Author Topic: I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut: What Now?  (Read 129255 times)

Offline hodgy

• Adept
Re: I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut: What Now?
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2007, 05:23:59 AM »
Hey InEverything,  my regime is pretty intense.  Almost like my sole purpose in life is to fight yeast! :D  I have just limited my diet even more due to suspected food allergy issues.  I cut out dairy, and eggs, and most grains.  So what DO I eat you're probably thinking?  Well, I picked up this book, The Ph miracle, and it has a TON of recipes using mainly green/non-starchy veggies and herbs.  I eat a lot of avocados, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, lemons and limes, coconut oil, fresh seeds and nuts.  I try to drink as much Fiji water as I can.(usually 3 ltrs or more a day,that gets expensive)  As far as supplements, I take a multi, oil of oregano, GSE, caprylic acid, uva ursi, homeopathic candida drops, extra biotin, b-complex and of course I rotate lots of different brands of probiotic.  I can't do garlic anymore.  And I continuously use HEEL detox kit.  It is awesome and really helps clear brain fog etc.  Oh yeah! you gotta get the fiber in there too.  I rotate that as well. Psyllium, glucomannon, and inulin.  I feel like I'm leaving a bunch out , but if it comes to me I'll post again! HTH

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2007, 08:06:33 AM »
Hey InEverything,  my regime is pretty intense.  Almost like my sole purpose in life is to fight yeast! :D  I have just limited my diet even more due to suspected food allergy issues.  I cut out dairy, and eggs, and most grains.  So what DO I eat you're probably thinking?  Well, I picked up this book, The Ph miracle, and it has a TON of recipes using mainly green/non-starchy veggies and herbs.  I eat a lot of avocados, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, lemons and limes, coconut oil, fresh seeds and nuts.  I try to drink as much Fiji water as I can.(usually 3 ltrs or more a day,that gets expensive)  As far as supplements, I take a multi, oil of oregano, GSE, caprylic acid, uva ursi, homeopathic candida drops, extra biotin, b-complex and of course I rotate lots of different brands of probiotic.  I can't do garlic anymore.  And I continuously use HEEL detox kit.  It is awesome and really helps clear brain fog etc.  Oh yeah! you gotta get the fiber in there too.  I rotate that as well. Psyllium, glucomannon, and inulin.  I feel like I'm leaving a bunch out , but if it comes to me I'll post again! HTH
I will use this as a reference, thank you.  The HEEL detox kit looks interesting.  I don't know if I have as much willpower as you so I am taking a much more gradual route. This may or may not work???  If I have any hidden food allergies they have hidden themselves pretty well.  Were yours more obvious?
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
Hodgy,  if you rotate probiotics have you ever tried "The Ultimate Probiotic" made by Swanson?   It has 62 billion per capsule at the time of manufactoring.
The price is 14.99 for 30 capsules + shipp.   It looks good to me.  jj

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »
To InEverything, my food allergies were actually not very outward at all.  It took me forever to figure it out. ::)  I only caught on to them when I went on vacactiona and was out of my normal routine(still low carb fresh veggies but no kefir, yogurt or eggs) and noticed I didn't have the annoying post nasal drip and thick mucus action. :D  Therefore I started a rotation diet and noticed big improvement in alot of symptoms I thought were yeast related.

To JJ, I like the sound of that probiotic!  It would be awesome for that price to have that many cultures.  I have to pay about $50 for the "ultimate" probiotics I take.  One has 50 billion and the other is primal defense, can't remember the exact amount in that.  Thanks for the info!

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2007, 05:42:43 PM »
To InEverything, my food allergies were actually not very outward at all.  It took me forever to figure it out. ::)  I only caught on to them when I went on vacactiona and was out of my normal routine(still low carb fresh veggies but no kefir, yogurt or eggs) and noticed I didn't have the annoying post nasal drip and thick mucus action. :D  Therefore I started a rotation diet and noticed big improvement in alot of symptoms I thought were yeast related.

