Author Topic: Voice Tonic  (Read 10485 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Voice Tonic
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:45:01 AM »
Okay, I'd like some help developing a sort of voice tonic for singers and/or speakers. It's so easy to dry out those vocal chords under lights, air conditioning and standing in front of a crowd of people. I'm looking for something that will keep the speaker/singer hydrated, the sinuses and vocal chords free of congestion and preserve the voice without strain. -- And, as I consider it, it would be nice to boost the immune system while in a crowd.

I'm thinking along the lines of something with licorice, lemon, honey, filtered water, peppermint and I don't know what all else. I thought about a strong cup of Kombucha, but that might not be to everyone's taste, although it would certainly take care of congestion.

Another thing I'm wondering is whether any of you have come up with a favorite container to use while at a podium. A cup could easily tip over, but a sports bottle might be too much to fiddle with while speaking(?). What other containers work well?

Has anyone come up with something that will serve this purpose? I'd like to benefit from your recipes/hints. Thanks!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline SarahK

• Master
Re: Voice Tonic
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 09:54:43 AM »

Another thing I'm wondering is whether any of you have come up with a favorite container to use while at a podium. A cup could easily tip over, but a sports bottle might be too much to fiddle with while speaking(?). What other containers work well?

Travel thermos-type mugs with the wide bottoms.  They usually have lids to prevent mess even if they do get knocked over.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 10:12:09 AM »
a flask?   ;D  hehehe

Sounds like a great idea!  I was a vocal performance major for a couple of years and sang opera.   I was always looking for something to keep my voice in prime condition! 

In addition to hydration, you might consider an herb that would naturally reduce swelling.  I know of singers who take an ibuprofin everytime before they sing to help reduce the swelling of the vocal chords.

Also, perhaps consider something for nerves - an herb to help you relax.  I actually had a teacher in a master class tell me that I needed to start drinking martinis before I sang.  I was 19 at the time, and still don't drink at all, so this one really threw me for a loop!  :) 

I look forward to hearing what you come up with!  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 12:08:04 PM »
Catnip would probably be good for swelling and relaxing - just a thought.
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
a flask?   ;D  hehehe

Sounds like a great idea!  I was a vocal performance major for a couple of years and sang opera.   I was always looking for something to keep my voice in prime condition! 

Ok, you'll now have to give us all a sample recording.... ;D ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 02:47:53 PM »
In addition to sharing any recipes that you might use, could those of you that use herbs maybe name the 5 herbs you would think most helpful in a tea or diffusion for this purpose? I haven't decided on exactly what I will use at this point and would be interested in the ingredients you think would be most helpful.

I'm wondering if an astringent like plantain or alum might be a good ingredient to use to prevent swelling of overused vocal chords. Opinions?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 03:06:07 PM »
SC, do you sing?  Or is this for someone else?  I have used licorice and it has worked well for the "soothing" part. It was a licorice throat drop that I bought in a little box at my local health food store, but you could make your own with licorice and slippery elm.  Lemon and honey seem to work well for soothing and for opening of the chords.  Fresh pineapple( and juiced) is anti-inflammatory and works well at soothing. 
My mother was a professional singer for a time and they always took a swig of a strong drink before going on. ;)  That was the 70's, though, so I don't think you would want to go that route, but it does work!!
My list:
1. Licorice/Slippery Elm
2. Lemon and honey
3. Pineapple
4. Garlic
5. Whisky or vodka(he he)

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »
I make what can be termed a joyful noise.

We worshipped with a small local congregation this morning, and the pastor had traveled all night to be there. I noticed that his voice was raspy, and the water just doesn't seem to do the trick.

In my past, I did do some speaking and singing (VERY limited), so I remember that it was always a challenge to keep in good voice -- especially before a competition.
But don't be misled -- I AM NOT a singer. I just thought this would be a good project for ministers, preachers, and singers -- something I could do to contribute . . .

. . Because I am a TREMENDOUS listener! ;D

The drink I'm thinking of would also help to hydrate the speaker/singer. In the case of a speaker, sips would be taken throughout the presentation. This could lead to some slurring of the summary if I included alcohol -- plus, alcohol isn't the best for hydration. But it does make for some comical scenarios in my mind ::)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 06:59:18 AM »
This could lead to some slurring of the summary if I included alcohol -- plus, alcohol isn't the best for hydration. But it does make for some comical scenarios in my mind ::)

Well, I kinda stated it as a joke.  I wasn't really serious, but I hope you did get a chuckle out of it.  ;)

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »
Hi  SC,
I used to use a spray that was intended to lubricate the throat and help prevent snoring. I don't snore, but I found it got rid of my minor sore throats/ scratchiness. I also made singing and speaking for long periods very easy on the voice. I loved it. You would spray a couple of squirts int the back of your throat and hold for 30 sec before swallowing. If you ate or drank anything except water afterward you had to reapply. The compnay that made it went out of business.

