Author Topic: Hand joint pain  (Read 3757 times)

Offline smokie2

• Wide Eyed
Hand joint pain
« on: March 04, 2010, 02:37:12 PM »
For the past 2 years I have had pain in my right hand at the base of my thumb. It doesn't hurt all the time, but when I move it a certain way the pain is so bad that I can't even stand the pressure of a pencil when I'm trying to write. There isn't any swelling or lumps or anything noticeable. I remember something that happened right before I started having this problem. I was carrying a plastic bag with a 2 liter drink in it with my thumbs while I was pushing a cart. I'm guessing that is what caused it, but I just don't know what to do about it. I've taken ibuprofen on occasion with no luck. I would think after 2 years it would have healed, but it hasn't and seems to be getting worse. Does anyone have any ideas of what this is and or what I could do about it.   :'(

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
Re: Hand joint pain
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
Sounds like what I have and the doc said it's tendonitis. When the pain gets real bad I ice it. When it's real real bad...Aleve. I have it in both hands and carpal tunnel syndromes. He said it must just be from carrying big babies around and doing momma stuff because he sees alot of young mommas with this pain.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »
I had this happen to me a few years ago when I picked up something heavy (my toddler) with my wrist and thumb in an awkward position.  I wore a brace for a little while that immobilized my wrist and thumb.  A physical therapist recommended mega doses of ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation (this is before I knew better than take it), the side effects made me stop after just a couple of days.  One of the best things was to rub ice on the trouble spot for 10 minutes twice a day.  If you fill a styrofoam cup with water, freeze it, then peel off the bottom of the cup you can hold the cup and rub the ice the trouble spot.  It's very painful cold, but also helped a lot.  I would think you could take some herbs to help with inflammation (not very familiar with what would be best), an Omega 3 supplement might do wonders for the inflammation.  Eventually I had to do some exercises with some putty to strengthen those muscles and tendons in my thumb.  It did heal after a couple of months and a lot of consistent effort.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:21:29 PM »
oh yes I second the immobilizers. I got mine at Walmart and wear them mainly at night and when it's really bad during the day.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:32:28 PM »
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here.   :D ;D  You might try removing potatoes and tomatoes for a couple of weeks and then eating them again and see what happens.  They are notorious for causing inflammation in the joints.  My thumbs do the EXACT same thing as yours when I eat those things. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!