Author Topic: Multiple Food Intolerances? Get Support, Encouragement, Ideas & Links Here  (Read 24875 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
it has been presented to me, that this thread might be helpful to many of the members on our forum.

i do not currently suffer from any food intolerances, and i'm incredibly thankful for this, but i think i understand how tough it might be.

be encouraged to help each other out.

here's all i can offer for encouragement, having not been in your shoes.

1)  gut healing can reverse allergies. 

2)  sometimes you need not learn replacements for every food in the world, just learn to do without some of them to make your life and transition simpler until you adjust.

3)  give yourself a break.  your health might depend on it.  *wink*

everyone else feel free to jump in and take over.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
Thanks HB!!! You are great!  :-*

I am wondering if the cravings for the foods that used to be favorites ever goes away? Now, though I have never really had cravings during pregnancy before, I realize my current condition could be making it worse. There are days when I can see, smell, and almost taste poultry. I have always preferred poultry to any other meat and I have days when I close my eyes I can just see someone slicing that Thanksgiving turkey....  ::) :-[  It is crazy.  I did my Elisa 96 test in August and have not (knowingly) had any of my many allergens since. Is it normal to still crave things almost 6 months later?  

Also, has anyone found a good egg and soy free mayo?  I found a recipe here http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/special-dietary-needs/vegetarian/marcona-almond-mayonnaise/  but have not felt well enough to make it (I am still in the trenches of morning sickness).

Now I hope some of you others with food intolerances will join me so I am not whining to myself!  ::)  ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:49:37 AM by beppyjo »

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
Oh come on! There has to be somebody else out there that wants/needs encouragement in the whole food allergy/intolerance arena! :-[ Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!  ;D ;D

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
Well, I have a funny story from our first Sunday after we got our Elisa results back which told us we were allergic to gluten among other things.  At communion time, hubby had already given us a drink of the grape juice from the wine glass, and as he was passing out the bread to each of us it dawned on us almost at the same time that we couldn't eat any!  We just bust out laughing. No communion bread was eaten that day.  :P  So things you don't think about like having to bring your own communion bread to church!

Beppyjo, sorry about the morning sickness and cravings.  :(   I do not know anyone IRL that has food allergies and it's kinda lonely actually. Weird, but true.  I guess it's just food is such a big deal!!  I'm thinking all our traditions, especially when my MIL comes we cook up a storm and make all her favorite English meals that she wouldn't cook for just herself to spoil her.  Trifle is her favorite and that is a big no, no now. It is still really, really hard for me at our church potlucks. I've had to go sit outside under the guise of overseeing kids just to get away from all my favorite foods!  I believe this will get easier. I guess it will just take some time.  When I'm at home I very rarely have cravings, but if I go out to the store or pass our favorite pizza joint I have had very strong cravings! Doughnuts are a biggie, though I only had them like a few times a year before. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.  ;)
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Oh come on! There has to be somebody else out there that wants/needs encouragement in the whole food allergy/intolerance arena! :-[ Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!  ;D ;D

BJ - we daily walk this road.  I get weary at times but look back and remind myself of where my DH and DS were a year ago and realize it's all worth it.  Now that a year has gone by they are able to eat small amounts of things they couldn't even consider touching a year ago.  Nightshades being the biggie.  So when you get discouraged and frustrated, just remind yourself that in a few short months you will be able to start adding things back in.  Also remember that you want to feel well and the only way to do so is diet. 

Nourish your baby when you can.   ;)  Hopefully, the MS will pass quickly.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Chadycake

• Adept
I could use support and encouragement!

Beppyjo,  for the most part I do not crave the things I can't have anymore.  Although I do go through times when I have cravings.  Certain times of the month for instance.  And it was definitely harder when I was pregnant.  In my other pregnancies I had given in to whatever craving I had. ::)

As far as 6 month being normal to still be having craving... I'd say yes.  I fought for at least a year before I finally accepted that I really couldn't eat those things.  And it was only a couple years ago that I finally gave up chinese food.  I'm allergic to wheat, corn & soy & had deluded myself into thinking that if I just got rice dishes I would be fine.  HELLO!  Every sauce is made with soysauce & cornstarch!

So here's where I need encouragement...  I was diagnosed w/ my allergies 8 years ago.  I've never had my kids tested, but I suspect that they have some food allergies too.  Because we have good insurance this year & probably won't next year, I finally made appts for all of us.  I'm pretty doctor-phobic so just making the appts was a big step for me.  But now I'm kind of scared to find out!  Once I know... I'll have to do something about it.  I'm seriously lacking confidence in my ability to handle this.  What if I have even more allergies?  How can I cut out even more out of my diet?  What if we all have a bunch of different allergies?  How can I possibly cook different things for everybody?  AAAAAHHHHH!

Is it normal to freak out this much over this?

Trying not to panic...
~W
"Daddy, when we die, will we have eyes... so we can see God?" -Caleb, age 4

I'm blogging recipes and natural health info at http://concoctionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
 Also, has anyone found a good egg and soy free mayo?  I found a recipe here http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/special-dietary-needs/vegetarian/marcona-almond-mayonnaise/  but have not felt well enough to make it (I am still in the trenches of morning sickness).
i created this thread for general chatter, so i'd ask that if you have specific questions, that you look for the right thread or create another one.  this request would make a good thread of it's own.

I created one here.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,27273.new.html#new
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
Thanks for the mayo thread HB!  And I am so glad to see that there are some other participants on this thread! WOOHOO! You have all been encouraging and it is nice to know I am not alone.....

