Author Topic: I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut: What Now?  (Read 129168 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut: What Now?
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2008, 06:09:18 AM »
The Yeast Connection Cookbook

I have seen several people say "until the yeast is gone or cured..." How will I know when it is gone? My DH is mainly doing this to get rid of a rash he has had for 4 or 5 years. But I am sure there are other things that will be helped. Is there a good book that summarizes EXACTLY what you can eat? And when to start adding stuff in...? I know there is alot of great info on WTM, but I was hoping for a very simplified, step by step.... I have read through all the threads on here.....really!  ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2008, 07:58:01 AM »
The Yeast Connection Cookbook

I have seen several people say "until the yeast is gone or cured..." How will I know when it is gone? My DH is mainly doing this to get rid of a rash he has had for 4 or 5 years. But I am sure there are other things that will be helped. Is there a good book that summarizes EXACTLY what you can eat? And when to start adding stuff in...? I know there is alot of great info on WTM, but I was hoping for a very simplified, step by step.... I have read through all the threads on here.....really!  ::)
Thank you! I ordered it yesterday! Hopefully that will be the end of my ????'s! On a side note, on day 2 of his candida cleanse my DH had a pretty bad headache and weird crampy feeling in his stomach....so I think we are doing someting right! Thanks for all the help!
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
I wrote an article some time back and never posted it.  It does; however have a few more explanations than my original post, so I edited my original post to include the article as a downloadable PDF if you're interested.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2008, 04:52:23 PM »
I wrote an article some time back and never posted it.  It does; however have a few more explanations than my original post, so I edited my original post to include the article as a downloadable PDF if you're interested.

Thanks for all your hard work HB! 
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »
Thanks HB!! Tons of info.....every little bit helps! Thanks for answering all my questions!
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline Cheryl

• Learning
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2008, 12:11:20 PM »

"There is no other substance in the world like water.  You can never have too much.  There is no toxicity level.  You can drink it all day long...

...No matter what, you can't go wrong with water."
--
As  to this, I'd like to disagree.  Water toxicity is possible.  This last year during a radio contest, a young woman died from an overdose of water.  All of her electrolites were flushed from her system, resulting in death shortly after the contest.  It was a huge hullabaloo, I'll tell you.

BUT, if you add some electrolites to your water, then you should be fine.  Many just add a pinch of unrefined sea salt to do this.  Others add a splash of juice (but this is a natural sugar).  It is said by the medical profession that if your urine is clear, then you are drinking too much water.  Just be safe, everyone and don't let this scare you.  Drink your water, just make sure you have your electrolites, too.

Be healthy, everyone.

Cheryl--A lover of water (I think I'll drink some right now.)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2008, 05:18:10 AM »
Maybe my statement was too general, but I would never encourage anyone to drink so much water that it would be a danger to them.

Water toxicity is a very real condition; however, it's very uncommon and for most people would be nearly impossible to achieve.

Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume more than ten litres over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_poisoning

I apologize for not being more clear in my original post.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2008, 08:20:45 PM »
A few questions...Have any of you done a 3 day VCO fast to cure/heal leaky gut?  How about a 'slippery elm gruel' diet?  Have any of you taken more YA than recommended in a day for faster healing?  If so, with what results or side effects?  Doing some late night research since I can't sleep (due to itchy eczema caused by leaky gut) and found information leading to the first two questions on the net.  I may find out the answers are already here when I'm not so tired   ;)

I wanted to add where I found this:
 http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/intestinal-cleansing/virgin-coconut-oil-detox

http://curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1059574#i
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 04:04:36 PM by T »

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »
A few questions...Have any of you done a 3 day VCO fast to cure/heal leaky gut?  How about a 'slippery elm gruel' diet?  Have any of you taken more YA than recommended in a day for faster healing?  If so, with what results or side effects?  Doing some late night research since I can't sleep (due to itchy eczema caused by leaky gut) and found information leading to the first two questions on the net.  I may find out the answers are already here when I'm not so tired   ;)

http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/intestinal-cleansing/virgin-coconut-oil-detox

bump.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried this as well...