So you have a dairy allergy?  I would really have to get some willpower to try the rotation diet.  I try to do things in moderation anyway (lessening possible allergies), I would like to believe that a lot of candida symptoms would go away if I consisitently kept my diet varied enough.  Have you heard of the Weigh Down Diet?  It has such a wonderful biblical perspective and does mention that moderation can cut down on allergies. Since following it (about six years) I have kept off about ten pounds and had very little weight gain in pregnancy (w/ the last two babies over eight pounds).  However, Weigh Down doesn't address health issues like candida and the problems that go with it.  
Are you able to eat problem foods occasionally?
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2007, 07:27:40 PM »
If you are trying to rid your body of candida, is it ok to eat rice, potatoes, corn and carrots?
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline J.Smith

• Learning
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2007, 08:30:45 AM »
When I was reading the yeast infection thread, I came across this, and it really got my attention.
I Have had an off/on yeast infection for like a month. I have used monostat 3 times this month. It helps while I'm using it and with in 3 days my symptoms are back. VERY FUSTRATING!!! >:(
The kicker about the leaky gut thing is I also have Fibromyalgia... I was diagnosed in April 2004. So now I'm wondering what I should do. I've been in a flare up for just over a month, so if I have Leaky Gut... 
How do I kill the parasites, than kill the fungi, than repair with acidopholis... I take acidopholis everyday along with a ton of other supplements.
I'm confused and excited at the same time because I may be able to finally get rid of the FM!!!! Please tell me what you think I should do. Thank you!!!!

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »
Ok, so after reading through here and a couple other things, how long do those of you who have done it, suggest being on a candida diet? For instance, I want to cut all carbs, sugars and starches out for a set period of time while taking TT and YA. So how long would you suggest?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2007, 05:35:23 AM »
Ok, so after reading through here and a couple other things, how long do those of you who have done it, suggest being on a candida diet? For instance, I want to cut all carbs, sugars and starches out for a set period of time while taking TT and YA. So how long would you suggest?
I would go virtually carb free for about two weeks at the very least and up to four if you can manage it.  I went 2 solid weeks at under 30 carbs per day and then I incorporated wheat toast and whole grain hot cereals in week 3. Then I began to eat carbs as I desired them, but found the desire was lower and some things didn't even taste good to me anymore.  I continued the YA & TT for 10 months.  I stopped after 4 but symptoms returned so I continued another 6 months and things were good.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2008, 01:53:30 PM »
I would go virtually carb free for about two weeks at the very least and up to four if you can manage it.  I went 2 solid weeks at under 30 carbs per day and then I incorporated wheat toast and whole grain hot cereals in week 3. Then I began to eat carbs as I desired them, but found the desire was lower and some things didn't even taste good to me anymore.  I continued the YA & TT for 10 months.  I stopped after 4 but symptoms returned so I continued another 6 months and things were good.

OH wow! Ok, I though I would have to go a lot longer than that, so that is not as bad as I thought! Do you think starting carb free before I am able to get the YA and TT is a good idea? Or would it not be very beneficial?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2008, 07:01:32 AM »

OH wow! Ok, I though I would have to go a lot longer than that, so that is not as bad as I thought! Do you think starting carb free before I am able to get the YA and TT is a good idea? Or would it not be very beneficial?
If you're up to it, then going carb free would be good for you even without the supplements.  It would give you a head start and the YA will come in and "sweep up" so to speak.  The TT will be to ensure that the little beasties don't come back.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »

If you're up to it, then going carb free would be good for you even without the supplements.  It would give you a head start and the YA will come in and "sweep up" so to speak.  The TT will be to ensure that the little beasties don't come back.  ;D

Ok, thank you! That is what I was thinking. I just needed some more wisdom on the subject.  ::) ;D

Offline Happy-N-England

• Learning
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2008, 04:03:01 AM »
My dd and I have a problem with yeast.  We have been cleaning for 2 weeks.  Our diet is very restricted.  We eat:
meat,
low carb veg,
1 green apple a day,
1 TBS honey,
and she gets about 1/2 c brown rice a day

We had been eating about 1/2 c homemade yogurt a day but we were still getting the bloating and abdominal pain that we associate with gluten and casein, so I took that out.  The problem is, we are still having the pain.

???Do I put the yogurt back into our diet and wait for the pain to stop?  Am I not giving the cleanse enough time?

Another problem I have is with bowl movements ( :Peww, I know).  I have normally been a once a week person and I had just gotten myself to once a day but since we started our cleanse I am not going at all.  I had to do an enema and I am still not going on my own.  I read in another post that you had a similar problem HB.  Do I just wait it out?  Keep doing the enemas?  I have looked at the constipated page and I am drinking salt water but that is not helping either.

