Author Topic: Coffee?  (Read 56242 times)

Offline Sunny

• Adept
Coffee?
« on: March 25, 2006, 03:34:52 AM »
This seems like a most appropriate place to post this question, this being the coffe house and all.  I've just recently started looking into the health risks/benefits of caffeine.  Does anyone have an opinion either way, and if so, can you back it up?  Any info would be appreciated!

Sunny
Audrey(1) was still a little wobbly walking, so she would walk with both arms out and above her head.  Emma(3) saw her and cried "Look!  Audrey is praising the Lord!"

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: Coffee?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 06:49:25 AM »
With milk and sugar?  8)

We'd love to hear what you find from your reading/researching...

My personal mantra towards health maintanence is; "be temperate and natural."

Almost anything can harm you if done in excess. If you are addicted to anything, you are getting too much of it! However, God's creation is full of "treats" that can be enjoyed in moderation, in the proper context, and in the most natural form, with enormous benefits.

For instance, if you are making fresh ground coffee every morning with fluoridated water, I'd say the fluoride is far more harmful than the coffee because IT ISN'T NATURAL.
And if you are making cheap instant coffee every morning with spring water, I'd say the coffee is likely to be harmful, and you might be addicted since it isn't the quality and taste that is appealing to you - but rather the caffeine.
But if you are drinking a cup of green tea every day (very high in caffeine) I'd say, that's great!

I'd love to hear what you find out about caffeine...

This is the way I use coffee:  :P :D :D :D ;D ;)
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Sunny

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 11:17:25 AM »
Okay, I have two tidbits to share with you......

1.  Caffeine is not addictive, rather people have varying sensitivities to it.
2.  Moderate consumption (300 mg per day) is not harmful, but may actually have
     health benefits such as protection against gallstones, Parkinson's disease,
     cavities and type II diabetes.

I am far from done.  Most of this info came from one website.  I don't agree with the first point anyway.  I am not very sensitive to caffeine (I can go to sleep 30 minutes after having a cup of coffee).  However, at one time in my life I was drinking half a pot of coffee every morning and if I ever tried to skip it, I would get a horrendous headache, feel nauseated and "off" all day.  If that's not withdrawl, I don't what is.

Moderation is key, and individual circumstances as you pointed out (the fluoride, instant coffee, etc.).  So far it seems my habit of ground Arabica coffee made without fluoride and only raw organic sugar and milk in it is not harmful and may actually be beneficial.  The one change I plan to make is to start buying organic coffee.  Unbleached coffee filters are important, too.

I'll keep you "posted"  :D  as I find out more.

Sunny
Audrey(1) was still a little wobbly walking, so she would walk with both arms out and above her head.  Emma(3) saw her and cried "Look!  Audrey is praising the Lord!"

Offline dmgauze

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:14:17 PM »
I'd be interested to see what your research finds as well.  I have found that if I regularly eat chocolate, I become depressed and lethargic.  I don't think that's a sensitivity.  If I drink Dr. Pepper regularly, I also become depressed and lethargic over time.  Of course, when I first eat chocolate or drink Dr. Pepper, I'm wired for a while and have a hard time going to sleep in the a.m. hours!  I LOVE both.  I especially love the Cadbury candy-coated chocolate eggs!!  Can you tell I'm having withdrawals?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 07:02:41 AM »
There is much documentation to prove that Green and Black teas are very beneficial to health, body and mind and they both contain caffeine, Black tea has more caffeine that Green, but it's in there.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Sunny

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 10:50:34 AM »
dmguaze,

part of what I read said that one of the down sides to AM caffeine would be a mid-afternoon "slump".   Sort of like what happens with sugar-  you get the initial high, then a super low.  Since both things you mentioned (chocolate and Dr.Pepper) have caffeine AND sugar, you get a double-whammy of the "slump".

