Author Topic: Infant Formula: Safe & Healthy Alternatives to Breastmilk  (Read 69019 times)

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
Re: Infant Formula: Safe & Healthy Alternatives to Breastmilk
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »
I've read this entire thread and have a couple of questions...  we are hoping to adopt an infant soon, and I am trying to research what our options are for healthy formula.  I have looked into adoptive breastfeeding, and hope that I may be able to do that, but will need to supplement with formula at least to start with.  I also don't want to do anything too 'radical', since with adoption comes a lot of watching social workers, etc, and I don't want there to be any problems/questions regarding our feeding choices.  I already feel like the idea of adoptive breastfeeding is pretty 'out there' to most people. 
So I'm wondering if there is a regular formula that anyone can recommend.  What is the best option in the world of prepared formulas? 
Thanks!

I would recommend checking out the products at the link below. I used their formulas (Baby's Only) for my first kiddo. I have a friend who adopted and used their formula also. It worked for her because her adoption was international and she bought this ahead of time to take with her. HTH.

naturesone.com

Offline hicchik

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

and then there are people who never get good at pumping!  ::) i worked 12-hr shifts when my 1st 2 kids were babies.  (i know, not ideal but i worked for an ambulance company and that was the only option)  but anyway, i was almost never able to get a real good letdown.  i would pump every day i was off just to get enough milk for 1-2 days that i worked each week.  and ds could not take any kind of formula till he was almost 1.  he would vomit it back up--we never did figure out why.  i had better success when i got a medela pump, but still had a hard time getting a letdown.  i am so glad i am able to stay home now and don't have to mess with it.  it was always worse at work because i couldn't relax.  if you are stressed, i think there's a good chance that probably is making it harder for you.    and know what? formula isn't ideal but lots of babies do fine on it.  if you need to do that once in awhile to get some sleep, it's okay to be a human mom that needs her rest!  don't feel guilty for that.  you will get back to normal when your hubby gets home.  just my 2 cents.
That was excellent advice, and I finally found a formula that didn't mess up his guts.  (Even goat's milk did.)  I finally tried Nestle natural cultures, and he spits up less than he does w/ breastfeeding! ???  I give him one bottle right before bed, and hey, its working...thanks for your two cents! 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:18:40 AM by healthybratt »

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2008, 07:14:55 AM »
hicchick--I was just told about the Nestle formula with probiotics in it.   The lady from Nestle told me that they had been using this formula for years in other countries and are only allowed now to sell it in the US!  What is the name of that formula as my babies do not tolerate formula as well and breastfeeding was successful in some of them.  justjane

We got the Nestle formula in a diaper bag when we left the hospital.  We used it when I could no longer nurse due to a tongue/sucking issue.  Here is where I got mine...

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=167890&catid=26967

Although, it's cheaper at Wal-Mart than on the site.  I had to order cuz we live in a small town and the closest town with a Wal-Mart is an hour away.  It was easier (and cheaper than driving) to have it come to my door.  (It usually took a week to arrive - so I had to plan ahead.)

We recently took her off of it and went with Enfamil as it's a little cheaper and she was VERY constipated on the Nestle.  And I didn't really notice a difference as far as the probiotics - she still spit up just as much.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline hicchik

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »
hicchick--I was just told about the Nestle formula with probiotics in it.   The lady from Nestle told me that they had been using this formula for years in other countries and are only allowed now to sell it in the US!  What is the name of that formula as my babies do not tolerate formula as well and breastfeeding was successful in some of them.  justjane
The stuff I got is called "Nestle Good Start Supreme Natural Cultures". 
I haven't had any constipation issues, which is saying something for my ds.  Also, as I stated earlier, this is the first thing I've got down him that didn't tear up his stomach.  He even spits up baby food sometimes, homemade, or organic store bought.  So its nice to finally have found something that he is able to keep down w/o gas issues!  ;) HTH

Offline Kelly the Kitchen Kop

• Adept
    • Kelly the Kitchen Kop
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2008, 09:41:26 AM »
Scroll down at this site for more on this topic:  http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html

cecac

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2008, 09:58:08 AM »
Scroll down at this site for more on this topic:  http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html

I am assuming this is the recipe from Nourishing Traditions.  I used this recipe by 2 weeks old with my last little one.  I then gradually, over the next 4 weeks, weaned her onto this formula recipe.

I had to alter it a little because I am thinking there was too much added fat for my baby.  She suffered from diarrhea.  When I cut the coconut oil (it didn't mix well, anyway and we would get clumps in the bottle) and cut down on olive and sunflower oils, she went back to normal.

Just for information, I highly recommend this formula.  I honestly know no difference in this child, and I admit that sometimes I think her nourishment was a bit superior to my breastfed babies.  She is very sturdy and has grown very well like my others.  No immunity issues have been noticed by me.  She has had a skin allergy, though, but seems to be growing out of it.

Cara

Offline DarlingSweetHeart

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2008, 10:37:43 AM »
I am currently using the NT Raw Milk Formula.
I am seeing the baby thrive, skin rash is clearing up, he is spitting up less than before and he is not waking up in the early morning hours kicking anymore.  He is sleeping well through the night.
My husband and I know it does cost more for this formula about $14 a week, but it is also prevention against other things in the future (i think).
I get the lactose (now brand) at the health food store in town at $2+.  If I get a large order, they will give me an additional 10% if I buy over $ 100 of merchandise, I get an additional 10% off.  If I know I will need some items and they can provide them to me for cheaper and at a discount and then some...I do order in bulk.

Just for grins, I will look at the meat base formula and do some calculations.

Good luck ladies!!

cecac

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
Being as I'm about 8 weeks from this to start up again, I would like some opinions about cow milk versus goat milk.

I noticed this recipe on this thread:

I've tweaked my formula recipe a little as time goes on.
Now it is as follows:

2 1/4 Cup Lactose
1 Tablespoon Bernard Jensen Gelatin
12 Scoops Meyenberg powdered goat milk
6 Tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
3 Tablespoons  "       "      olive oil
1 Tablespoon Garden of Life Olde World Icelandic Cod Liver Oil (lemon mint flavor)
 10 Drops Liquimins

Place lactose and gelatin in about 2 cups water and heat on stove until lactose dissolves.
Put all other ingredients in blender or container and add lactose mixture. Blend in blender or with hand blender in a container until all ingredients are completely mixed.
Add enough water to make six quarts.

I fill up 3 2-quart containers. I keep one out and freeze the other 2, pulling them out about 5-6 hours before I need them. At this volume, I make formula about every six days.

Hope this may be of use.

Heidi

I wonder, does it make any difference?  Because I've read or heard a couple of times now that goat milk is actually closer to human milk than cow's milk.

In Nourishing Tradition, Sally Fallon says that goat's milk, "must be used with cautionin infant feeding as it lacks folic acid and is low in vitamin B12, both of which are essential to the growth and development of the infant."

Lol, her fix for the low B12 is, "2 teasponns organic raw chicken liver, frozen for 14 days, finely grated"   :)  not going there, nope not going there.  Nutritional yeast provides the folic acid.

??? ???

See, honestly, this recipe that Heidi posted intrigues me.  Lol, it's way easier, I've got to admit.  And we did have a couple of issues with dd#9 on raw cow's milk formula,  but they are being rectified and it's no biggie.

I dunno, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you,
Cara

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »
Cara,

I also considered the recipe you mentioned.  It seemed pretty simple and not too expensive.  I also was NOT going to do the NT recipe. :P :-X

DH and I decided to put our dd on raw goat's milk and she is doing fine.  I don't know about the folic acid and B12...I have heard that also.  I do add blackstrap molasses once a day to "keep things moving".  I do 2/3 goat's milk, 1/3 water.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

cecac

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »
Cara,

I also considered the recipe you mentioned.  It seemed pretty simple and not too expensive.  I also was NOT going to do the NT recipe. :P :-X

DH and I decided to put our dd on raw goat's milk and she is doing fine.  I don't know about the folic acid and B12...I have heard that also.  I do add blackstrap molasses once a day to "keep things moving".  I do 2/3 goat's milk, 1/3 water.

When did you start feeding baby this mix?  Because, another thing I'm wondering is if I could do the same as you with my raw cow's milk and not do all the other stuff, or most of it. :P  I would likely use the lactose, gelatin, and infant probiotic, but I sure would like to leave the rest alone.

I don't know if I could get raw goat milk, but again, I am wondering if it would be better to do the same thing with raw cow's milk as opposed to using powdered goat milk. ???

