Author Topic: Recognizing & Avoiding Allergens [Intolerances]  (Read 50035 times)

Offline floydian

• Master
Re: Recognizing & Avoiding Allergens [Intolerances]
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2006, 01:53:52 PM »
Blech,  :P I think that would cure anything.
Just teasing.
Cherry anything reminds me of having to take cough syrup when I was little.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 10:52:35 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 09:32:36 AM »
HB,

Did you ever find the culprit?  Did the symptoms leave?  Just curious.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 10:20:04 PM »
HB,

Did you ever find the culprit?  Did the symptoms leave?  Just curious.

Dairy seems to be the most suspect, but my symptoms are very inconsistant.  There is some stress in the air right now, so that could be a contributor, but I just am stumped.  Sometimes I have dairy and have no reactions that I'm aware of and other times, I get hives and itchies and I think back and remember I had a big glass of milk or something very cheesy to eat.  Maybe it's all in my head.  I haven't had a case of hives as severe as before, but I've still had some bumps and itching at random.  It's also dry skin weather, so who knows. ???

Thanks for thinking of me.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline keeperathome77

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »
Early on before I had ever introduced my baby to certain foods he would get a hold of someone's spoon and his cheeks would react to foods of whatever they were eating. Didn't take long to tell he was reacting to dairy and eggs. This is my question...has anyone else had this happen? Am I wrong to assume he is allergic because  his mouth and cheeks break out on contact that he would be allergic to the food? Right now he doesn't eat dairy, eggs, or peanut butter because of this...though he hasn't ever really ate any of these foods. I just couldn't imagine allowing him to eat something that makes him break out on his skin. He eats fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, and meat. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathleen
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 05:02:12 PM by keeperathome77 »
Kathleen :)

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 04:27:29 PM »
My question would be, how old is your baby?  I found with my kids that introducing solids early (6 months), if they were high carbs (fruits, esp. bannanas, grains, etc.) it would overload their liver with carbs, and so the liver couldn't process other toxins as well.  Also, according to stuff I've read on here, young children do not have the amylase (digestive enzyme), or have such low levels of it, that they cannot digest grains at all.  My #2 dd became terribly constipated a few weeks after I started giving her grains, around 7 months.  I couldn't figure out why, becaus at that point I thought whole grains whould aid in elimination because of the fiber.  I was wrong though.

This was the case with both my children (ages 1 and 2), and I am now learning how best to feed them.  I thought my 16 month old had an egg allergy/ sensitivity, but when I smartened up and quit giving her grains and cut out all other carbs (fruit, potatoes), she can eat three eggs for breakfast and not break out at all!  Probiotics helped a lot too (which is basically powdered good bacteria for the gut- like in yogurt or kefir).  They aid in digestion and elimination, and your body is not healthy without enough of them.  I opened up the pill and sprinkled it on my kids food.  It tastes like nothing at all.

It turns out young kid's don't need grains.  I have found that the most important foods for kids are healthy dairy, eggs (yolks only for babies under one- although I know of a girl who is still exclusively nursing her 11 month old- wish I'd done that!), and vegetables, and lots of healthy saturated fats.  We use coconut oil, butter, and fatty cuts of meat, for healthy brain development, healthy skin, and etc.

It is possible that he is allergic to the casein in the milk (milk protein), but I don't know that this would cause a reaction just being near it.  If it were me, I would cut out grains and carbs for a while, use probiotics, then try it near his skin again.

I would reccomend the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.  The thread where I got all my info is.....ok, I'll have to find it, then post it. 

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 04:30:13 PM »
Search: Toddler Eczema Poor Carbohydrate and Fat Metabolism and you'll find the info about grain digestion and liver overload that I'm talking about.  Try the last page or couple of pages, they have the best/ most current info.  It's helped me and my girls a lot.  I really believe that most allergy/ sensitivities start in the gut.

Offline keeperathome77

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 04:58:40 PM »
My baby is 15 months old...still nurses...started eating solids very late. Even now he really doesn't eat much, just a wide variety. Well, a wide variety without dairy and eggs. Really more fruits and veggis than anything else.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 05:39:38 PM »
 :'(I wish mine still nursed!  Could be just one of those things, but it would be interesting to see what happenes if you took grains out.  I remember on that thread I told you about, the woman I got most of my info from (Likemanywaters) mentioned that she ended up greatly increasing her good saturated fat content in her diet, the way she did with her son, and her daugher started sleeping better at night (who still nurses at 11 months), and I think she mentioned some other benefit but can't remember what.  I think it was digestion or skin related.  but she figured her milk was too lean and that's why.  I did that too and my hands are so baby soft now- used to be badly dry and cracked.  I'm not fatter, either!

YoopreMama

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »
ALL RIGHT--HERE WE GO!   ;D
I searched for "coconut oil allergy" but couldn't find any answers. I would like to know if anyone else has had allergic reactions to coconut oil. I put some on my hands last night and when I woke up the next time, they were broken out all over(palms included) with little blisters that made my hands feel like they were on fire. I am prone to eczema.

Something else I wonder about is this: If someone has a "contact allergy" (allergic when they touch a certain substance), should they also not eat that substance. For example, I cannot touch fresh tomatoes without my skin erupting, should I be avoiding eating them too? And now should I not ingest coconut oil?

Has it been shown that if a person is allergic to one "tropical" fruit that he may be allergic to others as well? I am allergic to pineapple. Now coconut? Recently when I mentioned to someone that I was allergic to latex, they said I should not eat kiwi fruit. I'm missing the connection there.

Anyway, that turned out longer than I meant it to be initially. Would you please point me in the right direction(s)?  thank you, mrs_zog

I am exploring the possibility of being allergic/intolerant to citric acid (after the Master Cleanse and all of the lemons--my itchy rash)...I also used Emergen-C a lot this winter.   I wonder if my body has had enough of citric acid, given its abundance in so many things as a preservative...added to the 18 day MC....anyone else know of someone w/ citric intolerance/allergy?

Here is some dialogue about it from a new friend... ;) (I'm in red):

Asked new chiropractor about eczema, he said "it is acid leaving the body. avoid eating fruits and vegetables, especially of the nightshade family"--fascinating...slicing tomatoes stings my hands..kiwi, too...growing up I thought oranges bothered the corners of my mouth... I  decided that it probably wasn't healty to not eat fruits and veggies, so I still do. But that started me thinking about external products I use. I changed the hand lotion I was using to one that did not contain any "[citric, stearic, oleic, lactic, etc.] acid." Immediate positive results!! I have avoided many things in external bodycare, but acids aren't one...m/b that's why Citrus Ginger Burt's Bees bugs me! Since then, I also changed my soap, shampoo, and other lotions.

An Aha! moment came when I read the ingredients of Dial antibac soap. No acids! Without reading the labels, over the years, I had figured out it was the "only" soap(at least of those around while in my parents' house) that didn't make me break out.  Interesting.

I have a contact allergy to fresh tomatoes. I still haven't had anyone say this means I shouldn't eat them, but I rarely do anyway. Processed tomatoes/tomato juice burns my skin to about the same degree as fresh citrus juices. I rarely eat oranges because I don't like to peel them. I know what you mean.   :(

The handful of times I have used coconut oil on my hands at night, I wake up with tiny oozing blisters covering them (palms included). I wonder if there's anything similar to citric acid in coconuts. I'm wondering about that, too, b/c I make salves w/ it and it seems to irritate it.  Hmmm...I'm getting excited about these connections!
I also have a contact allergy to latex.

So there's some acecdotal evidence whether any or all of it is relevent. I hope it's helpful. IT IS!

