Author Topic: Preparing Pumpkins  (Read 19496 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Preparing Pumpkins
« on: October 04, 2006, 01:07:34 PM »
Its pumpkin season!  Any suggestions for preparing pumpkins to eat?  I got some from my MIL who grows them, and they were a pian to clean out.  I thought there might be a more efficient way to do it.

Pumpkin recipes would be great, too.  You could put them in the "Fall Recipes" thread, so we don't get them in two places.  Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Preparing Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 01:33:37 PM »
Great question.  I was just wondering the other day, how pumpkins got from patch to can. ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »
I'm just getting ready to make a pumpkin pie that has no sugar -- I'll post it in fall recipes.  Anyway, I had to look up how to deal with my pumpkin, and this is what I used:

Want your pumpkin to do double duty? Instead of carving a face in your Halloween pumpkin, use nontoxic paint or marker pens to create a unique face. After Halloween has passed, pierce small pumpkins several times with a sharp knife to prevent explosions and bake whole on a tray in an oven at 325°F until they pierce easily. Length of baking time depends on the size of the pumpkin. Halve larger pumpkins and bake on cookie sheets, cut side down.

When cool, quarter pumpkins and peel off the outer skin. It should come off easily like the skin from a baked potato. If not, bake a little longer. Scoop out the seeds and stringy membrane. Keep the seeds for roasting.

Mash or puree the pumpkin pulp and freeze in amounts needed for your favorite pumpkin recipes.

Roasted pumpkin seeds make a terrific high energy snack. To roast: wash off strings and blot seeds dry. Toss with a small amount of vegetable oil, spread in a single layer on a shallow baking sheet and bake at 250°F for 10 minutes to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt, if desired, cool and store.

They tell more stuff about pumkin prep, also.

http://missourifamilies.org/FEATURES/nutritionarticles/harvesttohealth/pumpkin.htm
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 02:04:35 PM »
We freeze lots of pumpkin to use in pies, desserts, or pumpkin chili (MIL's recipe, if someone is interested I could get it from her). 

I cut the pumpkin in half, then slice the half in slices about an inch thick.  It is then easy to peel the skin and stringy stuff off each slice.  Cut the slices into inch chunks into a large pot.  Cover with water and cook until soft (I think about 20 minutes).  Drain water and pack into pint freezer containers. 

I think pumpkins are one of the easy garden vegetables to work up but I tend to neglect working them up timely because they keep so good in the basement and I forget about them.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 02:09:48 PM »
We freeze lots of pumpkin to use in pies, desserts, or pumpkin chili (MIL's recipe, if someone is interested I could get it from her). 

Hi Christal,

I think your MIL's recipe sounds really interesting.  I'd love to get it!
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:20:17 PM »
Hi Christal,

I think your MIL's recipe sounds really interesting.  I'd love to get it!

I will try to get the recipe tomorrow.

Something I forgot to mention that when I half the pumpkin, I cut around the stems at both ends, not through them.  I used to try  :-\ until I watched my SIL work one up with ease by just cutting slices out after cutting the top stem out (like for a jack-o-lantern).
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

YoopreMama

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 01:51:03 PM »
Bumping for pumpkin season!   :D

We're gluten free--any recipes for like pumpkin pie filling but more like a pudding?   ???

I get some great burritos from my co-op...made w/ potatoes and pumpkin and black beans...any ideas for a recipe?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »
Yooper- Standard pumpkin pie filling, pour into pie plate or baking pan, set in hot water bath & bake. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
Yooper- Standard pumpkin pie filling, pour into pie plate or baking pan, set in hot water bath & bake. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
Never heard of that--THANK you! 

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 03:25:08 PM »
Here's a different taste for using fresh pumpkins.  I set the whole pumpkin on a baking sheet, pierce the skin a half dozen times, and bake at 350* until it's mushy-soft.  Now I clean out the pulp & seeds and mash the meat.  If it's too watery, I put it in a pot and reduce the moisture until it's the consistency I want. 
Now it's ready to freeze or use.  It has a slightly different taste and is easier to cook and clean this way, imo. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 08:20:43 PM »
Never heard of that--THANK you!

