Author Topic: Fast-Five Diet: FAQs  (Read 65808 times)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
Fast-Five Diet: FAQs
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:48:31 AM »
I am starting a new diet called Fast-five. You fast for 19 hours daily, then eat in a 5 hour window from 5 pm to 10 pm.

Anybody ever try it?

The book is here
www.fast-5.com/Fast-5-ebook100.pdf

http://www.fast-5.com/index.html

Over time, fasting for 19 hours everyday lowers leptin and insulin levels and makes your body burn fat better.

Offline Jade

• Adept
Re: Fast-Five Diet: FAQs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
I've never tried that diet, and I've never read the book, either. BUT I used to eat that way sometimes. I would not eat breakfast, not eat lunch, and then after I got off work, I would eat supper (between 5-10 pm). I don't remember exactly how often I did it, as it wasn't "planned", and that was ten years ago!, but it seems like it became something I was doing fairly regularly.

Maybe my metabolism is messed up, but it didn't work for me. I don't remember getting any thinner, and it seems like I was actually struggling more to keep weight off than before. This also seemed to set me up to over-eat, because by the time I hadn't eaten all day, I was starving!

Then again, I seem to be one of those people that does best NOT eating after 5:00.  I find that I lose weight the best when I skip supper, but not any of the other meals.
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
You can pick any 5 hour window of eating that you want.

And it is not an open invitation to binge. He says it is commen to binge/overeat during the 5 hour eating window at first, but it usually goes away after you have been doing the Fast-five for 2-4 weeks.   Your appetite goes down, and stomach shrinks some.

I am hoping this works for me. Any variation of Intermittent Fasting such as Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon is good for the body.

It helps Insulin Resistance, something I have a problem with!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:06:20 AM »
This totally works! I am on day 3 and I have lost 3.2 #. I even overate during my 5 hour eating window. Here are 2 videos about fast-five

http://www.clickorlando.com/video/22244129/index.html

a recent TV interview with Dr Bert Herring (the author of Fast-Five)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulpmWPRL2U

This woman mainly follows Fast-five and lost weight a size 14 to a size 6, a bunch of videos on her youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/hislivingsacrifice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GOE4Oq2jIo

This has been amazing for me. Fasting till 5 pm actually almost decreased my appetite, and wasnt that hard. I am usually a sugar addict, now I have broccoli and vegtables on the brain. Other poeple say they start craving healthy foods! My stomach is shrinking too!

The energy or whatever I have is simply amazing! I even exercised during the day!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:08:28 AM by herbs girl »

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:08:56 AM »
Keep us updated on this.  Once I'm not pregnant or nursing, I might try this. 
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 01:48:33 PM »
This diet is the same principle sort of as the Carbahydrate Addict Diet. The authour of the CAD Racheal F. Heller found out that by fasting during the day, and eating a dinner with carbs  and sweets, ect during the night all at once, she lost wieght. That is how the Carbahydrate Addict diet was born, and thats how she lost alot of wieght. Then she added that you could eat low/no carb foods during the day and then a "Reward Meal" at night.  Something about the Insulin release. The Fast-five diet has a 5 hour window, but some poeple use a shorter window from 1-4 hours and get along good that way too.

I have lost over 5 # and this is day 4-5 of the Fast-five. It is taking away my cravings for carbs alot and also It is lowering my appetite, and shrinking my stomach. I think this plan is good also because of the daily fasting, it is very good for your body, and is supposed to decrease risks of diseases, ect.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
New Benefits noticed  day #8 on fast five diet...
~Brain Fog is gone and Brain is clear and sharper, not sluggish

~Cravings for sugar and carbs have decreased from 150% to 5% or less

~Within a day or two of starting fast five,  I started craving broccoli, mushrooms, green beans :o ;D

~Ravenous appetite for eating has went down from 150% to about 30-40 % or so, closer to what I expect a thin person would feel!

~Face appears thinner, as if it was bloated before from eating alot of times a day.

~Stomach feels flattened, and I feel thinner than what the scales says almost

~My depressive mood has lifted alot and I feel more upbeat and cheery!

~Energy Energy and more Energy!!!

