Author Topic: Cloth Wipes  (Read 38900 times)

Offline blondiegreen

• Adept
  • Summer 2009
    • Greener Living Soap Nuts
Re: Cloth Wipes
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
Do you all think old receiving blankets would work well, cut and zig-zagged, as wipes?  I have SO many and I'd like to recycle my least favorite ones...

Thanks for the suggestion, blessed, on making it a sewing project...I think dd would LOVE to make these!  :)

I had the same thought.  When I got my serger for Christmas I did that with one of the old recieving blankets.  They just don't work very well for me though because I am always unprepared when baby is poopy.  I don't smell it and then I pull of his diaper and I can't walk away and get a wipe wet.  Poop would be everywhere by the time I returned.  I haven't read this thread though so maybe there is some way of keeping cloth wipes wet but not moldy?

I make my own wet wipes solution. I put some Brita water on the stove (maybe 2 or 3c), let it boil for a few minutes, then add a bit of baby oil (or olive oil) and baby shampoo. (maybe 1Tbsp each) I then layer the wipes in an old wipes box and pour the solution on. I've never had it go moldy or yucky. Boiling the water helps with that. But then, I go through that box of cloth wipes in about 3 days.
Natural Laundry Detergent & Cleaning Products
www.buysoapnuts.com

Offline cinmama

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
I bought some hemp wipes thinking i was going to love them, but they are too rough, and TOO absorbent!  They eat up all of my wonderful baby-bits solution. 

What i do love, though, is my homemade wipes from old receiving blankets.  Much softer.  Much cheaper.  Easy to make.  Great idea!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 11:49:36 AM »
Do you all think old receiving blankets would work well, cut and zig-zagged, as wipes?  I have SO many and I'd like to recycle my least favorite ones...

Thanks for the suggestion, blessed, on making it a sewing project...I think dd would LOVE to make these!  :)

I had the same thought.  When I got my serger for Christmas I did that with one of the old recieving blankets.  They just don't work very well for me though because I am always unprepared when baby is poopy.  I don't smell it and then I pull of his diaper and I can't walk away and get a wipe wet.  Poop would be everywhere by the time I returned.  I haven't read this thread though so maybe there is some way of keeping cloth wipes wet but not moldy?

I make my own wet wipes solution. I put some Brita water on the stove (maybe 2 or 3c), let it boil for a few minutes, then add a bit of baby oil (or olive oil) and baby shampoo. (maybe 1Tbsp each) I then layer the wipes in an old wipes box and pour the solution on. I've never had it go moldy or yucky. Boiling the water helps with that. But then, I go through that box of cloth wipes in about 3 days.

That's great!  My next project.  I'm almost out of wipes.  Maybe I won't have to buy any more.

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
I use a wipe warmer with solution and that works great. Hubby loves it too. When we are out and about, I keep a water bottle with the same solution in it so when I have a mess I just squirt it on a washrag and I'm good to go. I can't stand the musty smell and this is what works for us. Plus, it great for going out to eat and because I put tea tree oil and lavender in the solution, I can wipe down yucky things with it. :) This idea is good for messy big people too.  :D

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 08:23:24 AM »
Both my dear Mom and my Mother-in-love sew beautifully, so I've been cheating all these years and leaning on them whenever a sewing project comes up.  I'm kinda feeling like I should start growing up in that area and learn to do some of it myself.

Ok, all that up there that I said, I take it back.  Have I confessed to the fact that I am extremely blessed and spoiled by my mothers??

Well, turns out, Mother-in-love, who is VERY excited about the new baby, found out that I was going to do cloth wipes - she TOLD me that she would send me some "just to see if they would work".  She used up some old flannel she had from her sewing projects for grandkids over the years, serged all the edges and made just enough to get me by (ONE HUNDRED WIPES!!!   ::))

Um, Yeah, Mom, I think these will work . . . .maybe . . . . (Uh, they're so cute I don't want to wipe up baby poo with them!!!)

Isn't she sweet?  I feel so spoiled rotten!!     :-[ 

I was so excited when I got the box, I thought you gals could be excited with me! 

YoopreMama

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »
Those are darling, Gigi!  How could you ever USE them?!  LOL.  :D

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 08:41:49 AM »
Wow! Those are so sweet! That might almost make diaper time fun.  :D

Offline andeebeth

• Adept
    • Our blog..
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 09:40:53 AM »
Aww...sweet! I see Hello Kitty wipes there..I'd have a hard time using those for that purpose too LOL!

Both my dear Mom and my Mother-in-love sew beautifully, so I've been cheating all these years and leaning on them whenever a sewing project comes up.  I'm kinda feeling like I should start growing up in that area and learn to do some of it myself.

Ok, all that up there that I said, I take it back.  Have I confessed to the fact that I am extremely blessed and spoiled by my mothers??

Well, turns out, Mother-in-love, who is VERY excited about the new baby, found out that I was going to do cloth wipes - she TOLD me that she would send me some "just to see if they would work".  She used up some old flannel she had from her sewing projects for grandkids over the years, serged all the edges and made just enough to get me by (ONE HUNDRED WIPES!!!   ::))

Um, Yeah, Mom, I think these will work . . . .maybe . . . . (Uh, they're so cute I don't want to wipe up baby poo with them!!!)

Isn't she sweet?  I feel so spoiled rotten!!     :-[ 

I was so excited when I got the box, I thought you gals could be excited with me! 
~andrea..wife to gabe, momy to five princes and one princess born 12/11/07~

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »
Good eyes, andeebeth!  Yes, there are Hello Kitty wipes!  I am thinking I should keep some separate that I *really* like and use them for maybe washcloths/face wiping cloths - they're bound to stay a little cleaner.

I suppose that as far as wiping poo goes, there is hardly any that is better/sweeter than baby poo, but unfortunately, it's still poo . . .

Aww...sweet! I see Hello Kitty wipes there..I'd have a hard time using those for that purpose too LOL!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
I Love These Wipes!!!

I had my doubts at first, but WOW -
they clean the poop soooo much better,
and they're softer,
and you can use a dry one first and then a wet one if you want,
and you can use them for washcloths for their face,
and you can use them as quick clean up rags for spit-ups,
and they are so much cuter,
and they're easy to wash/dry/put away,
and, and, and . . .

the designs on mine are so eye catching that my ds loves to stare at them!!  Wipes with entertainment value - priceless!! 

;D

Offline jessica

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 12:22:21 AM »
so as far as cloth wipes go, do you keep them wet or do you wet them as you use them?  If you keep them wet what do you keep them in? an old disposable wipe container?  What sort of solution do you put on them to keep them wet, or do you just keep them in plain water?  I think your wipes are cute as well.
Jessica

Offline blackbird

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 02:49:10 AM »
I was using a wipe solution recipe for awhile, but now I just use water.  I bought a couple of wipe warmers at the thrift store  and I just ad water to the wipes.  I now always have warm wet wipes on hand when I need them.  One set in the bedroom and another in the living room.  I haven't had a mildew problem as long as I keep them warm.  Oh and most of mine are from a flannel little mermaid sheet I bought a the thrift too.
Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

YoopreMama

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 03:11:44 AM »
I use water from the faucet most of the time (changing table is in bathroom), but have some cute, yummy baby-smelling cubes that get dissolved in water to make a solution in a spray bottle from KeswickHouse.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 07:57:52 AM »
so as far as cloth wipes go, do you keep them wet or do you wet them as you use them?  If you keep them wet what do you keep them in? an old disposable wipe container?  What sort of solution do you put on them to keep them wet, or do you just keep them in plain water?  I think your wipes are cute as well.

I keep them dry in a stack on the changing table.

Someone who is a genius earlier in this thread had the great idea to use the wipe warmer for just plain water, so that is just what I do.

Most diaper changes are a combination of a dry wipe to remove the wet goo, then a wipe quickly submerged in the warm water from the wipe warmer for the main clean up.  Then I usually follow with another dry one so that I don't close up the bum inside the diaper with any moisture on it.  Of course, my dear Mother made me plenty of wipes, so I'm not trying to conserve them . . .

I keep a bucket right beside the changing table with water/borax in it and I toss them all in there until I'm ready to wash.

I also have two small spray bottles (one in the diaper bag, one on a shelf by the changing table) filled with a wipey solution that was posted by some other genius person, which I use for "freshening" up.  It has TTO and olive oil in it, so it is just GREAT for the skin.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 08:10:36 AM »
I keep the wipes in an old wipe box, dry. I made a wipe water and store it in old contact cleaner bottles. I just wet the wipes right before I take the diaper off. Then I throw them in the pail with the dipes.

My wipe water is just purified water, a little natural baby wash or some liquid castille soap, a little oil, some eo if using just castille soap, and a few drops of GSE.

YoopreMama

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 10:23:59 AM »
Gigi's idea works great for us--dry wipe 1st, then wet.  ;D

I also like the size of the ones I got from someone here...they don't require FOLDING!  ;D  I can hang them up on the line, easily, too--2 per clothespin.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 03:25:43 AM »
I've never used cloth wipes, but I have some friends that do. They keep a little spray bottle with their prefered liquid, and mist the baby's bottom, and then wipe with a dry wipe.  it works like a charm.

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 03:33:54 AM »
My mom made us wipes out of scrap flannel (very similar to gigi's  ;))and I keep the stack in a small rubbermaid tote with the diapers and changing pad....and just wet them when I need them with just plain warm water. 

Then in the laundry room I have an ice cream bucket filled with water/peroxide and they go in there after I have rinsed them in the laundry room tub/sink.
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline AnnaBanana

• AnnaBanana
  • Adept
  • Aloha ke Akua!
    • Lilia Designs & YINIA!
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »
fastest way to cut straight squares is a rotary cutter & a ruler.  but since a cutting mat is costly, the cheap way to do it is with scissors, a fabric marker and  a ruler.  draw out your squares & then cut em out.  or give it to your kid to cut out.  mine loves doing it!!  :D
(nak)

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 04:50:56 AM »

Lots of questions here...

So, if you are NOT using the baby wash cloths as babywipes- and using flannel instead- isn't the flannel too soft to get the sticky stuff  ::) off the baby?
I just picture flannel as being really soft and not abrasive at all.

Are these flannel wipes sewn with two pieces of flannel?

Wouldn't you want to sew one side flannel and the other side muslin or something?

Thanks!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2008, 06:51:23 AM »
I haven't had any trouble at all getting icky stuff off.  I am totally loving mine.

. . . of course, breastfed baby stuff doesn't have the sticking power that solid food brings to the picture, so maybe that'll make a difference.

Mine are one layer flannel with serged edges, and I kinda like them this thickness so that I can get into the creases better.

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2008, 07:15:53 AM »

Lots of questions here...

So, if you are NOT using the baby wash cloths as babywipes- and using flannel instead- isn't the flannel too soft to get the sticky stuff  ::) off the baby?
I just picture flannel as being really soft and not abrasive at all.

Are these flannel wipes sewn with two pieces of flannel?

Wouldn't you want to sew one side flannel and the other side muslin or something?

Thanks!
I think the warm water helps with getting the stickies off without having to use anything abrasive against her soft, newborn skin - of course I am in the same boat as GiGi and the breastfed poopies are pretty easy.....but even when it was the meconium it was okay....and mine are one layer of flannel also.

they are holding up well to all the washings and line drying.

my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2008, 08:10:03 AM »
I've been using just the flannel wipes. They worked for bf only poos & now on solid food poo. I have even been washing & reusing the disposable wet wipes that are really clothlike.

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »
bump

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2008, 08:48:31 AM »
bump

Two layers of flannel sewed together usually worked well enough for wiping my five children's bottoms. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »
ditto to the double layered flannel. 

I have the Bumgenius one size fits all, and the inside is a very thin polyester fleece (like airline blankets are made of).  Now that we're eating solids, the poos just fall right off of it, as it's not absorbent.  Maybe you could make some re-usable squares of this fabric for washable diaper liners.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 07:14:57 AM »
i was wondering if anyone has one of these and if it's electric?  it seems to me a wipe warmer should be, so they stay warm all the time. i can't find any info online about that.  i wanted to do cloth wipes without running to the sink and waiting for our very slow water to heat up.  upstairs it's REALLY slow to get hot.  anyway, i also thought having them handy would encourage hubby to use them.  this is the one i'm considering:

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Warmies-Bamboo-Warmer/dp/B001QIN6ME/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262797053&sr=1-3

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 11:02:57 AM »
have you all ever thought about cutting up old white socks?? my husband is so picky if his socks start getting worn thin in the heels he wants me to throw them ALL out and get all new ones. So I cut them up with the inside loop side of the sock on the outside with a square of the ribbing on the other side, they make very small wipes but incredibly handy! the loopy side works very very well at getting baby clean! and the soft side is just right to finish it up.  ;D  now I dont feel quite as wasteful when I cut up good socks..

Offline rejoicing

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2010, 01:54:56 PM »
I just got the neatest stuff for cloth wipes...They are little cubes of soap that you dissolve/dilute for wpes solution.  they are so gentle, and smell great.  They are the soap bits from monkey butt designs on hyena cart.  I got the mokey farts scent...don't let the name fool you, they do smell good! LOL!

We prefer to keep ours made up in a peri-bottle and then wet the wipes before use. Most of my homemade ones are turned and topstitched double layer flannel, but some are flannel with microfiber, stretch terry, or velour on the other side.  I cut up old clothes/towels, etc. to make them.