Author Topic: The HCG diet  (Read 9817 times)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
The HCG diet
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
Anyone know much about this diet? Not sure what to think of taking a hormone to "reset" one's metabolism. Also, I'm thinking anyone would loose weight on 500 calories a day, hormone or not. I've been doing a little Google-ing...
http://www.hcgcompletediet.com/purchase?gclid=CMHMsPGUp58CFQ7yDAodvzG40w
http://hcgdietinfo.com/HCG-Diet-Information.htm

This article gives warning, but quotes the FDA which doesn't mean squat to me:
http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/07/hcg-diet-look-elsewhere-for-weight-loss/
'Nother one-
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/02/health/he-nutrition2

Speaking of 'squat' that's about how much I know about hormone stuff, but something just doesn't seem right.. I'm wondering how HCG intake could effect one's system.

Offline HCG Diet Info

• Wide Eyed
Re: The HCG diet
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:06:36 AM »
It is worth it, I lost close to 50lbs on the   HCG Diet .  I'm not going to lie and say it is easy, all I know it worked for me.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »
I was wondering the same thing here:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5930.msg82782.html#msg82782

The more I've been looking into weight loss, the more I keep turning to hormonal imbalance. But there is just something about HCG that just doesn't settle. Maybe it is just me?  Not sure yet. Wondering what everyone else can come up with.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:20:27 PM »
I have a friend that's doing it right now.  So far she's lost 25 lbs.

She goes to the doc once a week to get her levels checked.  The doctor gives her 7 doses of HcG, which is the hormone that a lady's body makes when she is pregnant.  It's the one that makes the pregnancy test turn positive.
Every day she gives herself a shot of this hormone.  She is limited to 500 calories/day.  HcG supplies up to 4000 calories/day itself.

Although it obviously works, I am just not convinced that giving myself a shot every day of pregnancy hormone is the best way to lose weight.  Out of every diet I have looked at (and I've seen a BUNCH of them), I believe that Anne Louise Gittleman's Fat Flush Plan is the best.  I know Nickole is down to a size 4 using it.  I'm between a 4 and 6 mostly using it. I think Rikki is also down a good bit from using it. I'm in shorts that I had ten years ago.

Also, I've heard a lot of good things about Mastering Your Metabolism by (of all people) Jillian Michaels who is the trainer on Biggest Loser. 
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15:55 AM »
I guess what sends up red flags in my mind about this is that you can't get what your body needs in nutrition with 500 calories a day.  I know that the idea is to lose the weight quickly and to not do the diet long term, but I would still be worried about the ramifications of this and the stress of it on your body in the future.
I would also be concerned that since the weight is coming off very fast with this diet, that when you are off the hormone, you will quickly put the weight back on as you haven't learned healthy portion size and balanced meals. 
I would also be concerned that many people aren't seeing MD's or being followed by a professional, but are using homeopathic supplements for the HcG on their own.  I'm not saying that a doctor is necessary for safety or validity, but chances are, if you have more than 100 pounds to lose, you aren't healthy.  If you then go on a starvation diet it would concern me. 

I guess my opinion is that it seems like another quick fix, and the new trend in weight loss.  I would worry that long-term effects haven't been studied effectively, and that by doing this diet could be dangerous.
I know that being morbidly obese is also a danger, so you might ask what's so bad about using the lesser of the two?
I guess this all reminds me of phen-fen from the early 90s.  I knew so many people on it, who lost a ton of weight quickly, and thought it was the best thing ever.  These drugs were used together (outside of FDA approval) without extensive study.  Turns out that many people (30% roughly) had their heart valves destroyed.

Like some of you... I just don't get a good feeling from this diet.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:26:38 AM »
I have a friends who lost a lot of hair while on this diet. Not a good sign.

