Author Topic: Insulin Pump: Tell Us Your Experience  (Read 36109 times)

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
Insulin Pump: Tell Us Your Experience
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »
Gigi,

Is your meter fairly new?  What is the brand?
His meter is new as the company had just sent it to me but we have already had to change batteries. It is a Freestyle brand.

Is he washing his hands - or at least rubbing the soon-to-be-pricked finger really hard against his clothing before checking?
He did wash his hands I even had him rinse them again to make sure that it wasn't the soap.

Is the code correct on the meter so that it matches the strips you are using?  (Or maybe you do not use this type of meter system?)  I am always forgetting this and it can make some differences.
I did check the code and it was right.

Is it a possibility that he is eating when you are not aware
He isn't eating without me knowing. He is very careful with his diabetes for the most part.

Are you calculating carbs for shot dosages or some other method?
We are using Lantis at night 14 units that night it was 15. Humalog during the day . He gets a sliding range If he is doing school work that morning he gets 1 unit for every 10 carbs and when not it is 1 for every 15. If he is high or low we compensate for that.

How long has he had diabetes?
7 years. Since he was 6.

Is he eating standard carb-heavy meals?  Like  70-80 carbs for breakfast, 60-70 for lunch, 65-75 for dinner and 15 for a bedtime snack and other carb snacks as needed through the day?
He eats a normal carb diet. He does not have a snack before bed and we eat between 5-6 pm at night.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:24:27 PM by amandas5boys »

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »
Hello---  I haven't made it all the way through the thread but I will continue to read it. My post is completely hypothetical because my 6 yo son has not been diagnosed with diabetes.  For a week and a half he has been peeing 20 +times a day, emptying his bladder each time. He has also been thirsty and hungry, itchy skin, emotional.  I took him for a urine test and it was normal.  Finally I decided to take him for a blood test tomorrow, the doctor wanted him to fast first.
I have been reading on the childrenwithdiabetes website and saw that some kids are immediately hospitalized with diagnosis.  What would they do if he were to be diagnosed and would I have any say in his treatment?  I don't want any damage done with unnecessary treatments.
I know this is almost silly since there is no diagnosis, I just want to be prepared.  Someone else may benefit from the advice!v Thanks!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »
If your son is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes he will be hospitalized to figure out what insulin and amounts to be used to control his blood sugar.  They will also educate you and your son on giving shots, testing blood sugar and ketones and of course diet.  When I was diagnosed I did not leave the hospital after having my blood drawn.  My mother had an appointment and they had the results before we left.  I stayed in the hospital for 6 days.  I have heard that a week is an average stay time for new diabetics.  I really don't know if you have much say in the treatment.  You might have more say if you have a more naturalist doctor, but I don't really know that much can be done other than shots (that people know about)  There is the book The Diabetic Solution or something like that that talks about following a very rigid schedule and diet and not having to take insulin or very little.  Maybe someone else has some more information that might help you.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »
Thank you for your response.  His fasting blood glucose was 86 so he is not diabetic.  He still has all of the symptoms I mentioned above. Driving me crazy...he peed 25 times yesterday!
What does an 86 mean?   
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »
 86 is very normal.

Little boys sometimes do these things. It might help if you make him hold it for a little while. My guess is that he is irritating things. My not to long ago six year old had me off to the Dr with him. He was crying and saying it hurt him. No infection or any thing. Just feeling things there. You may have to train him not to bother it. We explained that that is a private area and that we leave it alone unless going to the rest room or cleaning. As for the being extra hungry he could be going through a growing spurt. My boys eat as much if not more than their daddy. I don't do snacks through the day so when they eat it is good food. By the way if you are giving Lolly drinks that can cause irritation. This cloud just be a gooddoes of a growth spurt.