Thank you all for all the wonderful information you have made available.
Happy

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2008, 06:00:59 AM »
I only did an enema for my liver when I was on the master cleanse.  Never did it while cleansing for yeast.  The salt water drinking only makes me feel worse--don't like it either.  If you're in need of a laxative, epsom salt will clean you out better and faster than sea salt IMO.

My guess is that you are experiencing some dieoff and if you're not going to the bathroom, this would obviously cause some abdominal upset.  I don't know if you're taking any supplements, but if it were me, I think I would be taking YA or Garlic and skipping on the apple and the honey.  Drinking plenty of water (lots and lots of water) and getting plenty of rest to help get me through it.  To help with the ongoing constipation, you might try some ground flax seed daily.  This will not hinder your yeast cleansing and it's got great fiber and tastes good sprinkled on foods as a condiment (even peanut butter).  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Happy-N-England

• Learning
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2008, 02:48:59 AM »
I am still having problems.  I started out the new year doing the diet from Doug Kaufmann's Fungus Link.  He doesn't restrict carbs, that I could see.  That wasn't working, so I started counting my carbs too and I am still having problems.  The only time I am going #2 is when I do an enema, drink epsom salt, or fast and only have watter and chicken broth.  Am I missing something?  I have done the Fungus Link before and had great results... I just never did it for a long period of time.  My goals this time were to really heal my self of food intolerences. I have to eat GFCF. 

This is what my diet has looked like for the past 2 weeks

3 eggs                                1.8g
1/4C sourcrout                       .5g
1 1/2C Spinach                       .6g
1/2C goat yogurt                   8.6g
1/2C berries                          5.0g
1C lentils                                 .7g
Chicken
caned salmon
4-6 lt of watter
Ground flax seed
Cod Liver oil pills
Aloe Vera 25MG

Total Carbs                           16.6g

Am I doing anything that would cause constipation?

Thank you for any help
HIE

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
I am still having problems.  I started out the new year doing the diet from Doug Kaufmann's Fungus Link.  He doesn't restrict carbs, that I could see.  That wasn't working, so I started counting my carbs too and I am still having problems.  The only time I am going #2 is when I do an enema, drink epsom salt, or fast and only have watter and chicken broth.  Am I missing something?  I have done the Fungus Link before and had great results... I just never did it for a long period of time.  My goals this time were to really heal my self of food intolerences. I have to eat GFCF. 

This is what my diet has looked like for the past 2 weeks

3 eggs                                1.8g
1/4C sourcrout                       .5g
1 1/2C Spinach                       .6g
1/2C goat yogurt                   8.6g
1/2C berries                          5.0g
1C lentils                                 .7g
Chicken
caned salmon
4-6 lt of watter
Ground flax seed
Cod Liver oil pills
Aloe Vera 25MG

Total Carbs                           16.6g

Am I doing anything that would cause constipation?

Thank you for any help
HIE

Were you constipated before you started?

I tend to get constipated when I eat too many dark green veggies because of the high amounts of Iron in them.

I don't see anything else in your diet that would cause it.

It might be die-off but it seems like this would have been finished long before now.

My other thought is parasites.  Have you taken/eaten anything to rid the body of other parasites besides yeast?  In abundance, these can definitely cause digestive upset.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Happy-N-England

• Learning
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2008, 01:50:48 PM »
We eat figs and raw pumpkin seeds but I went over and looked at the parasite thread and we will be adding more foods to our diet for that, while attempting to keep things moving and keeping our carb counts low.  I will be trying to limit my veg that is high in iron for a while too, see if that will help.

Thank you for the advice

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2008, 06:46:16 AM »
There's a 2-part podcast that just came out this month related to this topic. 

backtobasicspodcast.com

It's the 2 on the GI Tract
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »
OK...after several days of reading about yeasts on here, I'm wondering if this is part of all our allergies.  We are all going on the very low carb starting Monday.  Connor, my hyperactive, always hungry, sugar craving son failed the spit test yesterday morning..although he quite enjoyed spitting in a cup...lol.  Anyway, I have a question about the probiotic.  We don't live in a large city so there isn't too much available here.  In the past we have used Lactinex for diarrhea, upset tummies, etc.  You can get it at the pharmacy.  It contains lactobaccillus.  Is this strong enough for a probiotic?  I noticed that a large HEB near here, but a little farther than our regular grocery store, also carries a refrigerated probiotic and I think it had more than one type in it.  Would the one with more types of bacteria be better?  I can get most anything in the NOW brand.  Does anyone know if NOW has an antiviral/antifungal? 

