Author Topic: Blood in Stools: Causes & Treatments  (Read 12209 times)

Offline herbalmama

• Adept
Blood in Stools: Causes & Treatments
« on: November 24, 2006, 07:06:14 AM »
I really need some advice and wasn't sure where to post so I hope this is okay .For the past two years or more I have had a problem with blood in my stools .I also have frequent abdominal discomfort like a heavy achiness in my bowels in the front and back.At first I attributed it to hemerhoids but now I really dont think that is the case.And now I have not only bloody stools but about 1/8 - 1/4 cup of blood in the toilet whenever I have a bm .I really need some advice here  :P I feel so run down and yucky and cant decide wether to just go on and go to the doc or not. Aside from midwives with my last two pregnancies I havent been to the doctor in almost 3 years . I have a very real fear of doctors and hospitals.Anyway maybe someone out there will have some experience with symptoms like I have been having.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Blood in Stools: Causes & Treatments
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 08:47:50 AM »
You may need to see a doc, but if you have something like IBS or parasites, then you'd probably want to look into treating for yeast and/or leaky gut.

Read the following link to see if maybe this might apply to you.  If it persists, I would definately think about seeing a doc.  It sounds like you're losing a lot of blood this way.  You're probably run down from anemia as well and might need more iron to help keep up your blood levels.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2698.msg24644.html#msg24644
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:35:42 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 06:59:10 PM »
I second HB in looking into parasites/leaky gut.  However, if you're losing this much blood (and it sounds like it's probably a significant amount for a long time), you really need to get it checked out.  You sound anemic.  Do you take very much aspirin, Aleve, or ibuprofen?  Do you take any other herbs/supplements that cause thinning of the blood?  If so, it would probably be a good idea to stop those.

I know it can be scary to go to a doctor and to the hospital.  I know that they don't always manage things correctly, especially chronic problems.  But they're good at the acute, emergency-type stuff.  You can let them take care of the acute problem (the source of the bleeding), and then you can look into natural ways to manage the chronic problem (the reason for the bleeding).  Hope this helps, and that you find relief very soon!

Sarah

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:24:35 AM »
I don't know if this would apply to your situation or not, but a friend of mine found a lot of blood in the toilet bowl after having bowel movements and finally went to the doctor. They found out that it was apples... they had been eating a lot of apples (they were on a fad diet) and had not chewed them well enough. The doc said the undigested peels were causing cuts in the walls of their intestines.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 05:42:45 AM »
I would be very interested in knowing whether or not those apples were organically grown. We toured an apple orchard/processing plant a couple of years ago, and you just don't want to know what they do to get an apple on your table in the regular grocery store.  :P
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 06:08:45 AM »
They were not organic. None of our friends were/are "organically inclined" (LOL) except one family from California.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 06:55:29 AM »
The symptoms you are describing sound a lot like diverticulitis/ colitis.  My MIL has this.  Something maybe you could look into while researching.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 07:16:35 AM »
The symptoms you are describing sound a lot like diverticulitis/ colitis.  My MIL has this.  Something maybe you could look into while researching.
Maybe you could post your expertise on this topic on the new thread.

Diverticulitis:  Causes & Cures

So far, all that is posted is a question and some research I did.  I have no experience with this ailment and I'm sure the lady who asked the question would love some input from someone who has.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:35:23 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 07:53:25 AM »
 You might want to check out AMP Molo-cure.  It is derived from aloe-vera and specifically made to heal the gut, like chronic diarriah,IBS,stools as you describe.  My Dh had a problem with that and though he did get it checked out first,he got completely over it taking this stuff.

Offline momof4boys

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 04:29:55 AM »
First I must say, I have been away from the site for a while and have missed you ladies.  Now to my problem. 

My mom called me last night for advise.  She knows that I have started looking into natural healing and better food for our bodies so she thought I could find some answers for her.  She started having some problems a couple of months ago with constipation.  She has never really had those problems so it kindof freaked her out.

I just told her then to eat more fiber, drink more water and start eating more fresh foods, less processed.  She started doing better and feeling better. 

Now she called last night and said that since just after Christmas she has been having the opposite problem.  More loose bowels and yesterday it looked like blood in her stool.  That REALLY upset her.  She asked me what she should. 

