Author Topic: Is my plantain ointment safe?  (Read 4920 times)

Offline wardermom

• Learning
Is my plantain ointment safe?
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:27:05 AM »
I made some plantain ointment the same way you make goot-in the blender with olive oil and coconut oil. I figured I'd try it and see how it turned out. It's good, except that I started to worry about the fact that I gathered the plantain from my backyard, and it was covered with dirt, etc. I washed it and dried it before I made it. Is there any danger of infection or tetnus etc. since it was dirty? I used it on a deep gouge in my son's finger, and then I started to worry about it and had him wash it off and used goot instead. I've used the plantain ointment on my two year old dd's diaper rash.
Anyway, do you think there's any danger in using it for wounds since most of my 7 kids are not "adequately" vaccinated.

Melanie

Offline Clementine

• Adept
Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 06:35:40 AM »
Since you washed and dried it first, it is probably quite safe.   :)
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 06:36:45 AM »

That is my opinion, too

Offline scarlet_prairie

• Adept
  • Who blew down my house?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 08:48:56 AM »
Interesting comments from Brian Johnston.Lightning and Tetanus.

During all of WWII, 12 cases of tetanus were reported by US forces. 33% were vaccinated. [and that was from a population that definately had it's share of dirty punture wounds i'd say]
-Edward Mortimer, "Immunization Against Infectious Diseases," Science, Volume 200, (May 26, 1978), p.905

In order to decrease severe reactions to the vaccine, it has been significantly "diluted," causing it to become clinically ineffective.
-Isaac Golden, PhD., Vaccination? A Review of the Risks and Alternarives, (Geelong, Vicotria, Australia: Arum Healing Centre, 1991), p.31.
-this comment was also made by Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D.

From 1990 through 1995 there have been an average of 49.6 cases of tetanus per year in the United States. Compared to total population, that means approximately 1 in 5,198,200 people contract tetnaus. There is a 20% mortality rate for tetanus if properly treated. That means that approx 1 in 25,000,000 people will die of tetanus in any given year. About 1800 people per year are struck by lightning and there is a 25% morality rate for this event. 1 in 143,240 are struck by lightning and 1 in 573,000 die. This is a lot of numbers BUT:

You are 44 times more likely to die from lightning than from tetanus.
http://nccn.net/~wwithin/tetanus.htm

I thought you might find this interesting about tetanus...  ;) This was the one thing we were worried about and after reading some information on it, we quit worrying about it.
Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thes 5:21

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:28:44 AM »
That is what I do/think! No problems yet.....

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 01:01:33 PM »
a little dirt won't hurt.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wardermom

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:55:27 AM »
I really appreciate your answers, thank you.
How long do you think it will be good made like that? It's in the fridge because the coconut oil has been liquidy otherwise. Will it be 2 weeks like goot?
I love goot by the way, and so do my kids. (I made my first batch last Thursday.) They keep asking for it, and they're not sick. I've been putting it on cuts.
They all learned to spell it yesterday when I explained why it was called that. Even my 4yo dd learned. She even learned how to write it!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 08:42:56 AM »
They all learned to spell it yesterday when I explained why it was called that. Even my 4yo dd learned. She even learned how to write it!
It's "goot" for you.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »
How long do you think it will be good made like that? It's in the fridge because the coconut oil has been liquidy otherwise. Will it be 2 weeks like goot?
I have some in a jar that I have out in my barn. It's probably 2-3 weeks old. I can't remember.... It still seems to be fine. I am using it on one of our goats and figure on keeping it out there till it smells or looks "off". It has a little garlic in it which is quite strong by now, but otherwise it hasn't changed.....

Offline Karen

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 05:47:15 PM »
Okay would someone please tell me what goot is? ??? I googled and did find anything. :-\

Offline scarlet_prairie

• Adept
  • Who blew down my house?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 01:46:36 AM »
Okay would someone please tell me what goot is? ??? I googled and did find anything. :-\

Took me a little bit to find the string... :) But here you go

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2774.0.html
Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thes 5:21

Offline Karen

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 02:00:24 AM »
Thank you scarlet_prairie :)