Author Topic: Whooping Cough/Pertussis: Diagnosis & Treatments  (Read 82523 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Whooping Cough/Pertussis: Diagnosis & Treatments
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2009, 03:51:08 AM »
In combination with Albuterol? I do have a nebulizer it's just stored inconveniently. I've used rosemary and rabbit tobacco for inhaled treatments. Mullein sounds like another good one to try.

A couple drops of Eucalyptus oil in a washcloth tucked in the pillowcase under the pillow or near the head of the bed works well. It's pretty strong. I don't think I would use that in a nebulizer.

Offline Angel*Network

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2009, 06:54:58 PM »
Thanks. I'm sorta new to the herbs. I haven't heard of rabbit tobacco. I was reading some things online and had read that the tea would not be sterile so I chickened out because I didn't want to make anything worse, but I'm glad to hear from someone who has tried it. Have a great night!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »
I'm thinking Boysmama was saying that she heated a pot of tea made with the herbs and then inhaled the steam, not that she had used them in a nebulizer. Please correct me if I'm wrong, boysmama.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
WR, is correct. The rabbit tobbaco "inhaled" treatment I used recently was steam.

However, I have used rosemary tea in the nebulizer. I think I might also try rabbit tobacco if the situation necessitated using something in the nebulizer. Ideally though, you would use a steam tent, a steam humidifier in a closed room or something similar instead of the nebulizer. It seems easier as well as taking away the "non- sterile" concern. Really thinking of eliminating the nebulizer all together at our house.  :)

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »
I'm posting this several places because I really advice.

Our 7 mo. old son has had a cough for 2 1/2 months. It started with a rattley chest, (lasted about a month) then started coughing quite a bit, and lots of runny nose. My other children were treated for whooping cough at the time baby's rattle started, and the dr put baby on the antibiotics too. (So the whole family, myself included were on a 5 day antibiotic round of Zyrtec).

Baby did not show any signs of improvement while on antbtx - tho' he didn't seem "sick", just a rattle in his chest when he breathed. (yay for useless drugs! :P )

I'm concerned now, because he is STILL coughing, still has the deep rattle, and still has a snotty nose most of the time. I dread bringing him in and getting MORE antibiotics, but I feel like I must do something for him... He acts normal, otherwise, and has not had breathing issues at all. Please advise! :)

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2010, 03:17:14 PM »
  Have you tried goot? Right on the back and chest should help a good deal I'd think.
   Also breathing steamy water with essential oils in it helps. (Like eucalyptus, lavender and peppermint. I have only used one at a time never mixed. you might be able too but I am not sure)
     I do not like getting antibiotics. And would do everything I could not too. Praying it is solved soon for you.
    ~Em

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »
I use the eucalyptus/lavender/peppermint combo diluted with a carrier oil and applied to chest all the way around to include the back, and on the throat, especially over any swollen lymph nodes.  It works well, although the peppermint has a cooling sensation that can be unpleasant in cold weather.  Sometimes I add a couple of drops of tea tree oil.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »
WTM member Gwen has three excellent blog posts. Please take time to read them.
Antibiotics will not help once the damage is already done to the lining of the lungs. Once you can hear the rattle it's past helping. There ARE some things that might help- natural antihistamines and antiinflammatories- even ones that are safe for baby!

I would be cautious in using eos topically on a baby that young. They have more skin to bodyweight and aren't as efficient in processing things through the liver as the eos eventually are.

Please read these links. It's like 20 pages of wtm in an easy read format.  ;D I know it's easy to skip info you have to click to read, but this is one you don't want to miss.

Part 1
http://www.gwens-nest.com/natural-remedies/whooping-cough

Part 2
http://www.gwens-nest.com/natural-remedies/whooping-cough-ii-dangers-diagnosis-treatments

Part 3  natural remedies (her baby was the same age so this should be very helpful)
http://www.gwens-nest.com/natural-remedies/whooping-cough-natural-remedies-for-prevention-and-treatment

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »
When we had whooping cough we also used the cough tea blend from Bulk Herb Store.  I don't remember what all is in there and if it is ok for babies that young, but you could check it out. 