~ almost  #7 and this is day 8. I know some of it is water weight, but wow!

~stomach has shrunk so that it is more difficult to eat more. My body says, ugh you are full. really.  it is one of the "magic" side effects of Ffive

Its amazing! I have not eaten for about 18 hours and I am some  hungry, its complely bareable and so much easier than trying to stay on a normal diet in the day time. The author of the book, Bert Herring says that by keeping Insulin and Leptin low for many hours, it keeps hunger and cravings from going so high. The hunger I feel is a distant sensation, not a fainting, painful growl!

He also says that if you are not diabetic, you almost surely do not have low blood sugar. It has something to do with Cortisol, andother hormones. It also takes a while for your body to adjust to eating this way.

but I have energy, I feel good, just like my body breathed a sigh of relief and said, I like this way of eating! It has given me a sense of well being!

The Yahoo Group  for Fast 5 is here, It has more "personal experiences" of poeple t hat do it, also Bert answers questions on the group

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/messages
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:13:18 PM by herbs girl »

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:17:35 AM »
I haven't read up on this at all, but I was wondering, why is it that the eating window is in the evening? 

That kinda seems backward, as I always thought that the food you ate later in the day wasn't used up as energy because you go to bed . . .  Am I making sense?

Just curious as to what the explanation is on that.

Sounds like it is working great for you!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »
The eating window can be any time during the day as long as it is a 5 hour window. Its only 60 some pages long--a quick read here
 http://www.fast-5.com/Fast-5-ebook100.pdf

YOu need to read the book (see link above) and the FAQ are here...http://www.fast-5.com/faq.html
  Dr Herring answers the  "eating Late" ?? in the seconed question, but he says any 5 hour window works.

I think the theory is that you have more energy during the day when Dont eat than when you do. Eating food makes some poeple sleepy, as it takes more energy for the body to digest the food. When your body does not have food constantly, it makes more energy.
You have to read the book, the website and also the yahoo group http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/  is very informative too. Dr herring answers questions in personal email also ...
info@fast-5.com

Fast-5 diet questions and answers Youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/user/hislivingsacrifice#p/u/41/0GOE4Oq2jIo

A day of Intermittent fasting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6W4rAenfU

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:11:19 AM by herbs girl »

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 07:07:17 AM »
Reading this thread and the links struck a chord with me. I decided to give it a try. I am on day 6. There are some things that have happened that are the opposite of what I expected:

1. less appetite
2. no binge eating
3. feeling of energy during the fasting period
4. sleeping well at night
5. craving healthy foods

These are all unusual for me!

This has been surprisingly easy, even enjoyable! Originally thought I would try it for 2 weeks but I can see myself continuing.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Pr 3:6

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
I'm intrigued.  Getting ready to make a go of this; however, I have a couple of questions.

What is magic about the number 5 (hours)?

How do beverages factor in?  My only concern with beverages is coffee because I drink mine with milk and I think milk would be considered food.  I don't really drink much of anything else throughout the day except water (rarely a swig of fruit juice or pop).  I don't sugar my coffee.

Anyway, I *sort of* started this yesterday.  I'm actually cleansing right now with Detox + and it keeps me full anyway, so I thought it would be a good way to ease into it and possibly lose a few lbs while cleansing.  No scales here tho, so won't be able to monitor regular weight loss.  But if at the end of a couple of weeks, my pants get bigger, I'll notice.

NOTE:  I had trouble getting the PDFs to load.  Sorry, if it was answered there, I can't read it.

NEVERMIND:  Got it to download.  ;D

Not supposed to have coffee in my milk, but I think I will anyhow and see if it still works.  Can't hurt.  Still less calories than I'm consuming now.  I'll let you know in a month if it did anygood.  (if I last that long)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:32:13 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 11:40:17 AM »
I'm intrigued.  Getting ready to make a go of this; however, I have a couple of questions.

What is magic about the number 5 (hours)?

How do beverages factor in?  My only concern with beverages is coffee because I drink mine with milk and I think milk would be considered food.  I don't really drink much of anything else throughout the day except water (rarely a swig of fruit juice or pop).  I don't sugar my coffee.