Offline stac

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
I am currently starting the HCG diet.  I went to a doctor and got my HCG (which you have to be careful in the source of your HCG, you want human, not animal.)  I am doing the oral HCG (same as shots, just take under the tongue.)  I did two months of study into this before I started.  Kevin Truduea's book , "The Weight Loss Cure"  goes into deep details of the orginality of this diet and all the details and answers to your questions.  From what I have learned it sounds very good, I also heard that the 500 calories your are intaking feels like more because your body is burning like 3000 calories of fat daily with the hormone.  Again his book explains it in detail.  I would suggest speaking with a doctor of naturopath first.  That is what I did.  Maybe I will post my success when I am done.  I know it won't be easy, no diet is, but I have 50 pounds to lose after having 5 kids.  So wish me luck!!! ;)

Well, I did the hcg diet.  I lost 25 pounds which I have kept off for about 6 months, I was very happy on the diet.  Yea it does take will power, but you are not hungry.  I am nowstarting my second round.  I am doing shots this time.  Make sure you get real human hcg....the danger with homepathic I read is that you will lose th"good" fat.  Read Kevin's book, it really works like he says.    I suggest you study the book by Dr. Simeon "Pounds and Inches".  I would reccommend this diet to anyone.  As far as affecting hormones, I have found this not to be true with me or anyone I know.  I will post when I get thru with this second round.  Hope this helps. 
P. S.  This is in response to Tammi!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:26:11 PM by stac »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »
It will be interesting to hear of your results, stac.  Keep us posted.

Offline april

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:33:41 AM »
is there a such creature as "synthetic" HCG?
I'm not for this particular diet; however, several female relatives are dropping inches/pounds quickly and they are praising this stuff.

I've told them to tread with caution when dealing with hormone drops. I wish to lose weight, too; however, I cannot feel comfortable with this stuff...

I've just started to exercise as well as to cut my caloric intake. (it's working...but not as fast as some of my Aunties on HCG...)
Anyone have any trustworthy research links?
Thanks,
April

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »
I am currently starting the HCG diet.  I went to a doctor and got my HCG (which you have to be careful in the source of your HCG, you want human, not animal.)  I am doing the oral HCG (same as shots, just take under the tongue.)  I did two months of study into this before I started.  Kevin Truduea's book , "The Weight Loss Cure"  goes into deep details of the orginality of this diet and all the details and answers to your questions.  From what I have learned it sounds very good, I also heard that the 500 calories your are intaking feels like more because your body is burning like 3000 calories of fat daily with the hormone.  Again his book explains it in detail.  I would suggest speaking with a doctor of naturopath first.  That is what I did.  Maybe I will post my success when I am done.  I know it won't be easy, no diet is, but I have 50 pounds to lose after having 5 kids.  So wish me luck!!! ;)

Would love for you to message me and let me know how it went and were you able to keep it off?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »
You can buy HCG drops on your own, cheaper than what you would probably get in a clinic.
http://www.iherb.com/Nigen-Biotech-The-HCG-Solution-1-fl-oz-30-ml/28257?at=0

