Author Topic: Homemade French Fries  (Read 9724 times)

Offline dara

• Master
Homemade French Fries
« on: January 01, 2007, 04:29:41 PM »
Alright, this is straying a bit, but while we're talking about potatoes....

Which type and method of frying/oven frying is best for crispy homefries? If I fry 'tatoes in my cast iron skillet, they stick, and they're not crispy; if I bake them tossed in olive oil, they still aren't crispy... so what works? I have tried tossing them in flour first, and that doesn't seem to make a difference. Any input?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Homemade French Fries
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »
umm...I made some baked steak fries for lunch today and they were too crispy ::) more like chips. ;D Couldn't even eat them all :-[
 For baking the thing that gets them crispiest is--- :o mayo. (use a health kind ;)) I like to bake at 375 for 11/2 hrs. for steak fries; less time for thinnly sliced "chips". I use butter or other oils too.
 For panfrying it takes  a very well-seasoned cast iron skillet on medium heat and a looong fry time. Don't make your layer too thick and don't turn until you are sure they are browned on the first side. Oh and to keep them from sticking... make sure your pan is hot (over the medium heat), put in your oil, wait til the oil is hot and then put in your potatoes. It also helps to dry your potatoes first in a towel.I am using expeller-pressed coconut oil, "chicken" fat, sunflower/safflower or olive oil for panfrying. HTH

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Homemade French Fries
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »

Which type and method of frying/oven frying is best for crispy homefries?

Have you soaked your potatoes in water before baking?  I soak mine for an hour or so, dry them and then bake.  They are fairly crispy after that.  HTH.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Homemade French Fries
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:04:02 AM »
Alright, this is straying a bit, but while we're talking about potatoes....

Which type and method of frying/oven frying is best for crispy homefries? If I fry 'tatoes in my cast iron skillet, they stick, and they're not crispy; if I bake them tossed in olive oil, they still aren't crispy... so what works? I have tried tossing them in flour first, and that doesn't seem to make a difference. Any input?
I haven't researched the health properties on this, but my cousin just started using peanut oil and is very pleased with the crispiness of his fries.  I got them to switch from using pure soy vegatable oil.  I'm sure peanut oil has got to better than this, but I don't know how much better.

I've always had good luck using lard in my deep fryer, but I've not tried making fries out of potatoes yet.  I've only used the frozen ones from a bag.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
Homemade French Fries
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:41:59 AM »
Fries...

Oven Fries Recipe and Classic French Fries Recipe give some basic info.

Essentailly, deep fried fries are chilled in ice water, quickly dried & put in 325degree peanut oil (corn oil came in a close second place for taste in these tests.) until they are limp, soft & slightly golden.  Then they are taken out of the oil to rest for 10 minutes & drain (up to 2 hours is OK & freezing at this stage is OK too). 

To serve, heat oil to 350 degrees & add tatoz.  Keep them moving so they don't lump up.  Fry till medium-brown & puffed - about 8-10 minutes.  The two-stage fry seems to be the key & really does make a crisp outside.

This works dandy & could potentially replace frozen, store bought fries... if one was that prepared, had freezer space & such.... which this one is not.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Homemade French Fries
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »
Thanks Sarah.  I'm anxious to try this.  We like to keep frozen fries around for something quick, but all of them are soaked in hydrogenated fats and soy products. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Homemade French Fries
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:08:45 AM »
We just got home-rendered tallow and a brand new deep fryer.  The two together and Sarah's 2-step fry method works wonderfully.  A little bird told me to add vinegar to the soaking water.  I tried plain water, vinegar water and salt water.  My opinion is that the salt water worked the best, but the difference between the three was not significant.

These fries are so GOOD.  Haven't tried them with any other oils yet and Lord willing to provide a consistent source of tallow I won't have to.  These are not very greasy either.  I've noticed with the tallow that the oil level hasn't decreased in several uses the way that peanut oil and/or tallow often does.  It seems to cook much cleaner.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Wind_Dancer

• {Queen Lucy the Valient}
  • Learning
  • Little sister to CrimsonRose
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »
I recently made french fries. Yumm! They were so good, we didn't have any leftover. I used the Perfect French recipe from Bobby Flay’s Burgers, Fries, and Shakes.

Perfect French Fries (serves 4)
5 large Russet potatoes, peeled
1 quart peanut oil
Kosher salt

1. Cut the potatoes lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice lengthwise into 1/4 –inch-thick fries. Put fries in a large bowl of cold water and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
2. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed medium stockpot over medium heat to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
3. Drain the fries well and pat dry in batches with paper towels. Fry each batch, turning frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the fries are a pale blond color and limp. Remove with a mesh skimmer to the baking sheet lined with paper towels.
4. Increase heat to 375 degrees F.
5. Fry the potatoes again, in batches, turning frequently, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with the skimmer and drain on clean paper towels. Season immediately with salt and serve hot.

I used a 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven, which worked great has long as I consistently stirred the fries. It did take about 3 minutes longer on the second time in the oil per batch. Also I doubled the number of potatoes. And it took about an hour start to finish frying the french fries.

Wind_Dancer

God Bless The Troops!

Offline Sakirjaman

• Nettoyage de Tapis Nettoyage Imperial Montreal
  • Wide Eyed
    • Nettoyage de Tapis  Montreal
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 05:31:41 AM »
Homemade French Fries is vary good for eat, but some time we have no enough time to made it at home, so we eat french fries in restaurant, many restaurant found fresh food but some time they have not fresh food, when we take this kind of food its dangerous for us, thats why we need homemade food.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:33:38 AM by Sakirjaman »