I found an old bottle. It was made of (per serving of 2 sprays):
Olive oil 132mg
Sesame oil 66mg
Peppermint oil  38mg
Almond oil 18 mg
Sunflower oil 18 mg
Vit C 3mg
Vit E 5mg
Vit B6 2mg
Base of water,glycerin, and lecithin

I hope this helps. I know it's not really herbal, but it really works! PS, works for snoring too.
Jen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 10:39:05 AM »
Hey, Jen, I've got most of those ingredients on hand. Now, I've just got to figure out the best mix and find a pump that would spray the oils.

I might still try to mix up some sort of tea though. Keep the ideas coming. I'll share the results from my "lab/kitchen" with you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 10:56:47 AM »
Hey, Jen, I've got most of those ingredients on hand. Now, I've just got to figure out the best mix and find a pump that would spray the oils.

I might still try to mix up some sort of tea though. Keep the ideas coming. I'll share the results from my "lab/kitchen" with you.

I mixed some glycerine, aloe, and some essential oils together with some witch hazel and a little bit of water.  The recipe didn't turn out the way I wanted, BUT the point is, I didn't have any trouble spraying it with a cheap little air pump from Walmart (just like a hairspray bottle).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 03:54:53 PM »
Okay this is what I've come up with. It may not be the final version, but so far, I'm pleased with the results. It has worked well to clear my passages of any post nasal drip and mucus. I wouldn't try it on children, but if you can handle spicy food, this will be okay for adults and older kids.

It isn't as spicy when taken by mouth. I just put it on the back of my tongue and hold there. The taste is mild. I suspect that the spicy/stinging that I've noticed in the nasal passages are due to some of the ingredients hitting irritated tissues. Feel free to experiment and share what works best for you as we are all still learning  :).

Oh, I got one of those cheap pump spray travel sized bottles for this stuff. The pump sprayer didn't hold up. It may be because I kept it in the refrigerator. I don't know. But you may find that a simple, small container with lid works well enough.

I place the following in a quart sized jar:
1/4 tsp (1 capsule) Cayenne Pepper (100 HU)
3 Tbsp licorice root (dried, square cut)
1 Tbsp powdered cinnamon
1 tsp powdered goldenseal
Note: you may wish to place these in a cotton tea bag. The licorice root gets a little slimy and makes it hard to filter the resulting decoction.

Fill the jar with boiling filtered water and cover. Let cool. Strain the liquid and discard the herbs.

In a 4 ounce container, place the following:
1/2 oz sesame oil (expeller pressed)
1/2 oz vegetable glycerin
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp vitamin C crystals
7 vitamin E capsules (pierce and squeeze them out -- 400 IU each)

Top off the 4 ounce container with the decoction you made in the quart jar. I keep both refrigerated.

Shake well. Place a drop of the mixture in your nostril and lean your head way back, allowing the liquid to drip back into the passage. If your tissues are irritated, you will experience some burning, but no worse than if you like Chinese mustard or Blenheim's Ginger Ale. It has a pleasant taste that doesn't burn when taken by mouth.

When taken by mouth, I find that this helps with sore throats. I suspect that it would help kill bacteria associated with tonsil stones and/or dental disease. I would suggest gargling with it for throat irritations and using it as an oral rinse for mouth sores. Otherwise hold it at the back of the throat for a few minutes and then swallow.

Used as a nose spray, I think this may help some types of headaches. It may be useful in this application to help fend off cravings for sweets. If you don't have a spray, you can just place a drop in the nostril and lean your head backwards. You could also use a cotton swab, although I find that this doesn't deposit the same amount as allowing a drop to run into the passage.

Let me know what you think.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 04:01:11 PM »
I just made some tea with equal parts Thyme and Peppermint for my sore throat.  Thyme was recommended for cough and congestion on bulkherbstore.com and I bought some to experiment with.  I added a teaspoon of honey to soften the taste.  It worked very well to make the scratchy soreness receed.  My husband just happened to have a High School Choir reunion on the same day and had been singing all day.  His vocal chords were pretty overworked.  I gave him some of this tea and he said it tasted odd but palatable and it soothed his vocal chords.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 04:35:50 PM »
Very interesting recipe, SC!  Now, did you where a white overcoat, puff out your hair like a mad-scientist and go:  "ah ah ahhhh"?!   ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 04:42:44 PM »
How'd you guess?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 04:54:43 PM by SC »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »
 ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 06:44:16 PM »
LOL!!! You two are too funny!!!  How do you all insert something like that?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 06:45:35 PM »
LOL!!! You two are too funny!!!  How do you all insert something like that?

"Additional Options"  Look under the box when you are typing.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 06:51:36 PM »

"Additional Options"  Look under the box when you are typing.

I have been here, how long?  and have never noticed this.  UGH!