I am so new to all this I wasn't exactly sure.  I told her to cut back on her meat intake ( she ate sausage for supper  :( ).  I told her to start on some plain yogurt, she could make her some smoothies with fruit and honey.  I told her to cut out as much sugar as possible.  She was asking if she should start drinking more fresh juices and cut back on lettuce.  I told her she still needed fiber and veggies in her diet.
I know this is getting really long.  I am just not sure what else to tell her. 

I live in Louisiana and she lives in Georgia so it is hard to help her long distance.  She hates taking pills and I don't think she would do any cleanses.  She talked about fasting but wasn't sure what kind of fast to do.  ANY advise I could pass along to her would be greatly appreciated!! 

Oh, by the way she is in her late 50's and lives alone.  My sister doesn't live far from her but she hasn't told her what is going on because she is not one to handle this kind of thing well and really doesn't fully believe in doing things naturally.

Sorry this ended up being so long.   THANKS, Deanna
Faith does not deny the reality of the difficulty.
Faith declares the POWER of God in the face of it.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 10:53:57 AM »
I really need some advice and wasn't sure where to post so I hope this is okay .For the past two years or more I have had a problem with blood in my stools .I also have frequent abdominal discomfort like a heavy achiness in my bowels in the front and back.At first I attributed it to hemerhoids but now I really dont think that is the case.And now I have not only bloody stools but about 1/8 - 1/4 cup of blood in the toilet whenever I have a bm .I really need some advice here  :P I feel so run down and yucky and cant decide wether to just go on and go to the doc or not. Aside from midwives with my last two pregnancies I havent been to the doctor in almost 3 years . I have a very real fear of doctors and hospitals.Anyway maybe someone out there will have some experience with symptoms like I have been having.

herbalmama,
What did you figure out for this problem?  I think I may be suffering the same thing.  Did you find anything that helped, or maybe a diagnosis?

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »
I'm posting this here since I can't find an answer anywhere.
Someone in the family ( very embarrassed about me posting this! ::) has had blood in their stools for about a week. It has been hard for this person to pass anything in the beginning and then is fine, but will have blood when wipes. I'm thinking it may be a fissure, but it is very disconcerting.  Any other ideas for treatment besides treating constipation?
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 05:26:39 AM »
Bump.
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 08:52:36 AM »
Bumping as I am interested in answers. We have identical situation (that comes and goes) with a member of our family too. Been treating it as constipation which has helped some, but are also thinking of trying Eden Salve or kefir topically. :-\

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 09:33:07 AM »
Someone in the family ( very embarrassed about me posting this! ::) has had blood in their stools for about a week. It has been hard for this person to pass anything in the beginning and then is fine, but will have blood when wipes. I'm thinking it may be a fissure, but it is very disconcerting.  Any other ideas for treatment besides treating constipation?
Bumping as I am interested in answers. We have identical situation (that comes and goes) with a member of our family too. Been treating it as constipation which has helped some, but are also thinking of trying Eden Salve or kefir topically. :-\
My question is, and please excuse the graphicness, Is the blood thru out the stool or simply around the stool?  Is the blood red or dark in color; are there clots?  Is there pain with bowel movements? 
This could be due to many different issues with some very serious and some more benign.  Hemmorhoids can be either external or internal, and could be part of the problem.   Kper, this was the first thing that I thought of when you said that the blood was present on wiping. 
I would continue with treating constipation and consider a stool softener.  The Miracle/Eden salve should work well as would witch hazel.

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 05:00:58 AM »
My question is, and please excuse the graphicness, Is the blood thru out the stool or simply around the stool?  Is the blood red or dark in color; are there clots?  Is there pain with bowel movements? 
This could be due to many different issues with some very serious and some more benign.  Hemmorhoids can be either external or internal, and could be part of the problem.   Kper, this was the first thing that I thought of when you said that the blood was present on wiping. 
I would continue with treating constipation and consider a stool softener.  The Miracle/Eden salve should work well as would witch hazel.

To answer your questions...
Is the blood thru out the stool or simply around the stool? around  Is the blood red or dark in color; are there clots? red/no   Is there pain with bowel movements?  no

Does there have to be pain to be a hemorrhoid? After you mentioned it, that's what I thought too, but there is no pain.

