, swatting, to get the blood circulating.   :o  Cedar is very purifying.  They'd often use cold water afterward to close the pores (or jump in the snow).

Some fun tidbits:

"A Finnish proverb states that if whiskey and a sauna won’t cure your ills, nothing will. For a common cold it is not unusual to go sauna, sip whiskey, and sweat. A widespread hangover remedy is also a long and hot sauna. To offset fatigue, anger, and depression, Finns turn to quiet time in the sauna and emerge revitalized. The Finnish way to restore order is to take a sauna."  http://www.folkstreams.net/context,90

"Although one can sauna anytime, the traditional days are Saturday and Wednesday. Socializing is an important part of the Saturday sauna and friends and relatives are often invited. While first the men and then the women (or alternatively, family by family) take turns bathing, others visit. Sharing food afterwards is important and usually includes coffee and cold drinks, pastries, or even a complete meal. Saturday sauna parties are a Finnish-American alternative to card parties in other American subcultures."

"Now and then water can be thrown on the hot rocks; the water sizzles on impact and hot steam encircles and momentarily "stings" the bathers. The skin tingles, perspiration increases. Along with the steam comes the cedar bough switch, which is soaked in warm water and then lightly "toasted" on the hot stones "to kill germs." Bathers energetically beat themselves causing additional tingling. An outsider might regard this act as masochistic, but to a Finn the tingling is a learned pleasure and feels good.

Bathers then step out to cool off again. This pattern can be repeated many times or only once. One can remain in the sauna for several hours sweating and flagellating, or go through the steps quickly. Finally bathers scrub down well with soap, either in the sauna or in an adjoining shower, and then rinse off. At this point bathers might jump into a lake or river, or merely rest quietly in the dressing room to cool down. Old-timers talk about rolling in the snow too, but today this is not a favorite alternative."
(http://www.folkstreams.net/context,90)
 ;D

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:13:23 AM »

One can remain in the sauna for several hours sweating and flagellating, or go through the steps quickly.  ;D

When I first read this I read it as FLATULATING.   :D  ;D  I had to go back and check my eyes.   :D :D :D

For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:26:01 AM »
Please tell me where you got your portable!  Our ND wants my husband to install a sauna heater in our shower.  Like that’s really gonna happen!!  :o Good grief.   :-\  Would love to figure out how he can do this on our own.  Supposedly, the only way to rid the body of barium is sweating.  Thanks!

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,27310.msg249363.html#msg249363
I had gone ahead and made a thread just for brand and style comparisons.  ;) I should have linked the two threads right away.