Author Topic: Insulin Pump: Tell Us Your Experience  (Read 36122 times)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Insulin Pump: Tell Us Your Experience
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2009, 04:49:30 AM »

(Patti, I have not forgotten about checking into allergies further.  We have just been working to eliminate other possibilities)

:D

Just so you know - the longer you wait, if he does have food allergies (I'm pretty sure he does) they will continue to get worse so when you do start fixing his gut it will take longer.  Just a cautionary note there....... ;)

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2009, 06:53:40 AM »
Just an update--

My son seems to be better.  Maybe it was just "extraordinary daytime urinary frequency syndrome"  mixed with other random symptoms. 
Sorry to have taken up a lot of this thread  but maybe it will help another parent in the future. 
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2009, 09:37:35 AM »
Just an update--

My son seems to be better.  Maybe it was just "extraordinary daytime urinary frequency syndrome"  mixed with other random symptoms. 
Sorry to have taken up a lot of this thread  but maybe it will help another parent in the future. 

Did you end up making any dietary changes at all?  If so, what?  And are you still doing them if you did?

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2009, 06:40:47 AM »
This is a very interesting article on the possible link between wheat and the onset of type 1 diabetes.  Wheat is not the cause in every case but it could be the cause of a certain percentage.  I thought it may be of help to someone out there.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090820124038.htm

Patti, my son's symptoms are still dramatically decreased. I haven't taken anything away.  Maybe he had a seasonal allergy....Cottonwood?  Taking away gluten and milk is still my next plan of attack if they worsen again.   
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »
Glad to hear he is doing better.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2009, 02:26:40 AM »
Ineverything,

I was just thinking about your son and I think I might have a solution to his frequent urinating and thirst.

You said that he is eating plants out of the yard. Finding edible weeds and such. My suggestion is that you make him stop for a bit and see if this doesn't make things better.

See what has happened to me is that I went to the herbalist. She made me up some stuff. It had a diuretic in it. I was alright at first but now if I take it a night then the next day I have dry mouth something awful. I drink like crazy and it doesn't get better no matter how much I drink. I am running to the rest room all the time. I thought that I as on the onset of diabetes. My husband said it looks like it is time to get you tested. Then I had a dentist appointment  and mentioned to her the dry mouth. She asked have you been on a diuretic? Yep, that is it. I quit taking it before bed and back to normal the nest day.

So what I am saying is your son is eating all these weeds and they most certainly have to be diuretics. thus causing the frequent urinating and drinking.

I hope this helps and wanted to put it here just encase someone else is going through the same thing.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2009, 09:50:21 AM »
Ineverything,

I was just thinking about your son and I think I might have a solution to his frequent urinating and thirst.

You said that he is eating plants out of the yard. Finding edible weeds and such. My suggestion is that you make him stop for a bit and see if this doesn't make things better.

See what has happened to me is that I went to the herbalist. She made me up some stuff. It had a diuretic in it. I was alright at first but now if I take it a night then the next day I have dry mouth something awful. I drink like crazy and it doesn't get better no matter how much I drink. I am running to the rest room all the time. I thought that I as on the onset of diabetes. My husband said it looks like it is time to get you tested. Then I had a dentist appointment  and mentioned to her the dry mouth. She asked have you been on a diuretic? Yep, that is it. I quit taking it before bed and back to normal the nest day.

So what I am saying is your son is eating all these weeds and they most certainly have to be diuretics. thus causing the frequent urinating and drinking.

I hope this helps and wanted to put it here just encase someone else is going through the same thing.

Thank you Amanda for thinking of us!  Praise the Lord your problem was solved.

I hope you are right about my son.  You just never know!  His urination is still a bit better. The major thing now is his lack of weight gain.  He is very scrawny and has been 45 lbs since March.  He will hopefully do some catch up soon.  The doctor is sometimes annoyingly optimistic about this.  My instinct says that something is wrong.

Unfortunately he had frequent urination all throughout our ten day trip in April (no herbs or vitamins).

Our plan of attack now is to be off gluten for three months. We will see if he gets healthier.  I still think his blood sugar numbers are slowly rising ( I check about once a week if I smell ketones on his breath).  His numbers are higher then my other son but not high enough to really worry.

God Bless you! Kate

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2010, 03:26:49 AM »
Dr. Says keeps telling us ds need to be on the pump. I have been a bit slow about doing it as I am not sure about it. But now we decided to get one and then I hear about the teflon line they put in under the skin. Well I don't even cook with teflon so I am not happy about putting it under my sons skin to stay. I also read about the stainless steel ones but read that they can contain 8 to 12 % nickel. Am I thinking right in thinking that could be bad? Are there any others out there that I don't know about? I am talking about the sets.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
Re: Insulin Pump: Tell Us Your Experience
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2010, 04:48:06 AM »
Dr. Says keeps telling us ds need to be on the pump. I have been a bit slow about doing it as I am not sure about it. But now we decided to get one and then I hear about the teflon line they put in under the skin. Well I don't even cook with teflon so I am not happy about putting it under my sons skin to stay. I also read about the stainless steel ones but read that they can contain 8 to 12 % nickel. Am I thinking right in thinking that could be bad? Are there any others out there that I don't know about? I am talking about the sets.

