Author Topic: Cardiac Syndrome X  (Read 3387 times)

YoopreMama

Cardiac Syndrome X
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
http://www.texasheartinstitute.org/HIC/Topics/cond/CardiacSyndromeX.cfm

Looking this up for a friend...anyone has experience with it?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Re: Cardiac Syndrome X
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:27:26 AM »
ME! ME! ME! *waving hand wildly*

I had NO idea they were calling it that! Cardiac Syndrome X?? Wow, that's a new one to me, but completely describes what I experienced (still do, periodically), complete with the chest pain that radiates up into the neck (left side for me.) I NEVER had anything like this until March 2006, when my stress level in nursing school was off the charts--a lot of nursing students experience panic attacks, stress-related illness, etc, according to my instructors. Hmmm, seems they almost enjoy inflicting pain upon their students.....

Anyway, I finally did go to the walk-in clinic b/c it got so bad one day, and I didn't want to pay for an ER visit. I watched everybody pretty much scramble and I was bumped to the top of the list to be seen, followed by an immediate EKG and an order to take 4 baby aspirin. After all the commotion, the MD on duty simply stated, "It's stress. You're fine--go to the ER if it happens again." Whatever. I wasn't really impressed b/c I NEVER go to the doc or clinic unless it is serious. They just told me they saw nothing on the EKG and it was nothing to worry about. Sure. For them.

The pain continued all thru nursing school, and even up to a full year later, with symptoms pretty much persistant every day. They finally started to subside, but when my stress levels get high, it comes back with a vegeance. The only things that help are exercise (the article says makes it worse) and extra magnesium on a daily basis.

Other than that, I have learned to live with it, mostly.  :-\

"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

YoopreMama

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:03:56 PM »
:D

ME! ME! ME! *waving hand wildly*

I had NO idea they were calling it that! Cardiac Syndrome X?? Wow, that's a new one to me, but completely describes what I experienced (still do, periodically), complete with the chest pain that radiates up into the neck (left side for me.) I NEVER had anything like this until March 2006, when my stress level in nursing school was off the charts--a lot of nursing students experience panic attacks, stress-related illness, etc, according to my instructors. Hmmm, seems they almost enjoy inflicting pain upon their students.....

Anyway, I finally did go to the walk-in clinic b/c it got so bad one day, and I didn't want to pay for an ER visit. I watched everybody pretty much scramble and I was bumped to the top of the list to be seen, followed by an immediate EKG and an order to take 4 baby aspirin. After all the commotion, the MD on duty simply stated, "It's stress. You're fine--go to the ER if it happens again." Whatever. I wasn't really impressed b/c I NEVER go to the doc or clinic unless it is serious. They just told me they saw nothing on the EKG and it was nothing to worry about. Sure. For them.

The pain continued all thru nursing school, and even up to a full year later, with symptoms pretty much persistent every day. They finally started to subside, but when my stress levels get high, it comes back with a vengeance. The only things that help are exercise (the article says makes it worse) and extra magnesium on a daily basis.

Other than that, I have learned to live with it, mostly.  :-\
I had just heard of it...a friend's husband has it...he's 39, I think.  I think she said that he has a history of men in his family with heart attacks in their 30s.  Not sure if it's related/hereditary?

Did I also read it strikes women more?

Magnesium, huh?  No other medications?  And exercise, even it's not recommended?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
Yep, exercise DOES help, so I am convinced it is stress-induced. And no, no other medications (drugs), except the regular daily regimen (multi,cal/mag, extra mag, fish oil, and probiotics). I did find that cayenne helped with the most serious of the pain, but did not continue on it--let's just say that my dupa could not get used to it!

I did look into EDTA at this point b/c I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack. At age 38. No kidding. I was in some serious pain and the really scary part is when it radiated up into my neck.

The EDTA really didn't help--in fact, all I got from it was lower back aches. I really think it was pulling far too many minerals out of my body, which I couldn't balance, so I gave it up. I've been thinking about doing it again, though, for different reasons.

I hope your friend's husband takes it seriously. Especially with the family history. He could try the cayenne, hawthorne, magnesium and even EDTA for chelating heavy metals. Perhaps exercise would benefit him, too. Just brisk walking every day is enough to dissipate my pain. COQ10 (I haven't tried due to cost) is reported to help with cardiac issues, and don't forget good old fish oil.

I'd like to keep him in prayer. I know how scary this can be. :-\

MS
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141