Amanda

Offline Good day family

• Learning
    • Aholeleis
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 02:23:33 AM »
Going to the bathroom a lot was the major symptom I noticed with my son when he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He was going about every 15-20 min and when he went, it was A LOT. It sounded like he had drank a half gallon of water and then held it for 6 hours; but of course he hadn't, it had only been 15 min, with nothing to drink in the meantime. 
So I was wondering, amandas5boys, if he is going a lot or a little when he goes that often? If it is just a little, could it be some type of bladder issue?
I don't know, that was just my thought. I think that's what I was hoping for when I first noticed my son's symptoms.:)
http://aholeleis.blogspot.com/
From the burden I carried, now I am set free!  For JESUS has lifted my load!  Oh, the love and the grace I received in it's place~ when HE put my sins under the blood!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 02:36:33 AM »
I just received this article this morning from Mark Sircus, director of the International Medical Veritas Association. This is the foundation that is making huge advancements in winning the war against cancer by using basic medicinal supplements like iodine, magnesium and sodium bicarbonate. I follow their work very closely.

Anyway, this newsletter really caught my attention, and I'd like to share part of it here:

Professor Noel Morgan from the Peninsula Medical School, said the results showed the underlying infection with enteroviruses were not "rare events". Karen Addington, chief executive of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, who funded the research, said the findings were important as the incidence of type 1 diabetes is increasing every year and there is currently no way to prevent it, which of course is not true. What she meant was that allopathic medicine has no clue how to prevent or treat type one diabetes.

A person with Type 1 diabetes may be offered some hope when they
learn that some researchers were able to halt the onset of Type 1 diabetes
by using an antifungal drug within four months of the onset of the disease. 
                                                                                  Doug Kaufman

The article went on to say that mycotoxins (toxins from fungi) were specifically toxic to the pancreas. That is exactly where the insulin is produced, in the beta cells. Hmmm, and they were able to knock out type 1 diabetes by using an antifungal drug???

Lots of you know Doug Kaufman--'Know the Cause.' He is the guy that links fungus to cancer. Now we link mycotoxins (fungal) to Type I diabetes? It's very interesting, to say the least......

~MS
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Good day family

• Learning
    • Aholeleis
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 03:31:40 AM »
OK I was going to say this before, but for some reason I didn't, probably because I'm not too sure...?  Anyway, after reading the last post it, I thought I would since it's dealing with the "onset" of diabetes...
I remember the doctor saying (when we were first diagnosed) that there is a "honeymoon" stage that you go through at first, where the pancreas is still producing some insulin along with the artificial insulin injections.  I often wish I was more prepared at that point because I think we could've done more to at least delay the full blown diabetes.  But I was thinking about amandas5boys and thought that if your son is indeed going A LOT when he goes, but then had a normal fasting BS, is there a chance he could be in just the preliminary stages of type 1? -I hope not, but just thought you may still want to watch it if you don't find any other solution?  Anyway, for him, or anyone else who would be in the "extremely-early-hard-to-catch" stage, or for those who are in the "honeymoon" stage, Dr Kaufman's research may be helpful!:) -worth trying at least. If I had been more educated in the beginning, I would've tried a lot more things.:)
From the burden I carried, now I am set free!  For JESUS has lifted my load!  Oh, the love and the grace I received in it's place~ when HE put my sins under the blood!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 04:48:58 AM »
I just received this article this morning from Mark Sircus, director of the International Medical Veritas Association. This is the foundation that is making huge advancements in winning the war against cancer by using basic medicinal supplements like iodine, magnesium and sodium bicarbonate. I follow their work very closely.

Anyway, this newsletter really caught my attention, and I'd like to share part of it here:

Professor Noel Morgan from the Peninsula Medical School, said the results showed the underlying infection with enteroviruses were not "rare events". Karen Addington, chief executive of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, who funded the research, said the findings were important as the incidence of type 1 diabetes is increasing every year and there is currently no way to prevent it, which of course is not true. What she meant was that allopathic medicine has no clue how to prevent or treat type one diabetes.

Doug Kaufman

The article went on to say that mycotoxins (toxins from fungi) were specifically toxic to the pancreas. That is exactly where the insulin is produced, in the beta cells. Hmmm, and they were able to knock out type 1 diabetes by using an antifungal drug???