Thank you!!
Cara

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
Cara,

When did you start feeding baby this mix?  Because, another thing I'm wondering is if I could do the same as you with my raw cow's milk and not do all the other stuff, or most of it. :P  I would likely use the lactose, gelatin, and infant probiotic, but I sure would like to leave the rest alone.

I don't know if I could get raw goat milk, but again, I am wondering if it would be better to do the same thing with raw cow's milk as opposed to using powdered goat milk. ???

Thank you!!
Cara

I started her on goat's milk at 2 months.  She has a very short tongue and has a hard time sucking...making nursing VERY difficult and VERY painful.

I don't know about the raw cow's milk.  But my mom tells me that she gave me cow's milk when I was just a couple of weeks old...I'm still here.  (But I am on WTM a lot ;) :D)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2008, 05:17:12 PM »
Here's a link to FAQ's on the WAPF homemade formulas. It also has a "breast milk and homemade formula nutrient comparison chart". I just thought it may be a helpful link to add to this thread.

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/formula-faqs.html

BTW, there are b12 quick dissolve tablets that I would think you could crush and add to the goat milk formula. There is no such thing as a synthetic b12 so you don't have to worry about that.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Jekuthiel

• Jekuthiel's Dairy & Handmade Gifts
  • Learning
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2008, 06:23:05 PM »
In Nourishing Tradition, Sally Fallon says that goat's milk, "must be used with cautionin infant feeding as it lacks folic acid and is low in vitamin B12, both of which are essential to the growth and development of the infant."

When I was searching for info on Goat's Milk & Infants for someone I found several websites that were good!  I have put links to them on the Dairy page of my website:
http://jekuthiel.com/dairy
They are in the left navigation column.

Hope they are of some help for you!!
Jessica ;-)
Jessica Howard ;-) Shelton, WA (NW of Olympia, WA)
Jek-ooth-ee'-ale means: God will support -- Luke 12:29-31 <><
Jekuthiel's Dairy & Handmade Gifts http://Jekuthiel.com --come visit!!!
Check out my Hyena cart for Wool Shorties & more! http://hyenacart.com/JekuthielsGifts

cecac

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2008, 05:41:40 AM »
Ladies, ((((((hugs)))))))) thank you!!

The only thing I can't quite get out of my mind is that, likely, it will be better to stick with raw cow's milk as opposed to going powder goats milk due to enzyme count, and that precious raw cream.  The farmer from whom we buy grazes his lovely cows on green grass.  The cream is spendiforous!!

As I have time, I will read all of this, thank you!!  :-* 

ndmomof5--So, you are a cow's milk baby?  How have your teeth been all of these years, as far as cavities and alignment?  I'm just curious. 

I was raised on can milk/water. :P  But hey, I'm on my 10th birth here, and I'm fairly healthy.  My jaw/teeth alignment was terrible, but not that many cavities and problems like that. I don't have any caps or anything, my dentist gets sick of seeing my 42 yo mouth, with hardly any dental stuff in it. :D   And adrenal stess/mineral deficiencies have plagued me pretty much all my life, but I'm thankful for so much in the way of better nutrition now.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »

ndmomof5--So, you are a cow's milk baby?  How have your teeth been all of these years, as far as cavities and alignment?  I'm just curious. 

My teeth have been really pretty good.  I've had very few cavities and I had my 12 yr molars pulled in jr. high so alignment really hasn't been a problem.

• Adept
    • Kelly the Kitchen Kop
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2008, 01:23:59 AM »
I've heard more recently about powdered goats milk.  I know typical powdered milk is unhealthy (http://www.kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/02/healthy-milk.html), but does anyone know if powdered goats milk has the same oxidized cholesterol?
Thanks,
Kelly

cecac

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »
Just thought I'd put in that I have ordered my NT recipe formula ingredients from Radiant Life.

I alter the recipe in NT, and right now with an infant I will only leave out the coconut oil.  It clogs my bottles when I heat them and my #9 little one had a hard time with so many fats in there.  She had diarrhea.  When I altered her formula by leaving out the coconut, she seemed to clear up very well.

I am sorry, I don't know anything about the goat's milk, Kelly, but I do notice that Jessica (Jekutheil) put some links up and since she has a picture of a goat there, I bet she may know.

