Author Topic: Black Mold: Solutions, Suggestions, Prevention  (Read 8849 times)

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
Black Mold: Solutions, Suggestions, Prevention
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:11:49 AM »
I searched briefly looking for a thread on this topic, and couldn't find anything, but feel free to redirect me if needed.

I live in a 20 year old mobile home, and occasionally deal with black mold. Today I found it growing in the condensation around my bedroom windows. I know that black mold is terrible stuff, but selling our house and moving are not available options at the moment. I'm looking for suggestions to help rid areas of black mold, preventative treatments for perpetually damp areas, and am especially looking for non-toxic solutions.

I scrubbed the windows down with a bleach/water mixture, and I know I can do this from time to time, but my respiratory system is incredibly sensitive to bleach, so that is not a good long term solution for me.  Suggestions anyone? I'll be doing some research as well and will update this thread with whatever good info I find on the subject!

TIA Jamie
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Black Mold: Solutions, Suggestions, Prevention
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:43:28 AM »
Jaime

I think I have seen posts about cleaning mold on this forum, but I can't find them, either.

We bought a 100+ yr old house in a very damp part of the country, so mold was something that we had to address when we moved in.   Our basement was HORRID!
My dh is a professional painter and is knowledgeable about cleaning, killing molds, and 'fixing' the problems.  He finds that anything other than a 10% solution of bleach just will not work.  Wet the area with the mold and leave the bleach solution on to dry.  He and I are both sensitive to bleach, so we wear a respirator when working with it. 
One of the things that I find to be true when cleaning is the same principle that applies to our bodies; that there needs to be a dominant presence of 'good' bacteria in order to prevent overgrowth.   In practice, this means that I use a 5% solution of raw apple cider vinegar as a leave-on rinse or spray when I am cleaning.  This has really helped to keep mold from coming back.
You may want to look at solutions to the condensation problem, too.  It seems to be inevitable in the winters, but if you are planning to sell it is worth the price to shop for storm windows.  You may also want to exhaust some of the air from the home when there is too much moisture accumulating.  For our basement, we have found that we need to run a dehumidifier and ventilate the area regularly.

hth!   ;)
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
OK...so this is totally against two of the things you said you're looking for, but Tilex Mildew Root is AWESOME stuff.  I have used it on mold and mildew on grout (silicone and hard grout), flat cieling paint, and even fabrics, and with a couple of applications and a little scrubbing, it erases all traces of mildew/mold, and we haven't seen it come back.  If the mildew is growing on a hard surface (and not rooted into something like paint/grout/fabric) it's very easy and quick to dampen a sponge and wipe it off with this stuff.  You definitely want ventilation, and have dh do it if you're sensative to it. 

I've never seen a product that works this great, and I've even used pretty much straight bleach on my silicone grout before with no where near these results.  I found it in the grocery store at the recommendation of a couple of other WTR's. ;)

I rate its effectiveness at 5 stars.  But it isn't a healthy/holistic product by any means.  So use with caution, and maybe follow up with a good flora vinegar solution or GSE to prevent regrowth in very damp areas.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
We have an old house, and have not been able to replace the windows yet, so this is also a problem for us.
We found that all molds that are black in color are not THE black mold that is so bad. However, it's still mold and bad in my book.
I dry the worst windows every morning when I open the blinds and use vinegar as a weekly wash during the winter.
We only have this problem in the coolest room of our house...the master bedroom. We heat the boys' room at night plus the sun shines into their room late afternoons. It keeps the humidity down. The rest of the house is cool, but with an vented gas heater it keeps the humidity reasonable, and what condensation is there in the morning behind the blinds soon dries.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »
The PROs use sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate to kill mold.  That's washing powder and baking soda.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
The PROs use sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate to kill mold.  That's washing powder and baking soda.  ;D

Thank you! THAT is something I can work with! I'm quite excited to give it a try!
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 07:59:10 AM »
could a person just sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and let it sit for awhile?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 06:30:35 AM »
could a person just sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and let it sit for awhile?
couldn't hurt.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Melly Lane

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »
Hmm baking soda, that's impressive.

I know it's not the best stuff, but i did hear that Murphy's Oil Soap works great for mold on wood surfaces.

Having a heat pump, a dehumidifier, or an air conditioner are supposed to help.

Wiping down the windows every morning does help.