Author Topic: Recognizing & Avoiding Allergens [Intolerances]  (Read 51993 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Recognizing & Avoiding Allergens [Intolerances]
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:03:47 AM »
Okay, I thought there was a food allergy thread somewhere on this board, but I can't find it, so if one of you knows where it is and can point me in the right direction, you have my permission to scold me for duplicating threads.   ::)

Anyway, I think I have developed a food allergy over the last few weeks (or have just recently discovered it).  Either way, I can't seem to figure out what's causing it.  I thought it was cheese and then I thought it was dairy.  I've been keeping track of what I eat in a notebook.  The only things that were the same on the days I got hives were my supplements and dairy (I think), BUT 2 days ago, I had mashed potatoes and gravy, both made with milk and no hives and that day, I took no supplements.  Other days, I've taken my supplements, yet had no dairy and no reactions.  It seems the reactions only occur when I do both.  I'm perplexed.

Could my supplements somehow be reacting with my supplements thus causing the hives?

I am currently taking SuperDad, Odorless Garlic, Cod Liver Oil, B12, Rosehips C, Tummy Tuneup-Ultimate Defense, Yeast Assassin, Glutamine & Evening Primrose Oil.

The other interesting fact is that no matter what time of day I take the vitamins or the dairy products, I always get the hives at night -- sometimes before I go to bed and sometimes after (not related to my bed).  I've yet to suffer any hives during the daylight hours.  I just can't figure it out. 

Any input, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as the only treatment that works for me is an anxiety pill and I obviously don't want this to become a regular part of my regimen.  I don't believe the hives are anxiety related, but I'm allergic to antihistamines, including chamomile, so the only alternative for me is to get sleepy to calm the reaction.

Thanks

~hb
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:05:24 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
Re: Recognizing & Avoiding Allergens [Intolerances]
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:15:09 AM »
I have no idea..... ::)  However, the fact that you said you only get the hives at night was very interesting to me b/c b/f I got married I started taking "the pill" like in NovemberI got married in Jan.  I broke out in hives on my WEDDING NIGHT.  mmmhhhmmm. Real neat.  BUT continued breaking out only at night until I quit taking the pill.  The first night I just thought it was nervousness but it kept happening.  So I quit taking the pill and the hives stopped.  I can't remember exactly when I quit but I was pregnant in April.   ;D  I just thought that was interesting.  I quit taking the pill(and I am so thankful knowing what I know now)b/c other than getting married and moving 1/2 way across the US where I knew no one but my hubby, nothing had changed except for that.  I always thought it was weird that I only started breaking out after the marriage not before.   ???  Could your hives have anything to do with your honey? as in bee honey not hubby honey.   :D  Have you been using the honey or just the wax for candles or whatever?  Just a thought.  I don't know how long you've been breaking out.......but that is kind of a new thing for you. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:05:52 AM »
I haven't even been around my wax yet.  I still don't have any containers to form it with so it's still in my yard.  This weekend (I hope).  Also, no honey from the hive.  Nothing new as far as I can tell.  I don't take the pill (I had a tubal).  It might be something like that, but I just can't seem to recall any "nightly" habit that would cause this. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »
Are you under unusual stress? My body reacts with hives for alot of things that it doesn't like. I've had times like you are describing. Most of the time I would actually fall asleep only to waken with in 20 minutes with huge welts all over. I have strong adrenal surges. My hypothesis is that under stress- maybe because of the extra hormones- toxins build up in my body. Then when I go to sleep my body relaxes and starts to houseclean... I've sort of tested this theory and find that if I am still under stress or going to face the same stress the next day that my body stays tense all night. Only when the pressure lets off will I have the night time hives reaction.
 I have gone way out on the limb with this post :P You can call it crazy if you want  ;D I do know that those hives are AWFUL and this theory reminds me that if I get stressed out I'll pay for it later. Now I TRY not to stress ;)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:27:37 AM »
Wow, that makes sense.  I got engaged to the wrong guy once and my mom had hives until it was over.  Interesting theory.  :o

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:48:59 AM »
Wow, that makes sense.  I got engaged to the wrong guy once and my mom had hives until it was over.  Interesting theory.  :o

It is an interesting thought!  Your bee problem would be enough to give me hives....  Didn't you also mention that your income was greatly reduced?  That is also very stressful.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »

It is an interesting thought!  Your bee problem would be enough to give me hives....  Didn't you also mention that your income was greatly reduced?  That is also very stressful.

