Author Topic: Chocolate Granola?  (Read 8578 times)

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
Chocolate Granola?
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:44:54 AM »
I'm looking for a healthy chocolate granola recipe that includes good oils, raw honey and dark chocolate or cocoa (instead of sugary granola with added chocolate chips, etc).  I didn't find anything in the 'granola' thread that already exists, or on my favorite recipe sites, (other than a couple that were too sugary and none included healthy dark chocolate).

Can anyone help me?

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
Re: Chocolate Granola?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:53:10 AM »
I came across a recipe, which I modified (below) that may work.  I make our granola in my crock pot (on low all day, stir occasionally).  I'll report back!

Almond and Dark Chocolate Granola

7 cups organic old fashioned (large) oats
1/4 c organic brown sugar
1/2 c coconut
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup raw honey
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 coconut oil

70% chocolate or darker, finely chopped
1 cup sliced almonds

I will add the nuts & chocolate after, when cool.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:10:36 AM »
My family voted this a "keeper".  I added 2 T. cocoa to the granola mix, and made it in my crock pot, on low all day, stirring occasionally.  The smell -alone- was worth making this!

To the warm, finished granola (6 hours or so, lightly browned), I stirred in a cup of semi-sweet chocolate pieces, walnut halves and slivered almonds.  I chose to stir in the chocolate while still warm, because it wasn't as clumpy as we like.  It worked out wonderfully.  It is decadent with fresh raw milk - we had it for a Sunday morning treat before church.

I'd love to hear if anyone else gives it a try, and how you modify it and how you liked it.

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:43:39 AM »
Sounds great!  I have everything but the chocolate. Have to add it to my list for store day this week.  ;)
Leat

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »
How did it come out, Leat?

The third week (yes, we are seriously addicted to dark chocolate granola and fresh, raw milk now) I altered a bit.  I did not add nuts, but did add about 1/4 cup peanut butter into the honey.  Again, I have taken to adding the dark chocolate while it is still a bit warm, and mixing to promote clumps!  We love it.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »
Sounds really yummy, I'll definitely have to try it!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:43:54 AM »
How much dark chocolate did you use in this recipe?
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
Oh, maybe 3/4 cup. 

I posted the adapted recipe I worked off, but I don't typically measure for granola, other than eyeballing (about this much honey, etc).  But, I have been making granola for many years - I know the proportions are somewhat important, but not critical to the end result.  : )  Even eyeballing this one, it has come out very consistently (just finished our 3rd batch.)

How much dark chocolate did you use in this recipe?

I'd love to hear if anyone else trys/adapts this and the result.   ;D

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »
Here's my recipe... I think it's close to yours GibsonTown, but this one is soaked in yogurt first. We enjoy this as does everyone else who has tried it , excepting chocolate haters.  ::) Like eating a (GF) choc chip oatmeal cookie. With milk you get chocolate milk as well!

12-15 cups of rolled oats (not quick)
approx. 2 cups yogurt. Toss until well combined. Let stand overnight.

If desired you could also soak the almonds. I prefer to soak them separately from the oats.

Dump onto 2 cookie sheets and dry in 170* oven for 3-4 hrs. If desired crumble any chunks halfway through and stir. Stirring not completely necessary. Alternately you could dehydrate at a lower temp which might be better for nutritional value.

To soaked oats add 1-2 cups sliced almonds, 2-4 cups flaked coconut and set aside.

In saucepan melt:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
Add:
1 cup honey
1/2 cup organic dehydrated sugar crystals
1 tbsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
Bring to a boil, then remove immediately for a chewy/chunky texture. Heat only till well combined if you prefer a drier, crumbly texture.
Whisk in 1/4-1/2 cup cocoa or dk. cocoa powder (if using dk cocoa you may want to reduce the amount or add more sugar.)

Pour over oats and dry ing. and toss until well mixed. Bake in 170* oven for 2 hrs. We prefer a moist, softer granola and I've not had it spoil yet. You can bake longer if preferred. The secret, though, is to use a low temp! Don't try to hurry it up. An advantage to the low temp is that it does not need to be stirred or only once midway if you want to.

Cool and add 1 cups semisweet or dk choc chips.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:31:31 AM »
Thanks for this version, boysmama.  : )

I've tried soaking my oats before making granola, twice now, and it always comes out very soft and moist.  Interesting...but we like granola to be crunchy.  Is there a way to process soaked oats to produce a crunchy result?  I've tried baking it extra long - even to the point of the oats turning a bit too brown - so I know 'longer' isn't my answer.  Perhaps soaked granola is just soft?

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
GibsonTown- Soaking the oats and then dehydrating them completely before putting them in the granola should work.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:18:50 AM »
thanks.  I don't own a dehydrator (but use my oven).  I just haven't managed to get super dry oats after soaking.  I have used yogurt, and also whey.  Would water w/ACV be better?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 06:23:07 AM »
If you are aiming for very crunchy granola...
When mixing yogurt with the oats only add a little at a time while stirring and toss just until moistened. A handful dropped from 8 inches up should still fall in individual flakes, not clumps.
After soaking overnight bake at 250* stirring every 1/2 hr. for 3-4 hrs. or until completely dried. Bake the granola at 250* as well, stirring every 1/2 hr.
That's the process I used to use and it was too crunchy for us. Took too long to chew I guess.  :)

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 05:55:50 AM »
I make this all the time now. I have to find another cereal recipe for my 5 year old , he will not eat the granola unless it looks like cheerios or captain crunch and I'm trying to find other cereal recipes he would like.