Author Topic: Honey & Ginger Tonic??  (Read 3065 times)

Offline jessyru

• Adept
Honey & Ginger Tonic??
« on: October 01, 2006, 05:01:17 PM »
I was at the store and saw this. Then I read an article that it was very helpful for morning sickness (in case I ever have kids) and for general stomach upset. Anyone ever made a tonic? I don't think it'd be too difficult, but I don't have any experience making tonics. Thanks in advance!
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Honey & Ginger Tonic??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »
If I am not mistaken, a tonic is just a mixture of something.  Could be anything.  A juiced apple, carrot, and celery drink is considered a "health" tonic.  Etc.  Am I wrong on this, anyone? 
You could make your own honey and ginger "tonic" by brewing ginger tea and sweeten it with honey.  Easy peasy.  ;)

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:10:20 AM »
Oh, okay... just making things more difficult for myself.  :P Maybe I was thinking of a tincture... How much ginger do you use to make ginger tea? And if I bottled it and stored it, would it keep? Seemed like a kind of good thing to have on hand. Like an upset tummy syrup or something.  :)

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 04:21:25 AM »
When herbs are described as "tonics" what it simply means is that this herb is good for use in revitalizing, strengthening and healing the body towards an energized and rejuvenated state. Thus, mixtures, and often times drinks, which held these properties, have been referred to as "tonics."

Personally, I think Ginger tastes yummy and Ginger and Honey are excellent together, and I would just make a tea. Steep Ginger Root (available from the Bulk Herb Store) for 20-25 min. Add honey to taste. :)

You can also make a syrup out of ginger and honey. Boil 2 cups water, remove from heat, add fresh ginger while water is still boiling. Let steep, covered for 12 hours. Strain ginger out, squeezing juices out before discarding. Add Ginger Water to a jar of honey. Shake well. Let stand, covered, in a cool, dark, dry place, for 5 days, shaking twice a day. You now have a very healthful syrup good for all kinds of things. :)

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:34:08 AM »
When herbs are described as "tonics" what it simply means is that this herb is good for use in revitalizing, strengthening and healing the body towards an energized and rejuvenated state. Thus, mixtures, and often times drinks, which held these properties, have been referred to as "tonics."

Personally, I think Ginger tastes yummy and Ginger and Honey are excellent together, and I would just make a tea. Steep Ginger Root (available from the Bulk Herb Store) for 20-25 min. Add honey to taste. :)

You can also make a syrup out of ginger and honey. Boil 2 cups water, remove from heat, add fresh ginger while water is still boiling. Let steep, covered for 12 hours. Strain ginger out, squeezing juices out before discarding. Add Ginger Water to a jar of honey. Shake well. Let stand, covered, in a cool, dark, dry place, for 5 days, shaking twice a day. You now have a very healthful syrup good for all kinds of things. :)

Perfect! Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for!!  ;D

Oh... how much honey should I use?

Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:39:14 AM by jessyru »

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 06:28:13 PM »

Perfect! Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for!!  ;D

Oh... how much honey should I use?

Thanks again!!

I'm so bad w/ measurements...from piano to cooking to herbs, I play it all "by ear!"  ::)

No but seriously, I don't follow recipes very well, most things are by sight/taste/smell... I would just mix the syrup as it looks right. When I said add the Ginger Water to the Honey in a jar, I was thinking of a quart sized jar. Hope that helps! They're available at WalMart in the jarring/canning/cooking section in cases of 12.