Author Topic: Acupuncture, your experience  (Read 8754 times)

Offline momof4boys

• Adept
Acupuncture, your experience
« on: October 02, 2006, 04:20:22 AM »
My dear hubby and I have a 16 year old son who was diagnosed at 4 with apraxia (a disorder that affects their brain, speech, motor skills).  He is about on a 5 year old level with school work.  His vocabulary is very small.  He doesn't have a lot of small motor skill strength.

I have been digging into natural eating and healing lately.  During this time some friends told us about a Chinese doctor about three hours from where we live that does herbs and acupunture.  Several of their friends and family have used him with wonderful results.  So, my dear husband took our son yesterday to see him.  He recommended acupunture 2x a week and some herbal tea.  He did one treatment of acupunture yesterday.  We cannot afford to drive three hours 1x a week much less 2x.  I found out this morning that we have an acupunture practitioner only 30 mins. from here. My question.  Have any of you used acupunture and if so what have your results been.

My son has a habit of twisting his fingers all day long.  I am constantly telling him to straighten them.  It has gotten worse in the last couple of years it is now to where is pinky fingers are beginning to turn in.  Well, after that treatment yesterday my husband noticed that he didn't twist his fingers for the rest of the day!!  I am trying to research this more but would love to hear from any others on their experience.

Thanks so much!!
Deanna
Faith does not deny the reality of the difficulty.
Faith declares the POWER of God in the face of it.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: Acupuncture, your experience
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 04:46:54 AM »
My understanding is that accupuncture is based on a Chinese popular cultural belief of Chi (chee).  Chi is energy.  There is good energy and bad energy and the accupuncture is supposed to relieve you of the bad chi.  This is pretty hard to believe.  Accupressure, however, focuses on pressure points that help in circulation and can relieve nausea or induce labor or help any numbr of problems (supposedly). 

If I were going alternative, I'd be more likely to try the accupressure (massage therapy) than then accupuncture.  My husband went to boarding school and his room mate was from South Korea.  He used accupunture on himself and believed in it very strongly.  I wondered if it was the whole mind over matter, placebo effect or if there was some validity.  Just my 2 cents worth. 
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Rita

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 05:00:14 AM »
Not only did I work for a Chiropractor/Nutritionist, but he also did acupuncture and I.V. therapies.  I have seen amazing results from the little bit of  acupuncture that he did.  From one girl with  profuse sweating to an older lady with severe pain, it helped with all.  I say go for it.  This is a natural approach with major healing benefits.  And with you son's finger twisting, whoohoo!!! what amazing results God has shown you!!!!

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 05:01:56 AM »
I know that when my aunt was pregnant she was having terrible back pain and could hardly function. She went to an acupuncturist in town who was a master of acupuncture, but he was a Christian and didn't include any of the Tao religion. The acupuncturist healed her back miraculously and she was forever thankful. Their family is very conservative, but she doesn't hesitate to praise this man's work and would recommend acupuncture in a heart beat.

While the religion is as false as any other, acupuncture has definite healing qualities.

I hope your experience is successful. Please let us know what you thought/how things worked.

:)

Offline momof4boys

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 08:48:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies!  I have found and emailed the clinic that is close to us.  He is a certified doctor and acupuncturiest.  He even works with the local rehab hospital.  It looks promising.  I will update when I know more.  Thanks again!
Deanna   :)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 09:17:01 AM »
i have had great results with my food allergies with accupuncture.  just remember that there are many different kinds of accupuncture and they are not all the same.  also, it can be used with other things, i have used Primal Defense, but it would not do the same thing on it's own.  i agree that it is a great natural treatment.  also, keep in mind, i started out going 6 or 7 days between treatments, and my symptoms would sometimes show up before my appt. day.  i did weekly treatments for 5 months or so, gradually stretching it out to 2 weeks between appts, then 3.  sometimes healing miracles take time!  i believe i will continue to use this.  it sounds like you have had a great showing of what could happen already!  God be with you in your use of this treatment!   :)

i personally think that the Chinese have messed up religion, but that they are on to something in the way of natural healing.  we "Westerners" need to be careful that we don't dismiss what they know, just because it sounds strange to us.  we are cutting of our nose to spite our face if we dismiss it.   :o 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 10:26:37 AM »
A lady I used to work for had terrible morning sickness. She felt that acupuncture helped alot.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:26:43 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline 5littlegraphs

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 11:07:48 AM »
Hi. My husband and I take our whole family to see a doctor of oriental medicine (DOM) and it has worked wonders for us. Our doc uses herbs in combination with accupuncture and accupressure. I believe it is worth it. My oldest son no longer suffers from grass allergies and can run and play in the little bit of grass we do have in this dry land! He is working my daughter to ease a wheat allergy. And the list is way too long to tell what he has helped me and my husband with!  :D

As for the spiritual side, our doc happens to be a follower of Christ and does not incorporate any of the spiritualism of the Chinese. That was a great quote about cutting off our noses to spite our face!! If you are unsure about your practitioner, ask......Many will put that aside at a request of a patient.

I hope you continue to see progress in your son. Praise God for all the miracles He gives!

