Author Topic: Acid Reflux: Symptoms & Treatments  (Read 36462 times)

Offline Fallmom

• Learning
Re: Acid Reflux: Symptoms & Treatments
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2007, 01:35:30 PM »
I am hoping to find help for my dear hubby.  For the past week he is complaining about a sour or metal taste in his mouth, off and on sore throat, painful swallowing at times, and indigestion.  I thought maybe he had a stomch virus coming on but now I am worried.  I have browsed other threads on Gerd or ACid reflux but did not find how to get a concrete diagnosis or how to treat naturally.  Based on what I have read, I am suspecting he is suffering from this, but have no clue why it is happening.  We like to treat things naturally whenever possible, without Doctors and all kinds of tests.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »
i have recently helped my son with this.  he would have what he called "acid burps" after eating.  i gave him Zypan with the meal.  it's mostly for protein and fat digestion.  not sure what is bothering your hubby, but it is typically caused by too little stomach acid.  you can read about it in "What your dr. may not tell you about premenopause".  you can get Zypan from some chiropractors, or use another product that contains betain hydrochloride.  it is supposed to help increase the stomach acid.  what happens is it is taking too long to digest the food, because of too little acid, so they start to burp up the undigested food.  hope this helps, it's no fun.  this stuff helped my son immediately. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2007, 05:06:41 AM »
My husband would wake up at night for a few years and take alca seltzer and cough for a long time after. My sister in law is a nurse , when he told her what happened to him she said it was acid reflux and told him when it happends or feels it coming on to take a spoonful of Tahiti (sesame butter)  So he did. That was a year ago and he has not had any problems since.  I tried it once this Thanksgiving because my stomach hurt and it helped me. It settles my stomach for some reason.

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2008, 04:52:05 AM »
I did some searches, and am so bad at it.. please help me if you can. I had symptoms of a bladder infection start on new years day.. Very icky constant urge to go, kinda burned... and oh the pain in my back. So on the 2nd I saw my doctor, and she found blood in my urine. Being as I am 12 weeks pregnant, she didn't want to dilly dally (I guess bladder/kidney infections can be very bad for preggos) she started me on an antibiotic. I took one that evening, one the next morning, no problem. Then last night I took one before bed, and I woke up with what I think is reflux. It's a horrible nagging snag that travels up and down my throat. Sometimes I vomit, but I'm always very uncomfortable. Even at this very moment (about 10am) I just was sick and still feel like something is stuck in my throat.. Is it reflux? Is it because of the antibiotic? What can I do? I am so uncomfortable, and afraid to take another! But I have to... I don't want to fool with an infection in my kidneys. Any advice to make it stop?

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2008, 07:03:33 AM »
I'm not really the best one to answer, because I am struggling with some unexplained GI symptoms myself and not having much success in treating them.  I am not pregnant.  That said, I would say that it does sound like reflux, but I don't know if it is necessarily caused by the antibiotic, especially if you only took one.  Can I ask what antibiotic it is?  The reason I ask is that I recently thought I had a UTI as well (that is what started my issues) and I took the antibiotic and then was left with some GI stuff.  There are several antibiotics that can be used to treat a UTI, though many on this board would say that antibiotics do not necessarily cure a UTI -- and I am inclined to agree.

I would definitely let my doctor know of the symptoms, because that particular antibiotic may not agree with you.  I would also treat the UTI naturally as well with blueberries and cranberries.  It won't interfere with the medicine and will get you over it faster.  You can also get D-mannatose power which really helps with the infection and flushing it out of your system.  I got mine from my naturopath, but I think you could get it at a health food store.  Don't eat any sugar, which will feed the infection and drink tons of water!  And if you do take the antibiotic, be sure to take lots of probiotics so you don't start a yeast problem.

I hope you feel better soon.  UTIs are miserable and especially in early pregnancy!

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2008, 10:23:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice.. I'll have to get my paws on some cran and blueberries. And get this, I called said Dr. today, and it turns out I DON'T HAVE ONE!! I was calling to see if I could switch antibiotics, and they answered "oh, we got your labs back and it turns out you only have trace protien in your urine... so you don't have to take anything.." Huh? I thought they said I had blood in there and they didn't want to mess with it blah blah blah. So all for nothing. So I don't know what the deal is, where the back pain came from, or if all the cranberry juice I drank before I went in cleared enough up. (I drank all the cran juice I had in the house..) Seriously. I'm going to lose my mind. >:(

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2008, 02:04:51 AM »
GERD...... I have a friend who has heart problems and has recently (in the last year) had her gallbladder removed now she is having difficulty swallowing and still has bad nights when she eats too many calories or fats.

Now she is watching what she is eating but now she is having sporadic difficulty with swallowing and cannot figure out a correlations with what she is eating and it happening.

She will be going in for a throat scope to rule out tumors.

Is there a natural way to treat these complications, I looked on this thread but found no much help.

R
Blessed with a great family!
Mom to four and wife to a man I can really look up to! (5'1 vs 6'6).

