Author Topic: A choice (weightloss)  (Read 6862 times)

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
A choice (weightloss)
« on: April 15, 2006, 07:43:41 AM »
I have a continuous struggle with weight.  I dont have any medical conditions that make me this way- I just am blessed with a wife who is a wonderful cook, and I enjoy food a great deal!  A couple years ago, I became disgusted with myself- moreso with my lack of a goal and the results that had manifested in my life.  I got on the scale, and it looped around and pegged the meter and lost track somewhere over 300 lbs.  15 years ago, I was a weight room junkie, and was in fine shape.  How far discipline can take us- either forward or backwards- for me there is no middle ground.  Where I work, they send in the local hospital to do general checkups and bloodwork- I was borderline high blood pressure, and had high cholesterol (bad kind) and low cholesterol of the good kind.  That Christmas, my highschool buddy and Best Man at my wedding, and former weight lifting partner- came by the house- he too had ballooned to about 300 lbs.  We decided we were disgusted with ourselves, and a decision had to be made.

We took 2 different approaches to our problem.  He went the hard route- and counted calories and just didnt eat more than his body could handle.  He started some very moderate exercise, and lost over 50 lbs over the next 9 months.  I began the Atkins program, and every day I weighed myself and measured myself for progress- and I charted the progress in weekly cycles.  Over the next 9 months to a year, I lost 65 lbs (I have since gained back about 15 of it).  My bloodwork normalized as well.  After I lost the weight, I was searching for a form of exercise that was reasonable for my current lifestyle of husband and father of 5 kids.  I settled on the local Christian TaeKwonDo club.  I had a real hard time getting up to work out by myself in the morning, I just was too tired to make it happen- and it wasnt enjoyable for me anymore- it felt like a waste of time.  The TKD made all the difference in the world- it is terrific exercise for all of us, it isnt a waste of time because we are learning something extremely valuable, and it is something that my kids and I share between us- a common hobby that is ours for the rest of our lives- it is enduring.  We have been doing this for a year now, and the benefits are still presenting themselves- physical fitness, confidence, discipline, self control, closer family bonds through it, etc. 

I still struggle with how much I eat- but the experience of having lost the weight with Atkins helps me a great deal- I know the kinds of foods I should avoid in large quantities- I can feel the difference too.  My clothes fit- I had to buy some new ones.  I am much more interested in fruits and vegetables, and avoid more and more of the processed garbage that is fed to us all.  I now am enjoying working out again, especially when it has a purpose and there is a lot to be gained by my efforts.

I know what it is like to be on the other side- being largely overweight and lacking the willpower to do anything about it.  For me, that is why I chose the Atkins plan- I didnt have to exercise to lose the weight.  I found that the confidence that I gained by following what was in the book (dont learn it from what others tell you- read the book- vegetables are a very important part of this program) kept me going, and boosted my self esteem.  After I made significant progress is when I began moderate exercise with the TKD, and it has continued to get better and better.  Its a journey- the struggle is with the next step, not the destination.

Everybody faces different struggles, one of mine is with my weight.  Weight struggles are difficult to overcome, because they almost always are accompanied by a lack of willpower (a main reason why the weight is on in the first place :-) ).  If you are in a situation where you are struggling with weight, just know that you can do it, and it is worth the effort to start, even if it is the 53rd time this year you have started a diet.  What I found worked for me, was that I was making a lifestyle change.  I was committing to changing my life, and the weight loss was a side benefit to it.  I am now in much better shape than I have been in for years, we eat more healthily than we have in years- and we still have a long way to go.  I am not where I want to be weight wise, but my life is improving daily- and I am much better for having begun the journey than if I had chosen not to start because the destination was so far away.  You only have to go as far as the next step.

Step out on faith, you can do it.

