Author Topic: Avacado Oil  (Read 4247 times)

Offline dvbrd

• Learning
    • Surviving Allergeez
Avacado Oil
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
O.k. I was checking out a lot of food allergy blogs today. I'm always looking for new recipes to try out and came across this great site that has dairy, egg, and nut free recipes. One thing I noticed when checking out the recipes is that she used a lot of avacado oil in them. Does anyone have any experience with using avacado oil? I'd love to hear about it. I have used coconut oil in a lot of recipes and while I love it you can sometimes smell or taste it. My son, who has allergies to dairy, egg, and shrimp is usually turned off by whatever I'm making if he can smell it, too. I'd love to find substitute for it that is equally as healthy! Thanks!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: Avacado Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:30:53 AM »
I haven't used Avocado oil just b/c of the cost but the flavor is supposed to be good.

Please post a link to the blog on the GFCF thread- we can all use good GFCF recipes.

As far as the coconut oil & the smell/taste, I haven't tried it but there's refined coconut oil that still has the good fatty acids but has the smell & taste removed. It might be a good choice sometimes.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:39 AM »
I recently got a small bottle of avocado with rosemary at a discount store. We like it. The rosemary is really strong. It's hard to tell what it would taste like on its own.
High heat oil from what I saw. I've used it to scramble eggs and fry potatoes. Worked well, and took less oil as compared to vegetable oils such as sunflower (from what I remember as I've used mostly coconut, butter, or tallow lately.)

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
I LOVE avocado oil!  Sure is expensive, though.

It is fantastic as a salad oil - the green color is so pretty and the flavor is mild and tasty.  Not strong or offensive.  But, we like weird stuff . . .

HTH

Offline dvbrd

• Learning
    • Surviving Allergeez
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:13:11 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. The next time I go to the health food store, I'm going to check it out. I'll also post a couple of the blogs I came across that have good dairy free, egg free, and I think nut free recipes on the appropriate thread. I can't wait to try some of them out!