5 years ago, my current situation would have stressed me to no end, but seriously, I've had very little stressing me out (no more than normal anyway  ;D). 

The Lord has really blessed us in our time of need.  He's given us a financial net to keep us afloat, money is not even a factor right now.  We've never wanted for food - we always always have plenty - GOD IS SO GOOD.  We have heat/cooling, shelter, transportation and except for a couple of colds lately - good health. 

We had bees, fleas and lice all at the same time, but that was almost a month ago.  We treated for lice, vacated, killed and cleaned bees and ripped up the carpet and treated the cats and all the bugs are gone and with the cooling trend, there aren't many bugs outside and the hives just started a couple of weeks ago.

If it's stress related, then it must be deep deep subconcious - cuz I'm pretty happy most of the time - except when hubby cheeses me off *snicker*, but if that were the cause of my hives, I would have been suffering from a steady onslaught of hives for the last 12 years.  LOL   ::)

Keep the ideas coming though, please.  I figured with some brainstorming, you might be able to think of something I hadn't already thought of.  My brain hurts from thinking about it too much.   ::)

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 10:54:02 AM »

Sounds like it might not be the case with you but stress can definitely do strange thing to you. When my hubby told his mom that he was going to marry me she got her period. Not so unusual except that she hadn't had one in years. It's okay though, she likes me now ;D

I was just reading a book on autism. It mentioned how autistic children can start to exhibit allergy symptoms AFTER their diets are cleaned up. I don't know if it would apply to you but it's a thought. Maybe you are developing an allergy to your bed. I know mattress are full of toxins. Hope you figure it out soon!!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:22:38 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 10:57:10 AM »
Allergies can develop at any time.  I would carefully review your pre bed routine, especially the last couple of hours before you head to bed.  Any lotions, cleansers, moisturizers?  Toothpastes? Mouthwash?  Anything with your kids that would be there some evenings and not others?    I know you have eliminated a lot of things due to the detergent sensitivity but is there anything non food related that you could be coming in contact with some evenings?

Hope you are able to find out what it is soon!!  Sounds absolutely miserable.  :-\

Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 11:00:11 AM »
One other thing I thought of is that when stress gets me it is always a time when my immune system was recently low- lack of sleep, bad food, illness, etc. Maybe something normal is causing you to react because your immune system is for some reason extra-sensitized???
Aren't you also treating candida overgrowth?  I know that one of the long term recovery symptms can be hives...
Just brainstorming :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 02:45:41 PM »
Any lotions, cleansers, moisturizers?  Toothpastes? Mouthwash? 
I'm pretty low maintenance (lazy  ::))  I don't use any of that stuff, except toothpaste and I only use it in the mornings.  When I remember  :-[  to brush at night, I use peroxide or baking soda, but I forget alot...I'll keep thinking on this though...

I ate pizza tonight, so if I'm allergic to dairy, I should know pretty soon....

I know for sure it's not the bed, because the hives don't always start after bedtime, just always after dark.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 02:46:43 PM »
One other thing I thought of is that when stress gets me it is always a time when my immune system was recently low- lack of sleep, bad food, illness, etc. Maybe something normal is causing you to react because your immune system is for some reason extra-sensitized???
Aren't you also treating candida overgrowth?  I know that one of the long term recovery symptms can be hives...
Just brainstorming :)
Maybe...it's a thought.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 03:01:02 PM »
You are definately sure it is hives?  You are probably right, just want to make sure.  Finding the cause for hives is like asking yourself who gave me a cold?  It could be an endless of things.  In my medical book that I read too much,  ;) it states that hives are generally brought on by an allergic reaction for it is the release of histamines in the body that cause it. 
But it does say that certain viruses can cause hives such as hepatitius B and the Epstein Barr Virus.  Is there an outbreak of mono in your neck of the woods? 
It also states that out breaks of Candida Albicans and hives can go hand in hand.  Oh, that's a shock, huh?!
I will list what the book says are some of the most common reasons for hive outbreaks:

Animals, dander and saliva
Aspirin
A gout medication that I don't want to spell out
Antimony, a metallic element present in various metal alloys
Barbituates
BHA and BHT
Bismuth, another metalic element present in metal alloys
Cancer, especially luekemia
Chloral hydrate, a sedative
Chlorpromazine, a tranquilizer
Cologne or perfume
Enviromental factors, heat, cold, water, sunlight
Eucalyptus
Exercise
Flourides
Food allergies
Food collorings and preservatives
Gold
Griseofulvin, and antifungal medication
Hyperthyroidism
Infections, strep, hepatitis, parasites
Insect bites
Insulin
Iodines
Liver Extract
Makeup
Menthol
Meprobamate, a tranquilizer
Mercury
Morphine
Opium
Para-aminosslicylic acid, an anti-inflammatory drug
Penicillin
Phenacetrin, an ingredient in some pain medications
Phenobabital, a sedative
Pilocarpine, a glaucoma medication
Plants
A polio vaccine
Potassium sulfocyanate, a preservative
Preservatives
Novocain, an anesthetic
Quinine
Reserpine, heart medication
Saccharin
Salicylates
Soaps
Shampoo
Sulfites
Tartrazine, a food dye and an ingredient in Alka-Seltzer
Thiamine hydrochloride, and ingredient in some cough medications

Here is some to get you started, HB.  Hope you figure it out!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 03:06:02 PM »
 :o
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 03:22:26 PM »
 I can feel for you :-* I know you think it's not stress related but... few years back after DH started a new business, we started building our own house, he was injured etc. etc I broke out in a bad case of hives, and as you explained they would come in the evening. Huge welts >:( Well someone advised me not to do any allergy testing until I emptied several bottles of B Complex plus extra Pantothenic Acid. after a few weeks on this they cleared up, only to return when I quit the B's. I eventually got over it. It was explained to me that our body's need extra B when under stress.....God Bless You....I hope we're not stessing you with all our questions???? ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 04:01:41 PM »
I take SuperDads and extra b12.  I don't think I'm deficient in B vitamins. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »
I hope we're not stessing you with all our questions???? ;)
Are you kidding...I live for this stuff.  I never knew that there was a actually a job where being a "know-it-all" would come in handy.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 05:15:03 PM »
HB--Could there be some plant that blooms at night (or opens at night) that could be causing this? 

Maybe you're just allergic to the dark. . . ;D
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 06:27:19 PM »
Okay, I've been reading the symptoms and responses. It could be something super-complex, but I'm one of those that likes to eliminate the simplest things first. My life is complicated enough ::).

This is what I am wondering, HB: you said that this always happens after dark. Do you have a favorite chair that you relax in after supper/before bed? Is there a particular throw/quilt that you use? I'm thinking that you are coming in contact with something that is reacting to your skin. With the spraying and stuff that has gone on around your house, it is possible that some stuff got absorbed into the upholstery and is getting onto your skin. If you bathe in the evening and then sit in your favorite chair, your pores would be open and receptive to whatever is in the chair. This could be anything from chemicals to dust mites or whatever.

While it isn't likely your bedding (because you said it happens before bed sometimes) upholstered furniture is also something to consider.

Let us know what you discover.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »
You didnt' mention how long you have been taking that list of supplements.  Yes, supplements can interact, but IMO I am not sure those do.  Could it be they are actualy working, detoxing you, and this is how your body reacts to releasing some of those toxins?

The last few weeks- weather changing?  CLosing up windows and such more, something in the house or room that you are allergic too?  Any pets?  pet treatment/shampoos, etc can cause reactions and take time to do so.