Something else I wanted to share with everyone has to do with phosphoric acid.  I don't know if any of you have ever heard caffeine getting a bad rap because of it being bad for your bones, but it turns out not to be true.  Now, to be fair, caffeine does hinder the absorbtion of calcium (so don't wash your supplements down with  java), but the new studies have shown that the phosphoric acid in SOFT DRINKS ( I believe caffeinated or non) actually leeches the calcium out of your bones! :o     More on this as I find out, but I thought that was important enough to go ahead and mention.

Sunny

Offline Sunny

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 04:46:36 PM »
Layla, I totally agree with you that caffeine is addictive.  I have experienced it myself.  The reason I started researching was because I heard that are some benefits to caffeine, not necessarily just from coffee.  Like you said, if it's in moderation, most people don't experience extreme side effects, and there may be some good from it.  I'm still looking for concrete proof!  ;D

Sunny

Offline Bev

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
Hi a friend loaned me a book called sugar blues. It was a great book it talked about how sugar can make you depressed along with alot of other symptoms.  She got it from a co-op I am not sure where else you cna get it. Half.com usually has alot of books that are cheap.  Its an older book.

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 04:20:07 PM »
Hi a friend loaned me a book called sugar blues. It was a great book it talked about how sugar can make you depressed along with alot of other symptoms.  She got it from a co-op I am not sure where else you cna get it. Half.com usually has alot of books that are cheap.  Its an older book.

THis is a good book.  I borrowed a copy from the library!
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »
I prefer the shade grown hand picked sun dried jungle coffee that is also a Christian Mission- I mentioned it here:

CAPULIN Discussion

I roast my own from the green coffee beans I buy from them- you can also get the roasted kind as well.  This coffee is fuller than the fair trade coffees as well.

www.capulin.com

G

PS- my favorite home-roast I call Coffee-Zilla  8)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 06:08:02 PM by gusoceros »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 06:48:12 PM »
All I know is that I react badly to caffeine. I haven't found anything that tastes good enough to merit the side effects. And yes, it IS addictive. That's why there are physical withdrawal symptoms when you try to wean yourself off of it.

Having said that, my husband LOVES the stuff. He makes his brew to take on camping trips. I've never heard the expression "health benefits" in connection to this liquid. He makes it in our drip coffee maker. I used to watch him, but I don't any more. The best I can say is you take whatever a reasonable human being would find adequate and add several more scoops. This mixture is poured HOT into plastic containers to cool. I haven't tested the result, but it should be a very potent, thick, caffeine, plastic soup by this time.

Once we arrive at camp, he pulls out a very old, never washed GIANT coffee pot. I think it used to be a blue-flaked enamel. I no longer look inside the thing. To all of this he sometimes adds leftover egg shells, but this is optional. For all I know, he probably uses the leftover 1/2 eye of newt from the "Thunder From Down Under Chili" recipe!

The brew from the plastic containers (that has sat for a day and has sediment on the bottom) is poured into the coffee pot and heated over the fire. He delights in offering it liberally to anyone that strays into our camp. Everyone raves about his coffee.

Me? The smell of brewing coffee makes me nauseas. This used to happen only when I was expecting, but since our youngest was born, it seems permanent. I've seen sweet little ladies rave over this brew -- even when they saw the pot for themselves! Though it's as thick as syrup (he leaves it on the fire for two days), people will drink the stuff black and ask for more. So far, there have been no casualties.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 07:03:07 PM »
Though it's as thick as syrup (he leaves it on the fire for two days), people will drink the stuff black and ask for more. So far, there have been no casualties.

Is he from the South.  I hear spoons can stand in the coffee down there.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 12:14:13 AM »
A young friend asked me if I thought she wasn't getting pregnant because she drinks so much coffee.  I asked and she said she drinks about 4 cups a day.  Anyone ever heard of coffee being a problem in this area?  I figure she probably isn't having a hard time staying awake at night when her husband is home, so that wouldn't be the problem .......  ;) ;D 8) ;)

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 12:22:14 AM »
When I got pregnant with my daughter I drank tons of coffee...I know it's not healthy, I still managed to have her. Just probably not helping her get pregnant...other than helping her stay awake ;).
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 01:27:21 AM »
SC- it sounds like your husband is on to something with his delicacy coffee.  It sounds like a hair growing tonic recipe I once saw.