Your welcome. Some people do it to cut calories. (no crust= less calories) I do it because I have to make a separate pumpkin pie for my kids (dairy allergies) & none of them care for the crust anyway so less work for me & then it's easy to tell apart from the reg pie. It's a basic baked custard method. I hope my shorthand directions weren't TOO shortened. Blessings ~herbalmom 

YoopreMama

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 08:38:58 AM »
I cut the pumpkin in half, then slice the half in slices about an inch thick.  It is then easy to peel the skin and stringy stuff off each slice.  Cut the slices into inch chunks into a large pot.  Cover with water and cook until soft (I think about 20 minutes).  Drain water and pack into pint freezer containers. 
Christal--Thanks so much--that was very helpful.   I did as you suggested w/ 2 small pumpkins..it went very quickly, even w/ a dull knife.  :D

Herbalmom--I made a pie filling w/ NT recipe (did massive subbing..sweetened condensed milk for creme fraiche, brown sugar for Rapadura, no cloves, less nutmeg.  So glad to have frozen lemon peel from the MC!) and it smells/tastes so good!  I'm attaching a pix to see if the water bath thing is right...my roaster was the only pan big enough!

350 for ?? minutes...better look it up!   ;D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »
Herbalmom--I made a pie filling w/ NT recipe (did massive subbing..sweetened condensed milk for creme fraiche, brown sugar for Rapadura, no cloves, less nutmeg.  So glad to have frozen lemon peel from the MC!) and it smells/tastes so good!  I'm attaching a pix to see if the water bath thing is right...my roaster was the only pan big enough!

350 for ?? minutes...better look it up!   ;D

Yep, that's a water bath. You want the water to be very hot/steaming to start- otherwise it will take forever to heat up. The idea is that that water gentles & evens out the heat from the oven so the custard doesn't overcook around the edges (crust does the same thing in a pie) but the water has to hot at the beginning just like a oven is so the custard will start setting up.

BTW- a custard can also be cooked in a casserole dish or other baking pan- you just need a deeper water bath- the water needs to come up 1/2 way up the sides of the custard or a little higher. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »
Thanks, HM!  It looks/smells fabulous!  Took 45 minutes...the little dish was deep, and took a little longer.  Can't wait to try!   ;D
It is SOOOOOOOOOOO good!  The lemon peel made it particularly yummy (will have to chop finer next time, though).  I'm saving that recipe...everyone else liked it, too.   ;D  And it was GLUTEN FREE!! 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:45:16 AM by Yooper »

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 12:10:02 PM »
Its pumpkin season!  Any suggestions for preparing pumpkins to eat?  I got some from my MIL who grows them, and they were a pian to clean out.  I thought there might be a more efficient way to do it.

Pumpkin recipes would be great, too.  You could put them in the "Fall Recipes" thread, so we don't get them in two places.  Thanks!

I just put up my fall decorations and now I have pumpkins. I'm going to cook them. Then....I use the pumpkins in the quantities of the store bought canned  pumpkins???? Do I freeze the cooked pumpkin, can it??? I have never used fresh pumpkin. I just couldn't throw the pumpkins away.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 09:48:13 AM »
bump

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
I cut them in half ,de seed it,then bake till soft.Scoop out all the yummys and freeze and use like canned pumpkin.

Enjoy!

Em

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 09:53:49 AM »
thanks

Offline stebs7

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 10:17:38 AM »
When you bake them you turn them cut side down - and prick the outside of the shell.  They don't cook well with the cut side up, so it is important - that way the juices come out  so it should be in a deep dish baking pan, etc.

Then I put them in the food processor to puree them and then freeze them in correct portions for pies (for me 4 cups to a container).