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2008, 04:02:43 AM »
We had excellent results using chiropractic care to treat acid refulx.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2008, 05:19:36 AM »
GERD...... I have a friend who has heart problems and has recently (in the last year) had her gallbladder removed now she is having difficulty swallowing and still has bad nights when she eats too many calories or fats.

Now she is watching what she is eating but now she is having sporadic difficulty with swallowing and cannot figure out a correlations with what she is eating and it happening.

She will be going in for a throat scope to rule out tumors.

Is there a natural way to treat these complications, I looked on this thread but found no much help.

R
I don't know if this will solve her throat probs, but this thread may help with her reflux(gallbladder) issues.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15683.0.html

Is it possible that her problems swallowing are related to the gag reflex and the inability to digest her foods properly?  If so then the above link may help after all.

If she has this many health issues, then she might also consider the possibility that she has yeast and leaky gut.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:21:24 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline alexsa

• Learning
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2008, 06:03:56 AM »
Do  you mind if i ask who   in your family had the reflux and how old they were when they got the adjustment?  DId you see results right away?  How many times did they go?  Thanks a bunch

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »
Do  you mind if i ask who   in your family had the reflux and how old they were when they got the adjustment?  DId you see results right away?  How many times did they go?  Thanks a bunch

I'm assuming you were referring to my post :) My son was three months the first time I took him. I noticed a big difference right away, not completely gone, but much improved. We still take him randomly for other "issues" also. It's hard for me to say how often he went just for reflux. Maybe 2/3 a week for 2/3 weeks and then just as needed. Like if he had a bad day where he was spitting up a lot and uncomfortable I would call and we would go in that evening. HTH!

Offline lvg4him

• Learning
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2008, 05:45:30 AM »
I am not sure if anyone here is on Zantac or not, but I have heard some bad things about them:

**Causing the body to be dependant on it
**Can cause pernicious anemia
**Can cause the brain to become “foggy”

I cannot however find any evidence of anything bad with Zantac. I want to know exactly what I am giving my son. Any help with findings?

Thanks, Paula

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2008, 08:33:53 AM »
I am not sure if anyone here is on Zantac or not, but I have heard some bad things about them:

**Causing the body to be dependant on it
**Can cause pernicious anemia
**Can cause the brain to become “foggy”

I cannot however find any evidence of anything bad with Zantac. I want to know exactly what I am giving my son. Any help with findings?

Thanks, Paula
Taking too many antacids overtime can cause damage to the lining of the stomach and cause the body to be unable to absorb B-vitamins - most notably B12.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,12568.msg115731.html#msg115731
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2698.msg24644.html#msg24644

I would suggest looking into treating the cause of the reflux rather than the symptoms or over time seemingly small problems could become much larger and more serious in nature.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2008, 02:18:38 PM »
Hello everyone I have a question my son is now 6 months  old and still throwing up after feeding sometimes a lot sometimes a little.  He also has a absorption problem where his intestines are not absorbing everything he is eating.  He is only about 3.5 lbs above his birth wt in 6 months.

I was thinking about doing the tummy tune ups to see if it helped.  Do you think it would be better for me to take them and if so how many, or would it be better to give it right to his if so how much.
Also I thought about the aloe vera juice what to do you think about this, if so how much?

I think the Dr. is going to refer him for the upper gi thing and all and I would like to ad void it.  I do supplement some but he is mostly breastfed.  I have not started him on baby food or cereal yet although I am thinking about it soon because he seems hungry most of the time.

Please advise. 

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »
Are you eating a good diet that's high in healthy fats?  ARe you sure of your milk supply being good?  (There are some teas that can help with milk supply)

How do you know that he's not absorbing what he's eating?  Just curious as to how they determined that. 

I have read about a condition where the baby doesn't break down the fats, and needs enzymes as part of the diet.  I would definitely be concerned with the low weight gain, and look for a Dr. who is willing to look at all the factors and be aggressive at moving forward in a natural way.

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2008, 03:06:06 PM »
I know about his absorption issue because the stool test showed it.  He had a workup of tests done. 

I am also slightly concerned about his low wt. gain but he is such a happy baby overall and I don't think it is a big issue.

My diet could probably be higher in fats I am just not sure what I would eat to help that.

Angie

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »
I have recently read an article about a baby who was born with a special condition where she made no digestive enzymes, and had to be fed fermented foods, and enzymes daily.  That is an extreme case, but if it worked for them, then it may be an option.  I might call the company and speak to a rep with questions about using a tummy tune up type product with an infant.  (Dosing and such)

Is he not digesting the fats?  Or is it just a range of things? 

I found this article very helpful on babies, enzymes, and foods:
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/nourish-baby.html

Also, my chiropractor adjusted my daughter at 4 months, and her spitting up went away almost completely.  She was awful at spitting up most of her meals.  Turns out, she had a twisted vertabrae that was pinching the nerves to her stomach/upper GI track.  That might be a good place to start for your little budy as well.  It's fairly common for babies to get a twisted vertabrae there, as they are 'turned' as they are born.

HTH!
~Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.