Teflon, I hadn't heard of that, but you are right.  I have been using a medtronic insulin pump for over 10 years now.   It is very helpful in getting and maintaining control of your diabetes.  I also recently got the  continuous glucose monitoring system that works with my insulin pump.  This is especially helpful because it is continually checking the sugar level and then gives you an average reading every 5 minutes.  You literally see how your sugar level fluctuates throughout the day, after meals and during the night.  It can help you spot trends and better treat you diabetes. 

I am not sure about all the Teflon stuff, but I thought that the big deal had to do with heating the pans and putting off those fumes (chemicals).  I am not saying that the Teflon is perfectly safe, because I honestly do not know.  I do believe that my life is better with the pump than without out.  It is so much easier to take care of myself with the pump, especially since I am a very busy mom of 2 preschoolers.  I haven't noticed any ill effect from my insulin pump or the cannula.  Just like with shots you have to choose different sites, so that you don't get the fatty tissue build up. 

I hope that maybe this was a little helpful for you. 
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2010, 01:05:32 AM »
 Please pray with me that we will be able to get the continuous glucose monitoring system. What a help it would be for us. I am constantly waking up through the night to make sure he is not going low. It is very wearing on me and on him as well. This would be a big blessing.

I might metion that herei n Australia we have the social medicine and it is hard to get these things. The medicare will not even pay for the pump. We have had to get private insurance for that. Or pay out $8000 out of pocket. Just a concideration in health care. We are paying heavily for our health care in taxes and then are left to pay for our on health care.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2010, 06:24:32 AM »
Please pray with me that we will be able to get the continuous glucose monitoring system. What a help it would be for us. I am constantly waking up through the night to make sure he is not going low. It is very wearing on me and on him as well. This would be a big blessing.

I might metion that herei n Australia we have the social medicine and it is hard to get these things. The medicare will not even pay for the pump. We have had to get private insurance for that. Or pay out $8000 out of pocket. Just a concideration in health care. We are paying heavily for our health care in taxes and then are left to pay for our on health care.

Sorry about your health care situation.    Is your son already on the insulin pump?  If so have you lowered the  overnight basal rates?  Something you can try also is to make sure that he has a good snack before bed that would help to maintain his blood sugar level.  Milk is good because it has the protien and the carb in it.  YOu can also do a 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwhich.  Anothet thing to look at would be dinner insulin or bedtime insulin that he e is not getting too much.  Lows are not fun, especially during the night.  The CBM does set off allarms for low blood sugar, but the problem is that is is not exact to your actual blood sugar at the time.  For example your blood sugar could be 80 and the CGM may say you are 60 or you could be 60 and the CGM may say you are 80.  I found that my low alarm was always going off and I would be what I cconsidered to be a good count,, usually in the 70's.  YOu can set the levels, but it didn't seem to really work to well for me, because when I set it low enough to where it would keep alarming all the time then I was feeling the lows before the alarm anyway.  Another thing is I found that I can easily sleep through the alarms, my pump gives.  Because my pump is usually undreneath the covers or even under my body during the night the alarms are muffled and I may not even hear them.  I do love my CGM and it is a great tool to help get diabetes in control and maintain the control, but I wouldn't  solely rely on it for alarming me of low blood sugars.  I hope that maybe this helps some.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53:42 AM »
Thank you for that insight!!!!! It helps to know someone that has tried it and knows if it is worth it or not. I am not sure how much it is going to be or if they even have it here yet. We go today for the inital start up. He will get the st put in today and get the pump two weeks from now. That is the cgl I am talking about.

As far as the health care. I was mainly mentioning it to let you all know  how social med. really works. I know that there is a big push for it right now and I would certaintly try not to let it in.

With his lows they are very unpredictable. If we think he might go low then we give him a spoon of peanut butter or a glass of milk only for him to be in the 400's the next morning. If we don't he may have a bad hypo. So as not to treat it when he doesn't need it I wake up through the night to make sure he isn't low.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
InEverything, what happened with your DS?  Were you able to determine if he is diabetic?  Did going GF help? 

patti

Offline christinakm

• Learning
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2010, 04:51:19 AM »
I'd like to share that my youngest son who is now 11, has been on the pump since he was 3. He uses the medtronic/minimed pump. There is no teflon... well, at first, the needle that they use to get the line started might have some type of coating on it, but it doesn't stay in the skin. Once you get the canula in, you take the needle out, and all lthat is left is the plastic tubing- no teflon.