Blessings,
Cara

• Adept
    • Kelly the Kitchen Kop
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2008, 09:04:27 AM »
The other bad thing about Horizen is that their milk is ULTRA-pasteurized - read more here:  http://www.kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/02/healthy-milk.html

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2008, 07:13:49 AM »
My baby is on  formula and I am wanting to add some things to make her more healthy and boost her immune system.  So far I am adding bovine colostrum, and Reuteri probiotic powder. The probiotic powder has helped her so she no longer has constipation.  I would like to give her some fish oil also, does anyone know a good dose for an almost 11 lb 7 week old baby? I dont want to give her something that makes her throw up, we are having some issues with that already.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2008, 12:46:17 PM »
bump!

Offline levi

• Learning
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2009, 01:02:06 PM »
I made NT baby cow's milk formula W/ #5.  He loved it and did excellent on it.  His poop even looked like a breast fed baby.  My other 4 were constipated etc. on store formula....  When he went off formula and onto healthy foods, raw milk etc.  it seems he is allergic to everything.  Dairy (even goat), gluten, corn.  Diarrhea and vomiting.  He is off them all now.  Number 6 comes along and I start him on the same raw cow's milk formula.  He has lots of pain after eating, crying, wiggling, vomitting, then gets a bad rash all over his face.  Bumpy red, raised swollen, scaly.  I took him off of the cows milk and put him on store bought goats milk and still had to eliminate the whey and the lactose from the recipe (not so close to the original any more.  Also not adding the liver,) but then he stopped being in pain.  He has still spit up after feedings, but doesn't scream etc.  But now after about 6  weeks his rash on face is coming back.  hard red scaly.  Not as bad as before but it is getting worse.  Do you think he is allergic to the goats milk too.  What else should I do?  Where would you buy such large quantities of organic liver?  And those still have the whey and lactose in the recipe.  Lisa

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:22 AM »
Levi, sorry  about the trouble you’ve had with the rashes.  You might find this helpful.

For reasons beyond my control, I had to begin formula feeding my ds around 4.5 months.  I will not go into how frustrating this was/is for me after having successfully breastfed in the past. 

I turned to Nourishing Traditions for the recipe and purchased the exact ingredients called for in the book. 

One place I varied from the recipe was in the olive oil.  Having spent a pretty penny on all the ingredients, I thought I would just use w@l-mart olive oil instead of the recommended type to avoid the additional expense. 

At around 5.5 - 6 months he began getting rashes.  They were not a regular diaper rash, they were outside the diapering area and at times got very red and irritated.

About a month ago, I read the thread about olive oil being tainted with other oils, possibly nut oils (which could potentially be quite allergenic for an infant), so I just eliminated the olive oil altogether on a hunch that there might be a problem with it.

Sure enough, it has been several weeks and he no longer has that rash.   

I am almost positive that it was the olive oil that was causing the rash, as before, he did not go two or three days before he had a major flare-up.   

I have not tried any new olive oils but have listed one that might be a possibility in the olive oil thread.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who has trouble with this recipe giving negative reactions.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:07:51 AM by Gigi »

Offline purple petunia

• Learning
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2009, 03:52:57 PM »
Just curious... anyone that used the goat milk powder for your baby formula, did the baby ever smell "goat-y'???  :) Just wanted to know before I buy!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »
My baby has been on powdered goats milk for two months and smells sweet as can be :) She has softer skin than when I was nursing her.  Maybe it's higher in fat then my milk was ???

Just curious... anyone that used the goat milk powder for your baby formula, did the baby ever smell "goat-y'???  :) Just wanted to know before I buy!
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline purple petunia