Lots of you know Doug Kaufman--'Know the Cause.' He is the guy that links fungus to cancer. Now we link mycotoxins (fungal) to Type I diabetes? It's very interesting, to say the least......

~MS

This is extremely interesting because when my DS was sick as anything he was constantly having blood sugar issues.  When we had his stool tested it showed his gut was filled with enterovirus.  As soon as we started to kill that off his blood sugar issues went away.  This is interesting..............

We actually had my DS tested for type I diabetes because we were afraid that's where he was heading.  Certainly would be worth anyone with it having their stool checked.  Enterovirus is extremely common in being overrun when someone has out of balance gut flora.  That may or may not include yeast issues.  My DS had no candida issues but still had the overrun of enterovirus. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 05:36:30 AM »
OK I was going to say this before, but for some reason I didn't, probably because I'm not too sure...?  Anyway, after reading the last post it, I thought I would since it's dealing with the "onset" of diabetes...
I remember the doctor saying (when we were first diagnosed) that there is a "honeymoon" stage that you go through at first, where the pancreas is still producing some insulin along with the artificial insulin injections.  I often wish I was more prepared at that point because I think we could've done more to at least delay the full blown diabetes.  But I was thinking about amandas5boys and thought that if your son is indeed going A LOT when he goes, but then had a normal fasting BS, is there a chance he could be in just the preliminary stages of type 1? -I hope not, but just thought you may still want to watch it if you don't find any other solution?  Anyway, for him, or anyone else who would be in the "extremely-early-hard-to-catch" stage, or for those who are in the "honeymoon" stage, Dr Kaufman's research may be helpful!:) -worth trying at least. If I had been more educated in the beginning, I would've tried a lot more things.:)

I was wondering the same thing about the honeymoon phase...of course I would love to be wrong.  I am hoping that amandas5boys hypothesis is correct.  I am already telling him to try to hold it longer and not to "bother" himself.  What threw me off was his desperate thirstiness among other things.  Last night at AWANAS his leader asked if I had checked him for diabetes.
If you go to the childrenwithdiabetes website you will see a picture of a girl and then a link to read other kids' testimonies. It is interesting to read the variety of symptoms presented when children first get diagnosed.
For now I will continue to watch him. I am encouraging lots of exercise and cutting back on sweets just in case.
A few more things about my son's health history: I have hypoglycemia and this son has been my one child who displays low blood sugar at times too.  Over the years he would sometimes wake up nauseus and need to eat.  He also had a grand mal seizure during a virus he had when he was 1.  Needless to say, I have always been sensitive to his need for frequent meals.  He is very skinny.
We are going on a long car trip next week so I hope these "behaviors" go away!  Thanks for your input!

Offline Good day family

• Learning
    • Aholeleis
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 06:35:04 AM »
Oh I'm sorry! I should have read the names better ~ I was thinking it was amandas5boys with the 1 son in question! So ok, my response was about InEverything's son...:) so sorry...   :-[
The long car trip may help make a diagnosis too.:)  My son had been waking up wet  :-X  every few nights for a couple of weeks previous to his diagnosis, and I had noticed that he seemed skinnier, but what finally made me take him into the doctor was when we had traveled somewhere for my birthday -and so he was with me constantly all throughout the day. So that was a very good way to see how much he was actually drinking and going. So I hope it helps you too.
I hope that made sense cause I'm quickly typing this before we go somewhere...:)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 07:43:03 AM »
CHEAPER TEST STRIPS!
Many of you may already know this but Kroger grocery store has blood sugar testers (glucose monitors) for $15 and a box of 50 strips for $25 or even better yet a box of 100 for $45.

I had to approach the Kroger pharmacist to ask about it but it is well worth checking in to if you have a Kroger's near by.

When I got my insulin pump in 2004 they gave me a free one touch ultra meter. And for a box of 100 strips it cost over a $100! The endo doctor says I need to test my sugars up to 12 times a day because I am so brittle. Other wise I will get busy doing stuff like bathing the kids and nearly pass out from a low since they creep up on me real fast.  Using the Kroger brand will save us about $60 every 1- 1.5 weeks.