MJ, As we have never noticed a reaction we still take regular communion. If I could get my brain working I would take my own gf bread but I never remember......  We avoid potlucks and such for right now. Our church has a dinner every Sunday night so I will try to make a comparable meal if we are going to go.... takes a lot of the fun out of it when I have to do so much extra cooking though.  Course I won't have to worry about that for awhile as I am too sick to leave the house still.

Patti, I started down the diet road for my middle child and so when I get discouraged I think of how far she has come. I can't see very much improvement with myself because of pregnancy but it is encouraging to note where we were and where we are now!

CC,  I understand about the panic. We started out taking gluten and casein  out of our diets for my dd and I thought that was really hard. When my health took a dramatic turn for the worse and I was forced to go to an ND I was terrified to do the Elisa test. I still want to do the rest of my family some day but it scares me because I am scared that we will have to take even more out of our diet and that seems unfathomable! I think your "panic" is completely normal.  Just try to think about how much better everyone will feel if you do find other allergens to remove. I know the changes in my dd health are AMAZING!!! 

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
Me again   :-[   I am needing to know that I will survive pregnancy without my "go to" foods.  I feel like I am going to starve, not that I am literally hungry (at least not most of the time) but trying to find foods that fit my "o.k. to eat" list, my very picky pregnancy palate and tummy, are easy to prepare and quick to get, is frustrating me to no end.  Food/life were hard enough (o.k., I'll be honest, I was barely surviving :P :-[ ) when I could be preparing meals, cleaning the kitchen and the dishes, etc.... now it seems impossible. I have help some of the time but I don't even know what to tell my help to get me....... Has anyone else survived pregnancy while strictly avoiding a fairly extensive list of "bad foods"?  Am I just a total baby? (Maybe I don't want you to answer that.......) 

Offline and

• Learning
Declarations first.  I thank Jesus Christ, the one true Son of God, who died to save me from my sins for His salvation, and for two beautiful, healthy boys, and a truly loving husband, along with many, nay, innumerable gifts and blessings each more undeserved than the last.  All that I have is by grace and I am grateful.  This may not sound grateful, but it is not out of a spirit of complaint, but a need to get out the bad and get on with the new.  I have to let go of the negative feeling associated with what is going on and empty my cup so that the Lord can pour me a fresh cup of tea. 
Please help me.  I have read about the gaps diet.  I have read most of Nourishing Traditions.   We see our chiropractor regularly, take probiotics, supplement where we feel it necessary, and eat almost everything made from scratch.  My first son is allergic to wheat, oats (and we eliminated others glutens because of reactions as well) milk-even raw grass fed organic cow milk, lilly family foods like garlic, onion, leek,. shallot, chives, yeast, eggs, and cannot have sugar.  He started developing a sensitivity to nightshades, so we severley restricted those.  He is 3.  My second son was born in December, is fully breastfed,  and reacts with exczema, spitting up, and bowel discomfort to corn, purdue chicken, peanuts -which I have only eaten 2-3 times in the past year, almonds( he just gets really red, milk, and possibly meats (my theory is corn fed meats right now, but I am praying that I'm imagining it, and testing it out today).  My doctor is trying to help us keep from developing a new allergy or sensitivity -it would seem- by telling us not to eat anything :).  I'm kidding.  It does almost feel that way though.  I may not eat any grain or grass family foods for at least 6 months, soy only 1-2 times a week, no nuts, and all of my first son's allergens only once per week (eggs, nightshades, lilly...), rotating legumes and seeds like sesame and sunflower every 3 days and alternating days for the pseudocereals. I need protein, I need sanity, and more than all of that- my family loves me and really needs me. I can't afford grass fed meat, or organic everything. 
When my oldest son-also breastfed- started showing signs of eczema and bowel problems I went on La Leche League's 4 food diet-turkey, pears, rice and squash- no seasoning, just salt, and lost all of the baby weight  ;D and proceeded on to gaunt and rather unsightly :(.  I was so hungry I cried.  I didn't even want to eat.  It took over a year to adjust to all of his food needs and we were just starting to get comfortable with them and now we have new challenges.
I just feel so disheartened.  I know God has already made a way to deal with this, and I just need to wait for Him to reveal it, but I am hurting and I'm not there for my family, I am emotionally consumed with the memory, a bit of fear, anxiety, and just wondering what to make for dinner and how to eat and how to feed all of us, and I'm tired.  I really don't want to get emaciated again.  I greatly dislike eating quinoa.  I'm not ungrateful, I'm just tired.  I'm having a big weak moment, please know that I am not complaining so much as venting to a crowd that has been there- no one around me has, they don't get it, and they come at me in the only way they know how-with pity, and I don't want or need pity.  Ideas, a hug, direction, empathy, prayer and companionship yes, but not pity.  It makes me angry, makes me less likley to talk about this to them.  Then there's the other crowd that is full of nutritional shouldn'ts and that's all well and good for a person who has the freedom to make that choice, but has no limitations other than their ideas about proper nutrition and good stewardship. 
Where do I go?  What do we eat?  I can't ask my dear husband to fund the purchase of wierd foods (mesquite flour at 14.95/#)or $7/# pastured poultry.  I just want to be me and this is silly; this should not be consuming me like this.  It's only food, but my heart seems to just feel this like a hammer.  Please forgive me.  I know there are many of you out there who are in thicker situations than we are.  My heart goes out to you.  There just isn't anywhere else in my life to go with all of this, and I have appealed to God, now I'm looking for support and ideas. 

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
and....
I've often wondered how so many of the women/families here remain so strong and vigilant with allergies.  I really have no frame of  to this personally and thankfully so.
I have to admit that I think it takes a very strong person to admit that it is hard, and not just a little bit hard, but marathon-climbing-mountains hard, to live with food allergies.  At least that is my perception as I see it in others.
I don't have any practical words of wisdom for you, but I'm sure that there will be many here before long.
Take a deep breath and find the strength to do this... you've already got it, it's just worn thin right now, and that is bound to happen.
Praying for you....

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
My family has multiple food allergies/sens. too and it is sooo hard.  Patti (Mykidsmom) is a GREAT source of encouragement and ideas.  I am not going to give any ideas yet, I need to think it through more. We are still fairly well in the beginning stages......
  You said your Dr is testing..... what test is he doing?  Are you doing anything to heal the gut (e.g. supplements)? Is he a ND?  Are you testing for anything besides food allergies, like stool tests for fungus and bacteria?  I guess I'm just asking for a more detailed picture of what you are doing..... in hopes that I/we can give you more educated encouragement and ideas. Hang in there....... it will get better!  Hopefully Patti can link to her story, I think you would find it very encouraging!

(((HUGS))) 

Offline dvbrd

• Learning
    • Surviving Allergeez
and

I'm so sorry, living with multiple food allergies can be so frustrating and overwhelming. When I started my journey with my son over 6 years ago, I really felt a lot like you did, especially the part where there is no one around to even talk to and get suggestions from.  I remember even having to fight with close family members to get them to take my son's allergies seriously and going to a nutrionist to get help and all they did was send me home with recipes for weight boosting smoothies that had lots of dairy in them. Thankfully, for sites like well tell me, and companies offering many alternatives to dairy, etc. life has gotten easier. One suggestion I'd like to add is a site called www.918couponqueen.com. This company was started up by a mom, whose son had multiple, life-threatening food allergies and she got to the point where the grocery bill was so high she and her husband could not afford to eat. Anyway, she has a lot of free suggestions on how to use coupons and where to get them and how to cut the costs of your groceries. By using some of her tips I have reduced my grocery bill and am able to afford more of those specialty items for my son that really make my life easier. Hang in there! You can do this!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
and -

I wanted to let you know I've seen your note here.  I will respond.  I've got company right now so can't do it until later this weekend maybe.  I do have some ideas for you.  I KNOW this is overwhelming.  We have so been there. 

As beppyjo asked, I would like to know what testing y'all have had done.  Was it ELISA allergy testing?  Have you had a stool test for pathogenic bacterias?  I suspect this is part of the issue.  But I can give you a way to get through this.  I think without breaking the bank. 

Blessings sister.  Been there, done that.  And it is so hard.  But God does give a way through it and he has, and we are stronger and better for it both spiritually and physically. 

Chat on here hopefully by tonight.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
hi and--i could have written exactly what you just wrote.  i feel that exact same way right now.  i just had my beautiful baby 8 weeks ago.  i am normally less than 100 lbs., and rapidly approaching that.  i'm nursing, and trying not to eat 19 foods that i'm allergic to.  if i am NOT allergic to something, my baby doesn't like it, like spices, beans, & i'm not even sure if i can eat fruit that should be allowed.  i am just where you are, very discouraged, & just not sure what to do.  it is so hard to cook good meals 3 times a day for everyone else, and eat rice, veggies & meat instead w/ no spices, soy sauce whatever.  i am hungry enough to eat a horse & often have to walk away from them just to be strong enough not to eat what i am not supposed to.  i am also not digesting fats well, but i crave them something fierce, so if i eat them they make him fussy too.  i am taking tons of enzymes & probiotics to help.  i am just trying to focus on being thankful that i really did get what i wanted.  my baby is healthy, growing, and he is not screaming.   my last 3 cried all the time.  my last son to the point of screaming most of the night, & me trying to sleep in the recliner with him.  this baby sleeps well as long as i don't eat the offending foods.  and smiles at everyone as long as i don't.  so it is a huge challenge, just trying to hang in there til his first birthday.  i wish i had some words of wisdom for you.  hang in there...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:47:37 AM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Thanks HB!!! You are great!  :-*

I am wondering if the cravings for the foods that used to be favorites ever goes away? Now, though I have never really had cravings during pregnancy before, I realize my current condition could be making it worse. There are days when I can see, smell, and almost taste poultry. I have always preferred poultry to any other meat and I have days when I close my eyes I can just see someone slicing that Thanksgiving turkey....  ::) :-[  It is crazy.  I did my Elisa 96 test in August and have not (knowingly) had any of my many allergens since. Is it normal to still crave things almost 6 months later?  

Now I hope some of you others with food intolerances will join me so I am not whining to myself!  ::)  ;D

to the cravings--YES YES & YES!!!!  i crave food constantly cuz there is soooo much i can't eat that i have to look at every day.

if i were you Beppy Jo (and i was just a few months ago) i would do the Dr. Schulze bowel detox or BHS detox+ several times before this baby comes and follow up with probiotics.  i just wish i had thought of it while i was pregnant.  i was so stupid! it worked very well for me before, but after i got pregnant things continued to get worse as it progressed.  anyway, i think you can get well rather quickly! just don't delay--it is much harder now while i am nursing, cuz i have to avoid everything that bothers him.  i am going to give the BHS one a go soon.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru

Beppyjo, sorry about the morning sickness and cravings.  :(   I do not know anyone IRL that has food allergies and it's kinda lonely actually. Weird, but true.  I guess it's just food is such a big deal!!  I'm thinking all our traditions, especially when my MIL comes we cook up a storm and make all her favorite English meals that she wouldn't cook for just herself to spoil her.  Trifle is her favorite and that is a big no, no now. It is still really, really hard for me at our church potlucks. I've had to go sit outside under the guise of overseeing kids just to get away from all my favorite foods!  I believe this will get easier. I guess it will just take some time.  When I'm at home I very rarely have cravings, but if I go out to the store or pass our favorite pizza joint I have had very strong cravings! Doughnuts are a biggie, though I only had them like a few times a year before. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.  ;)

i've had to do that too! and just feeding my family is very hard.  it seems i crave food ALL the time, whereas before i didn't think about it that much! 

the day i went into labor, i had made my kids my best banana bread.  i always LOVE it when it first comes out, all crusty on the outside.  as i was slicing it for them, i just burst into tears.   :'(  i just couldn't take it any more!  they were singing this sappy song with the radio, and i just lost it.  we had a big group hug and they reassured me that it wasn't forever. less than 12 hours later baby was born.   :D 

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
Hi Ladies!
  I wanted to get on here to get some encouragement. Well, I have not tested my children for various reasons.  I have posted many times about my oldest daughter (5) on here and it’s been mentioned that it sounds as if she has allergies, specifically to milk. Things have been getting worse for her and I keep proclaiming her no dairy, but never go through with it. Honestly, reading about dealing with food allergies is what makes me hesitant. I don’t want to go down the path of having a kid who can’t eat certain foods and dealing with all that. I know this isn’t right because it’s for her health for the best.  It is difficult when you are surrounded by people who don’t get it. I say no dairy to grandma and she says yes she understands and even though she doesn’t let her have milk in her cereal she puts cheese in her sandwich and gives her ranch dressing. I have sat and explained what no dairy means and why we are doing this and family say they understand and then turn around and give her something she shouldn’t have and then get mad at me when I say she can’t have that. Yes I have a very close family. I know I need to take a firm stand for my daughter. Then there is things like, “Well we wanted to go to Dairy Queen after the zoo.” And I feel guilty myself that she can’t have any and let her and then see the reactions.  I know getting started is difficult for everyone. I have started and stopped so many times. I have to sit down and think about what I can do to make things easier. For instance, in two weeks we are going to Germany. They want to take us to this little village where there is a wonderful little ice cream parlor. What can I do? Say no thanks we all miss out for my daughter’s sake? Let her sit there while everyone else is enjoying theirs? Let her have some and then she can be miserable for the next 2 days or so.  You have all been here and it may seem silly to some but I can’t get past this part to do what is right.  I have a friend who works in an allergy/asthma clinic and she agrees Audrey has an allergy to something per her physical signs but not the behavior or other things that may be triggered by it. I have the book “Is this your child” and am reading it and I realize I spent my childhood with allergies and miserable and not recognized and I don’t want the same for my daughter.  Anyways- I just need help getting on to the diving board. By the way, we eat kosher so I have experience avoiding foods and declining food offers but it’s easier when it’s as a family and there are still so many options.
Thanks
Kittyninja

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
hey kitty ninja! i have the exact same problem, x 5.  i am planning on doing the detox + with the kids 5 or 6 times over the next year, or whatever it takes to clean out the allergies and doing probiotics between.  those are the exact reasons i haven't done it fully.  i do rice milk at home, and they rarely eat cheese, but food is such a huge part of life, esp. as a kid that it's really hard to get away from an entire food group.  i have the discipline not to feed it to myself, but they would miss out on tons of stuff.  anyway, just an idea--good luck and have FUN in Germany! i wouldn't try to avoid anything on a trip like that! maybe get a cleanse in before you go?  or have you tried using charcoal or a homeopathic when she ingests the dairy? 

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
What about having her take the pills that are basically an enzyme to break the dairy down (I think it is lactase?)?  I remember my son was allergic when he was younger and that worked so well for us.  I did my best to avoid dairy, but when it wasn't as avoidable, we just gave him the little pill right with the first bite of dairy.  

Maybe that would be an option for your Germany trip.  Then you could attack the root of the problem more when you come home?  

Having said that, I haven't done a lot of research on lactase pills.  So you might want to do that first.  We used those pre WTM  :D  and he hasn't had any problems with dairy since he was 3 (5 years ago).   But from what I understand, they are just made up of the enzyme that would normally be present to break down milk.  So does anyone know if these would be a problem?

I will say that I understand your thoughts completely.  I have a 3 year old now that I think would benefit from eliminating dairy (really dry skin and eczema patches), but I have felt the same way.  I don't want to go down that path.  It seems too difficult.  But it seems inevitable. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:42:21 PM by orcuttranch »

Offline DHW

• Adept
Doris Rapp (Is This Your Child?) recommends Alka Seltzer Gold as soon as you notice a reaction to food or drink.

Alka-Seltzer® Gold does not contain aspirin.

Contains:
•Heat treated sodium bicarbonate 1050 mg
•Citric acid 1000 mg
•Alka-Seltzer® Gold contains principally the antacids sodium citrate and potassium citrate.
•Potassium Bicarbonate 344 mg

You can get a similar effect with baking soda and citrus juice mixed with water. 

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
 I understand where you are..... We made the plunge with my dd for for a variety of reasons and one of the unexpected blessings for us was her behavioral changes. Much as it is hard being no dairy (DH and I were both raised on dairy farms and our families both still operate these farms) it has been well worth the pain.  With your trip to Germany so close I personally wouldn't start yet. I would with hold as much as you can and focus on finding things that will help alleviate her symptoms til after your trip.  If your dd is like mine lactase wouldn't help because it is only for lactose and not casein. My dd reacts to casein which is a milk protein...... I believe lactose is a milk sugar and is not present in cheese, yogurt, etc.....

As far as family goes, I found that time and much explanation really helped. Though my family was supportive they were also skeptical and I frequently got "just a little should be fine, right?" (I have a SIL that still does this). Once they started seeing the huge changes in my dd (some of which I "happened" to mention in conversations because they were things extended fam wouldn't know about) their attitudes changed and they became much more supportive and less questioning. When she would get ahold of some dairy and have a reaction I would be sure to mention it in conversation "Man you just wouldn't believe what happened when dd got ahold of some dairy!!!" It's easier to have a test result you can point at but not always practical. We have yet to do 1 for my dd, we have used elimination to figure out her many allergies.
 Also find good subs..... it always helps when you can whip out  (with a smile) a sub that is her special treat.... We found that our dd can do goat products this has been a huge blessing! We try to be careful not to have them too often but it helps when it is pizza night or something. Coconut milk can be used, and there are several co. that offer coconut milk based icecreams that are out of this world good!

Sorry, I had no idea of typing this much but my dd is 5 also and so it hits close to home with me. Remember that your attitude is going to make a HUGE difference in your daughters. You can't see her as deprived but blessed to live in an age when there are so  many subs available and a good mama that is helping her reach her God given potential (I have to use this line on myself frequently) and that the younger you start her the easier it will be on her.  I didn't start going DF til recently and I miss those foods I have had all my life. My dd is young enough that she is not feeling the loss much at all.

If you have any questions let me know.....

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
KN,

Try and use digestive enzymes on your trip to Germany.  Avoid dairy as much as you can for your DD.  You really just have to bite the bullet and do this.  Honestly, though, it would be rare for only one of your children to have a dairy allergy.  My guess is you have others as well.  It might not show up as eczema, etc. but I bet if you look at symptoms there's another one.  So, you could all go dairy free.   ;D  Or, you keep snacks on hand for your DD when you guys have ice cream, she can have rice dream.  Things like that.  My DS quickly accepted that feeling better meant not touching the things he was allergic to even if others are eating it.  Generally speaking, we all eat the same way but for example, the other day we had an apple pie that someone gave us.  He couldn't have any.  We shouldn't have.  But since it was the first in over a year we did.  I give him other stuff.  Like Rice Dream Cookie Dough ice cream.  He's happy as all get out with it and makes no fuss.  Beppyjo is right.  The earlier you start her age wise the easier it will be.  It will also help to build discipline in all of you which is a great trait to have! 

You just bite the bullet and do it and realize that if you don't, at some point your DD will pay the piper with some sort of major health issue if you don't take care of it.  Allergies cause inflammation and inflammation causes diseases.  Perhaps that will motivate you.   :D

patti

Offline and

• Learning
Thank you Ladies.  I spent a good part of the last few days in my funk and feeling sorry for myself, with my incredibly supportive husband encouraging me to just get into the funk so that I could get out of it and stop trying to fight it.  The feelings are real whether I want them or not- whether I want to admit them or not, whether I feel that I should be stronger than them or not. 
I have no idea what kind of testing you're mentioning mykidsmom.  I just went to the local allergists office for testing only (the hands off, no cortisone, leave my kids alone thank you, variety.- I hate conventional doctors ;D ) They did the RAST test on my little one's back.  They tested him for wheat, oats, chicken, peanut, almond, corn, buckwheat, egg, milk, and perhaps a few other things which I have forgotten.  The test was positive for corn, peanut, almond, and milk- all the stuff I pretty well knew going in.  With my first son's allergies falling largely in the grain category, he instructed me to avoid all grasses and grains for at least 6 months, and to strictly rotate all of the things, in my diet, to which my oldest is allergic. 
I do give the baby a neonate powder- baby probiotic, and I take a digestive enzyme with probiotics (and I do have a probiotic powder that I rarely remember to take).  I have heard about pathonogenic bacteria, but don't know what they are otehr than their namesake, how to find them or what to do about them.  I also don't know if I could safely do whatever it might be while nursing.  Would I need to anti-bad intestinal bacterial cleanse the whole house? I am curious to learn from your experience.

As far as the action plan.  I was washing dishes on Friday and I was just asking God "Lord, we had just gotten to the point where we were managing with my oldest son's allergies; why are you bringing us here again?" and it was like--ding!--this thought was given into my head.  "That's the problem.  You've been dealing with it;  I want you to fix it."  That kind of came out of nowhere for me.  Fix it?  Okay Lord, fix it. 
I went out and bought two separate pans for cooking and a new dish washing sponge, made a week long calender of foods that I will be eating, and I'm trying to stick to it.  Every third day is the same,or has one small addition, and I started with foods that I am fairly certain are okay.  Slowly, over the next weeks I will add herbs, and other foods, one at a time to observe any effects.  I noticed this morning that the shea butter I put on his cheeks made them very red for a while, and I'll be moving on to coconut oil instead.  The only problem is that I'm a bit pressed to stick to it because I crave such a diversity of foods at each meal and I don't feel truly full without animal protein, but that is minor and a matter of will and inconvenience, two thing I cannot be bothered with right now.  It's do or don't; there are no questions. 

Thank you for all of your encouragement and empathy.
and.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
And,

First, please forgive me for taking so long to respond to this.  I have actually spent the last two days typing my answer.  Took me longer then I wanted it to, but I just really felt the need to be thorough.  I hate MD's.  So, if you don't mind my saying so, ditch what that guy told you.  I'm going to give you real life.   :D

I answered part of your post below in red and then continued on in black from there.  I hope it's not too confusing.   ::)

Please help me.   My doctor is trying to help us keep from developing a new allergy or sensitivity -it would seem- by telling us not to eat anything :).  I'm kidding.    My husband was allergic to 93 of the 96 foods tested for on the ELISA test.  Not just "we can rotate them" allergic.  I mean, you'd better not touch those allergic.  The solution was to feed him those things which he did not show a clear physical reaction to and rotate as best we could.  So we eliminated dairy, gluten, eggs, nightshades and lily family.  Everything else he eats unless he reacts.  Then we add it to the list of avoids.  We've been at this over a year and his gut IS healing with this method.  We do the lilies quite easily now.  If you must do this, then do it.  Only remove those things they clearly react to.  

I may not eat any grain or grass family foods for at least 6 months, soy only 1-2 times a week, no nuts, and all of my first son's allergens only once per week (eggs, nightshades, lilly...), rotating legumes and seeds like sesame and sunflower every 3 days and alternating days for the pseudocereals. All this would drive a sane person crazy.   :o  We must find you a new way.  We will - but I need more info first.  

I need protein, I need sanity, and more than all of that- my family loves me and really needs me. I can't afford grass fed meat, or organic everything.  

I just feel so disheartened.  I know God has already made a way to deal with this, and I just need to wait for Him to reveal it, but I am hurting and I'm not there for my family, I am emotionally consumed with the memory, a bit of fear, anxiety, and just wondering what to make for dinner and how to eat and how to feed all of us, and I'm tired.  I can relate.  But God does have a way.  And you will all be better for it and you work through it.  I'll do my best to help you do that.  

I greatly dislike eating quinoa.  We aren't fond of quinoa either and actually can't eat much of it because of allergies in that family.  However, cooking it with chicken broth gives it good flavor and adding it to soups/stews works very well also.  It hides it that way and there really is no flavor.  Just the nutrition.  

I'm not ungrateful, I'm just tired.  I'm having a big weak moment, please know that I am not complaining so much as venting to a crowd that has been there- no one around me has, they don't get it, and they come at me in the only way they know how-with pity, and I don't want or need pity.  Ideas, a hug, direction, empathy, prayer and companionship yes, but not pity.  <HUGS>

Then there's the other crowd that is full of nutritional shouldn'ts and that's all well and good for a person who has the freedom to make that choice, but has no limitations other than their ideas about proper nutrition and good stewardship.   I had to accept that while certain foods were not ones I like to serve, I needed to in order for all of us to survive.  Pork being the biggie.  I get it from a farm and yes, I use bacon and sausage.  Sometimes nitrate free if I'm in a moment of guilt.  Otherwise, I asked God to bless it, help us to heal so we can skip it in the future, and we eat it.  This is what you will have to do in order to heal.  Some day, you may not have to.  Until then, you ask God to protect from other unsightly things due to that food.  Some may disagree with this, but they have not sat where we do.  

Where do I go?  What do we eat?  I'll cover this below.  

I just want to be me and this is silly; this should not be consuming me like this.  It's only food, but my heart seems to just feel this like a hammer. I do remember feeling this way.  Somehow, God brought resolution and peace and simplicity.  

I'm looking for support and ideas.  I'll do my best.  :)

Okay, to finish this out with more detail.  I'm going to try and go down this list of foods to give you as clear an idea of what I mean to.  If I get confusing, holler at me.  Essentially, you need to do a meat and fruits/veggies diet.  You won't have a lot of grains, period.  This works really really well and is very easy to do.  If you start your 24hr period and go from lunch time to lunch time, then technically that is one day.  So having dinner leftovers for lunch works very well without messing up a "4 day rotation."  

1.  Grass family - eliminate the gluten.  The easiest way to do this is to just eliminate bread and pasta.  We do like the Pamela's bread mixes and I use them weekly.  We use bread only for toast and no other purpose.  It is very filling.  We have survived without it.  You will to.  There are some other options.  Rice cakes work well for peanut butter and jelly, meat and mustard, etc.  If you want noodles for something, rice noodles will take on any flavor you cook them with so you can still make noodle and veggie casseroles, etc.  I just don't use them often.  They can be bought with the oriental foods.  

2.  No one should be eating soy anyway.  I don't worry about soy lecithin, ever.  But added soy to foods we just don't do.  If they get it once in awhile when you go out to eat, then so be it.  Bless your food and eat it.  Otherwise, you shouldn't be eating soy anything.  This really isn't hard to do as soy is mostly added to processed foods and if you're eating a basically homemade diet, then it won't matter.

3.  Are nuts a high allergen?

4.  Use eggs only for cooking, not eating.  Even if it's more then once per week.  When I think of how I cook, I generally only use eggs twice a week for dishes anyway.  My bread has two eggs but I don't even count it because how much egg are they getting in a slice of bread?  If these allergies are caused by vaccines then forget about it.  The other option is to use duck eggs for cooking and let them have chicken eggs for a saturday AM breakfast or something.  Flax and water also works well for eggs in quick breads and pancakes.  

5.  Do you eat a lot of beans, seeds and sunflower?  We have a bean and rice dish once a week for dinner and almost never use the others.  If that's what you do then don't give them the other stuff.  It'll heal the allergy quicker.  Other then sunflower seeds (which they can live without) don't use sunflower oil.  If something has a small amount in it (like processed food) don't worry about it.  There are lots of different beans, was there allergy to ALL of them?  

Obviously, I do not know how high any of these allergies are.  It would help to know.  It seems from what you wrote that gluten is the biggest issue and the others are smaller allergies because he says you can rotate them.  [/color]

Okay - here's the general way I do my meals.  First, we all eat the same thing.  Period.  Momma cannot cook two separate meals for every meal.  

