Author Topic: Black Chickens?  (Read 6106 times)

Offline mauimom

• Adept
Black Chickens?
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:53:13 PM »
Has anyone tried black chickens?   A gourmet grocery store here is advertising them for sale.  I have never heard of them, let alone tried one.  They say they are revered in Asia for their medicinal properties.  I'm not sure I could eat black meat.

Offline Godismyjudge:)

• Adept
Re: Black Chickens?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
Has anyone tried black chickens?   A gourmet grocery store here is advertising them for sale.  I have never heard of them, let alone tried one.  They say they are revered in Asia for their medicinal properties.  I'm not sure I could eat black meat.

Yes, Black Australorps, etc. Colored chickens are esp. prized in the Asian food market. I don't remember the particulars, but it has to do with something spiritual. They are black or grey skin (skin only is colored, not the meat)...where here in the USA, light skinned breeds are preferred, or you just skin them so they look nicer. There is nothing healthier about them, as far the breed. Only thing that affects nutritional value is the way they are raised and fed.
 I did talk to a farmer who raises all the dark colored and speckled/mottled ones..and asked why. He makes good money from selling them to the Asian market. They, of course, must butcher them themselves.
 Interesting, though~

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »
They have a different ( I would describe it as more gamey) flavor from your average chicken. The ones I've seen are less hybridized and more heirloom and from that perspective may grow slower and be more nutritious at butchering size.
Most of my friends from other cultures and countries despise the bland flavor of the standard meat chicken here in the US and can't wait to get a "real" slower maturing, free range chicken to cook with.

***I was thinking about the black chicken I've seen and had, and they were, I think, Silkie crosses not full silkies. Probably more meat that way, and not so cute.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:58:03 AM by boysmama »

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:37:48 AM »

The meat is black or the feathers are/were black? We've raised black (feathered) chickens for a few years now, and honestly, there is no difference in taste from our black ones to our reds to our whites. It's the diet of the chicken that makes the difference. Our chickens are free-range, and they have access to plenty of minerals, grass and bugs. Also plenty of leftover veggie scraps, rubbery oatmeal and old bread. I'm sure THAT makes a difference!  :D ;D

I don't think I've ever seen black chicken meat.....except burnt on the grill, of course.  ;)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »
A couple articles talking about the possible scientific reason black chicken has a reputation as a medicinal.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/280962/what_is_a_black_chicken_the_new_superfood.html?cat=22

http://www.physorg.com/news77370660.html

And...Black to the Bone....
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/280962/what_is_a_black_chicken_the_new_superfood.html?cat=22

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/17/dining/17blac.html
 An article with a picture of black chicken in a curry sauce.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:01:57 AM »
Thanks for the articles, boysmama. I foresee a new project in the spring for us!
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
Thanks for the articles, boysmama. I foresee a new project in the spring for us!

I was just thinking the same thing!   :D

Thanks for all the input.