• Learning
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2009, 03:49:08 AM »
I just put my 4 mo. old DS on raw goats milk. I read this entire thread and one of the websites stated that altho goats milk is high in fat, it should be used with caution in infant feeding because it is low in folic acid and vitamin B12 which are essential to growth an development. So can someone tell me what I can add so he gets everything his body needs.Is there a pill form of both of these i could crush and add and what amounts??? DS was born with a severe heart defect so was too weak to breast feed. I pumped for him until last week when I stopped because my supply had become so low and I dont have the time it takes to dedicate to building it back up with the demands of my other children and all the doctor visits etc.
But I'm so concerned that he'll be getting next best! Weight gain is one of his biggest issues right now. He's only around 9 pounds @ 4 mo.
I used the powdered goat milk for about a week until I was able to get raw goats milk and hes been having constipation ever since :-[
Thanks in advance for ANY ideas!!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2009, 06:28:58 AM »
I just put my 4 mo. old DS on raw goats milk. I read this entire thread and one of the websites stated that altho goats milk is high in fat, it should be used with caution in infant feeding because it is low in folic acid and vitamin B12 which are essential to growth an development. So can someone tell me what I can add so he gets everything his body needs.Is there a pill form of both of these i could crush and add and what amounts??? DS was born with a severe heart defect so was too weak to breast feed. I pumped for him until last week when I stopped because my supply had become so low and I dont have the time it takes to dedicate to building it back up with the demands of my other children and all the doctor visits etc.
But I'm so concerned that he'll be getting next best! Weight gain is one of his biggest issues right now. He's only around 9 pounds @ 4 mo.
I used the powdered goat milk for about a week until I was able to get raw goats milk and hes been having constipation ever since :-[
Thanks in advance for ANY ideas!!

You could try 2/3 goat milk, 1/3 water to help with constipation.

My 1 yo has been on goat's milk since she was 2 months old.  I didn't add anything to it and she is one of my healthiest babies.  As far as weight gain, she's almost 30 lbs...only a couple of pounds less than my 3 yo! :o

Offline mandmmommy

• Learning
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
#3 ds was in the 50% until about 4 months and started decling until 9 month check up.  Dr was concerned.  I eliminated dairy from my diet continued to breast feed and supplement with soy formula.  First week he gained 13 oz, second week gained 5 oz.  Then it all stopped.  He lost and then gained.  He isn't liking the soy.  He has been tested for allergies 2x before and both came back negative.  Last week she said try whole milk.  Diarrhea is starting.  Is there anything else to give him beside the soy?  I still am breast feeding, but it isn't enough.  No sources for raw milk.  Other son and husband milk allergic too.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »
#3 ds was in the 50% until about 4 months and started decling until 9 month check up.  Dr was concerned.  I eliminated dairy from my diet continued to breast feed and supplement with soy formula.  First week he gained 13 oz, second week gained 5 oz.  Then it all stopped.  He lost and then gained.  He isn't liking the soy.  He has been tested for allergies 2x before and both came back negative.  Last week she said try whole milk.  Diarrhea is starting.  Is there anything else to give him beside the soy?  I still am breast feeding, but it isn't enough.  No sources for raw milk.  Other son and husband milk allergic too.

You do not want to do soy with your DS!  It will become a major allergy very quickly (I found out the hard way with all three of my kids).  I would recommend you use goats milk (raw preferable, powdered if you can't get it raw).  They sell a goats milk formula.  Unless you had the ELISA 96 food panel allergy test do NOT trust any allergy test that was done.  We had several allergy tests done on my DS over 5-6yr period and they all showed he was fine.  We did the ELISA test and he was a mess!  It was no wonder he was so sick.  Your doctor can order/run that test and mail it to US Bio-Tek labs in Seattle, WA. 

You must eliminate all dairy if he is showing signs of gut difficulties with it.  Always assume if any parent has a dairy allergy that your children to do.  It is almost always passed down to the children.  Rare not to be.  So I would cut dairy for a month and see if he started to gain.  Make sure you're getting lots of good fats.  If that doesn't work then I would eliminate gluten next.  But honestly, spend the $169 to get the ELISA test done.  It will make figuring out what's wrong with him go MUCH faster and much less damage will be done from prolonging removing whatever he is allergic to. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

cecac

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
I would suggest goat milk formula, also, as something to try.  I have seen the powder goat milk on the market and I think there is a formula or two with goat milk on this thread.

There is a baby acidophilus out there that may help:
www.radiantlifecatalog.com

Do you own a juicer?  It may help to put a little watered down fruit/veggie juice in the diet, freshly extracted daily, also.  Carrot/apple/celery is a basic.

I hope that helps, and I pray that you will find a suitable solution soon for your child.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:13:36 PM by cecac »

Offline mandmmommy

• Learning
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2009, 03:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I am going to see the doc on Thursday and see what she suggests.  The ent my other son sees has a certain lab that he likes(trusts) also.  I do have some powdered goats milk I may try.