Author Topic: Brownies: Recipes, Tips, and Tricks  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Wind_Dancer

• {Queen Lucy the Valient}
  • Learning
  • Little sister to CrimsonRose
Brownies: Recipes, Tips, and Tricks
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
I didn't find a thread just for brownies, so I'm going to start one. If there is already one for brownies, please close this.

I tried this recipe several weeks ago and loved it. It is so easy to make and since they're in the baking cups, it's also easy to make sure little people don't eat too much. :)

Brownie Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
2 cups pecans, chopped (optional)
Makes: Each cupcake serves 1. Makes about 20 standard cupcakes.

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin pan with baking cups.

In medium bowl, combine flour and salt. In small heavy saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until blended. In large bowl, combine chocolate mixture with sugar; mix well. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; mix until blended. If desired, stir in nuts. Distribute brownie mixture evenly into baking cups.

Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling rack for 5-8 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely.

We liked it best with pecans, but it's good without, too.

Wind_Dancer

God Bless The Troops!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Brownies: Recipes, Tips, and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:36:32 AM »
i use the one mommyjen posted a LONG time ago and i've tested it with hard white and hard red homeground wheat with fantastic results. however, i changed the order to make the wheat soft.

Quick Fudge Brownies
1/2 cup +2 T. butter
6 T. unsweetened cooca powder
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts

~Grease 8x8 pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

~In saucepan melt butter over low heat.  Remove from heat.   Stir in cocoa powder, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.

Using a wooden spoon, beat lightly just till combined. Stir in flour and nuts.

~stir in flour, cocoa and vanilla

~cover bowl and allow to soak/rest for one hour

~add eggs and sugar (and nuts)

~Spread batter in pan and bake for 30 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.

Tips: Do not over-bake these.  They are supposed to be fudgey not cakey. You can just sprinkle nuts on half of the batter instead of mixing them in.  Pleases those who do and don't like them.

Jenny

i've made this recipe with white flour too, but i don't soak it. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:38:21 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:09:45 AM »
One Bowl (pot) Brownies
I've tried several brownie recipes and they either were too cakey or not chocolaty enough for me. But I love this one. It's the recipe from the back of the Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate box, with modifications.

4 squares (1 oz each) of unsweetened Baker's chocolate
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) of butter --I use one stick butter and 4 TBS VCO
2 cups sugar --I have used half white sugar and half brown sugar before
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans

It says to microwave the butter and chocolate 'til melted, but I do it in a pot on the stove, stirring constantly. Take the pot off the stove and stir in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla; mix well (I stir just until the eggs are incorporated and no more). Stir in the pecans and flour and pour into a 13X9 pan and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE.

To add chocolate and marshmallows, take the brownies out after about 20 minutes, add the toppings and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. I like gooey brownies so mine never stay in for the entire 30 minutes.

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Wind_Dancer

• {Queen Lucy the Valient}
  • Learning
  • Little sister to CrimsonRose
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »
This is one of the simplest brownie recipes, and also one of the chocolatiest.  8) (Is that a word?)

Five Star Brownies

Ingredients
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup shortening, melted
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Directions
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until blended. Beat in butter and shortening until smooth. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in nuts if desired.

Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil; pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

Using foil, lift brownies out of pan. Discard foil. Cut with a star cutter or into bars. Yield: about 3 dozen.

Recipe originally from Taste of Home magazine.

We don't usually use a cookie cutter, but sometimes it's fun to use a cookie cutter and then pipe something on the brownies. (We cut out "footballs" and piped "stitches" on them for the Mizzou Bowl Game.) These are also good with nuts or with chocolate chips in them, if you want to change it up a bit.

Wind_Dancer
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:13:13 AM by Wind_Dancer »

God Bless The Troops!