Perplexing.  I hope you get to the source and resolve it soon.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 07:16:05 PM »
Okay, I had pizza and no hives, but have been a bit on the itchy side.  So, I guess my next question is, how long does an allergy generally take to manifest itself.  Like, if I ate a pizza at 7pm, how long before the cheese would cause me to itch?  I only started itching about 1/2 hour ago.  That's like 4.5 hours.  That seems like too long to me, but I wouldn't really know.  As soon as I'm better from my cold, I was going to drink a big fat glass of milk early in the morning and then avoid dairy for the rest of the day and see what happens.  Then I was going to try milk in the morning without my supplements and then go from there.  I'm really hoping it's not dairy.  I do so love to eat cheese.... :-\

I thought about the furniture, but there is no reason or rhyme to my schedule.  I lay on the couch off and on at no particular time.  Hmmmmm....there's Borax under my couch, I wonder....maybe I should vaccuum that up tomorrow.  I put it there to kill fleas and didn't vacuum it up because it's under the couch, BUT I wash my clothes in Borax and have never had a reaction and I don't remember having any kind of reactions while making the soap or sprinkling it on the floor in the first place.  I'll talk to hubby and see if he thinks we should shampoo the carpet or the couch, but I just don't think that's it.

Maybe I need to just be more organized, so I can have a routine and maybe I could figure it out.  I never do anything by the clock.  I just kinda do whatever, whenever unless someone else is counting on me for something (like lunch and supper ;)).  My husband isn't a very scheduled kind of guy and I just kind of follow his schedule or lack of *snicker*.

I really appreciate everyone trying to help me figure this out, but I'm still stumped.  I just hope it doesn't take me 10 years to figure this one out too.  Ugh.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 07:26:41 PM »
Maybe you're just allergic to the dark. . . ;D

EUREKA!  THAT's IT!   ;D  I need to move where they have more sunshine.  "Guam" here I come!  Oh, wait, I don't fly and I get sea sick, I'm in trouble.  Anyone got a transporter I can borrow - Beam me up Scotty.   ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 07:31:08 PM »
I'll pick you up at the airport!  I know I'll be able to pick your eye out of a crowd anywhere! :) 
Hey, did you ever get my email about your son eating my kombucha mushroom?  You can tell him I got another one.  he he

8)

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 03:57:55 AM »
Hey, I forgot where you live, but around here the golden rod is in full bloom.  My mom was highly sensitive to it.  Maybe it's some sort of fall allergy especially if it just started.  Isn't ragweed bad right now.  I know Mom used to have major problems in the fall and in the spring.
l
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 06:51:59 AM »
Hey, did you ever get my email about your son eating my kombucha mushroom?  You can tell him I got another one.  he he

8)
???  I don't think so.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 06:53:25 AM »
well, newest update.  I ate pizza and ice cream last night - no hives.  I had pizza and glass of milk for breakfast, no hives.  ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline JoyfulJen

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 08:03:50 PM »
well, newest update.  I ate pizza and ice cream last night - no hives.  I had pizza and glass of milk for breakfast, no hives.  ???

;DGood!  We're glad.  Hey, HB, have you thought.... maybe you are just allergic to us!   I haven't posted for a couple of days and that seems to have helped you :D   

Seriously though, this is big time mosquito season where we live, and the county does areal spraying, as well as some spraying from trucks to try to control them until the cold weather sets in.  Could it be something like that in your locale?  Our county uses pyrethrin (derived from chrysanthemums) to kill the adult mosquitoes.  I have not heard of allergies to it, but it is a pesticide and some people might react.  ??? If they are doing similar control in your county also, it would be worth a look into.  Hope your mystery is solved soon!
Jen

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2006, 07:33:03 AM »
Well until this passes, just eat pizza and ice cream every night. :D
What kind of ice cream anyway?
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2006, 09:44:42 AM »

Oooo... I like this.  First GOOT to cure all and now pizza & ice cream!  Love this site!

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
Um...last time it was somekind of chocolate cherry crunch vanilla stuff.   :o