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 05:12:57 AM »
I dont have much experience with this, but my 9 year old had a food-borne bacteria a few months ago and had quite a bit of red blood in her stools for several days in a row.  Of course, being the "anxious" mommy that I am I took her to the doctor.  They said that red blood comes from the lower intestines and dark/black blood comes from the upper.  (I'm pretty sure that's right).  He said the blood itself comes from inflammation to the intestinal walls, so the blood is just the symptom.  You need to find the root of the problem.  If this  has been going on for a long time with you it is probably not the same as what she had, but I would say it could be parasites or some other chronic inflammatory intestinal thing, like colitis, chron's disease, etc....

I don't like doctors either, but I have to say, I would probably have that checked out if it were me.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 05:35:48 AM »
  They said that red blood comes from the lower intestines and dark/black blood comes from the upper.  (I'm pretty sure that's right).  He said the blood itself comes from inflammation to the intestinal walls, so the blood is just the symptom.  You need to find the root of the problem.  If this  has been going on for a long time with you it is probably not the same as what she had, but I would say it could be parasites or some other chronic inflammatory intestinal thing, like colitis, chron's disease, etc....

I don't like doctors either, but I have to say, I would probably have that checked out if it were me.
I agree with this completely... and yes, you have it right about the color of the blood.

Is the blood thru out the stool or simply around the stool? around  Is the blood red or dark in color; are there clots? red/no   Is there pain with bowel movements?  no

Does there have to be pain to be a hemorrhoid? After you mentioned it, that's what I thought too, but there is no pain.
   You don't have to have pain to have hemorrhoids, and they can be either internal or external. 
I would look at the amount of blood and go from there.  If it is a small amount or only with wiping I would consider hemorrhoids, but if it is more than a small amount, every time you have a bowel movement, or present without a movement, then I would seek medical advise from your doctor.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 04:47:29 AM »

Is the blood thru out the stool or simply around the stool? around  Is the blood red or dark in color; are there clots? red/no  Is there pain with bowel movements?   no

Pain is not constant or consistant with hemorrhoids.  But if one is constipated they can get inflamed and bleed, itch or protrude.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 03:52:23 AM »
A very private type topic here but I don't know what this means. Could be more info than you want to know.

I noticed last night when I wiped there was bright red blood. It had happened a long time ago a few times but I thought maybe that was a little tear or something. This is more. It happened again this morning. It is very easy to go, have been going at least twice a day. I am very pregnant at the moment as well.

Here's the maybe too much info part, it feels slippery inside when I go. Makes me worry that my inside is just lined with blood for some reason. The only thing I have added to my diet is taking Evening Primrose Oil seeing as I am due soon.

I made sure to look at it this morning before flushing and there was a drop of blood next to the stool and it looked like some coating the outside of it.

So, what could this be? Do I need to see a doctor? I have some bentonite clay and I thought about maybe taking some of that. Would that help or hurt?

Thanks!

Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 05:55:24 AM »
I'm not an expert on this but have researched it some, and as you may know, since its bright red blood its not coming from deep inside in which case it could be an indication of something serious. What you've described sounds like anal fissures, or tiny tears, and even if its easy to go they can develop from toxins in the stools and yeast in the gut. The slippery-ness you mentioned also made me think of yeast. Do you have any pain when you wipe?

You could try aloe vera softgels for internal healing and also plenty of probiotics.  And of course a good diet including raw milk, butter, fermented foods, bone broths, kombucha, etc. would be very helpful. Oh, and plenty of water between meals. Take care! :)

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
I agree with LotsaBoys.

If it was me with the symptoms, I would not goto a doctor about this one.  I would suspect that the increased blood volume and crowded pelvis of pregnancy have irritated those tissues Lotsa mentioned.  I would even consider treating this like I would post-delivery tissues in that area:  warm water baths, peribottle wash as needed, and such.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »
Thanks for the info. I got to read the earlier posts on this when they merged the thread. I couldn't find it when I was looking.

I don't have any pain with it at all so I guess it isn't as bad as it looks when it happens.

Didn't have any this afternoon. I was very careful to not strain at all. Maybe you are right about the fissure.

Well, I have lots of aloe around, I guess I will try that. Thanks again. Anybody have any other thoughts on it please share.  :)
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.