Author Topic: Nail-Biting Remedy  (Read 2937 times)

Offline JohnsDaughter

• Learning
    • Literary Maidens Publishing
Nail-Biting Remedy
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:46:05 PM »
 :-[  I know I should practice self-control in this area, but I need a "program" or something to help me out.

Any suggestions?

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
Re: Nail-Biting Remedy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:54:37 PM »
Well, from my own experience, I think a combination of things might work:

1. Accountability. Because I really wanted to stop (and because ofttimes I was doing it habitually without being aware of it) I ask my family members to tell me when they saw me doing it. That would allow me to stop immediately, therefore breaking the habit.

2. Make your hands taste terrible. I know this sounds weird, but it also helped me. Find something that tastes awful to you and apply it to your nails. Could be raw garlic juice, nail polish remover, whatever. That little "shock" at tasting it helped me to break the habit. Just be sure to wash your hands again before you eat!

3. Prayer. God cares about every little detail in our lives. He cares about your desire to stop an unhealthy habit. Ask Him to make you aware of when you do it and increase your self-control to stop.

4. Recognize your triggers and counteract them. "Idle hands..." they say, and it was true for me. I bit my nails when I wasn't active. Watching TV, in church, etc. Once I realized that, I kept my hands busy all the time until the habit was broken.

5. Keep your nails trimmed very short. This helped me because my nails never irritated me (being too long) and they were too short to bite easily.

HTH!

kate   :P (<-- me, after biting my terrible-tasting nails one too many times.)  :D
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 05:44:08 AM »
It's very difficult to do without something else around to chew on (been there done that).  For me it was straws.  I bit my nails more often in movie theaters when I was young than any other time and chewing on straws throughout the movie beat it for me. 

Keep the nail clippers with you at ALL times.  If you get a snag or anything that would prompt you to chew, use the clippers.  Eventually using the clippers will become a good habit to replace the bad one.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline JohnsDaughter

• Learning
    • Literary Maidens Publishing
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:07:01 PM »
Thank you both for responding so quickly!  I appreciated it very much.

I've just started to "wean" myself from the habit... although I don't bite
and bite and bite, I will bite when I am nervous, scared or bored.  I hate it!

Two of my sisters also have the habit (I have been a bad influence being older than them), but we are all eager to stop it -- so the accountability idea will be perfect for us.

Thank you again!