I wanted to post the above in case it helps any other diabetics. I know how the cost of insulin and strips are killers. It cost over a $100 for just 1 bottle of insulin. It is terrible so if you can save money by getting the generic brand test strips then it is worth it IMO.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »
I am still here...doing research.  My sons symptoms are worrisome to me.
The doctor is definately acting like I am over reacting.  BTW we rarely go to doctors, my almost 4 yo daughter has never been.

This was on the childrenwithdiabetes website, maybe someone else could use this information.

Many times, in the early stages of diabetes, fasting blood sugar may be normal, but blood sugars after eating may be elevated (and intermittently so). Yes, abnormal (and normal) blood sugars done by using other people's meters need to be confirmed in a lab when the diagnosis of diabetes is in questions. I would suspect your child's abnormal blood sugar done by meters was not a fasting one. Therefore, it needs to be confirmed with a non-fasting blood sugar at a lab. Also, if there is any question of intermittently high blood sugars, urine should e tested periodically at home for a while (after eating), especially when the child is sick and blood sugars may go up rapidly.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »

Doug Kaufman

~MS

Would garlic work?

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »
Hello InEverything,

I've just noticed your posts.  I would be researching, too!  Good job, Mama! 

I wondered, did the doctor not give ANY further ideas for other tests/approaches to solving his symptoms?

If he is indeed urinating that frequently and he has a full bladder every time, and this has been going on for a week or more, than something is not right.  Well, that's how I would feel if it were my little one.

Do you have access to/could you get access to a regular glucometer?  Do you have any diabetic friend that {doesn't have any terrible transmittable diseases!} would let you borrow one?  You could run over to their house and do a random test . . .

It might be worth it to pick up a meter (the 15 dollar Wally-world ones work fine) and a package of strips (here's the expense, maybe 50 bucks) so that you can continue to check his sugars through the day.  If they are always normal, than you can simply eliminate that from your thinking.  I love having substantial data points because then you can make a plan!!!

Is he drinking like a horse?  Is he dizzy?  Is he sleepy?  Is he making sense when he talks?  Is the urinating going in cycles or constant?  Is he having trouble at night?  Has he had a recent bout with any kind of sickness, weird new bug bites, or shots?

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
amandas5boys,

Sorry I did not see your reply sooner.

How are things going?  Are you still having weird numbers? 

One thing that came to me I thought I would mention.  You mentioned that you are giving one shot/day of the lantus. 

A lot of folks I've read about actually split the shot up into two shots, one in the morning and one before bed.  This kind of allows you to better control how much insulin he needs when he needs it.  Although Lantus/Levemir are great breakthrough's and are termed Long acting and supposedly have no "peaks," that simply isn't fully true.  It does have a peak, and is has times when it is not really working as well as it needs to.

All that to say, maybe you could consider asking your doctor (or just adjusting it yourself, if you are confident) about splitting up his shot.  Some folks take the same amount morning and night.  Like if he takes 10 units, than he could begin by taking 5 upon rising and 5 at bedtime.  Some folks need a pinch more during the day than at night.  With lots of blood sugar checks, you should be able to figure out how this works for your son.

I am wondering if the dips/rises in the lantus absorption could be playing a role in the weird numbers.  Worth a try, maybe?

HTH

Gigi,

Is your meter fairly new?  What is the brand?
His meter is new as the company had just sent it to me but we have already had to change batteries. It is a Freestyle brand.

Is he washing his hands - or at least rubbing the soon-to-be-pricked finger really hard against his clothing before checking?
He did wash his hands I even had him rinse them again to make sure that it wasn't the soap.

Is the code correct on the meter so that it matches the strips you are using?  (Or maybe you do not use this type of meter system?)  I am always forgetting this and it can make some differences.
I did check the code and it was right.

Is it a possibility that he is eating when you are not aware
He isn't eating without me knowing. He is very careful with his diabetes for the most part.

