Author Topic: Just saw the film, Food, Inc. now what do I eat?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
Just saw the film, Food, Inc. now what do I eat?
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:21:17 PM »
Has anyone seen the film Food, Inc.?
 it was hugely eye opening for me and pretty distrubing. You can watch it on Netflix instant play-

For those of you who haven't seen it, it is a must see. For those of you who have seen it, now what?
 Did it affect the way you eat? We now will not be eating any fast food ever again not even if we are starving! We are also thinking of buying a 1/4 grass fed cow from a local farm and pretty much making everything from scratch, it's going to take a bit to relearn how to eat without any processed foods especially when I thought we didn't eat any already. :o

I would love to hear any thoughts from others good or bad and ugly:)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Just saw the film, Food, Inc. now what do I eat?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:58:45 AM »
 :D

It's an eye opening experience, isn't it? 
I had a similar eye opening about 25 yrs ago, so I hope I can offer a little insight.  We do what we can. 
You may want to start by reading some threads in  Recipes, Menus & Diet Plans .

Bravo for you for wanting to change how you eat.  It's a wonderful and positive change to make and this site is a great source of information.   Buying from a local farm is one of the keys, in my experience.  You will be supporting real people rather than industry and you will have a better food product.  Networking with others is a way to find sources for good food, too.  Buying locally grown foods that are in season and storing them is another step you may consider.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:32:49 PM »
We just watched Food, Inc. and wow, I knew things were bad but this is incredible. As soon as the local Farmer's Market starts back up, we plan to check it out. Thankfully we almost never eat fast food anyway. I make almost all my food from scratch because we discovered my husband's migraine headaches were coming from preservatives -first in meat products but once they were eliminated, we quickly started discovering other products to eliminate. This movie made my husband think being a vegetarian sounded good.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:30:01 AM »
If you live somewhere where you can hunt that is a good option, Alaska is great for that, we filled out freezer with moose, salmon and other local game only costing the gas to get places, tackle etc... :) When Healthy meat is in question game beats the price of Organic any day. :)

Sadly we only got half of our limit of salmon, and we just ate the last of it last night.  :'( We LOVE salmon. Dh and I ate 15 in 6 months! Salmon wont be running for another 5 months or so.  :-[

Also call up your butcher that processes grass fed meats and see how much their scraps and bones cost. Ours is going to give me soup bones for free!

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »
As of right now, there isn't much hunting in our life! We do have the ability to obtain some ground venison during hunting season and have quite a bit in the freezer. I have cooked a couple squirrels because we told our boys they could hunt if they were going to eat what they took in hunting. They ate the squirrels and tanned the hides.