Author Topic: Homemade Dishwasher Soap  (Read 103181 times)

YoopreMama

Re: Homemade Dishwasher Soap
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2009, 05:34:43 PM »
SarahK--Any update?
I have stopped using my home made stuff & I want to use it again - so can you help me figure out what my problem is?

After using the soap for ... 5-6 days or so (I do 2-3 loads per day), my dishwasher starts to get an orange film in places I'm guessing the water drains from last.  They get larger and then it starts growing in teh hinge area and in the steam vent area.  But if I use the store bought stuff 2 days - it's faded a lot and is gone completely in 4-5 days.

My theory is that I have some bacteria type critter in there and (a) it's not getting hot enough to kill it or (b) it takes the bleach type stuff from the store bought to kill it.

I don't know how to test my theories or if there are other ideas I've not tried yet.  Any brain storms?

Sarah K

YoopreMama

« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2009, 04:43:03 PM »
Great thread here...thanks for all the posts and suggestions.   ;D

I now have a dishwasher, and I used 1 T. of Borax/baking soda, w/ vinegar rinse.  Looks good!   8)

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
I don't currently have a dishwasher (except for me!) but a friend makes her own, and this is her recipe:

1 part Borax
1 part Washing Soda
1 part Cascade complete powder

Mix and use 1 tablespoon per load! I use white vinegar in place of jet dry and it works great! It is green and saves tons of money!

And she has icky well water, too.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
What is washing soda?  Where would I find it?  How great that someone has a recipe for this!

YoopreMama

« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »
What is washing soda?  Where would I find it?  How great that someone has a recipe for this!
I find my yellow box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda at local grocery stores but not W-M.

http://greenmartha.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/washingsoda.jpg

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2009, 12:28:50 PM »
Thank you!

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #216 on: December 13, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »
Has anyone found a recipe for a gel (liquid) dishwasher detergent?

YoopreMama

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:46:00 AM by Yooper »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »
Thanks Yooper, I want to try the gel dishwasher detergent with Dr Bronners Sal Suds.  I use the Dr. Bronners citrus soap with GSE, ect for a bathroom cleaner.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
Hmmm.  One uses Sal's Suds which looks like about $18 a quart....the other uses Ivory, and I'm not willing to wreck my $800 dishwasher with handsoap.....

Any other recipes?

I know from the past that the dry powders (ALL of them - especially including home made) do NOT work in my GE...however, gels (commercial) work amazingly well for me.  : )

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »
Hmmm.  One uses Sal's Suds which looks like about $18 a quart....the other uses Ivory, and I'm not willing to wreck my $800 dishwasher with handsoap.....

Any other recipes?

I know from the past that the dry powders (ALL of them - especially including home made) do NOT work in my GE...however, gels (commercial) work amazingly well for me.  : )

Where did you get $18  per quart?

At iherb.com, they carry Sal Suds for $8.86 per quart and I get 10-12% off of that price every time I order, plus free shipping if I order over 40-60 dollars. If its not free shipping, then the shipping is usually low.

http://www.iherb.com/Dr-Bronner-s-Magic-Soaps-Sal-Suds-32-fl-oz-944-ml/15876?at=0

Also Vitacost.com carries Sal Suds for$7.96 for one quart and $27.75 for one gallon

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&Ntt=sal%20suds

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #221 on: December 19, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
thanks herbs girl.

w/ my laundry (2 yrs natural ) I am just not happy about whites...they end up pretty grey & grimey after a while.  : P   adding natural dish soap to strip isn't effective at all, but neither is a bit of bleach.

I've gone to washing whites in Tide once a month or so...hate the chemicals and smell..but it does the job.  double rinse hopefully helps  ; )

Same with dishwashing.  I've tried every brand!  For our new GE d.w., nothing beats Finish Gel, just 1 T. in the cup, and a bit of vinegar in with it.  I am absolutely thrilled - it's the first time I've tried this product (sale, now I'm hooked) with how well it cleans...nothing natural (bought or home made) comes close...so I'm sticking with Finish, and pretty confident the long cycle and hot wash/rinses are getting ALL the detergent off, completely.

I like natural as much as I can (no xenoestrogens...) but, I just have to get CLEAN dishes.  With natural I spend just as much time REwashing by hand and shining grimey dishes as I did loading and emptying, lol.  We run 2-3 loads daily here....  : )  With kids, too, the Finish has been amazing.  I may try every other load natural (but I'll create a gel if I do, powder anything just doesn't work well for me in the d.w.)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #222 on: December 19, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »
I know what you mean.  I keep tryin the cheap kinds of laundry soap, and then go back to Tide with Bleach and use 1/8 cup for a super plus load. Surprise, but stuff comes out clean , whiter, brighter, at 1/4 or less of the price of putting in the right amount on the scoop.

Dishwasher soap, I try sometimes to get the kinds with no phospates, ect.  Aldi brand works well, and it seems more "natural"??

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2009, 06:30:32 AM »
As a courtesy to the member who started this thread and those participating in the conversation and to keep subjects more organized and easier to find, please attempt to stay on topic as much as possible.

If the conversation triggers a new subject of interest, please search the forum for a more appropriate thread for the discussion.  When one cannot be found, start a new one.

Here are some links to get you started. Please modify the last few posts and move or delete the parts related to laundry.
Homemade Laundry Soap (Detergent Free)
Homemade Laundry Soap
Fels Naptha Ingredients Reviewed
soap vs. detergent

If you'd like to have a more personal conversation that would otherwise derail the topic, please take advantage of your ability as a forum member to send personal messages.

Thanks.

~boysmama