Anyone else hear of this?  Have I finally found the cause of my itchy skin????I am researching like mad and will update... ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:43:32 PM by YooperMama »

YoopreMama

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2007, 04:45:02 PM »
I have heard of allergies to coconut and its products. It can't remember which forum it was. I read a lot about food allergies.

http://www.allergycapital.com.au/Pages/coconut.html

http://www.nutrition4health.org/NOHAnews/NNW90CoconutAllergy.htm

http://www.woodlandherbs.co.uk/acatalog/food_allergy.html#coconut

According to the website of pediatric authors Drs. Sears, berries, buckwheat, chocolate, cinnamon, citrus fruits, coconut, corn, mustard, peas, pork, seeds, sesame, sugar, tomatoes and yeast are also common allergens from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_allergy

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp#T041805

Thank you for these links...I'm on them now and am learning much...why m/b coconut oil topically makes a rash but maybe not ingested (years of coconut-derived cleansers ? SLS).  I was looking for the elimination diet, too, and found it there.  AND learning what is in the nightshade family...cayenne and lemons--no wonder the Master Cleanse seemed to provoke this!  Potatoes....tomato-based sauces...:(

YoopreMama

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2007, 04:54:37 PM »
Has it been shown that if a person is allergic to one "tropical" fruit that he may be allergic to others as well? I am allergic to pineapple. Now coconut? Recently when I mentioned to someone that I was allergic to latex, they said I should not eat kiwi fruit. I'm missing the connection there.

Here is something from herbfever's link
http://www.woodlandherbs.co.uk/acatalog/food_allergy.html#coconut:

Latex-food syndrome
Latex allergy is caused by a reaction to a number of allergens found in natural rubber or latex. In recent years, the number of people with latex allergy has increased, particularly among healthcare workers and people with spina bifida, because they come into contact with lots of latex products. Latex contains lots of allergens that are similar to the allergens in some foods. So people who are allergic to latex might also find they react to foods such as banana, mango, kiwi, chestnut, paprika, celery, apple, carrot, cherry, coconut, strawberry and avocado. This is called latex-food syndrome.
back to table

YoopreMama

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2007, 05:05:27 PM »
No problem, when my dc don't have their allergens NO RASH!

That's what I'm hoping for :).  I just showered and read to my dismay, that my "good" shampoos...body soaps, hair shampoo bars all have some variation of citric acid (or coconut oil)...UGGH!  I have greasy hair b/c I refuse to use it.  

But, praise the Lord for this new discovery...now to try an elimination diet.   :(

YoopreMama

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2007, 05:15:01 PM »
Yoopermama, Have you ever researched food allergies prior to this? Do you have any others?

herbfever--
Eh...I've not known of any...was suspecting possibly gluten w/ this rash, but...switched to raw milk products...this is such of a new thing (itchiness), but have struggled w/ eczema for years, on & off.  I have posts all over this forum on eczema, dead sea salts, SLS, etc.  Never been tested, but maybe it's time now.  Do you recommend the blood tests I've read briefly about (vs. the skin patch)?

Thanks again for your time and thoughts!   :-*

YoopreMama

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 05:24:29 PM »
I will warn you that as you do an elimination diet it is possible for other allergens to show up.  It was a long road that had bumps but the Lord saw us through!

What are you removing?

If you have severe eczema common allergens are citrus, tomato, chocolate, eggs, shellfish, wheat, peanuts and dairy( I know not popular since kefir is so popular).

Do you think raw milk products are "safe"?  :-\ I'm doing some extensive one...will try and link the site...it was in your list somewhere...here it is:
http://www.fpnotebook.com/ENT5.htm

YoopreMama

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 05:41:45 PM »
The allergist we saw didn't recommend blood test. Our children were too young and they aren't accurate enough. I am not saying you shouldn't have one though. We followed an elimination diet and been successful. I have also read and read about food allergy.

If you are allergic to casein raw milk will still be a problem. I am not saying that you are but I have found that after Nourishing Traditions became popular raw milk has been touted as a cure. If you are intolerant to milk raw milk will help and of course it the best choice if you have no problems with dairy products. If you have an allergy it can aggravate the problem. My children get sick again even having acidophillus. I am just mentioning this in case you find it aggravating you. I have found it true personally and in reading allergy info.