G

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 02:03:23 AM »
It is funny, I am not much of a coffee fan, but for the longest time I was totally addicted to the caffeine and maybe more in Diet Coke.

It was crazy, I was getting at least 32 oz per day just to function....then I decided to stop cold turkey, and after the first week, I noticed I felt markedly better....now I have one maybe once a month and I don't really even enjoy it anymore.  Funny how addictions are  :)
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 02:22:33 AM »
Though it's as thick as syrup (he leaves it on the fire for two days), people will drink the stuff black and ask for more. So far, there have been no casualties.

Is he from the South.  I hear spoons can stand in the coffee down there.   ;D

Actually, he is transplanted from NY. However, his daddy grew up here. I've done my best to convert him. Yes, ma'am! ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 02:39:33 AM »
SC- it sounds like your husband is on to something with his delicacy coffee.  It sounds like a hair growing tonic recipe I once saw.

G

I'm not sure, G. He has LOTS of hair on his chin, but it's a little thin on top of his head. Of course he has LOTS of other pleasing man qualities that might be attributed to the brew. However, I still cannot recommend drinking it.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 05:37:28 AM »
and maybe more in Diet Coke.

The aspartame in diet Coke is more addictive than caffeine and has more adverse side effects and withdrawal symptoms.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline o2bhealthy

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 05:39:45 AM »
Have you had toddy coffe??!!! No, it isn't alcoholic! I make it at home, it is excellent, because you "brew" it cold the acid and fat from the bean is not released. it is the smoothest richest coffee I have ever drank or had.

I used to live in Washington state and learned it from there. One can buy a toddy coffee maker and if you know what one looks like I did see one at a thrift store. It is basically a plasitc bucket like thing with a whole in the bottom and a round indentation for the filter. They are $20 new can be more. It is quite easy to do even with out it, just use the concept. I personally do decaff as I can't do the cafeine. The beans need to be coarsely ground, you use a pound. Once that is in the bucket you add about 9 cups of water, cold preferrably and don't stir and mess with it let the coffee grinds float to the top. Then just sit it on the counter or in the fridge for 12-18 hours, pull the plug and drain in the carafe. Now you have a coffee concentrate that is very nice. One can use as little or much as they desire, add water and heat or use to make a cold coffee drink. I personally prefer to make a coffee cooler, I use raw milk and dark chocolate stevia drops.

I was told that those who can't drink coffee can drink this because of the fat and acid not released from the cold brewing, I don't know if this is true. I do know that everyone that I have made it for loves it. The coffee lasts for 2 weeks in the fridge, but that is only if you don't consume it by then, just doesn't happen here. We aren't big coffee drinkers though, it is hit or miss, more in the summer than winter and just when we are in the mood for it. Kombucha tea and other teas also get our attention so there is always competition. teehee

I agree moderation is important and knowing ones own body and what it can and can't handle.

heidi

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 05:50:01 AM »
This cold brewed stuff sounds interesting.  Can you brew it as strong as Espresso?  I'd like to be able to make Espresso without having to buy an espresso maker and without having to double brew my coffee.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 06:19:57 AM »
I read somewhere on some health web site recently that fresh ground coffee had more antioxidents in it that any other food.  Anyone else read this?  And is this a special type of coffee? 
They have in our coffee section at Wal Mart coffee syrup made from pure cane sugar  hazelnut, vanilla, caramel, and Irish cream.  I assume this is better than sugar??  If not, please don't tell me.  I really enjoy them and don't want to know that it's bad for me. ;D
What I don't know won't hurt me right?
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline o2bhealthy

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 10:47:22 AM »
I haven't been back to this thread in a while sorry. In answer to your question, yes one can make espresso. Pick the coffee you want and I would suggest a dark roast and you could also use more coffee and less water. Really you can play with it to make it the way you like it.

