Author Topic: Re: Going gluten free..have some questions..  (Read 2589 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Going gluten free..have some questions..
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:47:07 PM »
This post and the replies have been merged with an existing thread to consolidate info for present and future users.
Help with Gluten Free Lifestyle

~boysmama

What flours should I buy when first starting out? (I have Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour, sweet sorghum flour and xanthan gum at the moment) Should I just get a few kinds to test and find which ones I like the best?  I'm starting to drown under all the information and recipes. ack!  :P

Though maybe I should just get some recipes that will last me a couple of weeks and get the ingredients I don't have... I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Also I was wondering if that a person continues to eat foods with gluten in them, will they eventually develop Celiacs disease? Especially when a family member has it? I read in The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide that people carry the gene for gluten intolerance/celiacs it's just a matter of if it gets 'turned on' by stress, trauma, or a food. My aunt has celiacs and no one in my immediate family has any problems with gluten, except me. In the book it also said that it can skip a generation, which would explain why I had problems and not my brothers or my Mom.  I don't know..I just think it's interesting if it's really true that's how they're connected.

If you have any tips, I'd be so glad to hear them. Thanks!