Meats:  chicken, fish (fresh caught cod or salmon only), bean and rice dish once per week, buffalo, pork, beef (I have to cook something else for DS, he's allergic to beef), deer, elk, antelope (whatever I can get my hands on free).  When I use beef, I just give a leftover meat to my DS.

WR from this forum suggested checking with a place that processes wild game to see if they have any someone didn’t pick up.  Well, the last time I went to buy buffalo from my butcher guy he had 7 deer roasts that he gave me that someone didn’t pick up.  This is one way to really help with rotating meats.  I have found that wild game roasts and stew meat taste totally like regular meat and not gamey when made into soups/stews.  So for added rotation/variety you might consider this.

As far as doing this cost effectively – when you don’t buy bread or lots of GF stuff it is actually quite cost effective to do meat and veggies/fruit.  During the summer my stuff is obviously very fresh (we also grow a lot of our own) so my dinner veggies are both fresh.  During the winter I use what I have frozen and the salads.  I do not make extravagant salads.  We’re talking basic lettuce blends and shredded carrots.  My DS is allergic to lots of the veggies someone would put in a salad.  We do use a GF dressing which is more expensive but I get it from Azure which makes it very cost effective.  

I made my own flour blend from a recipe a friend gave me so I buy my GF flours in bulk from Azure (or in single packages from them depending on how much of that flour I use).  Then blend them altogether and use that to make pancakes or when I make quick breads/etc.  This is cost effective and easy to do.  

If you can’t afford organic everything, then focus as much as you can on getting hormone and antibiotic free meats (even if it’s not labeled “organic”) and just really clean your fruits and veggies.  Thank God for it and eat.  Let God do the rest.  I have found that getting my meat directly from farmers is actually cheaper.  While it’s not labeled “organic” they don’t do hormones or antibiotics.  One does use soy but I just don’t worry about it.  I can’t.  I am particular about getting my pork directly from the farms because of it’s general not necessarily healthy nature anyway.  I have checked out what she feeds them, how she treats them, etc. and am satisfied it’s still way better then anything I could get in a store.  The only exception to this is my bacon and sausage.  I get what’s on sale and get nitrate free when I can.  But 7 times out of 10, it's got nitrates.

If you can grow a garden, freezing your veggies/fruits is a good way to have healthy stuff all year.  I only can peaches and pears because of the nutrition factor.  I don’t blanch anything before I freeze it.  No need to and it holds in the nutrition.  

We do soup/stew at least 1-2 times per week which adds both nutrition (bone broth from chicken/buffalo) and stretches the food.  Gives us lunch for the next few days too.  J  

As far as the lily family foods, we all showed allergic to those as well.  What I have found is we avoid the asparagus but we can use dried onions and garlic for cooking for flavor.  If you think about the drying process, it removes the liquid enzyme in the food which is what causes the reaction.  Since it gets rehydrated in our cooking with water/fat then you don’t have the enzyme activity to create a reaction.  I have found we are fine with leeks and green onion as well (fresh/frozen, not dried).  Unless you see a clear, outward reaction to these foods, don’t worry too much about avoiding them.  Use them only in cooking and not fresh (unless you're throwing them in fresh to be cooked).  

Here is an example of what a week of dinners looks like at my house:

Mon:  roast/carrots and a salad
Tue:  chicken, rice, salad/veggie (if no rice, two veggies)
Wed: fish/sweet potato fries, salad
Thur: beef/buffalo meatloaf and 2 veggies
Fri:  using juice from Monday’s roast, add wild game or other stew meat, frozen veggies (or fresh if available), quinoa or rice.  Make a good thick stew and serve with either GF dumplings (not a favorite in my house) or GF toast
Sat:  beans and rice cooked with ham hocks; made thick as well
Sun:  Spaghetti squash with cooked, sliced chicken pieces, mixed with 1 bottle GF Italian dressing and sea salt.

We don’t do dinner Sunday night because of a late lunch after church.  However, the fam usually enjoys the beans and rice or stew from the day before for an evening “snack.”  

I mix and vary the above menu.  Sometimes we’ll have rice with the fish instead of the chicken, etc.  

Lunches are usually left overs from the night before so I make sure I cook enough to have that on hand.  It doesn’t always happen, but for the most part I’m able to make it happen.  

Breakfasts almost always are some form of sausage/bacon, GF toast or muffins, pancakes and fruit I’ve canned or fresh during the summer.  

That is the food portion.  The next part is what can you supplement to make their bodies less reactive to foods?  #1 is quercetin.  You can buy it here http://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/quercetin_ascorbate_powder_designs_for_health.html for pretty close to what we pay for ours.  We get 150gms for $20 from our ND.  It is ½ tsp. in one tbls of applesauce at every meal for the little guys with food allergies.  This will help their bodies not react as bad or not at all to their lower allergens.  It helps the inflamed immune system to calm down, thus helping to heal the allergies.  The obvious second thing is a good probiotic.  If they have not been treated for gut pathogenic bacterias then you may want to do one 30 day round of something to do that – just in case an excess of bad bacteria is causing an issue.  And then finally, a digestive enzyme is an absolute must.  One containing ox bile and no dairy or gluten would be very important.  There is a thread on here about enzymes that has several listed that are good.  In the end, the only thing they should be taking is quercetin, probiotic and digestive enzymes.  This will also help to heal their gut as quickly as possible.  We are over a year into this and are basically down to quercetin once a day, probiotic daily and enzymes only for my worst two.  So healing DOES come.  Take heart and be encouraged.  God will give you the strength and energy to do this.  I do think one bare minimum is that everyone eats the same.  Period.  Besides, if your kids have allergies, they got them from you and hub – sooooooo……….   :)

I’m not sure if this has helped at all, but I hope it has.  Please feel free to ask whatever questions you need to.  I’ll do my best.

