Author Topic: Acid Reflux: Symptoms & Treatments  (Read 36451 times)

Offline jbbabyslings

• Adept
Re: Acid Reflux: Symptoms & Treatments
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 05:21:28 PM »
Not sure if this is appropriate or not but my son had terrible reflux and is finally outgrowing it at 4 mo YIPPEE However we have an almost full box of Previcid granules packets. All packets are indivuadually sealed so no way for them to be tampered with. I hate to waste them since they were EXPENISVE. If anyone can use them I'd love to pass them on to them. I just would rather not throw them away and someone get use out of them if they need them. If you want them email me.

Marie
WWW.JellyBeansBabySlings.com Handmade with Care

Now selling Supermom Vitamins & other Beeyoutiful Products. FREE SHIPPING

Offline Rita

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 10:01:56 AM »
It has been quite some time since I have worked for the nutritionist so I can't remember how much he told them to drink of the aloe vera juice.  The kind he sold was a concentrate and you mixed it with water.  I'm sure if you contacted a health food store they should be able to answer your questions about aloe vera juice dosages.

Offline amom3boys

• Learning
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 10:53:09 AM »
 My son is 4 months old and after months of crying and screaming and puking and crying  some more we've finally started treating him for reflux.

Our ped. prescribed Zantac for the pain that the reflux was causing,but Zantac does nothing for the spitting up itself. He wants us to give him Reglan for the spitting up,but because of the horrible side effects,I refuse. (I want to get him off the Zantac too,but need to get the reflux under control first.)

Reglan is used to empty the stomach quicker in order to reduce spit up. I have found that probiotics work as well,and I feel much better about them.

My question is can he have probiotics before every meal? How much can he have?Would the dose be different if you're treating something specific than it would be for normal every day use?(The one I have is BabyLife by Solaray,and from reading I think it's very close to Tummy Tune-up.)
Also,can it be mixed with a little water/breast milk to make it easier to take?(it's a powder)
Any help anyone can give will be so appreciated!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 11:00:23 AM »
My three month old has has tummy troubles also :( I open up a tummytune up and sprinkle it in her mouth. If she's really crying it will choke her a little but it's not as bad as the my tummy hurts cry :) I give it to her several times a day. It takes at least two days to give her the whole pill. If your baby takes more I don't know of any danger.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:25:57 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 05:10:05 PM »
Okay this is going to sound stupid--- but to drink the aloe vera juice?  I've seen it in the big jugs that is the kind you drink and not the kind with litacaine, etc.  What would a dosage look like?  Is it something you can have too much of?

http://www.gnld.com/store/Product.aspx?NAV_CATEGORY_ID=3230&CATEGORY_ID=1137&PRODUCT_ID=10003&ATTR=faq

yes, you drink it.  i don't think it can hurt you, though if you took a lot it might give the runs!  above is a link for a quality brand, that is pretty expensive.  i was told it was much better quality than walmarts, though i think it has stuff in it like ginseng or something too.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 04:55:21 AM »
I read the thread for reflux mostly talking about babies, I was wondering about reflux in adults. I have a friend who has lost 25 pounds recently due to extreme reflux. She's been very sick and has been able to eat due to the reflux. The info I read on it being symptoms of yeast infection were interesting. Is there something I can recommend to her that would help her, obviously the medicines the doctors are perscribing are not helping. Thank you!
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline Laalex2

• Learning
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 05:11:34 AM »
I had extremely horrible reflux after brain surgery over 2 years ago.  I tried all the acid reducing drugs and none of them worked.  I researched on the internet and found that a low carb diet helped so I went off all the drugs and tried the diet.  I felt much better in several weeks but what has really helped my whole gut is a candida diet with grapefruit seed extract to kill the yeast.  I am feeling better than I have in 17 years!  Any kind of drugs, bad diet, etc. completely cause imbalance in the gut which can lead to many illnesses.  I would love to email your friend and encourage her if she would like.  My email is laalex2@aol.com.  I suffered with acid reflux for almost 2 years.

