Author Topic: Grape Leaves  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
Grape Leaves
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:42:42 AM »
Does anyone know if I can pick the leaves off my Concord grape vine and eat them.  I usually buy grape leaves at the store, but I'm wondering if they have to be a certain kind.
Thanks!

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
Re: Grape Leaves
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 03:01:48 PM »
bump :)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 03:34:19 PM »
Does anyone know if I can pick the leaves off my Concord grape vine and eat them.  I usually buy grape leaves at the store, but I'm wondering if they have to be a certain kind.
Thanks!
I have done it numerous times. I don't know what kind they sell in the stores, but I wasn't going to buy them if I could pick them. ;D Never used the store bought ones but the concords didn't taste so different from what I remember from what I ate in Greece! I also use them in a pickle recipe; not eaten just part of the process. The young ones are best even if they are small. Of course you'd want to be careful of leaves that have been sprayed or fed heavily w/commercial fertilizer.

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 03:59:43 PM »
Thanks! :)

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 05:15:54 PM »
I also used leaves off a grape vine once... not sure what kind of grapes they were..but nothing terribly exotic I'm sure!  Funny, I just made grape leaves yesterday!  Oh boy were they yummy!!!!

DH was just asking me last night can the leaves be used to make anything other than 'grape leaves' ... meaning the meat stuffed variety I make.  I told him I didn't really know.  Do you all have any other recipes that you make with them?
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 09:22:53 PM »
This is totally foreign to me.  People eat grape leaves?  I have a grape vine, but I don't know what kind of grapes they are. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:52:35 PM »
Oh yes Healthybrat...and they are yummy.  I buy mine in a jar..but basically they are I guess what you would called 'pickled'?  They are soft and come in a brine. 

The 'stuffing' is meat (generally lamb, but I use ground chuck/beef) and rice (can use brown, but I use white) with allspice, cinnamon, a little melted butter and salt/pepper.  You mix up the meat then put a little on a  leaf and roll it cigar fashion.  Cover them with water and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes...then add a little lemon juice to the water and continue simmering for about 15 minutes til the rice is tender.

I serve mine with plain yogurt, hummus and pita bread.  Sometimes a salad with feta.

Yummy!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 12:55:27 AM »
Oh yes Healthybrat...and they are yummy.  I buy mine in a jar..but basically they are I guess what you would called 'pickled'?  They are soft and come in a brine. 

The 'stuffing' is meat (generally lamb, but I use ground chuck/beef) and rice (can use brown, but I use white) with allspice, cinnamon, a little melted butter and salt/pepper.  You mix up the meat then put a little on a  leaf and roll it cigar fashion.  Cover them with water and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes...then add a little lemon juice to the water and continue simmering for about 15 minutes til the rice is tender.

I serve mine with plain yogurt, hummus and pita bread.  Sometimes a salad with feta.

Yummy!

Wow, I've never heard of eating grape leaves, either. Do your kids eat this? And where in the world did you learn to do this? To think of all the good grape leaves I have let gone to waste!!  :D ;D

Very interested,
Mama Sita
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 02:37:15 AM »
Hiya MamaSita...

Well, I grew up eating them.  My grandparents were from Turkey...they came to the states in 1921.  My dad was their last child, first born in the states in 1923.  All of my kids eat them...although it took my oldest daughter a 'little maturity' to try them for the first time.  She used to eat the inside, but leave the leaf.  Now she gobbles them up like no tomorrow!

I use 1 tsp all spice/pound of meat and 1/2 tsp cinnamon/pound of meat.  Mom always drizzled a little melted butter onto the meat mixture (maybe 2 tbsp), as well.  So, you rinse the rice (1 cup uncooked, of course), put it with the meat (I usually use 1.5 to 2 pounds), spices and butter well.  Then lay out a leaf, cut off the stem, place about a tablespoon or so of meat on the leaf.  I sort of shape the meat into 'hotdog' shape, albeit a very small hot dog  :D, then roll the leaf up like a cigar.  The trickiest part is rolling them tight!  Put them in a pan...I put a thing with holes in the bottom of the pan so the rolls are not directly on the bottom of the pan (I'm not sure what that thing is called), cover the leaves with water, put a lid on then simmer.  20 to 25 minutes into the cooking time add about 1/4 cup lemon juice and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.  Mom also use to sprinkle the top with salt and dot it with butter.  Sometimes I do this, sometimes  I don't.  When they are done, serve with plain yogurt as a 'dip'.  OH they are scrumptious!!

If you try them, let me know!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 03:53:35 AM by KeepItSimple »

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 03:47:52 AM »
This recipe is DEVINE!!!  I always use lamb.  My husband and I had these for the first time at a little Greek restaurant.  I found the recipe in the newspaper, and they taste exactly the same as the restaurant's.

Stuffed Grape Leaves (Dolmathes)
1 to 1 and 1/2 lbs. ground lamb or beef

2Tbsp. parsley

1Tbsp. dill

1Tbsp. peppermint

1 med. onion finely chopped

1tsp. crushed garlic

1/4 cup instant rice

Lemon juice

2 eggs

salt and pepper to taste

Blanch 30-35 grape leaves in boiling water(don't need to do if canned).  Mix lamb or beef with herbs.  Add rice.  Combine mixture and roll into grape leaves, bringing two sides of the leaves together tightly and folding flaps under.  Heat olive oil in a pan on the stove.  Line up dolmathes in pan and cover them with an ovenproof plate.  Over plate pour enough boiling water to cover surface.  On low temperature cook slowly, about one hour.  Romove dolmathes to platter.
       Sauce:  Use juice in pan to make sauce.  Slowly beat two eggs with hand beater, add 1/4 cup cold water and 1/8 to 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice while beating.  Add juice from pan while beating until eggs are cooked.  Pour sauce over the dolmathes.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 05:28:42 AM »
KeepItSimple,

Can I come to your house for lunch.  I'm kinda hungry.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 05:35:07 AM »
KeepItSimple,

Can I come to your house for lunch.  I'm kinda hungry.   ;D

yes..plan on staying for a couple weeks though.  You can teach me what I need to know, and I can show you how to make some killer grape leaves, hummus and pita bread.  That's about the culmination (at this point) of my culinary skills.  So, so sad, but true.

My son, the almost 14 yo, was going through my personal cookbook the other day.  And he said, 'Mom, what is Cammy's Surprise?'.  (It's a recipe for microwaving hot dogs..lol).  I had to explain to him that when his aunt (my older sister) got married, they had a Recipe Shower for her and we were supposed to share a recipe.  That was the only thing I really knew how to cook.  He did some quick math and said 'Weren't you like 17 at the time??' and I had to say, 'Yes, son, I was.'  He said, 'Man, mom, that is so sad!  I hope my wife's mom is teaching her better than Grandma taught you!'.   

So, when can we expect you?  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:40:29 AM by KeepItSimple »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 10:21:21 AM »
Is it warm there?  I'm cold too.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 11:21:50 AM »
Unseasonably warm..I think it is 72 out there right now.  So, which flight will you be on?  :P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 02:10:05 PM »
Unseasonably warm..I think it is 72 out there right now.  So, which flight will you be on?  :P
*sigh*  I don't fly.  I guess it will have to wait.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!