Author Topic: Celiac not healed after 7 1/2 years???  (Read 9205 times)

Offline godsarmyof8

• Learning
Celiac not healed after 7 1/2 years???
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:51:36 AM »
My son is 10 yo and is now having odd symptoms.  He has been gf for 7 1/2 years and very light casien. We then went to raw dairy products all together and started the Nourishing Traditions/Price diet.  We have included supplements as well.  This diet has been progressing since August 2009.  We homeschool and I pretty much control his whole diet.  So I am trying to figure out where these symptoms are coming from.  The symptoms are constipation to the point of backing up, more tired and weak than normal, mind not as alert, pain above hips, hard gut, and having a hard time with digestion.  I am concidering leaky gut for all of us.

My questions are:  Is he healed completely?  Is there another issue?  Am I not adding enough fermented items?  Is it leaky gut?

Has anyone had a similar experience?
On a quest for my family's wellbeing; spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, and financially. Basically searching for God's Will for His people, finding truths and dispelling one lie at a time.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Celiac not healed after 7 1/2 years???
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:43:23 AM »
I would look for other food allergies as the culprit.  It's so so common for a person with celiac to have multiple food allergies (and odd ones at that).  I would also look at his digestion/absorption.  Is he taking a good enzyme (with oxbile) at all his meals?  Poor digestion/absorption will cause all of the symptoms he's having.  It's also very common in people with good allergies as they go hand in hand.  And finally, he may have a gut full of bad bacteria.  My experience with GF is the longer one is Gf the more likely it is for bad bacteria to take over.  There is something in the gluten that helps to keep the gut balanced and when we pull it out it causes bacteria issues.  You can try a candibactin BR (berbine/goldenseal) for a month to see if it kills off bad bacteria.  Make sure you repopulate the gut at the same time with a high powered probiotic like VSL#3 or Culturelle.  They can't be taken at the same time though or the berbine will kill the probiotic.  We find that we have to treat my son about once a year for bad bacteria build up due to being GF.

There is a good amount of information about this on the GAPS thread on WTM. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline and

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:59:26 AM »
I am not certain that leaky gut ever truly and completely heals.  There are arguments for both healing and not.  You can look at www.renewalenterprises.com they claim to have a plan for healing leaky gut.  As for me, my son is 3 and was born with a need to be GF, and had tremendous back up problems and such.  We used HMF Replete powder, (you can get the super intensive sachets from HLC at renewal as well).  It is a very potent probiotic.  He was on one sachet per day until he was having regular bowel movements and over the course of a year we gradually weaned him off and onto a milder probiotic regimine.  We too tried everything we could think of, flax seeds, extra fructooligolsaccharides, chicory root powder, and a flour free (even gf flour free) diet.  Truth be told it was the probiotic that helped the most.  Knowing what I do now I would also have put him on olive leaf for a while to kill the yeasts that built up in his system from all of the backups.  It would probably have taken less time on the super intensive probiotic. 
Mykidsmom has a point that it could be another allergy, and it could be a wierd one you would never expect.  It might do well to have him tested.  There could also be hidden glutens in the diet.  If you have ever used non-stick pans and still use them to cook for him they can harbor and release glutens into the food for the life of the pan. 
As for fermented items you might consider stopping them for a time, just for a time, because the yeasts that build up in the bowel of a person with a gluten problem, can thrive with the natural yeasts created during the fermentation, so if you are willing to try the olive leaf extract and the probiotic for a while (a good window -in my very inexpert opinion- would be about 3 months on the olive leaf because of the persistance that you are describing- and the probiotic for as long as necessary).  When you see his symptoms subside or go away I would keep at it a while longer just to get the stragglers, and then return to the lacto fermenting that you are doing, continuing with a lesser, daily probiotic.   

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:43 AM »
godsarmyof8
How's your boy doing now? I am concerned about the possiblity of a blockage. Also, I'd recommend looking into the GAPS protocol. I'm not saying it will heal his celiac, but it has helped many people recover from celiac and other GI problems, and it is very Nourishing Traditions/Price oriented, so you don't have to compromise on good nutrition.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline and

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »
He is having bowel movements almost every day now, but just in this past week I have noticed the yellowed stools and am wondering what could be causing them.  Other than that he is much better.  When he was 3 months old he had eczema so very badly one of our nurses at the allergist's had to leave the room to cry.  He is allergic to wheat, oats, (and at that we just went gf- he tests HLL negative for celiac, but the symptoms are there so our doctor supports our decision to remain gf) also allergic to eggs, dairy in any amount-even raw grass fed organic, garlic, onion, leek, shallot, chive, and cannot really have yeast.  I had to clear all of that out of our diet- and out of our house, because his allergy was so sensitive- and once our systems cleared out (I was nursing him at the time) the eczema has mostly gone away, though the dry skin type of eczema does tend to return in the winter.  Up until recently he has been thriving, but I am concerned that he may have some other issues- possibly related to leaky gut.  It's a battle, and after a while it's easy to give in to the desire to not want to be so vigilant. 

I have read about the GAPS diet a little, but it seems like it's already what we have done for the past 3 years.  Our diet has deffinately made improvements, but I doubt that it is a total solution by itself- at least for us, but I will look into it more now that I have found this site.

Chiropractic has actually helped a lot, my little guy is prone to lumbar subluxation and when he gets adjusted the bowel movements become easier until the subluxation returns.  Chiropractic frees up the spinal nerves to give the body's systems the right messages so that they work properly, one little bit out in one little spot can lead to a world of difficulty, but when righted, can lead to the beginning of healing. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »
One thing we have found with being GF is that a resurgence of bad gut bacteria happens at about the one year point every year.  We found this with both our son and DH.  We treated to kill the bacteria and used VSL to repopulate the gut simultaneously.  After passing some studies back and forth with my naturopath we have determined (for the time being) that once a year we will treat everyone for gut bacteria for two weeks.  We’ll do this until the ND can study and understand better why this happens and if there is a way to prevent it.

Apparently, gluten has some quality to it that helps to keep the gut bacteria balanced.  When one removes gluten from the diet on a long term basis then that balancing mechanism is gone and the body needs it. 

There is another thread here that has the links to the articles I’m talking about.  You might find them helpful.  When I see an increase in my DS or DH’s symptoms of food allergies then I know it’s time to treat their guts again.

Hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline khrys

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
I have been reading the GAPS diet book by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, and we are planning to start the intro diet in a couple weeks. 

http://gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html

It is much more than gluten free; this diet removes all disaccharides, which includes all grains, milk, sugar, and some beans and vegetables.  The book explains it all very well, and I am very interested to see how it works for us.
Helpmeet to dh since 8/99, SAHM to ds1 (3/05) and ds2 (12/09)

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »
I have been reading the GAPS diet book by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, and we are planning to start the intro diet in a couple weeks. 

http://gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html

It is much more than gluten free; this diet removes all disaccharides, which includes all grains, milk, sugar, and some beans and vegetables.  The book explains it all very well, and I am very interested to see how it works for us.

I did GAPS for awhile and felt so, so great! I know someone who has been on GAPS for several years, so it can be done. Honestly, it was too expensive! I hate to say that, but it really was out of the budget.Also, I was having really weird ear and teeth pain and I really was worried that the pain was because of mercury being mobilized. I can't be for sure about that though, but I do have other signs of mercury poising though.  Hopefully, we can start up again in the near future and see how it goes a second time around. That is the plan anyways.
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.