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 05:58:24 AM »
I had extremely horrible reflux after brain surgery over 2 years ago.  I tried all the acid reducing drugs and none of them worked.  I researched on the internet and found that a low carb diet helped so I went off all the drugs and tried the diet.  I felt much better in several weeks but what has really helped my whole gut is a candida diet with grapefruit seed extract to kill the yeast.  I am feeling better than I have in 17 years!  Any kind of drugs, bad diet, etc. completely cause imbalance in the gut which can lead to many illnesses.  I would love to email your friend and encourage her if she would like.  My email is laalex2@aol.com.  I suffered with acid reflux for almost 2 years.
I appreciate you help...my friend unfortanetly does not have internet, but I am interested in your formula of the Grapeseed Extract. How did you take it? And What can I tell her about it? Thank you again for your help, I will be seeing her tomorrow, Maybe I can pick something up for her to start using!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 06:12:43 AM »
Does your friend have a physical problem with her esophogus not closing all the way?  That is sometimes why there is such bad reflux.  My husband has this, and although he does just about all we can find to do for the situation, sometimes the esophogeal sphincter just doesn't close all the way.  He has found that it's very helpful to strengthen the diaphragm.  He learned a bunch of ways to do this from a woman who teaches voice lessons.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 06:49:19 AM »
I don't think so...this all just recently came about in the last two months.

Offline rosiedoo

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 07:40:54 AM »
My husband also has severe acid reflux and when he doesn't eat any processed flour and other grains, he has no acid.  I was making cookies the other day for Jewish New Year and he at 3 small cookies and immediately had acid issues.  He basically eats no whites...flour, rice, potatoes, sugar, pasta.  Hope this helps.  Sonce

Offline Laalex2

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 04:16:34 PM »
It's called Grapefruit Seed Extract and any health food store carries it.  It's very strong but I put in 10 drops in water 3 times a day before meals and felt much better within several days.  Encourage her to also eat low carb....no sweets, fruits, breads, pastas.  Mostly vegetables, proteins, nuts, olive oil, low gluten grains (millet, buckwheat, and brown rice) for awhile and she will feel so much better.

butterfly84

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »
My husband also has acid reflex,
and what has helped for him are:

papaya pills
drinking aloe Vera juice
bio-gest

he's currently been taking the bio-gest(recommended my our naturepath)
and thats seems to be helping Alot.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 10:41:47 AM »
Please offer advice if you have it and if you don't, pray.  My baby is almost 7 weeks and he is having serious digestive trouble.  All of my babies had reflux, so I'm not new to excessive spitting up, but this is scary.  I first suspected pyloric stenosis because I had it as an infant, but I now doubt that's what it really is (I'm probably going to have an ultrasound just to be safe).  He is purely breastfed and he projectile vomits (always after much heaving) nearly an entire meal so frequently that I have taken to sleeping on layers of waterproof mats to save the sheets.  I keep him upright except for diaper changes, I burp him twice per feeding, I limit his feeding time to 5 minutes every hour to be sure his stomach is not too full, and my diet is so mild I don't know what else to cut out.  I already feel like it's not very healthy for me but I'm afraid to take supplements because they might affect him.  (Breakfast: 2 slices toast, Lunch: romaine lettuce and unseasoned grilled chicken with a tiny bit of dressing, snack: slice of toast, dinner:  same as lunch;  I drink only water with a tiny splash of cranberry just to keep things interesting).  I've been eating this way for 5 days and prior to that my diet also included raw carrots, apples and plain brown rice.)  Any ideas, anyone?  Praise the Lord that he is still hydrated, although his bowel movements are far smaller and fewer than they were.  I am getting desperate.  Not only am I concerned for his health, but I am having a very difficult time homeschooling and spending time with my other kids because I am so occupied with laundry, feedings, baths, showers, etc.  Thanks, ladies!        ~L
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 10:49:43 AM by petrimama »

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »
I am praying for you today, for strength and endurance, for wisdom in finding what will help him, for doctors involved, and for your precious baby boy's health.

HUGS<
Jenn
Jenn :D

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
How long have you been off dairy? I know it can take up to two weeks for it to completely leave your system, and therefore baby's system.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2006, 11:43:18 AM »
Have you tried some tummy tuneup? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 12:10:50 PM »
I've been off dairy 1 week, so I guess I should give it more time - but my husband just told me to eat a small amount of cheese to get some fat in my diet because it seems like I'm losing my milk.  Normally I have more than I know what to do with, so the only thing I can think of causing it is that my diet is not well rounded.  I sure have been craving fat - I feel like I could eat a stick of butter! :P
Tummy tune up is safe for newborns?  I don't have any but maybe I'll order some.
  Thanks everyone - keep it coming!    ~L

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 12:15:02 PM »
Tummy tune up is safe for newborns?  I don't have any but maybe I'll order some.
Yes.  You can take it yourself and/or put in on your nipple for baby to suck  off while nursing.  It's been very helpful for many digestive upsets in mamas and babies.