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
I was asked to post my HCG results on here.  My stepmom, who researches health things very intensely first told me about this diet.  I had been dieting and exercising (T-tapp plus interval training) like crazy for 3 months and had only lost 10 pounds.  I was starting to really slim down, as with t-tapp you kind of trade pounds for muscle, so it doesn't really show on the scale.  Either way, I thought it was silly that I had given up sugar entirely, at plenty of good clean protein, cut out all of the bad carbs I could think of, drank water all the time...etc, and yet my results were coming so slowly.
     So I started reading up on HCG.  I learned why it works, and kept in close contact with my stepmom, as she, even while going through menopause, was losing a pound a day, and feeling better every day.  I was sold, I ordered my drops and began the diet, sticking to the protocol completely.  The only thing I did not take too seriously was the "gorge days".  YOu see, you are supposed to eat like crazy for the first two days of this diet.  I did not do that, and did get hungry at first.  After the first 5 days or so, I was almost never hungry.  I even got into situations where I couldn't get home to eat, and still wasn't hungry. 
     I started losing about a .5 to a pound a day, and I had plenty of energy.  NOt only that, I was losing fat in places I couldn't believe. The book says that it reshapes your whole body, and they aren't kidding.  It give you an amazing shape.   By the end of it, I was at my highschool weight, and had lost 18 pounds.  My husband told me to stop because he thought I was getting too skinny, or I would have continued to lose.
     I was able to maintain my lowest weight until Christmas parties hit, and I just stopped weighing in the morning, or  paying attention to what I was eating.  I also stopped exercising, which is never good, no matter what time of life.  It was almost a self-sabotage.  I gained some weight again, and after a while decided to go on HCG again. 
     I am on it now, and have lost 23 pounds.  I did the gorge days, eating as much as I could for those two days.  I didn't get hungry when the 500 cal diet started, and I lost that gorge weight right away as well.   THere is  a wonderful clinic near me that can check to see if I have reset my hypothalamus.  I also have no idea why anyone would take shots now.  HCG has been in homeopathic drop form for a while, and at my clinic it only costs $21. 
     Side affects:  BEcause it is a pregnancy hormone, and my hormones were already way out of whack, I have had several mood swings.  IT also increases ovulation, so I have had more of those ladies days than usual.  INterestingly I have been battling hair loss for about 3 years or more, and since starting this round of HCG, I haven't had any probs with hair loss at all.  My hubby just told me that he noticed my hair looking thicker. 
     I learned from our local homeopathic health clinic that people don't do HCG just for weight loss.  It has a million health benefits on the side, and every time you go through another round of it, it helps remove the deep toxins stored in your body's tissue.   
    Well that is my experience thus far.  I would be happy to answer any questions that I can, or at least point anyone to the pros who can answer them more fully.  I have been perfectly thrilled with my results.  I even call it the lazy man's diet, because you don't have to exercise, or do much of anything, yet you can achieve your weight goals in a month or less. 
:-D   
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »
I have a friends who lost a lot of hair while on this diet. Not a good sign.

Hair loss is common any time you lose a lot of weight at once.  HCG stopped my hair loss, which was so sever I was balding in certain areas, but hair loss is common if you lose weight fast.  OH also, you have a lot of energy, so sometimes, again as is common with high weight loss, I have had nights where I needed very, very little sleep and felt fine. 
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »

I started taking the HCG drops 4 days ago.  I am doing this with some modifications.  1) I do not think it's healthy to eat the way they suggest.  So I am eating my usual whole food diet - although I feel less hungry and so eat somewhat less.  2) I am in the midst of treating with constitutional homeopathy and a friend discovered that the diet portion interfered with her h-pathic remedy so she had to stop it.  So I'm avoiding the diet portion so it doesn't interfere with my current treatment.

So I'm going to see how it goes NOT doing the diet but just doing the drops.  I do still exercise and lift weights.  I don't expect big losses like most people experience, but we'll see what happens. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Pallizzie

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »
Hi,
I just read your thread about HCG and wondered if you could share with me exactly how to use it. I ordered some online but have no idea what to do. I read what you said about gorging for two days - but what exactly do you eat for 500 calories? Maybe the drops will come with instructions.  - I sure hope so!

Offline tipibuildermom

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »

So I'm going to see how it goes NOT doing the diet but just doing the drops.  I do still exercise and lift weights.  I don't expect big losses like most people experience, but we'll see what happens. 

patti
So how's it been going?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »

patti
So how's it been going?

I did end up finally doing the entire diet for all of 6 or 7 days.  By day 4 after the first two gorge days I had had the runs for 4 days and I could not take it anymore.  I can digest most stuff really well but having large quantities of lettuce and spinach raw every day was way too hard on my system.  I bagged the diet and went back to what has always worked for me which is Body For Life by Bill Philips.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline tipibuildermom

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »
Sorry it didn't go well (or maybe it went too well!), but thanks for updating. I enjoy reading your posts.