If you have Unraveling the Mystery of Autism it also helpful to those with allergy.

That book is incredible!  It's been a few years since I read it.

No acidophilus, hey?  Wow.  I know eczema is often linked w/ dairy...I guess I should do a true elimination diet since that's one of the big 8...sigh..I love my yogurt!  I guess I hate my skin more.  Thanks again! 

YoopreMama

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 06:13:34 PM »
When I started out I thought 7-10 days I can do that for my childrens health. You can do it!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement...I guess if I could do the Master Cleanse, I can do this :) (as a I eat sweet potato fries--glad they're not in the nightshade family!). ;D

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 06:55:19 PM »
I had a rash on my ankles first, then my wrists, and finally my hands for over 25 years before I found out what was causing it:  milk!  I got off all milk right away, and the rash went away.

Until about two years ago....then suddenly it was back, even though there is no milk whatsoever in my diet.  I figured it was coming from something else, but what?  I did not have all the information presented here. 

The citric acid and nightshade stuff rings a bell with me.  Several years ago, a naturopath told me I was allergic to vitamin C.  I never went back to her because I thought, "How can I be allergic to something my body must have to survive?"  Also, after a really bad bout with candida about 10 yrs ago., I had the blood test done.  It did not show that I was sensitive to dairy (???), but it did show that I was sensitive to every kind of pepper they tested me for.  The literature accompanying the test report said that if you are sensitive to two or more foods in the same food family, you should stay away from all the others in that family too.  Peppers are, of course, in the nightshade family--as are tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, and tobacco (so I had to give up chewing-- ;D haha!)  And it is as you said--cutting up fruit and vegetables makes my hands feels raw, especially when I am doing potatoes!

But here is what confuses me:  the only thing that I have done that gives me any lasting relief from this rash, i.e., it doesn't come back till a couple of weeks later, is to rub my hands with mangosteen juice, put on latex gloves to keep it from evaporating, and sleep with them on overnight.  In the morning, no rash.  This doesn't seem possible, but I have done it several times, with the same result each time. 

That seems backwards if I am allergic to citric...
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

YoopreMama

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 07:00:21 PM »
*I* would remove ALL dairy because of my personal experience.  I'm resigning myself to it.   :-\

The elimination diet looks good.

I would also remove oats due to cross contamination with gluten. It was also take gluten longer than 7 days to leave your system. 2 weeks of no gluten  would be a minimum a month better. It looks like peanut butter is on the ok list. I would remove that also.  OK..no oats...PB will be missed a bit

I wouldn't bother reintroducing food coloring/ dye HUGE no no for food allergy sufferers plus its not good for anyone That's easy--been avoiding THAT for years!  ;D  Whew!

eta: Since you have been having problem so long I would do the elimination a minimum of 10 days to get it all out of your system. Can I give it a powerful name like the Master Cleanse has?  Like, The Supreme Elimination Cleanse?   :D

I will pray for you. Withdrawal of allergens can be tough. Your body will be screaming for them.Thank you for the prayers--they will be appreciated and coveted and effectual beyond anything I can do in the physical.

I missed these tips earlier--very good advice...thank you!   :-*

YoopreMama

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 07:03:42 PM »
I had a rash on my ankles first, then my wrists, and finally my hands for over 25 years before I found out what was causing it:  milk!  I got off all milk right away, and the rash went away.  Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm starting to wonder about milk, too.   :-\

The citric acid and nightshade stuff rings a bell with me.  Several years ago, a naturopath told me I was allergic to vitamin C.  I never went back to her because I thought, "How can I be allergic to something my body must have to survive?" I'm thinking that, too, and hoping it's just an intolerance due to me overloading my system w/ it these past 3 months.  Also, after a really bad bout with candida about 10 yrs ago., I had the blood test done.  It did not show that I was sensitive to dairy (???), but it did show that I was sensitive to every kind of pepper they tested me for.  The literature accompanying the test report said that if you are sensitive to two or more foods in the same food family, you should stay away from all the others in that family too.  Peppers are, of course, in the nightshade family--as are tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, and tobacco (so I had to give up chewing-- ;D haha!)   :D  And it is as you said--cutting up fruit and vegetables makes my hands feels raw, especially when I am doing potatoes!  I forgot about potatoes! OUCH!  >:(

But here is what confuses me:  the only thing that I have done that gives me any lasting relief from this rash, i.e., it doesn't come back till a couple of weeks later, is to rub my hands with mangosteen Must check that out--I think mango stings me, too...is it like mago?juice, put on latex Really? gloves to keep it from evaporating, and sleep with them on overnight.  In the morning, no rash.  This doesn't seem possible, but I have done it several times, with the same result each time. 

That seems backwards if I am allergic to citric...

Thanks again!   ;D

Offline mercy

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 07:21:05 PM »
But here is what confuses me:  the only thing that I have done that gives me any lasting relief from this rash, i.e., it doesn't come back till a couple of weeks later, is to rub my hands with mangosteen Must check that out--I think mango stings me, too...is it like mago?juice, put on latex Really? gloves to keep it from evaporating, and sleep with them on overnight.  In the morning, no rash.  This doesn't seem possible, but I have done it several times, with the same result each time. 

Mangoes and mangosteen is not the same thing.  Mangoes tear up my hands too.  Don't know why the mangosteen juice works--and it sure doesn't seem like it ought to!  :D
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

YoopreMama

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2007, 05:11:50 AM »
bump

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2007, 05:35:50 AM »
Hey Yooper!  ;D  Remember me telling you about citric acid coming from aspergillus niger?  What if you're actually allergic to that?  I know my son is allergic to it, but I've never tried removing citric acid from his diet.  :-\  (Agh!  So many things to think about!!)  Anyway, found this on wikipedia.

"In this production technique, which is still the major industrial route to citric acid used today, cultures of Aspergillus niger are fed on sucrose to produce citric acid. After the mold is filtered out of the resulting solution, citric acid is isolated by precipitating it with lime (calcium hydroxide) to yield calcium citrate salt, from which citric acid is regenerated by treatment with sulfuric acid.

Alternatively, citric acid is sometimes isolated from the fermentation broth by extraction with a hydrocarbon solution of the organic base trilaurylamine, followed by re-extraction from the organic solution by water."

"Information about citric acid intolerance is difficult to find but anecdotal evidence suggests that symptoms may include excess gas production, stomach cramps, diarrhea, headache, skin rashes, and acne. Since the body already contains citric acid it may be that the mold grown variety, that is an additive in many foods, is suspect in precipitating many reactions."
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline mercy

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2007, 06:46:05 AM »
Hey Yooper!  ;D  Remember me telling you about citric acid coming from aspergillus niger?  What if you're actually allergic to that?  I know my son is allergic to it, but I've never tried removing citric acid from his diet.  :-\  (Agh!  So many things to think about!!)  Anyway, found this on wikipedia.

"In this production technique, which is still the major industrial route to citric acid used today, cultures of Aspergillus niger are fed on sucrose to produce citric acid. After the mold is filtered out of the resulting solution, citric acid is isolated by precipitating it with lime (calcium hydroxide) to yield calcium citrate salt, from which citric acid is regenerated by treatment with sulfuric acid.

Alternatively, citric acid is sometimes isolated from the fermentation broth by extraction with a hydrocarbon solution of the organic base trilaurylamine, followed by re-extraction from the organic solution by water."

"Information about citric acid intolerance is difficult to find but anecdotal evidence suggests that symptoms may include excess gas production, stomach cramps, diarrhea, headache, skin rashes, and acne. Since the body already contains citric acid it may be that the mold grown variety, that is an additive in many foods, is suspect in precipitating many reactions."

I have indeed experienced ongoing problems with all these symptoms, but especially the last three.  I never would have thought, at the age of 50, that I would STILL be having problems with acne.  I rarely get the little pimples; for me, it is big ones that swell and are painful to the touch.  They seem to come up in a matter of hours, and are deep--they never seem to have a head on them.