Are you calculating carbs for shot dosages or some other method?
We are using Lantis at night 14 units that night it was 15. Humalog during the day . He gets a sliding range If he is doing school work that morning he gets 1 unit for every 10 carbs and when not it is 1 for every 15. If he is high or low we compensate for that.

How long has he had diabetes?
7 years. Since he was 6.

Is he eating standard carb-heavy meals?  Like  70-80 carbs for breakfast, 60-70 for lunch, 65-75 for dinner and 15 for a bedtime snack and other carb snacks as needed through the day?
He eats a normal carb diet. He does not have a snack before bed and we eat between 5-6 pm at night.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 11:11:13 AM »
Ineverything,

When your little one goes to the rest room so much is it a lot every time. I mean a whole lot! If so then that is when you really should be checking diabetes. If not I would start giving cranberry juice or tablets and treat with garlic sandwiches (my children love them with cheese) if it were me. As well as make him leave things alone. At the age of six was when my first son was dignoised. when he went it was like a river flowing every thirty min. or so. Then our third son at six had us worried with going to the bathroom alot (but it would just trickle) and complaining about things hurting. I do think little boys go through a stage like that were they are noticing things. I would check his blood sugars regularly like GiGi said. I would do it thirty min after meals and see how his body is dealing with food. When you have a son going to the bathroom a lot from diabetes then it is because he has a lot of sugar that he is trying to rid his body of.

Gigi
Thanks for that I may try it. One of the diabetes ed. Recommended the same thing but then he leveled out for a while. These past two weeks his sugars have been great. Now they are acting up again. Going very high. There is sickness going around at church and I have noticed that that does make his sugars go up. I am thinking hormones have a lot to do with it to. The hard thing is once we move the insulin up he starts going low again and we have to move it back down or further down again.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
Ineverything,

When your little one goes to the rest room so much is it a lot every time. I mean a whole lot! If so then that is when you really should be checking diabetes. If not I would start giving cranberry juice or tablets and treat with garlic sandwiches (my children love them with cheese) if it were me. As well as make him leave things alone. At the age of six was when my first son was dignoised. when he went it was like a river flowing every thirty min. or so. Then our third son at six had us worried with going to the bathroom alot (but it would just trickle) and complaining about things hurting. I do think little boys go through a stage like that were they are noticing things. I would check his blood sugars regularly like GiGi said. I would do it thirty min after meals and see how his body is dealing with food. When you have a son going to the bathroom a lot from diabetes then it is because he has a lot of sugar that he is trying to rid his body of.

It is a lot of pee, I have been checking.  He'll even not drink any water in between and then still have a lot of pee.  This afternoon he has been going every twenty minutes.

Thank you Gigi--  I believe I have a neighbor with diabetes.  I will check with DH and then give them a call.  
My son is not dizzy or anything.  He is extra emotional (growth spurt?).  He gets up sometimes at night to go pee but hasn't wet the bed.  I suppose he would get A LOT sicker if he really has diabetes.  I am just being a little more proactive because of our trip coming up.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »
He wouldn't be sicker as my son was in the jym running and playing with the other children. Didn't seem like anything was wrong at all except : drinking lots of water, starving as in eat huge amounts and ten min. later wanting more and running to the rest room a lot. It took me two or three months to figure it out.

I would personally take him to a natural path or reflexogest. you have an opportunity here that the rest of did not have. You may could get it before it goes too far. What a blessing from the Lord.

Patty I have been following your thread on your son and I think that it is interesting. I am battling something now that looks like Celia of the skin. It started after my last baby were I was given antibiotics for group b strep. As well as I had a c-section. I have an Aunt that did the same and afterwards was dignoised with Celiac. My mom and grandmother has it as well. I have been thinking it is from something being out of wack in the gut but didn't think it was candida as spit test is always negative. mine will float all day. What a mystery. Oh  how I wish I could find a good DR or natural path that would do the test and help me and my children.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:52:09 PM by amandas5boys »

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2009, 02:37:41 PM »
He wouldn't be sicker as my son was in the jym running and playing with the other children. Didn't seem like anything was wrong at all except : drinking lots of water, starving as in eat huge amounts and ten min. later wanting more and running to the rest room a lot. It took me two or three months to figure it out.