Thanks and wish us luck...

Jammie 
Mrs. P

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »
OK...after several days of reading about yeasts on here, I'm wondering if this is part of all our allergies.  We are all going on the very low carb starting Monday.  Connor, my hyperactive, always hungry, sugar craving son failed the spit test yesterday morning..although he quite enjoyed spitting in a cup...lol.  Anyway, I have a question about the probiotic.  We don't live in a large city so there isn't too much available here.  In the past we have used Lactinex for diarrhea, upset tummies, etc.  You can get it at the pharmacy.  It contains lactobaccillus.  Is this strong enough for a probiotic?  I noticed that a large HEB near here, but a little farther than our regular grocery store, also carries a refrigerated probiotic and I think it had more than one type in it.  Would the one with more types of bacteria be better?  I can get most anything in the NOW brand.  Does anyone know if NOW has an antiviral/antifungal? 

Jammie 

IMO, the more strains the better.  You can make kombucha, a lacto-fermented tea, very inexpensively at home.  There are many threads on this site about how to get started making your own. 

NOW has a website where they sell most of their products for about half price. 

http://www.thecatalog.com/

Gr8dohpilus is one of their probiotics, and it has a good range of bacteria.  They also sell Pau D'Arco caps and anti-candida formulas.  In my experience, nothing works better than garlic and Pau D'Arco tea.  You can buy Pau D'Arco from

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/
or
www.mountainroseherbs.com

I hear you about not being in a big city, although I wouldn't trade.  If I were you, I'd go ahead with your plan to start on Monday and use some garlic, and order your herbs and probiotics so they'll be there soon.  Do your anitfungal and probiotics at different times of the day so they don't cancel each other out, i.e. garlic or Pau D'Arco in the morning, probiotics before bed.  HTH!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »
Candida Clear & Gr8dophilus are both very good products from NOW.

Acidophilus is the most effective against candida alone, but the more strains in a given probiotic the better off you are.  Gr8dophilus has 8 (I think) and NOW has several other varieties of probiotics with 3 or more strains available.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2008, 03:51:36 PM »
Picture (GROSS) of Gastro-Intestinal Candidiasis

http://george-eby-research.com/gif/candida-gut.jpg
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Cherished

• Learning
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »
OK...after several days of reading about yeasts on here, I'm wondering if this is part of all our allergies....

Jammie 

This is my first time posting, but I've been reading through these threads for over a year now(mainly I don't have much time to spend at it.) But....

I have a success story with allergies & yeast! This past October I cut out all refined sugar just for health's sake. (Other than that I think I eat pretty well !) The next week I had a low fever all week, no other symptoms. The week after that I broke out in hives in many places (especially my elbows & kknees) I was taking YA, TTup & garlic, because I had suspected yeast with different itchy places. The week after that, my allergies, which so far only consisted of a drippy nose off and on started getting much worse...I had never even considereed myself as someone with allergies. I suspected the wool projects I was working on, my dusty house, mold growth in the utility rm, etc. So I cleaned all that up as well as I could, but I was still feeling miserable! I had a constant drippy/stuffy/itchy nose, itchy, sore throat that never went away, histimine reactions off & on for no apparent reason. Then I started looking at food allergies, although nothing's ever bothered me before. I did some research online to see if by any chance allergies and yeast overgrowth could be related. There I found my answer! Two weeks before Christmas I did a 2 week yeast cleanse diet (along with my supplements). That helped some right away. I was very dilligent through the holidays and had NO SUGAR which was a first for me. My treat was bread and dried fruit in moderation.

By the new year I realized my symptoms were less & less. Finally came a week that my throat felt normal and and I hadn't had a reaction all week. Oh, and through all this, I was getting a vaginal infection every month right before my period. The 2nd week in January I did a 5-day colon cleanse, fasting using apple juice to drink my herb packet in 4 times a day. By the end of the week I had another BAD infection. After the cleanse I cut way back on fruit and bread for a few days, and continued supplements throughout. My allergies have completely gone, but I still have itchy places that I'd like to see go. And I'd like to go a month without an infection too.