G
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 06:30:03 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: A choice
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 11:16:21 AM »
Quote from: gusosceros
I found that the confidence that I gained by following what was in the book (dont learn it from what others tell you- read the book- vegetables are a very important part of this program)

If you want to follow this diet, I would also HIGHLY recommend the book "Protein Power".  It's basically the same diet, but the Dr.'s who wrote it (I believe husband and wife) are very thorough at explaining the significance of the effects of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels, and the digestion processes of mixing proteins, fats and carbs into the same meal.  It's very educational and would help most people understand how and why they store fat.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline homeschooltheheart

• Adept
    • The VBS Express
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 01:51:33 PM »
(I'm a size 14)
  I'd give up...naw....I'll just keep being an 18 until I'm not.  As far as I'm concerned (thanks to hubby  ;))  I think I carry an 18 better than anyone I know.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind being an 11 again (oh where have the years gone), but I don't think it's worth being unhappy over.  As long as I'm healthy and hubby likes what he sees, I've got nothing to worry about.

I'm sure you carry a 14 pretty good too (especially if your hubby thinks so - go with it!)  ;D  Don't worry about the pounds.  Focus on the health and if you need to lose pounds, they'll disappear naturally with healthier eating habits!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 02:33:27 PM by healthybratt »

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »
Thanks for the input folks.  In addition to the book recommendation Protein Power, I believe that the Atkins book goes over this as well, in pretty good detail as I recall.  HB, you are exactly right that it is important to understand why people create and store fat. 

I remember feeling OK about being larger, I had to FIND a reason to want to change my lifestyle.  I just didnt feel condemned about being larger than was healthy for me, then one day it clicked for me- when I wanted to go outside and play ball with my boy, and I was huffing and puffing, and couldnt handle the heat very well.  I decided that my healthy lifestyle impacted more than just me, even though my family loved me and accepted me as I was/am, that I could give them more if I took better care of myself.  I was also not wanting to set that example for them of being OK with bad eating habits.  I included them in my progress since I had made them the reason- and we went out to movies at important mile markers for me. 

I think what I was trying to get across, was that being healthy is hard to do (at least for me), but that it is worth finding a reason to improve.  I am at a plateau right now, and am again pursuing the next level of healthy living.  This site provides a lot of terrific information, and I am really looking forward to getting further on our goals to incorporating more raw food living this summer.  We have fallen in love with the idea, and have incorporated more natural elements to our lives as a family, but not nearly enough.  I personally have a long ways to go, and am looking forward to making more solid progress this summer- the next season of progress!!

G

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 05:38:16 PM »
Focus on the health and if you need to lose pounds, they'll disappear naturally with healthier eating habits!

Just to give you an update.  I've gone without sugar for 11 days now.  I did NOT give up eating.  In fact, I eat quite a bit because my metabolism has doubled.  I weighed today and I've lost 10 lbs without even trying.  I'm not even excercising at this point (that will come later)  I gave up the sugar to rid myself of candida and the pounds just followed.   ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 05:45:10 PM »
Wow - way to go! That's really great. You haven't done anything but stop eating sugar?

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 06:44:26 PM »
I gave up milk/dairy for 7 days and then started drinking skim and allowing myself american cheese in limited amounts.  Also not drinking milk with meals.  I read this slows digestion.  Drinking lots of tea, water, some coffee and koolaid with stevia.  I even created a milk shake with equal parts plain yogurt from the store and unsweetened koolaid (already prepared) with just a sprinkle of stevia.  I have allowed myself some sugar to get some fiber in my diet.  A piece of toast (high fiber wheat bread) with real peanut butter (no hydrogenated oils) only 6 carbs and no added sugars.  (On the protein diet if you're counting carbs, you get to discount any carbs that you eat an equal amount of fiber for - so if your food has 6 carbs and 3 grams of fiber, you only count 3 carbs) and I've been eating white rice (some starch), but that's it, no other sugars unless they are undetected (as in ham or bacon, etc).  No catsup, tomatoes, fruits, corn, peas, potatoes, little debbies, candy, white bread, cereal (except cracked wheat cereal - no added sugars there either - only gluten), chips - eating lots of greens, lettuce, chicken, pork, hamburger, eggs and tuna.  Pretty boring, but at least I can eat when I'm hungry.  At first you're hungry all the time, because of increased metabolism, but the apetite begins to shrink as you become bored with eating (HAHA!).
  My favorite herb book!!