Author Topic: Storing Kefir Grains  (Read 50605 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Storing Kefir Grains
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2007, 06:08:10 AM »
For those of you experienced with kefir milk:

OH MY! My kefir grains have been in the fridge in milk for several months or more(not exactly sure)
A month ago I took them out and put in fresh mikl to make fresh kefir. It smelled really alcoholic and was too thin.  But as I let it sit longer to thicken it got way too sour.

It doesnt smell bad. I wonder if they are still good???
Do I just pour milk in and start culturing again and keep throwing out the kefir milk until it gets to the right consistancy?

Bump - I did the same thing and need the answer.  My grains look fine but they were in the same milk for a month (since my baby was born) and I don't know if they are still okay to use???

Bump - Does anyone have an answer?

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2007, 02:00:25 PM »
I'm not an expert but I wonder if you continue to change the milk every day for a week or so then try to make Kefir again and see what happens.   I think it needs to kind of reactivate after it has sat for a long time.    Maybe there is a more experienced person that has the 'for sure' answer for us?   ???
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2007, 02:08:45 PM »
I made some and it smelled okay but it had a yellow layer on top and was very thick.  I think I will go ahead and use it for baking.  I might make some biscuits with it tonight.  The grains themselves look perfectly normal.  They even made a baby in their month of neglect (alone time, you know).  I am thinking they are okay.

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 08:04:25 AM »
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I took my grains out from the back of the fridge after sitting back there for TEN months and they actually revived and made kefir!!  :o  They didn't look good when I took them out... yellowish.  But I put them in milk and within 36 hours I had some kefir!  Now the grains look all pearly white again too!  Amazing! They sure are resilient little buggers!

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 09:15:06 AM »
I was wondering the same thing!!  My kefir grains have been in there for about a year. I was going to throw them out, but now I may try to reactivate them again.  I guess it's worth a try. :o
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »
Here-n there, THANK YOU! I just received my grains today and won't be able to do anything with them for at least the next 2 weeks. I'm so glad to know that I can put them in milk in the back of the fridge and they'll be okay! thanks again!
KP
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 09:24:23 AM »
That is great news.  Don't know why but some of these things I do in spurts and them leave for awhile.   Now I know I can leave my grains for a long time and still reactivate them later.    Doesn't the milk get really sour????   :P
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 06:16:15 AM »
Doesn't the milk get really sour????   :P

Oh yeah.  The milk that they had sat in for ten months was very nasty.  But the grains themselves were fine after being put in fresh milk (I rinsed them first).  The first three batches were not what I would classify as 'beautiful' kefir, but it WAS kefir!  The last two batches I did were beautiful  :).  My two year old was sitting at the table enjoying a glass of it when she realized she had to go to the bathroom.  On her way to the toilet she says, "Mama, please don't drink my kefir all gone."  So, even SHE loved it  ;D

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 07:33:09 AM »
oh, I'm SO glad this came up on the homepage, because I've been wondering what to do about mine. I'd been making kefir daily and loving it (although not able to drink it straight like the store bought stuff...), but then morning sickness hit, and just the smell sends me over the edge. I've been keeping it in the fridge, but adding milk pretty regularly because I didn't want them to go bad. So I'm glad to know they'll be ok for a little while!

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 07:41:48 AM »
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I took my grains out from the back of the fridge after sitting back there for TEN months and they actually revived and made kefir!!  :o  They didn't look good when I took them out... yellowish.  But I put them in milk and within 36 hours I had some kefir!  Now the grains look all pearly white again too!  Amazing! They sure are resilient little buggers!

YAY!!!  I neglected my poor grains when I was so sick and tired at the beginning of this pregnancy, and have assumed that they were lost for good.  I will get them out and attempt resuscitation. :D
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 12:52:39 PM »
The grains are difficult to ruin.  We had ours stored in the fridge and mistook them for finished kefir and used them in a smoothie.    ::)  We just saved some of the shake and were able to grow them big enough to strain out again. 

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2007, 07:52:43 AM »
The grains are difficult to ruin.  We had ours stored in the fridge and mistook them for finished kefir and used them in a smoothie.    ::)  We just saved some of the shake and were able to grow them big enough to strain out again. 

Wow-that's good to know. Verifies how tough they are. :)

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »
Interesting that two of you couldn't handle kefir while pregnant.  That is exactly why mine were in the fridge, neglected for ten months!  Even after my daughter was born, my mom was here making kefir from some little packets of something, and I just couldn't bring myself to drink it or use it.  Now that things are back to normal, we are back to kefir!

Offline thunderjet1111

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 03:44:02 AM »
I think I messed up my grains.. I ended up freezing them for over a month.. Can they be reactivated? I took them out today and placed them in raw goats milk hoping they will be ok.. Anyway, know?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2008, 04:05:45 PM »
I think I messed up my grains.. I ended up freezing them for over a month.. Can they be reactivated? I took them out today and placed them in raw goats milk hoping they will be ok.. Anyway, know?

I just pulled some out of the freezer that had been in there for probably close to a year and they are making lovely kefir! The first batch was a little funny but now they're doing their thing like they should. :) hth

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »
I just wanted y'all to know how greatly I appreciate this thread today. :)

I finally got around to trying my hand at kefir.  It was reproducing far more rapidly than I could keep up with and I ended up throwing the active batch into the fridge and forgetting about it for a month or so.  It seemed fine when I pulled it back out, and I was looking for how to store 'back-up' grains, as my grain-donor strongly advised.  I KNEW I could count on the WTM family to provide me the best answers.   ;D  THANK-YOU!!!

Now, I need to find the next kefir thread that tells me if what I'm getting is the right smell, taste, etc... ;)
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan