Author Topic: Is all cast iron created equal?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
Is all cast iron created equal?
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:03:27 PM »
I have been looking at cast iron dutch ovens and have come across a large price gap.  Are there some cast iron that is better than others?  How do you know what to look for in cast iron?
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Is all cast iron created equal?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »
You are right about the price difference. 

Just from my own experience, I can tell a difference in quality in some of my cast iron pans.  The better quality pans don't have surface pits or flaws.  The better quality pans keep their seasoning longer and heat more evenly. 
I would be uneasy with 'cheap' cast iron pans from foreign companies, as they may not have the quality control.  There have been far too many instances in recent years of toxic substances found in dishes, cookware, toys, etc.. 

I probably have pans and skillets from at least 5 manufacturers and my favorites are the Lodge and the Wagner pans.  I'm not fond of the pre-seasoned pans, as I prefer to season my own.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »
Thanks that is helpful.  What about the enamel covered cast iron like le creuset?
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:41:26 PM »
Some threads that might help:

Non-Teflon: How to keep food from sticking

Which Dishes?

Blessings ~herbalmom