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »

i was thinking a 3rd dose of YA might be helpful.  haven't tried it though.  anyone else?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline created2worship

• Learning
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2008, 06:38:14 AM »

Has anyone tried water fasting to kill off Candida? If so, how long did it take and did the symptoms return once you re-introduced foods?

I'd like to try this to get rid of my candida... I'd rather tough it out through a water fast for a few weeks than have to cook alot of special foods and but expensive supplements! I read this on juicefast.org/candida:

"Longer water fasts are brutal to parasites, increasing the factors that make the body an unfriendly environment for growth and reproduction, such as low blood sugar, increased toxins in the blood and an immune system working at full intensity."

Thoughts? Thanks.

(BTW, I am eating no sugars, or wheat, and only very limited grains like brown rice and oats, and only a tiny bit of dairy (butter, no milk or yougurt), very rarely... and I would continue to eat only these foods after coming off the water fast, maybe reintroducing fruits and cheese after a few weeks. I am also taking garlic (plus eating lots raw) and acidopholous..)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2008, 06:40:38 AM »

"Longer water fasts are brutal to parasites, increasing the factors that make the body an unfriendly environment for growth and reproduction, such as low blood sugar, increased toxins in the blood and an immune system working at full intensity."
This might explain why many believe that fasting brings clarity of mind.  No parasites, no toxins, no psychoactive ingredients, etc...
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »

Has anyone tried water fasting to kill off Candida? If so, how long did it take and did the symptoms return once you re-introduced foods?

I'd like to try this to get rid of my candida... I'd rather tough it out through a water fast for a few weeks than have to cook alot of special foods and but expensive supplements! I read this on juicefast.org/candida:

Thoughts? Thanks.

(BTW, I am eating no sugars, or wheat, and only very limited grains like brown rice and oats, and only a tiny bit of dairy (butter, no milk or yougurt), very rarely... and I would continue to eat only these foods after coming off the water fast, maybe reintroducing fruits and cheese after a few weeks. I am also taking garlic (plus eating lots raw) and acidopholous..)

I felt so good during the first two days of my short 3 day water fast.  You are tempting me to try again............. :)  Let us know if you do it and how it goes!  
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2009, 02:40:47 AM »
Ok, I've decided to just go ahead and finally treat this problem.  I've been reading over the posts but it's so overwhelming....Can anyone tell me how long I need to avoid sugar, fruits, breads, etc?  I'm not sure exactly where to post this, here or the candida threads?

I have tummy tune up and yeast assassin.  So, I know i can do it, if I think I'm doing this right.  Do I avoid this stuff for a few weeks, and then slowly introduce them back?

We are making our own maple syrup this year, so I'm really bummed about giving that up!! :P 

wendy

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2009, 03:47:35 AM »
Can anyone tell me how long I need to avoid sugar, fruits, breads, etc? 

I don't think there is any set time.  Every person's body is different. With the symptoms you are having, you may need to do it longer than most.  :-\
See how you feel.  After two weeks, you may have such a miraculous change, you may NEVER want to eat the old way, again. Follow your body. (not in a corny new-agey sort of way lol) It will tell you what is good.

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2009, 05:43:25 AM »
Can anyone tell me how long I need to avoid sugar, fruits, breads, etc? 

Different sources have different opinions:  some say one month for every year of candida symptoms, some say 8 weeks, some say 40 days, etc.  Personally, unless my candida was life-threatening, I wouldn't even consider doing it for years (I'm pretty sure my candida problem started in 6th grade).  It would be a really hard diet to stay on for a long period of time, and it also seems unhealthy be without healthy foods like fruit, raw honey, cultured dairy, whole grains, etc. for a really long time.  I personally am doing a 40 day plan, but will reassess at the end of 40 days and decide whether I think the candida is gone/under check (Are my candida symptoms gone?  Are my die-off symptoms gone?).  I will say that, so far, my worst symptoms were on Days 17, 18, 23, and 24.  Of course, everyone's body is different, but if I had stopped the diet at 2 or 3 weeks, I obviously wouldn't have gotten rid of the candida.  HTH and see you around in the Daily Log thread!
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2009, 08:56:20 AM »
All right; my brain feels like it's about to explode.  I've been reading through many of these related threads, trying to figure out what I need to do to heal leaky gut.  I don't even know for sure that I have leaky gut, but I have a number of the symptoms, and our second child has lots of food allergies, so I'm going to assume that's because I passed this on to her during pregnancy.