As for the fat (hubby is probably right), you can get fat without dairy.  Olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, flax seeds, meat (especially grass fed).  Scroll down to #5 on this link for more fat ideas.
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2698.msg24644.html#msg24644
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2006, 12:32:55 PM »
Thanks again, HB!  I just looked at the TTU at beeyoutiful and was wondering exactly how a newborn would use a pill.  You answered before I had to ask.
Also, about the other sources of fat:  I was trying to cut out all acids and allergens from my diet, which eliminated just about everything...hence my dilemma.  My oldest son is severely allergic to nuts, but since I LOVE them and they are a good fatty food, do you guys think it would be a better bet to add those back into my diet instead of dairy?     ~L

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »
Thanks again, HB!  I just looked at the TTU at beeyoutiful and was wondering exactly how a newborn would use a pill.  You answered before I had to ask.
Also, about the other sources of fat:  I was trying to cut out all acids and allergens from my diet, which eliminated just about everything...hence my dilemma.  My oldest son is severely allergic to nuts, but since I LOVE them and they are a good fatty food, do you guys think it would be a better bet to add those back into my diet instead of dairy?     ~L
I don't know on the nuts.  No experience here with nut allergies - what about olive oil or coconut oil?  Olive oil is good like melted butter on meats and breads.  Coconut oil is something you could melt in a cup of warm tea or mix in a smoothie with kefir or yogurt.  The kefir and yogurt in most cases won't bother a person with dairy allergies.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
Hey I just found this article, and as a mom of a kid with reflux it is something I wish I had stumbled upon much earlier.  Also, since we have been drinking raw milk my (breastfeeding) son's reflux is almost gone.  Coincidence?   ::) ;)

http://www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz/Food/Breastfeeding.htm
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline ByHisGrace

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2007, 09:23:17 AM »
What do you give to a child with symptoms of reflux.  My husband has it and my oldest had it when he was younger.  Now,  my second boy,4, is holding his throat and says,  "Mama, I got sick."  He was crying when he went to bed last night. :-[

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »
What exactly is reflux?  Is it indegestion? Or is it something else.  Raw ACV will help alakalize the body.  Other than that I haven't a clue.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2007, 09:48:55 AM »
Use food enzymes and that should correct it. It should be that simple.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »
Reflux is when the stomach acid splashes into the esophagus. Sometimes treating for yeast/fungus will get rid of it. In the meantime DG licorice root- if your 4yo can't take pills maybe you can mix the powder with water & have him drink it- tea might work but I think the goo is part of the healing effect & the powder will stay in his stomach longer. Slippery elm is supposed to help also. Take it the same way as licorice root. BTW both of these will help coat the esophagus on the way down & help heal it also. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2007, 03:58:25 AM »
HELP!  I am now seven months pregnant and NASTY reflux has set in!  Standard dietary practices to reduce it don't even phase it.  I have also taken TTU up until four to six weeks ago because of morning sickness so I know it isn't a complete lack of good bacteria.  However, I am starting to take TTU again to see if it will help.  I have resorted to TUMS and want to stop that ASAP but need relief!  I couldn't even sleep yesterday for a period of time because it was so bad!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2007, 04:10:49 AM »
DG licorice root might help. It is good for ulcers & reflux. The DG part means it won't raise blood pressure. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2007, 05:12:12 AM »
I was taking six Tummy Tune up every day towards the last of my pregnancy. They really helped with heartburn. If I missed a day I regretted it. Taking 2-3 before breakfast with a large glass of water really helped. I also found that toward the end constant snacking rather than full meals was the way to go. Hope you find some relief!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:45:31 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2007, 06:14:33 AM »
Thanks!  You've both given me some hope!  This happend my last pregnancy but I don't remember it this bad this soon.  And at that point I had no idea what natural remedies were.