This gives me a little hope though.  I was really bummed out last night after reading a lot of this thread.  I'm already milk and cane sugar free, and was thinking I might need to eliminate gluten too---and now this!  If I eliminated fruit and vegetable from my diet, the only thing left to eat would be meat and beans and rice.  No pepper to season it with either!  Suddenly the future was looking pretty grim...

But if it is the aspergillus niger, then maybe to answer is just to eat nothing but whole foods.  What do you think, friends?

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2007, 07:08:20 AM »
This is just an opinion, but if you would be allergic to citric acid, it seems to be the kind that is produced from a.niger, not the kind in the fruit.  So, if you were actually intolerant to a.niger, that would be easier to avoid.  For my son, we either peel the fruit, or wash it in natural fruit and veggie wash to get the a.niger off.  Apspergillus niger is a mold found on fruit, veggies, peanuts, etc.  It came up on his IgG test that he was allergic to it, that's how we found out.  HTH

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2007, 07:12:01 AM »
Found more stuff on wikipedia.  :)

"Aspergillus niger is a fungus and one of the most common species of the genus Aspergillus. It causes a disease called black mold on certain fruits and vegetables such as grapes, onions, and peanuts, and is a common contaminant of food. It is ubiquitous in soil and is commonly reported from indoor environments, where its black colonies can be confused with those of Stachybotrys (species of which have also been called "black mold").[1]

Some strains of A. niger have been reported to produce potent mycotoxins called ochratoxins,[2] but other sources disagree, claiming the latter report is based upon misidentification of the fungal species. Recent evidence suggests some true A. niger strains do produce ochratoxin A.[1]"

"A. niger causes black mold of onions. Infection of onion seedlings by A. niger can become systemic, manifesting only when conditions are conducive. A. niger causes a common postharvest disease of onions, in which the black conidia can be observed between the scales of the bulb. The fungus also causes disease in peanuts and in grapes. The spore comes to common trees such as maple."

Offline mercy

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2007, 07:33:44 AM »
No problem to avoid peanuts--don't care for them that much anyway.  But no onions in my cooking??  And no grapes?  I might can live without grapes, though I sure will miss them.  But no onions in my cooking is almost inconceivable!  Help me out here, some of you who do this all the time....WHAT do you eat? 

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2007, 07:44:29 AM »
No problem to avoid peanuts--don't care for them that much anyway.  But no onions in my cooking??  And no grapes?  I might can live without grapes, though I sure will miss them.  But no onions in my cooking is almost inconceivable!  Help me out here, some of you who do this all the time....WHAT do you eat? 

You don't have to avoid the food, just wash it or peel it.  If the onion had the a.niger, you would see black spots inside it.  Otherwise, peel the outer layer like usual and use it.  With the grapes and such, I soak them in the fruit wash to remove any mold or junk, then rinse and eat.  My son does fine with them.  He also cannot have peanuts so I don't worry about those.  We soak raw veggies like broccoli also (you only need to soak for about 30 seconds).  We peel everything else and just make sure there's no black spots or apparent mold.  I know it can seem overwhelming!  It's like allergy central at our house! heehee  :D ;D ;)

abbilynn

Offline mercy

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2007, 11:08:50 AM »
Thanks, Abbilynn!  I was starting to panic for a minute there. 

YoopreMama

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2007, 05:35:45 AM »
Thanks abbilynn for the quotes   :)

I am hopeful that it would just be the mold, but I was talking w/ my mom about my reactions to oranges in childhood and my great grandma who had sensitivities to potatoes/eczema, too...

I'm on Day 2 of the elimination diet, and the itchiness has greatly decreased.  The rash is slowly improving, too, on my legs.  Arms are still bad.   :( I'm SO HUNGRY!   >:(  I can't have tea, PB, coconut oil, oatmeal, butter and nothing's keeping me full.   :(

Will research more...but we have a BEAUTIFUL WEEKEND finally predicted (60s-70), so I will NOT be here at WTM (much).  ;D