The pump might help you by itself without having to do the cgm- while I know it is helpful to have the cgm, it is costly. Here in the states, my insurance didn't cover the cgm, we bought it out of pocket. My son hates wearing the continuous glucose monitor. Not hates it, but hates putting it in. It is cumbersome to get in, and he doesn't have 2oz of fat on him, so that makes it difficult as well.
His blood sugarss are kept well with the pump alone, though. He is able to turn his pump down at night, even.. to ensure that he doesn't go too low. I check him before I go to bed at midnight, and if i've noticed a drop from the time before that is too much of  a drop I will reduce the amount of insulin he gets through out the night sometimes by 50% depending on  the activity level he had during the day.
Ocassionaly, I have had to wake him up for him to eat, but not as often as my son who is on just shots alone.
Hope this helps.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
We have found out that we can get the CMG. It cost $1000 dollars for the transmitter and then $70 for the sensor which will last 6 days :o.
Not sure if it is worth that especially after hearing from you ladies. My son hasn't any fat either. I do think it could be a good idea for those times that you can't get them stable. We were even contemplating buying the transmitter and using the senors for a week that we need help working out what is going on.

I think the plastic is the Teflon. Teflon is made by DuPont which makes plastic products, right. But I am with lovingmotherof2, after doing the research I don't think that his body will heat up enough to release those chemicals. I am still not to crazy about the idea of the Teflon but I can see that he is going to do much better on the pump. I didn't realize how small of a part goes into the skin. I had it in my mind that if it got ripped out it would take some skin. But now I see that it won't hurt at all. I like the idea more and more. He has in a set now just to get used to  it and then starts the pump in two weeks. He is so excited.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
InEverything, what happened with your DS?  Were you able to determine if he is diabetic?  Did going GF help? 

patti

Hi Patti-- Thanks for checking on us. I want to be brief for fear I am hijacking this thread from people who are actually dealing with this hardship everyday :(
My son did not improve GF but overall has improved slightly from his condition a year ago.  The frequency of peeing has decreased a little.  He has still only gained a pound since last March.  He has grown a couple of inches and he just turned 7! Since none of his symptoms are alarming we have taken a step back from actively pursuing this. 

With that said, I am not entirely over my suspicion that he may be experiencing a long onset of diabetes.  I check his blood sugar only every two months or so now and the highest BS reading was 150.  He actually has more of a tendency to have low blood sugar???  I will list his current symptoms: 

Abnormal thirst and urination, little weight gain over past year, constant hunger, easily irritable, occasional headaches, and sometimes later in the day I can smell that his breath is sweet smelling from a distance.  I have a good nose for this (i.e. I notice my kids' breath smelling funny when they are sick, different smell though).    My other kids don't have a sweet smell.This last week he had a spotty rash all over (like small bug bites?) but it could have been unrelated.

I really have taken a step back from active worry, I just keep praying that it is all just coincidental or that a solution will be found. :)  Thanks again for your concern!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
Have you tried enzymes to see if it's an absorption/digestion issue? 

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2010, 07:55:04 AM »
Have you tried enzymes to see if it's an absorption/digestion issue? 

I sent you a PM.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
I wanted to post back on how my son is doing with the pump. He is doing great! His Hba1c this time was 7.2!!!! That is wonderful for him. He was in the 9's not so long ago. I am so surprised on all the different things you can do with the pump. It is so much better than the shots were for him. We are so thankful for the difference it has made.

Thanks for all of your help in making this decision.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2010, 03:03:25 AM »
Has anyone heard/read anything about using gymnema extract to help control type 1 diabetes?  I have read that a controlled study of type 1 diabetics were supplemented gymnema extract and found a decreased need for insulin and improved blood sugar control.  I haven't been able to find much more information than that which was stated in the study.  Apparently this extract has been used for a long time in diabetes support.

I was just looking at this as well. Here is what I found tonight while researching.

Cures for Diabetes Type 1

With diabetes Type 1, the cells of the pancreas responsible for manufacturing insulin have been destroyed. These are called Beta cells, clusters of endocrine cells within the pancreas located in the islets of Langerhans. This might lead you to believe that a cure is not possible; however a study has shown that gymnema sylvestre, an herb, is capable of restoring the function of these cells.

In 1990, at the Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Diabetes (Kilpauk Medical College Hospital), Madras, India, E.R.B. Shanmugasundaram, et al., gave 400 mg/day of gymnema sylvestre extract to 27 patients with diabetes Type 1. Insulin requirements and excessive excretion of glucose in the urine (glucosuria) were reduced in 22 patients, while blood sugar (glucose) levels were reduced in 25. There were no side effects or any gastrointestinal disturbances, and five patients even reported a sense of greater well being. Beta cell function was also increased in these patients.

Another study upon animals, published in the same journal, found that normal, balanced blood-sugar levels were restored and that the numbers of beta cells were actually doubled.

Don't look for a cure from the US medical establishment any time soon; why would they want to kill a cash cow? You will have to pursue this avenue on your own, hopefully with help from your doctor.

Has any one tried it out yet?