I'm going to attempt to summarize what I think I need to do now, and you all stop me if I'm wrong, or congratulate me if I'm right.

1.  I need to stop eating sugars, including fruits and starchy vegetables.
2.  I need to focus on a mostly low-carb diet, excluding food allergies
3.  I need to incorporate more coconut oil and garlic *
4.  I need to take a good probiotic
5.  I need to take CLO
6.  After all of this, I need to do a liver flush
7.  Then I need to do the Master Cleanse
8.  Followed by another liver flush
9.  After completing that, I need to continue eating a healthy diet, avoiding refined sugar and yeast, and continue taking the probiotic to keep the leaky gut from returning.

Does this sound right?  Are both liver flushes necessary, or can I just do one after the master cleanse?

*I am allergic to walnuts, so I don't want to take Yeast Assassin
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2009, 09:08:45 AM »
It sounds like you have a good starting point but I don't know if the Master Cleanse is neccesary.  Others may disagree and I'd welcome that.  Especially if they have had success with it!  It will be slow going no matter what you do so have patience!

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »
Well, no, I think the master cleanse was something I decided I need to do for my own situation--not that everyone with leaky gut has to.

So, how long do you all think it will take to heal?  How will I know when it is?
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »
Next question:  I'm taking a multi-vitamin/whole food supplement (Nature's Way Alive Whole Food Energizer), and was getting ready to order more.  But I'm starting this candida diet, and the vitamins contain a variety of fruit powders, and mushrooms.  Would either of those cause a problem in trying to get rid of candida?

Offline godsarmyof8

• Learning
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2010, 08:11:19 AM »
I just read of your hubby's condition and was wondering how is he now some time later?
On a quest for my family's wellbeing; spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, and financially. Basically searching for God's Will for His people, finding truths and dispelling one lie at a time.

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
Am I right that fermented foods are BAD for those with Candida/LGS?  Kombucha is fermented.  Does it count?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
Am I right that fermented foods are BAD for those with Candida/LGS?  Kombucha is fermented.  Does it count?
depends on who you talk to.  i believe fermented foods should be eaten in abundance if you have candida.  some bloggers and 'experts' believe that one kind of microbe (lactic acid bacteria) will exacerbate symptoms from another microbe (candida).  based on the research i've done, this is not true.

Candida Albicans vs Other Yeasts: Are All Yeasts Created Equal.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »
Isn't the sugar level in Kombucha tea a problem for treating Candida?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
Isn't the sugar level in Kombucha tea a problem for treating Candida?

if it's made right, there shouldn't be any sugar left.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »

if it's made right, there shouldn't be any sugar left.
[/quote]

I read that too, but (it's been a while back already) I checked on this forum about Kombucha, and I found that some people with diabetes had checked their sugar level before and after taking it. And there was still quite a bit of sugar in there. So that made me unsure about taking kombucha, as long as I'm still fighting candida.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
even 21 day brewed kombucha will take my hubby out of ketosis for the atkins diet.  for what it's worth.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2010, 11:38:19 AM »
My experience with Kombucha is that it is about the same on my sugars as sipping juice.  1/2 cup has the same effect on my blood sugars as OJ.  Terrible, actually. 

I wish I could report something different . . .

It would seem to me that once the candida was under control, some (limited) Kombucha intake would provide some great health benefits.

HTH

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2010, 02:26:09 PM »
I just thought I would let ya'll know about this link here. I had tried anti-candida diet but it wasn't working and I was discouraged with how long it would take ect. Well I found out a program that doesn't take long at all, and really works! I'm going to start it probably next week.

Here is the link. http://snh.cc/community/index.php?topic=259.0