Blessings, Nancy in Poland (I made 3 pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving from our own pumpkins and they turned out great - smaller pumpkins are better for pies)

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 12:19:18 PM »
We cut ours in large chunks (after removing the stringy stuff and seeds) and put them in our veggie steamer.  It took about 30 minutes to get them nice and done, then I just easily peel off the skin and mash the pumpkin with a hand mixer.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 04:10:37 PM »
Can I use the pumpkin for bread as well as pie? Do you just put it through a processor and make sure you get rid of the strings? I'm excited.

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 04:14:09 PM »
Can I use the pumpkin for bread as well as pie? Do you just put it through a processor and make sure you get rid of the strings? I'm excited.

Yes, once it's steamed or baked and mashed up it's ready to go.  If you take the stringy stuff out before cooking there shouldn't be anything to remove after processing it.  I freeze this in two-cup containers for later use as well.

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 04:54:07 PM »
Am I correct that just your "everyday, buy in the store for carving" pumpkins are really too watery for baking with?  Such as for pie and bread.

Nickole

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 05:16:50 PM »
Am I correct that just your "everyday, buy in the store for carving" pumpkins are really too watery for baking with?  Such as for pie and bread.

We use them for pie just fine.  Just don't as as much liquid ingredients.  Someone here mentioned that after you bake the pumpkins you can sit the pulp in a colander for a while to drain it of water so it's not as thin.  That really does work.  We puree it.  Then you can put the pulp in a colander with a tea towel sitting it in and let it sit there for some time.  Then freeze.     

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 05:41:44 PM »

We use them for pie just fine.  Just don't as as much liquid ingredients.  Someone here mentioned that after you bake the pumpkins you can sit the pulp in a colander for a while to drain it of water so it's not as thin.  That really does work.  We puree it.  Then you can put the pulp in a colander with a tea towel sitting it in and let it sit there for some time.  Then freeze.     

Thanks, Nickole.  I stilll have my autumn decor on the front porch and have been needing to bring the pumpkins in and do soomething with them.  I was planning on just taking out the seeds and roasting them, but composting the flesh.  Maybe, I will go ahead and strain out the flesh, after I cook it, and then use it to bake with.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 05:46:53 PM by crystal »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 05:09:12 AM »
Pumpkin Recipes have been split and moved here.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,25560.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 5xmomma

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 08:11:28 AM »
Uses for pumkin juice. I baked two small pumpkins and took out the pulp and squeezed into a cheesecloth and I have about 4 or so cups of juice from the pumpkin. Can I use this for anything. It seems like such a waste. jjol. UUUUUU

U
May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine upon you and give you peace.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 07:03:46 PM »
Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out the stingy stuff to throw out.

Save the seeds for baking later on.

Put each pumpkin half on a cookie sheet or whatever.

Inside each half put butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and whatever else sounds good. IMO lots of butter is good.

Bake at 350 for however long you need to. I just kind of check it after about 30 minutes. But it takes about 60 minutes or so give or take. The pumpkin size makes it vary.

Then after it is done and cools down enough to tolerate it you can take a spoon or fork and start digging in. We even ate some of the outside of the pumpkin skin cause it can get soft enough.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 03:28:20 AM »
I'm gearing up to bake pumpkins today! My local WM has ALL their pumpkins marked down to $.25--I'm going to have a LOT of pumpkin for a buck!! (BTW, I cut them in half, scoop out seeds, place cut-side down on a well-oiled jelly roll pan, and pour about 2 cups of water onto the pan, too. Helps to steam the pumpkin. Bake at 350 for whatever length of time it takes for the pumpkin to get soft when I poke at it ;D)

I scoop out the soft meat and put into a large bowl, and then run my hand mixer thru it. That breaks up the strings and makes the pumpkin nice 'n smooth. Ready for the freezer!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:25:55 AM by Mama Sita »
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141