Anyway, I *sort of* started this yesterday.  I'm actually cleansing right now with Detox + and it keeps me full anyway, so I thought it would be a good way to ease into it and possibly lose a few lbs while cleansing.  No scales here tho, so won't be able to monitor regular weight loss.  But if at the end of a couple of weeks, my pants get bigger, I'll notice.

NOTE:  I had trouble getting the PDFs to load.  Sorry, if it was answered there, I can't read it.

NEVERMIND:  Got it to download.  ;D

Not supposed to have coffee in my milk, but I think I will anyhow and see if it still works.  Can't hurt.  Still less calories than I'm consuming now.  I'll let you know in a month if it did anygood.  (if I last that long)

I'll try to answer your questions just from my SHORT experience:

magic 5 hours: i think the point is just to have the long fasting period. i find that i only need a 4 hour eating window. i just am not hungry for more after that. i try to eat from 4-8pm so that i don't have a full stomach at bed time. what i"ve done, and find works well, is at 4 i eat some raw fruits and veggies and a handful of nut or some homemade granola. Then at 6ish i'm not starving, and i can sit down and enjoy a really nice dinner with my family. if i'm hungry later i'll just grab something small and healthy.

coffee: i used to drink it with milk and sweetener and loved it. now i drink it BLACK which i've never been able to do before. it actually tastes good to me black. not great  ::) but good. we recently switched to organic coffee. the flavor is much better than the stuff we used to buy. i only have 1 cup in the morning then in the afternoon, 1 cup of tea.

beverages: i try to drink plenty of water throughout the day.

cleanse: i am doing a cleanse as well, the dr natura colonix. i think the idea is to have 0 calories during the fast period. the colonix states that is has 42 calories but i don't think it's enough to affect my results. it also fills my stomach up in the morning and i've wondered if that's helped to make this easier for me. i plan to continue the fast-5 after the cleanse is over, so we'll see.

*this week i've noticed a huge difference in the effectiveness of the cleanse. coincidence? i bet not.

weighing: i haven't weighed myself yet but have noticed an ever so slight loosening of the pants!

I'd love for you to try this and let us know how it goes for you!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:53:46 AM by guysgal »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:32:12 PM »
HB, I think Dr. Herring addresses alot of questions in the  Yahoo group here...http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/

I read through alot of old posts and found alot of information. I also emailed Dr. Herring and got a reply the same day--I think within hours.

That is a wonderful idea to do Detox+ with Fast-5.  I had thought of doing it also before I even read your post!  :D  I need to detox really bad, and I had  been  thinking of possibly try Detox+ or something similar anyway.

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 04:38:44 PM »

:D :D :D

i can relate to the afternoon HUNGRIES! about 3:00 i am so HUNGRY! sometimes it's actually painful! i make myself do something to keep my mind off of it until 4:00, then i start making myself something to eat. i have to eat a small meal around 4:30, then i eat dinner with the family around 6:00. if i try to eat too much at once, it makes my stomach really hurt! splitting up the meals helps me. plus-i can't eat too late at night or i can't sleep well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:47:24 PM by guysgal »

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 06:34:41 AM »
Gigi, That is so encouraging!

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 12:04:49 PM »
This sounds interesting. I'm curious to try it too. I had a thought, I take chromium polynicotinate to help stabilize my blood sugar.( my np suggested it and it's not grown in yeast) It may help with the starving feeling during the fast period.When I take it, I'm not hungry at all, and I am always hungry. Lol. Do you all have enough energy to exercise during the fast period? And what does your eating look like during the 5 hour window?

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 07:32:14 AM »
healthybratt, that's great that you've lost 5lbs! i've got about 30lbs to lose too.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 10:09:06 AM »
If you are having problems with coffee, you might also try organic. Makes a difference for some people.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 05:35:00 AM »
Cool diet.  My hubby ate that way for years, snacked all he wanted after dinner, and stayed thin.  It was irritating.  ;D

One of my friends in school had the tiniest mom.  She was so beautiful.  When we asked her secret, she said she never ate during the day.  It was the only way she could stay thin. 

So, this has been around a while.  And definitely works.  Good idea!