I would personally take him to a natural path or reflexogest. you have an opportunity here that the rest of did not have. You may could get it before it goes too far. What a blessing from the Lord.

What wonderful encouragement...thank you!  Would it be enough to follow a Weston A Price way of eating or would I benefit from a good natural doctor as well?  I guess it is time to explore the rest of the thread and find out what may be helpful.  I have skimmed quickly through but I most likely missed some things.

I will pray for your kids and what you are going through.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2009, 04:45:54 PM »
In Everything,

I wanted to mention that if you do ask your neighbor about using their meter, be sure to use a NEW lancet in the finger pricker thingy.  The best way would be to NOT use the automatic finger pricker tool, simply jab his finger with the NEW lancet.  That way there will be no concern about transmittable diseases.

Also, dh, (the smart one in the family) was reading this tonight and mentioned that your son's symptoms may line up with diabetes insipidus.

I found the wiki page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus

He said that excessive thirst and urinating without a high blood sugar would be possible symptoms.  This is a very rare disease and is actually totally unrelated to diabetes mellitus (blood sugar problems.)

I wanted to be sure to mention it to you just in case.

HTH

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »

Patty I have been following your thread on your son and I think that it is interesting. I am battling something now that looks like Celia of the skin. It started after my last baby were I was given antibiotics for group b strep. As well as I had a c-section. I have an Aunt that did the same and afterwards was dignoised with Celiac. My mom and grandmother has it as well. I have been thinking it is from something being out of wack in the gut but didn't think it was candida as spit test is always negative. mine will float all day. What a mystery. Oh  how I wish I could find a good DR or natural path that would do the test and help me and my children.

Amanda,

If you are interested, my ND (who is in another state from me) will actually do phone consults and will order whatever tests need to be done.  I would be happy to share his info with you.  He may also know of someone closer to you that you could use.  The way I've been doing it is having him tell me what tests he wants run then I have my regular doctor here order the tests and send the results to my ND in OR.  I do have a very cooperative medical doctor so that helps.  Is your medical doctor such that he/she would be willing to do this?  If so, it would be worth talking to my ND.  He literally saved my son's life.  We are almost 6 months into working with him and my son is so much better it's unbelieveable.  He is a normal child now.  His gut is healing really well. 

Anyway, you can let me know if you want his name/number.  He calls me so there is no charge to us. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »
In Everything,

I wanted to mention that if you do ask your neighbor about using their meter, be sure to use a NEW lancet in the finger pricker thingy.  The best way would be to NOT use the automatic finger pricker tool, simply jab his finger with the NEW lancet.  That way there will be no concern about transmittable diseases.

Also, dh, (the smart one in the family) was reading this tonight and mentioned that your son's symptoms may line up with diabetes insipidus.

I found the wiki page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus

He said that excessive thirst and urinating without a high blood sugar would be possible symptoms.  This is a very rare disease and is actually totally unrelated to diabetes mellitus (blood sugar problems.)

I wanted to be sure to mention it to you just in case.

HTH

That is very interesting about diabetes insipidus, I will be looking more into that later in the day.

My DH decided we may as well just feed him a healthier diet no matter what the cause of his symptoms.  We are also encouraging more exercise.  We decided not to have the neighbor check his blood sugar, my husband figures we will just keep him off the excess carbs and sugar and then wait and see.  More healthy fats, etc.

I will let you all know if anything changes! Another thing that may tell us it is not diabetes is that he is not wetting the bed or having accidents. I have noticed him getting up a night to go but I don't know about every night.  Time will surely tell in this case.

Is there anything else we can do at home to help? Supplements?  I am giving him more fish oil now.

Gigi-- how do you make your garlic sandwiches?  Sounds good!

