Author Topic: Coffee?  (Read 56231 times)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Coffee?
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
I heard on the news last night that a cup of coffee a day, reduces your risk of oral cancer.

I don't drink coffee, but I thought you "junkies" might want to know. I fact, maybe I should take up drinking coffee.  ;)

Ok, here's a link for more info, and a quote from the article...
Raise high the coffee bean! Good news, coffee-drinkers: a new study shows your beverage of choice may lower your chances of getting oral, esophageal and pharyngeal (back-of-the-throat) cancer.

Japanese researchers report in the American Journal of Epidemiology this week that people they studied who drank a cup or more of Joe daily had about a 50 percent less chance than non-imbibers of developing these cancers.  The scientists based their findings on 13 years of data of some 38,000 people ages 40 to 64 with no history of cancer.

According to the study, coffee drinking lowered the odds of these types of cancer even in people with high-risk behaviors (read: smoking and boozing).

"Caffeine has been suggested to suppress the progression of tumor cells," senior study author Toru Naganuma, an epidemiological researcher at Japan's Tohoku University, told ScientificAmerican.com in an email. He noted that other studies have also linked moderate coffee drinking to reduced risk of liver cancer.

"The evidence is pretty strong" in this research, says Ann Gillenwater, a professor of head and neck surgery at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, who was not involved in this study.

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=a-perk-for-coffee-lovers-java-may-l-2009-01-07

WR
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:21:03 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2009, 04:19:04 PM »
So has anyone switched to organic coffee and noticed a health difference?

I don't drink much coffee at all, but can say that even the organic available at WalMart does not have that bitter/chemical edge to it that most coffee does. When my adrenals can handle it you bet I'll take up drinking coffee once in awhile- with real cream too! Yum.

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »

I don't drink much coffee at all, but can say that even the organic available at WalMart does not have that bitter/chemical edge to it that most coffee does. When my adrenals can handle it you bet I'll take up drinking coffee once in awhile- with real cream too! Yum.

I've never liked coffee (except those sugary Starbuck's lattes!! :D).  Hubby drinks it though.  Just last week he started switching to organic coffee and I drank some and actually liked it!  I agree, it didn't have that bitter taste to it.  I even drank it black.  I have to drink decaf though, caffeine makes sore lumps in my bre@sts.  :'(

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »

I have noticed a big difference when I drink organic vs nonorganic.  With the non organic I would have severe intestinal problems.  I couldn't be far from a bathroom because without warning I may have major diarrhea.  >:(  But with the organic, that is not a problem at all.  At first I thought it may be the cream, so I tried using regular coffee with organic cream, but still had the problems.  Then I tried the organic coffee with regular cream and no problems.  So it definitely is the coffee.
hth
mauimom

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »
Proud junkie here!  Thanks for the info, WR.

Regarding the digestive trouble, I know that non-organic coffee is very heavily treated with pesticides so maybe your body is saying "bye bye toxic stuff."  Some folks are more sensitive than others!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2009, 03:17:46 PM »
Dh is hesitant to try coffee because it usually causes him gastric distress as well. Organic coffee doesn't seem to.  ;D Interesting that someone else has noticed the same difference.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2009, 12:50:42 PM »
This is gonna sound weird, its_me518 but when I gave up coffee and switched to green tea, I gained 20lbs!  Seriously!!  I don't get it?  :-\
:o Um.... forget what I said then!  ;) 

You know, I noticed that when I drank coffee, it would actually SUPRESS my appetite, and I could go with out food with lots of energy (caffeine, I know  ::) ) but thats what I noticed. I have heard/read a lot of things about how good coffee is for us (in moderation, and NOT that sugary stuff from the expresso stands  ::) ).... but I thought I would just share what I heard about the coffee making you gain weight.... for whatever its worth.  ::)

Not much, apparently  ::)  ;)
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
This is gonna sound weird, its_me518 but when I gave up coffee and switched to green tea, I gained 20lbs!  Seriously!!  I don't get it?  :-\