Offline clarice415

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 04:59:23 AM »
Going good so far on the fast five..I am actually losing weight which is miracle for me!! For some reason I have not been able to download the book, it keeps coming up with an error. So I thought I would ask this question here~does any one know about taking supplements? Do they have to be taken during the 5 hour eating period? Any answers would be appreciated! Thanks for sharing this diet..it is actually one I can do and feel like I can stick with.  :o
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
Prov 14:15

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »
Going good so far on the fast five..I am actually losing weight which is miracle for me!! For some reason I have not been able to download the book, it keeps coming up with an error. So I thought I would ask this question here~does any one know about taking supplements? Do they have to be taken during the 5 hour eating period? Any answers would be appreciated! Thanks for sharing this diet..it is actually one I can do and feel like I can stick with.  :o

I don't wait until my eating window to take my herbal supplements and vitamins. I think since they have no calories it doesn't matter when they are taken. I DID decide to start taking my "fiber concoction" about 30 minutes before I break my fast. It's just psyllium and flax, so it's not really food per say, but it does contain about 100 calories so I wait to take it later in the day.

Glad you're having success! It's so encouraging!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
Herbs can be taken on an empty stomach but many vits & minerals need protein, fat, etc to be absorbed. So you won't absorb them if you don't take them with food.

As far as your fiber supplement, it might interfere with absorbing the vits, minerals, etc so you might want more time between taking it & eating- maybe 2 hrs instead of 1. Or take it in the morning.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Kitten Kisses

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 04:49:18 AM »
After reading the book online. . . I wonder if the fast five could be more successful by eating earlier in the day.  I've read somewhere that Sumo wrestlers eat all their food AFTER 3:00 pm to get huge. 

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2005/03/21/sumo_wrestlers_this_is_how_you_get_fat.php

There's a book on Amazon about it:

http://www.amazon.com/SECRET-Live-Slim-Strong-Dreams/dp/097974590X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267454879&sr=8-1

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:13 AM »
I have a hard copy on my PC.  If anyone needs a copy send me an email or PM and I'll send it to you.  It's a big file, so depending on your service, it might bounce back, but we'll give it a shot.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 07:48:16 AM »
Herbs can be taken on an empty stomach but many vits & minerals need protein, fat, etc to be absorbed. So you won't absorb them if you don't take them with food.
My research agrees with this.  I wouldn't waste my supplements by taking them without good fats and fats have calories; therefore fats would equal food.  I take all of my supplements during my window.  If I increase my fiber I take it at the end of the window.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »
This is really interesting.........I think I might join this bandwagon.   ;D
I need to figure out when I want to have my window..........does it have to be the same time every day? 
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 04:06:17 AM »
This is really interesting.........I think I might join this bandwagon.   ;D
I need to figure out when I want to have my window..........does it have to be the same time every day? 
yes
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline clarice415

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 03:35:05 AM »
Thanks for the info about the supplements. I was taking my supplements outside of the window..but started thinking about it because of taking Fish oil and EPO..those both being fats. I am going to take them within my eating time now. I have lost between 7-8 pounds (not sure how long I have been on..maybe 2 weeks or so).  All of your helps are so appreciated!!..one thing with me that I have done differently is that on Sunday we have our big meal after church..so that one day a week I do change my time frame..It has not seemed to make any difference. Every other day I do 3pm-8pm...but on Sundays I do 1pm-6pm.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:38:04 AM by clarice415 »
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
Prov 14:15

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 06:07:40 PM »
Could it be possible that the weight loss could also be from the fact that one may not consume the same amount of calories with in the 5 hour window that they would through out a regular day? Or do you girls think that you consume the same amount? I really want to try this.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 07:14:36 AM »
Could it be possible that the weight loss could also be from the fact that one may not consume the same amount of calories with in the 5 hour window that they would through out a regular day? Or do you girls think that you consume the same amount? I really want to try this.
Probably a little of both, but as mentioned in the book, it's easier to do this because you don't have to count calories.  Zero calories is pretty simple (outside the window) and whatever you want (inside the window) is a lot less defeating.  You can have that dessert (if you want it).
  My favorite herb book!!