You are all so sweet and God has used you to really encourage me.  I am praying for your children.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I think that was me that you saw the garlic sandwiches and the way we do its mayo, fresh pressed garlic, melt some cheese on top. thats it.

could you afford to go to walgreens and get a disposable meter. I think it would be worth it. Not sure how much they cost (i am thinking not more than $20) but when we were there we ran out of strips for ours and that one worked out great for us.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
could you afford to go to walgreens and get a disposable meter. I think it would be worth it. Not sure how much they cost (i am thinking not more than $20) but when we were there we ran out of strips for ours and that one worked out great for us.

I never heard of a disposable meter. How many times can it test ones sugar before it gives out?

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »
The disposable meter is the box of strips with the meter as the top. You use it until the strips run out.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »
Just an update on my son.  Considering that we are leaving on a long roadtrip w/o my DH, I was extra stressed about my son's symptoms.    I went ahead and had his after meal blood glucose tested.  It was normal as well!  125.  I just wanted to let all of you know who were "musing" over this with me.  Thank you again!  I am pretty sure his doctor thinks I am a nut case.

His symptoms are still there but we are taking away sugar, knowing it will help physically no matter what, but also to motivate him to stop any of this that may be behavior related.  His symptoms get worse as the day progresses.  He is the most hungry in the afternoon and gets frantically thirsty towards bedtime.  "my mouth and throat feel dry".  So, this is all still a mystery to me but at least I can leave on my trip w/o the feeling that he may go into a coma at anytime.  I know God is in control!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 07:55:15 PM »
Just an update on my son.  Considering that we are leaving on a long roadtrip w/o my DH, I was extra stressed about my son's symptoms.    I went ahead and had his after meal blood glucose tested.  It was normal as well!  125.  I just wanted to let all of you know who were "musing" over this with me.  Thank you again!  I am pretty sure his doctor thinks I am a nut case.

His symptoms are still there but we are taking away sugar, knowing it will help physically no matter what, but also to motivate him to stop any of this that may be behavior related.  His symptoms get worse as the day progresses.  He is the most hungry in the afternoon and gets frantically thirsty towards bedtime.  "my mouth and throat feel dry".  So, this is all still a mystery to me but at least I can leave on my trip w/o the feeling that he may go into a coma at anytime.  I know God is in control!

Ineverything, this still sounds like food allergies to me.  His reactions/responses are so much like my sons.  Same issues with the blood sugar and everything.  We even worried about type I with my DS.  I would encourage you to have an ELISA test run on him. 

patti

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »
Hello--  We are back from our trip.  My son's symptoms are the same.  He has lost a little weight.  I am going to call my doctor to see if he will help me investigate this more.  I will look into allergies as well Patti.

My question this time for you is whether or not diabetes symptoms get worse at night.  He gets unusually cranky at night and pees and drinks more frequently.  In the mornings the symptoms mellow out a bit.  
I keep praying this will just go away...I don't really know what to think?? I also had him drinking cranberry juice during our vacation in case this is an infection.
Thanks

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »
Hello--  We are back from our trip.  My son's symptoms are the same.  He has lost a little weight.  I am going to call my doctor to see if he will help me investigate this more.  I will look into allergies as well Patti.

My question this time for you is whether or not diabetes symptoms get worse at night.  He gets unusually cranky at night and pees and drinks more frequently.  In the mornings the symptoms mellow out a bit.  
I keep praying this will just go away...I don't really know what to think?? I also had him drinking cranberry juice during our vacation in case this is an infection.
Thanks

Yep.  My son was worse as night (not from diabetes).  I think personally it's because he was eating stuff all day long he was allergic to and by nighttime his body was just whacked out.  One thing I learned after the fact is if someone has food allergies the body tries to eliminate the toxins created by the allergy by increasing their thirst so they'll pee the toxins out.  So, if he's been eating something he's allergic to all day, by nighttime his body is going to feel like it's overloaded with toxins.  That will make him thirsty, which will make him pee more.  Make sense? 

I just sent you a PM also.  I'm pretty dern sure this isn't diabetes if that makes you feel any better!   ;D

patti