Um..........
Seriously, go back to coffee!!!!!!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2009, 10:36:29 AM »
I believe I have found a connection!!  ;D Its a relieve, and a dissapointment. I have been wonderig for a while why I get SO irritated. Like the smallest thing ticks me off! I was thinking about this for a while. And I realized that when I drink coffee, oh, I am MAD. But when I do NOT drink coffee, I am joyful & peaceful & happy! I'm glad to figure this out, because I HATE being mad. But I'm a little sad, because I LOVE coffee.  :) Anyone else have that?? Or anyone know why that would happen?? Its totally weird, but I noticed this a lot of times already!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »
 caffeine can cause your blood sugar to drop.  Maybe that is what is going on.  When my blood sugar is low or I get hungry I get very irritable.  I can drink decaffe, just not much without problems. 

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »
caffeine can cause your blood sugar to drop.  Maybe that is what is going on.  When my blood sugar is low or I get hungry I get very irritable.  I can drink decaffe, just not much without problems. 

Hhhmmm... good thinking. I do think I have "blood sugar" problems, just not quite sure what they are yet. But I did not notice the same effect from Decaf coffee... I will have to test that out! Thanks!

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »

Hhhmmm... good thinking. I do think I have "blood sugar" problems, just not quite sure what they are yet. But I did not notice the same effect from Decaf coffee... I will have to test that out! Thanks!

Here's something that I just thought of. When I do NOT drink coffee, I drink either Green Tea or Yerba Mate (which is some sort of green tea ;) ) which both have caffiene, but I do NOT get the same irritated feeling as I do with coffee....  ???

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
I'm the same way.   ::)  I don't remember if I have read about why the green tea would be different.  Decaffe does have some caffeine also so if I drink a lot of it for a few days it will bother me a little.  I just looked at my green tea package.  It says the tea has 45 mg of caffeine and coffee has 100mg.  I think I've read that green tea can actually help your blood sugar.  I try to stick to herbal teas only.  I just make a pot of herb tea in my coffee pot and drink that during the day instead. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2009, 04:42:42 AM »
Try an experiment.  Blood sugar can drop when fats are not sufficient.  Take a dose of cod liver oil and then have your coffee in the morning.  I know this doesn't sound appetizing, but something I know about coffee is that it stimulates the gallbladder to secret bile.  If you take the cod liver oil right before you drink the coffee, then the gallbladder will start working on that fat which should, theoretically help to stabilize your blood sugar.  The other nice thing about this, is that since the coffee speeds up the effect of the gallbladder, when I do this, I DO NOT have fish burps.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2009, 05:37:24 AM »
This is interesting because I've always heard/thought that caffeine possibly increased blood sugars.

Diabetics that I know have chosen to switch to decaf after they determined that regular coffee was responsible for an increase in blood sugars.

I have not necessarily had that reaction, so I do not adopt a decaf policy, myself.  <whew!>

ETA:  HB's CLO idea is a good one, either way, since the fats will slow any possible rise in sugars and slow any possible decrease in sugars.

Try an experiment.  Blood sugar can drop when fats are not sufficient.  Take a dose of cod liver oil and then have your coffee in the morning.  I know this doesn't sound appetizing, but something I know about coffee is that it stimulates the gallbladder to secret bile.  If you take the cod liver oil right before you drink the coffee, then the gallbladder will start working on that fat which should, theoretically help to stabilize your blood sugar.  The other nice thing about this, is that since the coffee speeds up the effect of the gallbladder, when I do this, I DO NOT have fish burps.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:41:09 AM by Gigi »

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
 8) I was wondering if anyone has a easy recipe for iced coffee that I can brew , than blend in blender? thanks! Redhead. ;D

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
I've been doing cold brew concentrate this way for awhile and love it. I brew two batches off the same grounds, then mix the two. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:49 AM »
Where does it say in Genesis about coffee. I would love to look it up. I always loved coffee . But never again will I get coffee at the gas station nomore on Wednesday nights after church. I wake up with a extreme heartburn. so I just drink my own or have it in a real restarant.  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2012, 02:24:33 AM »
8) I was wondering if anyone has a easy recipe for iced coffee that I can brew , than blend in blender? thanks! Redhead. ;D
http://www.bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2011/07/iced-coffee-sugar-free-and-delicious.html
  My favorite herb book!!