Here it is the end of Feb. I have been off sugar for 4 months (YAY!) I use honey only about once a week for some homemade, raw cream ice cream. I'm trying to use less bread & experiment with unleavened bread (I bake all our own whole wheat bread). Bread and fruit are my weaknesses, but I'm making improvements. Also, I've decided I can't afford months and months of supplements, so I've kept Supermom & Cod Liver Oil (my kids are brainwashed into loving it! You just have to start them young.) And I'm gulping down a clove of garlic after each meal (except for when I'm going out). My kids think I stink, but hubby is taking it too, so we don't mind each other. I eat homemade raw yoghurt almost every day, but I think I probably could use TTup still. I'm planning to make some beet kvass tomorrow, but have no idea how much of that I can drink. (I absolutly LOVE Nourishing Traditions.)

Thank you all for the time spent in posting your ideas and experiences. It really has helped and continues to help me put the pieces of my puzzle together. 

P.S. I think my die-off continued at different levels for weeks!
C

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2008, 07:10:44 PM »
Thanks for posting your experiences.  I hope you get it all figured out very soon.  It feels great to feel great.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bpryor

• Learning
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2008, 05:33:26 AM »
I am in the middle of a Candida Cleanse diet.  I'm nursing, so have been taking it a little slower.  I went 5 days without sugar, carbs, or dairy of any kind.  I experienced die-off, and now I'm starting to add in low glycemic index foods such as avacados and I tried a grapefruit.  That was yesterday, and last night I saw signs of my yeast infection coming back. 

So my question is this:  If you have already experienced die-off, and your symptoms start to reappear, do you need to do the cleanse again?  Or can you just cut out the aggravating foods?
Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2008, 05:51:59 AM »
I am in the middle of a Candida Cleanse diet.  I'm nursing, so have been taking it a little slower.  I went 5 days without sugar, carbs, or dairy of any kind.  I experienced die-off, and now I'm starting to add in low glycemic index foods such as avacados and I tried a grapefruit.  That was yesterday, and last night I saw signs of my yeast infection coming back. 

So my question is this:  If you have already experienced die-off, and your symptoms start to reappear, do you need to do the cleanse again?  Or can you just cut out the aggravating foods?
Thanks!
If you believe you have candida issues and/or leaky gut, 5 days is not nearly long enough to fix the problem.  This is a condition that usually takes months to develop from immune system breakdown.  Fixing it will take as long or longer to fix.  If the only thing you've done to fix the problem is to reduce carbs, then you're probably not doing enough.  You need to consider antifungals of some kind.  Probiotics are a MUST to keep the yeast from coming back in force.  Generally a diet/lifestyle change over time will be in order to keep things running smoothly.

For more information, check the very first post in this thread.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2008, 05:42:08 AM »
My  DH has a skin problem/rash that he can't seem to get rid of. I think it is yeast related. So he is going to do the candida diet. I am trying to figure this all out, but sooo much info! My plan at this point is: Follow the makers diet Phase 1 and 2(except not adding in the fruit in phase 2) and YA(2 AM and 2 PM) and TTU(I don't know how many? suggestions??) Does this sound like the right thing? And how long should I do this for? THANKS!!!! And when might he see results(like the rash clearing up?)?
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »
My  DH has a skin problem/rash that he can't seem to get rid of. I think it is yeast related. So he is going to do the candida diet. I am trying to figure this all out, but sooo much info! My plan at this point is: Follow the makers diet Phase 1 and 2(except not adding in the fruit in phase 2) and YA(2 AM and 2 PM) and TTU(I don't know how many? suggestions??) Does this sound like the right thing? And how long should I do this for? THANKS!!!! And when might he see results(like the rash clearing up?)?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2698.msg24644.html#msg24644
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2008, 05:58:37 AM »
I have seen several people say "until the yeast is gone or cured..." How will I know when it is gone? My DH is mainly doing this to get rid of a rash he has had for 4 or 5 years. But I am sure there are other things that will be helped. Is there a good book that summarizes EXACTLY what you can eat? And when to start adding stuff in...? I know there is alot of great info on WTM, but I was hoping for a very simplified, step by step.... I have read through all the threads on here.....really!  ::)
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
You'll know he's done when the rash clears up, and he feels a lot better.  This can take as little as 2 weeks or as long as 6 months, it just depends on how bad he has yeast. 

The best book I've read on the subject is 'The Body Ecology Diet' by Donna Gates.  It not only tells you how to kill the yeast, but how to recolonize good bacteria, and how to add back food when you are feeling better.  It has lists of acceptable foods as well.  I'll warn you, there's not a whole lot on the list, but this diet does work.  It helped my family tremendously.