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 06:38:06 PM »
Herbalmom, how is your son doing? Have you been going to the acupuncture? I do hear great things about them when it involves pain. I have been to lots of seminars on acupuncture, but have not tried it.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 07:13:08 PM »
It's not my son, it's momof4boys. We both use the yellow rose for our avatar which I think is probably why you mixed us up. Blessings ~herbalmom

Herbalmom, how is your son doing? Have you been going to the acupuncture? I do hear great things about them when it involves pain. I have been to lots of seminars on acupuncture, but have not tried it.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 02:57:56 AM »
It's not my son, it's momof4boys. We both use the yellow rose for our avatar which I think is probably why you mixed us up. Blessings ~herbalmom

You are right. Momof4boys how is your son? What do you think of acupuncture? See my post above.

Offline momof4boys

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 03:04:34 AM »
HerbalMom, I changed my picture so maybe we won't be confused ;).
As for my son.  I am sorry to say we haven't found an doctor around our area that will do acupuncture on him.  The doctor I found will only do it for pain relief.  I am continuing to research that as well as other alternatives.  We are also looking into moving so I am now searching in that area for a natural doctor and acupuncturist.  Thanks ladies!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 04:55:49 PM »
HerbalMom, I changed my picture so maybe we won't be confused ;).

Thanks, but you didn't have to. There are a few of us that use the yellow rose so some mix ups are bound to happen. Even I have been looking for one of my posts & skimmed along looking for the rose & didn't realize it wasn't me until I started reading the post.  ::) ::) ::) I would change my avatar if I could figure out how.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? As much as I like the yellow rose, I would love a white rose with a little bit of yellow & pink. I forget the name of the rose- I think it's a peace rose but I'm not sure. My grandfather used to grow them & they are my favorite rose. Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 02:47:47 AM »

I would change my avatar if I could figure out how.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? As much as I like the yellow rose, I would love a white rose with a little bit of yellow & pink. I forget the name of the rose- I think it's a peace rose but I'm not sure. My grandfather used to grow them & they are my favorite rose. Blessings ~herbalmom 

Hi herbalmom,

TO change your avatar.  Look in the upper right hand corner where your avatar shows up (on the side board), click on your name, right underneath.  On the left side it will say "profile info" click on the "Look at Profile Information"  From there you can choose a personalized picture, If you have one on a website you can type in the URL for that, or you can upload one to your computer.

Hope this helps.....I may not recognize you w/o the yellow rose though!

HTH
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 06:17:54 PM »
My naturopath wants to try acupuncture on me to help with my autoimmune disease, antiphospholipid syndrome.  He's a born again Christian, and and M.D., so I'm not concerned about that.  But he said something about the acupuncture "dilating" my organs to help flush toxins out.  Anybody ever heard of this?  Also, does it hurt?  I have images of myself looking like a steel porcupine.  Shots have never bothered me, but maybe acupuncture is different?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 02:12:32 AM »
i don't know about the dialating organs, but i think it's relaxing.  i always feel better afterwards.  the needles don't go in a vein, so it's really not comparable to drawing blood or shots.  they are very tiny, and depending on what your condition is, they will put them in the appropriate spaces.  there are many different types of accupuncture, so it's possible to get a bad dr. or experience.  it is very effective though.  my chinese herbal dr. tells me they should be " achey".  that describes it, it's not really pain. it has helped me a LOT.  i've had it for almost 2 years, and just ran out of medflex money to pay for it with.  so i guess we are about to find out how effective it is long term.  i was going every 2 weeks.  my gal also told me that where she went in china that they do acupuncture every day for 10 days.  i think it is more effective that way if you have a chance, to do it several days in a row.   i really hope it helps you. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

earthymomof2

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 02:58:01 AM »
I felt great after acupuncture too.  I could actually feel my hands and feet becoming warm as I sat there with the needles in (I'm always cold) and afterwards I felt so completely relaxed.  It was nice.  A couple of my needles began to have a burning sensation at the site, but I think that meant it was working (the chi was flowing, I guess....ha ha ha).  I would have liked to continue the treatments.  I really believe they're very effective.  I don't know exactly what your doctor meant by opening your "organs", but what the Chinese mean by organs and what our Western understanding of organs is, are two different things.  They're completely different systems.  Its hard to understand without reading up on it.  I read the "Infertility Cure" by Randine Lewis and learned a lot about chinese medicine as it pertains to the female reproductive system.  She gives an overview of the Chinese systems and ties in Western diagnoses with it so you can get the parallelisms.  Let me know if you want to borrow it.  It's very intriguing.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 05:55:04 AM »
Has anyone tryed EFT from what I read it is a form of acupuncture but without the needles?
I still am very sceptical about Chinese Medicine being a Concervative Christian.

The other question is has anyone ever used this for weight loss?

This topic has been split.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,12833.msg119541
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 02:47:45 PM »
I have my first acupuncture appointment in the morning, and I'm wondering, how naked do you have to get?  My husband is going with me, but it still makes me uncomfortable.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »
You only uncover the area to be treated.  If you wear loose clothing you should be able to adjust things just fine without actually taking anything off.  Maybe a loose button-up shirt and a skirt with an elastic waist.  There are so many accupuncture points it is hard to say where the needles will be placed.  I have had them on my ankles, feet, knees, hands, over my liver.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 03:08:59 PM by DHW »