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »
There has been an outbreak of whooping cough in our area. Does anyone know what to use as a preventative?

Offline pelican

• Learning
« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2012, 03:49:10 AM »
We've just had three of us get Whooping Cough.  My 4yr old son got it from a DPT booster.  Didn't realize it first but had already been giving him cod liver oil because of the immunization.  Then 7yr old sister got it and myself.  Continued with the CLO and started chewable C and some herbal tea.  After almost a week of coughing I started some investigating, thinking it may be related to the immunization.  When I read the symptoms and time line of pertussis I was surprised.  Did a google search for herbal/natural treatment for it.  Glad to find I had been doing a lot of what was suggested.  Picked up a cough syrup from health food store that worked great for night time coughing.  Cough syrup called "Planetary Herbals, Old Indian Wild Cherry Bark Syrup w/ Echinacea."  It contains a lot of the herbs that I found on line that was good.  Son had cough for only a week.  I think the early CLO really helped him.  My daughter and myself cough off and on, even through the day yet.  Do whatever you can to boost immune system and it greatly reduces the length of coughing time (can last 1-6 weeks).  Herbal teas I used....Mullein and some olive leaf simmered togther, yarrow, and peppermint (the easiest tea to get in my son).  And as usual, severely limit/cut out all together the junk food and extra sugar.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
I would use antibacterials in addition to immune boosters.for prevention.

Some things that come to mind that you may have on hand already... oil of oregano, garlic, vit D3, extra vit c, and essential oils diffused in the air.

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2012, 10:14:49 AM »
The day after I asked about preventatives, I started getting a frog in my throat. The last four days, my throat has gradually gotten more and more swollen, I have started coughing a little, and my nose is runny. An occasional sneeze and today my throat is sore, not just swollen. Does this sound like the beginning stages of whooping cough?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2012, 01:46:33 PM »
It could be any bacterial or viral illness at this point.  :-\ If you are concerned or would want to do the antibiotics, get a doctor or health department nurse to do the throat swab to test for WC. As a heads up...many times they don't want to, or can't do the swab and just want to prescribe antibiotics prophylactically.

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2012, 04:13:19 AM »
I think I have it. I was up most of last night coughing. Each time I would try to lay down, I would have a bad coughing attack and could hardly breath. I'm diabetic and have celiac, so this could get messy.

Offline Melba

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2012, 04:13:13 AM »
My two kids (7&9) have whooping cough. I discovered it early when my daughter was coughing a bit and I heard that a classmate had it. I took them both out of school and had them tested. A few days later, my son broke out in chicken pox too. I have been giving them Pertussin nosodes and homeopathic remedies for the cough (drosera for my daughter, crudum for my son) I have also put them on a dairy free, low meat diet of mainly soups, veggies and fruit. My daughter had some vomiting but no whoop. I used a garlic poultice on her feet (protected with Vaseline and a cloth) at night and from the first night, she stopped vomiting and her night coughing almost disappeared. My son couldn't have this with his cp but his cough is now progressing and worse at night so I forced him to have the poultice and he is sleeping really well. I have also massaged her every night and beaten her back with cupped hands to move the phlegm in her chest. Again, because of sores on my sons back, I have only just started doing this. In addition they have had 1000mg vit C, vit D, lots of lemon, ginger, honey and turmeric. They are doing well and not traumatized by the coughing. Their coughs are quite different. They both have had croup many times and are not alarmed by the cough which helps. My daughter is now waiting for her cp spots, Just in time for her birthday. Btw. My son took Rhus tox for the CP itching and had painful blisters but no itchiness.

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2012, 06:00:50 AM »
If coughs are persistent or get really bad (some of mine did when they had chicken pox) you can use mullein. It works amazing on the lungs and was the only thing that really helped them get over it. I often get sever coughs and mullein will clear it up faster than anything.