Author Topic: What if an egg freezes? Is it safe to eat?  (Read 37416 times)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
What if an egg freezes? Is it safe to eat?
« on: February 02, 2010, 05:41:36 AM »
We've had alot of cold weather this winter and sometimes our eggs freeze.  And other times, like this morning they are so cold I can't tell if it's froze or not.  I guess I could crack it open, but I don't need an egg right now. :)

Can you eat an egg if it froze?

thanks
wendy

Offline Godismyjudge:)

• Adept
Re: What if an egg freezes? Is it safe to eat?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:50:15 AM »
  You can, in one circumstance. ;)
If it freezes and expands so that you get a crack running up the side, then no, bacteria can be on it, I wouldn't eat it. It would be fine for pets, though.
 If it's just frozen and not cracked, then bring it inside, and let it sit on the counter till it gets room temperature, then you can refrigerate it. There shouldn't really be any taste difference.
 FYI, don't stick a frozen egg in warm/hot water  ::). I did that more then once, forgetting about it, and it breaks open from the dramatic difference in temperature!  ;D

LOL I hope this helps.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:20:33 AM »
We've always used our frozen eggs with no problem.  If they are badly cracked we just put them in a cereal bowl in the fridge and let it thaw slowly.  Since we don't eat them raw, I've never worried about bacteria and none of us has croaked yet.   :D

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
Thanks guys.  This makes me feel so much better.  We've been chucking the ones that were cracked, and a few that weren't.  But now I know we don't have to waste them.  Eggs are few in the winter as it is! ;)

wendy

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:07:04 AM »
Yep, we eat our frozen ones, too. But only if we know they are only a day or so old. This batch of chickens has an uncanny ability to hide their eggs, and then we are never sure how old they are by the time we find them.

So, if we suspect that they have been laying around a few days AND they are cracked, well, OUT they go (mostly b/c we have an old dilapidated barn w/lots of old raccoon/bat/cat/whatever dung). If they are not cracked, but just cold, then they are keepers. And if we are lucky enough to find eggs in the nest boxes (the girls were nice to us that day), we thank the Lord and have omelets for breakfast.  :D

"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:21:15 AM »
Our older chickens lay in the boxes, but those new ones from last spring are laying on the stall divider between them and the horse?  Weird.   ::)

By the way, the background on here now is really nice.  :)

wendy