Author Topic: Lymph node removal?  (Read 12324 times)

Offline Jade

• Adept
Lymph node removal?
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:43:54 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with having a lymph node removed? A friend of mine is trying to decide whether or not they should allow a surgeon to remove a lymph node, and I was wondering if anyone has a list of pros and cons.

They have suspected lipomas. All of their blood work is great, doesn't point towards cancer. The lumps match the description of lipomas, but the doctor wants to biopsy one just in case, AND take out a lymph node. My friend is fine with the biopsy, but reluctant to have a lymph node removed. Lymph nodes don't regenerate, right? I mean, if once it's gone, it's gone... and I'm assuming it served an important purpose... then wouldn't you want to keep it unless there was a REALLY good reason to remove it? Or is it no big deal?
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline Currlygirrly

• Currlygirrly
  • Learning
Re: Lymph node removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
definately suggest she get a second opinion!!!! STAT!

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
definately suggest she get a second opinion!!!! STAT!

ITA w/ Currlygirrly!

Oh, please get a second opinion! Two years ago this month I had a swollen arm. The upper arm was a full inch bigger around than the other one. It sometimes ached a dull ache. I thought it was from stress (we built our own house) as being upset would trigger it, so I let it go. DUMB! What if it had been a blood clot? Well, that's what the md thought it was when I finally went it. When a sonogram on the arm ruled out a blood clot (praise the Lord!) he wanted me to get a mammogram and a CT scan, but Dh and I prayed and instead opted for medical thermal imaging (paid out of pocket for that) which showed what a dear friend w/ NO medical background told me it was over a table in a dark restaurant: lymph.

I then opted for massage therapy (again, paying out of pocket). The therapist really knew what he was doing. (As opposed to a masseuse I went to who didn't help.) Now, that was me. We prayed and sought other diagnostic (though some say thermal imaging is not diagnostic) testing and we kept an eye on it. If DH had wanted me to go the route of traditional medicine, I would have, but we both believed I should not have anything invasive done. Turns out we were right.

Every time I went to the therapist he told me that doctors would have just removed the blocked glands/nodes.

It might be necessary, but I'd get more than one opinion. Maybe more than two!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
It's been my experience (reading, research and hubby's surgery), that it's never, NEVER, did i say NEVER, a good idea to remove any part of the body you were born with before you've exhausted ALL other possible options.  There are ways to cleanse the body.

I would start with DETOX + or Dr. Schulze 5 day bowel cleanse.  I would start taking chlorophyll to help cleanse and purify the lymph.  And for the lipomas specifically, I would start eliminating ALL trans fats from the diet, taking mega doses of omega 3 fats (cod liver oil, 3/6/9s, flax, etc).  Here's an article with a few more suggestions for lipomas. 

http://www.electroherbalism.com/Naturopathy/Regimens/Lipomas_Regimen.htm

I tried to get my MIL to do this for herself, but the doctor has convinced her that eating fat caused it and so she has gone low fat diet and the lipomas continue to grow and multiply.

(remember fat dissolves fat but it has to be real fats not the hydrogenated clones).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »
Another wellteller (whose dh is an herbalist) suggested using mullien and arnica oil to help drain lymph nodes, if you have one that is blocked.  Just thought I'd mention that too. ;)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
Jade, I ran across this tonight, and remembered your post:

"There are between 600-700 lymph nodes present in the average human body. It is the role of these nodes to filter the lymph before it can be returned to the circulatory system. Although these nodes can increase or decrease in size throughout life, any nodes that has been damaged or destroyed, does not regenerate."

"Lymphatic drainage is organization into two separate and very unequal drainage areas...Damage disturbs the flow. When lymphatic tissues or lymph nodes have been damaged, destroyed or removed, lymph cannot drain normally from the affected area. When this happens excess lymph accumulates and results in the swelling that is characteristic of lymphedema."

There are pictures and such in the article that helped me visualize what they were talking about:
http://www.lymphnotes.com/article.php/id/151/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:48:45 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »
"Lymphatic drainage is organization into two separate and very unequal drainage areas...Damage disturbs the flow. When lymphatic tissues or lymph nodes have been damaged, destroyed or removed, lymph cannot drain normally from the affected area. When this happens excess lymph accumulates and results in the swelling that is characteristic of lymphedema."

Good point.  Here's what lymphedema looks like.

http://www.lymphadvice.com/images/lymphedema.jpg
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »
Holy cow, HB! Way to scare me into NEVER having a lymph node removed!!  ;D

Thanks for the info, gwen. That's really what I was wanting to know. I believe in not removing body parts, but really wanted something to back up my feelings on that.

I think the point of removing a lymph node during my friend's biopsy would be to see IF the lump is cancerous, if it has spread to the lymph node. But I'm thinkin', if I have cancer, I'd like to keep all my lymph nodes, thanks, anyway.  :) And if the lump turned out to just be a lipoma, wouldn't you be just a little bit ticked that you gave up a perfectly good lymph node for nothing?
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Castor oil packs are great for lymph nodes.  I've used them on myself and my husband more than onve, and it always works.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 06:03:43 AM »
HI, my 7yo has a lump under his ear, it is tender to the touch and medium size. Could that be a lymph node?

As a courtesy to the member who started this thread and those participating in the conversation and to keep subjects more organized and easier to find, please attempt to stay on topic as much as possible.

If the conversation triggers a new subject of interest, please search the forum for a more appropriate thread for the discussion.  When one cannot be found, start a new one.

7yo w/Lump under Ear, Dizziness & Headaches

If you'd like to have a more personal conversation that would otherwise derail the topic, please take advantage of your ability as a forum member to send personal messages.

Thanks.  ;D

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
Okay, I need another opinion. My friend's surgeon is "quite sure" that the lump is cancerous. So we chatted, and I suggested that they do a biopsy, but leave the lymph node alone. I had assumed that the reason for removing the lymph node would be to see if the cancer had spread.

But... here's where it gets tricky: my friend isn't sure, but they think that the actual lump itself might BE a lymph node (if it is, it is VERY swollen), and the surgeon says they can't do a needle biopsy, it's not good enough. They have to take the whole lump. Which means, if it IS a swollen lymph node/cancer in the lymph node/whatever, they're losing their lymph node no matter what it is. If that's the case, then they're stuck, and they're losing their lymph node whether or not they have cancer.

Are there any alternatives, or is that just the way it is?

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 05:49:07 AM »
A castor oil pack, or several, should reduce the swelling pretty quickly if it is a lymph node, and it will begin to heal after a few days, in my experience.  if it is a cancerous tumor, the castor oil packs have been an effective treatment for that as well.  You can do the castor oil packs several times a day, or even overnight for quicker healing.

http://curezone.com/cures/castoroil.html

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:56:52 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!