Blessings!

patti

edited to correct buffalo to "deer" in one sentence
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:07:14 PM by mykidsmom »

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
I am getting ready to place my Azure order and was considering getting some Arrowroot powder. It says specifically that "this product is not gluten free", now I would assume that has to do with manufacturing,.... anybody else have thoughts?  Gluten only showed up as like a 1 on my Elisa test and Wheat showed up at a 2 I think...... I hadn't had a gluten in about 2 yrs before the test. I do have some minor physical reactions to it though (constipation and a over-all icky feeling).  Should I be concerned the arrowroot?   TIA!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
I am getting ready to place my Azure order and was considering getting some Arrowroot powder. It says specifically that "this product is not gluten free", now I would assume that has to do with manufacturing,.... anybody else have thoughts?  Gluten only showed up as like a 1 on my Elisa test and Wheat showed up at a 2 I think...... I hadn't had a gluten in about 2 yrs before the test. I do have some minor physical reactions to it though (constipation and a over-all icky feeling).  Should I be concerned the arrowroot?   TIA!

That's weird.  Arrowroot is naturally gluten free.  Perhaps it's not processed on dedicated GF equipment?  If they have Bob's Red Mill brand, it IS GF. 

patti

Offline sickmomgirl

• Adept
does anyone know if papaya allergies are common. I just started new supplements-- a bunch, and yesterday i could barely move with the worst arthritis/fibro pain flare up. when that happens i have to think hard about my diet changes and what it could be. I changed a lot with adding some licorice suppl (but had those before no prob) and some sesame oil, and papaya puree and papaya enzymes. I did have a little bite of almond which i tested highly allergic too, but don't think just that would have caused so much... so i thought i might be allergic to papaya as i've had a lot these past few days and several months ago I rashed when I touched a papaya (but i also touched and ate some artichoke-- which i have often in my diet and also ate these past weeks) i lost my allergy test, but don't think papaya would be a high allergen as I would remember it. i also added coconut oil and hemp protein/fiber. oh and D-ribose, which i'm pretty sure i'l stop taking as it will feed the yeast overgrowth (duh)... but there are raging reviews for it helping people with fibromyalgia.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
does anyone know if papaya allergies are common. I just started new supplements-- a bunch, and yesterday i could barely move with the worst arthritis/fibro pain flare up. when that happens i have to think hard about my diet changes and what it could be. I changed a lot with adding some licorice suppl (but had those before no prob) and some sesame oil, and papaya puree and papaya enzymes. I did have a little bite of almond which i tested highly allergic too, but don't think just that would have caused so much... so i thought i might be allergic to papaya as i've had a lot these past few days and several months ago I rashed when I touched a papaya (but i also touched and ate some artichoke-- which i have often in my diet and also ate these past weeks) i lost my allergy test, but don't think papaya would be a high allergen as I would remember it. i also added coconut oil and hemp protein/fiber. oh and D-ribose, which i'm pretty sure i'l stop taking as it will feed the yeast overgrowth (duh)... but there are raging reviews for it helping people with fibromyalgia.

If you've reacted to it by touch then you are likely allergic to it.  Coconut can be a problem if someone has lots of nut allergies.  Yes, if you are highly allergic to something, even a tiny amount can cause you to react. 

Have we talked about nightshades/inflammation with fibromyalgia?  It doesn't matter if you tested allergic to them or not.  There is something in nightshades that cause severe inflammation in the body.  One of these days I'm going to take the time to study this.  Have you tried removing ALL nightshades for several weeks to see if your fibro pain gets better?  I have had good success with ladies at church doing this.  Several have been pain free for months after removing them from their diets.  Just something to consider.

patti

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
Thanks ladies for all the ideas!  It has been slow starting. Mom had us over for breakfast in the AM and I reminded her that no dairy for Audrey and she said “I know I didn’t put cheese in her eggs.” Then later on she mentioned that she fried the eggs in butter. Sigh. I feel like we keep taking steps backwards and it will take forever for her to be completely dairy free. I knew it wouldn’t be easy, but she is being a good sport. She even ate her pizza last night without cheese per her request (I wasn’t going to make pizza cos I felt bad for her.) I will do as much as I can to help her for now. The sooner the better right? We all already drink rice drink in cereal. Really don’t have any real milk to drink. BUT dairy- ice cream, cheese, whip cream, baked goods with dairy, cheesy meals (her favorite meal is baked mac and cheese).  I am going to look into digestive enzymes for the trip. Don’t know about lactase but it sounds like an enzyme also? That is interesting about Alka Seltzer Gold- nice trick to have on hand- how old of a child can take that? I have the book- haven’t got to that part yet.  4MH!! I CAN’T EVEN IMAGINE WITH 5! I didn’t want to do this with one! Well that’s encouragement enough! What homeopathic stuff is out there for this? Thank you Thank you beppyjo! I might be pming you (bugging) more soon! This weekend is going to be rough- it’s my son’s bday Saturday and he wants cheesecake for his first party (friends) and ice cream cake for his 2nd party (family).  And Matzaroni and cheese for lunch. PHEW I have tried those coconut milk ice creams-DELISH but expensive- I need to learn to make! Patti- yes I believe the other kids do have allergies as well as well as myself. My baby had reaction to something to night and her cheeks were red, raw and on fire and she was super fussy! Don’t know what though and it wasn’t the first time.  I have made the plunge (sort of) we will do what we can in Germany- she will have a blast anyways-6 cousins to play with!  Thanks again ladies! I’ll probably be back!  KN