I find the coffee tastes so much better than espresso, I don't know if this is because of it being brewed cold and the fact that it doesn't release the fat or acid or that I just like it. ;D

Heidi

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 03:34:41 PM »
SC, that "camp coffee" is rampant in dees'ere parts o'da woods too,but da grounds makes good cereal fer breakfast. :o
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 04:11:13 PM »
SC, that "camp coffee" is rampant in dees'ere parts o'da woods too,but da grounds makes good cereal fer breakfast. :o

You might be using a lighter version of the same. Most people just chew the grounds as they "discover" them. Duke's coffee (and resulting grounds) aren't really meant to be touched with a spoon. I think it would dissolve the metal. LOL! ::) :P

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2006, 06:31:10 PM »

On the serious side for just a minute..... I love my coffee.  And I used to love my diet coke.  As someone already stated there are actual benefits to coffee in moderation.  I think ALL things in moderation is just good to live by.  Not that all things are healthy, mind you.  Anyway, there are two downsides that it's helpful just to have in your arsenal when it comes to caffiene and also diet coke (nutrasweet, artificial sweetners).  Caffiene actually damages the adrenal glands.  It wears them out.  For normal people they may not have to worry about that but I know for me, I am so adrenally insufficient that caffiene was only making it worse.  So, I drink decaf!  How's that for having my cake and eating it too?   ;D  But that's just a good caution to keep in mind.  My research has born out that more then 1 or 2 cups of caffiene a day is what causes the damage long term.

The nutrasweet thing with diet sodas or anything that has nutrasweet in it - it can cause pancreatitis.  I was 13 weeks pregnant and my six pack of diet coke a day cost me 7 days in the hospital, morphine dripped into my veins for a week, a damaged pancreas that gave me gestational diabetes and now a struggle to try and NOT get type 2 diabetes.  And the pain.  Oh!  If you've ever had gallbladder pain - this is ten times worse!  People kept asking me if I drank because apparently alcohol is the #1 reason people get pancreatitis.  I kept telling them "no" but no one would believe me!  They could never figure out why I got it but when hubby and I did our research nutrasweet came up as the #1 culprit.  The doctor never would believe us on that one, but who cares?  They don't believe anything. 

Anyway, just those two cautions.  And don't take my flavored hazelnut creamer from me either!   :D

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 12:52:15 AM »
Patti,

I just had to say that I am so sorry you went through that!  I've seen people with pancreatitis, and it is probably among the top three most painful things a person can have.  I'm glad you're better now.  Good for you and your husband for taking charge of your health!

Sarah

Nickole

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 08:46:07 AM »
I loved my coffee but had to get totally off it b/c it was causing me to have extreme indigestion - reflux.  BAD BAD BAD.  I can't even describe it, but let's just say we called 911 quite a few times until I finally discovered after much researching that it was acid reflux.  I was having about 2 episodes a week, completely debilitating pain, really scary.  I thought I was dying, having a heart attack.  Determined not to be on medicine, I found out that for me the acidity in the coffee was the culprit - couldn't even do decaf.  Every now and then I can handle a Starbucks cappucino but I drink only hot tea now, and have lost the taste for coffee. 

Nickole

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 11:06:27 AM »
I loved my coffee but had to get totally off it b/c it was causing me to have extreme indigestion - reflux.  BAD BAD BAD.  I can't even describe it, but let's just say we called 911 quite a few times until I finally discovered after much researching that it was acid reflux.  I was having about 2 episodes a week, completely debilitating pain, really scary.  I thought I was dying, having a heart attack.  Determined not to be on medicine, I found out that for me the acidity in the coffee was the culprit - couldn't even do decaf.  Every now and then I can handle a Starbucks cappucino but I drink only hot tea now, and have lost the taste for coffee. 

Nickole

Ever considered you might have gallbladder trouble? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 01:36:38 PM »
According to all the research I did, plus the fact that my sister and brother both had reflux too, it was that.  All the symtoms were there - indigestion.  Terrible.  I never have it anymore now that I am off coffee.  Although my sister had her gall bladder taken out last year, was full of stones.  And she said that runs in the family.  Don't scare me now - I thought I was cured!!!!!   ??? :o

Nickole